The Aftermath: UFC 103

crocopI was surprised, and a little bit disappointed that Rich Franklin didn’t at least attempt to take the fight to the ground. Although I picked Franklin to win in this fight, I had no idea he was planning on standing and banging with Belfort. That gameplan made little, to no sense to me. Vitor has explosive punching power, there’s no questioning that, and few thought that Franklin was going to be able to defeat “The Phenom” in a striking competition. The outline to beat Belfort was there, most notably in Vitor’s bout with Tito Ortiz at UFC 51: Get him off of those feet where he can’t drop those big bombs, and grind him out. Vitor fought his fight, and was the better man on Saturday evening, I just feel like Rich may have went about fighting him the wrong way.

How does beating Franklin at 195 pounds justify an immediate title shot at 185 pounds? In my opinion it doesn’t. Definitely not over guys like Dan Henderson, Nate Marquardt or Yushin Okami. All of those guys have at least fought at middleweight in the UFC before. When has Vitor fought at middleweight in the Octagon before again? Oh, that’s right, never. So it makes all the sense in the world to give him a shot at Silva before the previously noted challengers because it’s a sexier match-up, right? Wrong. Belfort can get in line. I’d love to see him face off with any of the guys I mentioned before, but unless Henderson is facing Anderson in his next bout, I see a move up in weight in his immediate future. Here’s my suggestion: How about we set up Marquardt vs. Belfort right now, winner fights Silva when he’s fit to return from elbow surgery. Henderson goes up to 205, and Okami learns how to be more marketable. Problem solved.

It’s official folks, Cro Cop was overrated. Lets be real, the Cro Cop we came to fear and love is no more. As a matter of fact, once feared knockout artist has come a long way from the period in time where he was indiscriminately kicking men in their skulls, leaving a trail of unconscious bodies in his wake. The last time Mirko delivered one of those highlight reel head kicks most fans have come to associate with him against a much smaller Wanderlei Silva in 2006, and the next one down was over five years ago. Think about that people. It’s been over five years since has knocked anyone his size out with his trademark left high kick. Before that it was Igor Vovchanchyn and Dos Caras Jr. A far cry from the top dogs in the UFC’s heavyweight division of today. Are there still fights Cro Cop can win? Certainly. Will he ever be a champion in the UFC, absolutely not. The riddle has been solved. Cro Cop needs to fight at his pace and doesn’t respond well to being bullied. Just another fallen hero from the glory days of PRIDE FC, and a testament to the constant evolution of this amazing sport we have had the good fortune to watch develop.

I still can’t seem to figure out why so little emphasis was put on dragging Paul Daley to the ground on Martin Kampmann’s end. I know he tried to take him down once early on, but after that it was like Kampmann just settled in to trading with Daley. Horrible idea. If there’s one thing Daley is good at, it’s knocking his opponents out. I don’t think it would be a good idea for anyone to stand and bang with the heavy handed UK knockout artist at 170 pounds, period. After Kampmann landed his first strike of significance, a hard knee in the clinch, he made the fatal mistake of thinking Daley was wobbled, which he wasn’t. Now I know that Paul has incredible takedown defense so I’m not saying that it would have been easy for Kampmann to drag him down, but there’s no question that he should have at least put some effort into it. Live and learn, Martin is an incredibly talented fighter and I’m sure he’ll be back better than ever.

Anthony Johnson vs. Paul Daley anyone? Make this fight happen Joe Silva, please! The win over Kampmann made Daley instantly relevant at welterweight. After Johnson puts a beating on Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104 he’s going to be in a good place to challenge for the title as well. Now I’m not telling you how to do your job, but if I was in your shoes here’s what I do: I have Mike Swick fight Matt Hughes with the winner facing GSP for the title. In the meantime I have the winner of Johnson vs. Daley face the winner of Fitch vs. Almeida. From there, the winner faces the champion. Just an idea.

Josh Koscheck answered a lot of questions by executing the gameplan he did against Frank Trigg. Now I’m not going to say that Paulo Thiago got lucky when he dropped Kos with that big uppercut at UFC 95, but I do think that Koscheck “just got caught”. It’s not an excuse for being knocked out, but more of a reality at competing at this level of competition. Koscheck was executing his gameplan and winning the bout with Thiago before he got stopped. However, the fact that he got dropped made many, including myself, question his stand-up arsenal. A newly developed tool for the lifelong wrestler I had just began to have a certain level of faith in following his impressive stoppages of Dustin Hazelett and Yoshiyuki Yoshida. The fact that Josh chose to keep the fight standing and bang Trigg out let me know that Koscheck truly understands the circumstances of his last loss. If he would have came out and just took Trigg to the ground, which he could have, it would have made me think that he was second guessing his stand-up. Second guessing yourself in any area of MMA is no place to be once that cage door slams shut. Will Koscheck fight like a kickboxer for the rest of his days in the Octagon? I highly doubt it. He’s a smart guys and knows he has to keep his opponents guessing to obtain success in the cage in the long haul. A win over Trigg in the fashion that it came was the best possible scenario for Kos and his confidence. I fully expect for him to challenge for the title before the end of 2010.

Hermes Franca looked absolutely horrible. In more ways than one. First off, I don’t remember seeing a lightweight fighter rocking man-boobs outside of some shady regional shows in ages. Definitely not in the UFC. His atrocious physical condition combined with the creepy purple hair created a combination that served to transform Hermes into a human eyesore in HD. His punches were bush league. Sure, Franca hits like a truck, but his boxing seems to have stopped evolving in grade school. Watching Franca swing for the fences with those sloppy haymakers looked more like something I’d see in a Tough Man competition than something I’d expect to see in the highest level of professional fighting on the planet. I for one, won’t be looking forward to watching Franca fight in the near future.

How many of the UFC’s lightweights could make 145? Seriously, I think there’s no question that Franca should be at featherweight, and it seems like Griffin could possibly make the cut as well. Unless the UFC opens up a 145 pound division in the near future, we will continue to have guys fighting a weight class too heavy because of the increased opportunities that come from fighting in the UFC. Furthermore, I’d be shocked if we didn’t see guys like Urijah Faber, Mike Brown and Jose Aldo making the jump to 155 sooner rather than later.

Kudos to Tyson Griffin for not only finishing a fight, but finishing a guy like Franca. It’s a well known fact that Hermes is as tough as they come, having only been stopped by strikes once in his career that includes bouts with many of the best fighters in the world at lightweight. Not only did Griffin finish the bout, but he showed tremendous killer instinct by choosing to stick with his ground and pound assault on the hurt Franca after the dangerous submission fighter briefly went for a leg submission. Griffin could have easily bounced out of the situation and played the safe role, but he chose to commit to the beatdown he was laying on Franca, and because of that he scored one for the highlight reel.

The convincing win over Cole Miller made Efrain Escudero an instant force in the UFC’s lightweight division. If Miller ended up with his hand raised at the end of the bout he would have instantly been thrust into match-ups with some of the top dogs at 155 pounds. While Escudero should still have another fight or so in front of him before he starts getting those fights, a win over a guy like Miller propelled him up the lightweight ladder faster than the majority of the TUF winners in the past. Efrain fought his fight and showed why the ability to keep the fight where you want it to be is just so pivotal in this day and age. Miller’s best chance at winning this fight was on the ground. Escudero completely took that away from him by being the more powerful and dominant wrestler. He forced Miller into a stand-up fight without having to stuff a single takedown, making the first knockout of Escudero’s career look like business as usual to the constantly evolving 155 pounder. Nine submissions in twelve wins tells you that Escudero is quickly shaping up to be an incredible force in the UFC’s lightweight division of tomorrow.

• Lord Faust says:

Note to the editor: Wanderlei actually weighed more than Cro Cop during their fight in the OWGP.

• redness says:

To me it looked as if Cro Cop was fighting not to lose instead of fighting to win. He looked scared to me and I cant see him headlineing any time soon. If he continues he should consider moving down to 205. Its only a 20 pound cut for him.

• neijia says:

Cro Cop has been fighting pro (kickboxing, then mma) for 13 years. His career really culminated in the Pride Grand Prix in 2006, when he beat Wanderlei and Josh Barnett in the same night. It’s too bad he seems to be over the hill now. Age 35 seems like a good stopping point (Couture being the freak exception) for most fighters, especially if it looks like it’s just not in you anymore. Anderson Silva has said he’d retire at age 35. Chuck Liddell is 39 already. Wanderlei is 33 but seems battered past his years. Same with Big Nog (33). Every star with huge drive never wants to call it quits. Good for Liddell for competing on “Dancing With the Stars” — maybe he can parlay that exposure to something else. You gotta know when to fold ’em…

• fanoftna33 says:

Beating Franklin that way in my opinion will earn anybody a title shot(if they are fighting at 185 anyway) since only two guys ever have done thet, A Silva and Machida coincindentaly both title holders. It shows two things, 1 only the very elite fighters ko Rich, and if you do you will go far.
    I said it before and i will say it again, Daley can beat most of the WW fighters in the ufc now, if he is in shape and very motivated. With a few more big fights and maybesome more wrestling he will be in the top 5. I think a better fight now would be T Alves but Johnson would be good.
    Kos needs to show the ability to beat a top 5 guy before I will think he belongs in the title picture. His last meangful win was over 2 years ago against Deigo, with the ufc feeding him older orless experienced fighters all we are getting is another gatekeeper.
    Hermes Franca did just come off a long recovery from a knee surgery, and jumping in against Griffen took guts, we havent seen the last of him.
    Escudero has shown a very well rounded arsenal and after last night I find myself looking forward to seeing him fight again.

• metalmulisha says:

Franca at 145. I hope you’re kidding? The guy has always been known for not training hard and a lack of conditioning, came in overweight for this fight and now at 35 you think he’s going to all of a sudden develop better training habits and cut to 145?

Edgar, Griffin, and Guida could all make 145 if they wanted. I think Joe Stevenson maybe could, but the other 3 for sure.

• fanoftna33 says:

I know Griffen has addressed the 145 question, he said that he walks around at 180-185 right now and could no longer make the cut.

• edub says:

Fan: I dont really know where your coming from with Koscheck the guy has faced a murderers row of ww’s in the past two years. From the aformentioned Sanchez, to GSP, Hazelett, Alves(on three weeks notice), Yoshida, Trigg, and Lytle are all awesome welterweights.Trigg i still in the top fifteen at mw on most sites around. But I will give it to you he should still be behind Fitch, Alves, and Swick as far as the title hunt goes. I agree with ya that dominating Rich will put you very far in the MW division. He should definately be placed right behind Dan and Nate in the division. I still like a fight between him and Wanderlei right now more than any other.

Cro Cop is a mere shell of his former self. He looked afraid to exchange, and showed little of his K1 level striking he has come to be admired for. The only fights he should be taking now are against the older generation of fighters we have come to love. Maybe when he finally gets cut by the UFC we can see him give Josh Barnett one more shot at beating him.

There are a few lws in the UFC that could make 145 but i dont think griffin is one of them. He is only 5’6 but the guy is a block of a human being. His thighs alone probably weigh 100 lbs.

A fight between Efrain and and Evan Dunham or Paul Kelly make since right now to me.

• metalmulisha says:

Griffin walks around at 185 lbs.?

That seems like an awful lot of weight for a guy that short.

• drstu says:

i’m tired of seeing GSP vs Matt Hughes. i wouldn’t put him one fight away from a title shot again.

• fanoftna33 says:

EDUB Koscheck has beaten some good WW fighters Hazlett and Lytle certainly, but basides Diego who is now a LW because he was to small for WW he hasnt beaten any top 10 WW fighters. I know he fought Alves on short notice but do you really think he could do much better with a full camp. I do not dislike him, acually I think he is a very good fighter but like I said I think he really needs to beat some top 10 WW fighters, I think a natural match up right now would be against Condit.

• Rich S. says:

1. I don’t know about giving Vitor an immediate title shot, but he does have two straight, devistating knockout victories over top competition. He really is on the right track.. I’m sick of hearing “the old Vitor is back.” The old Vitor punched a little and then either gassed or lost all will to compete after being taken down. This is a BRAND NEW Vitor, and his hands are heavier than ever..

2. Let’s not call Cro Cop “overrated”. But yes, he’s done.

3. Daley is and always has been a threat at Welterweight.. If he can keep his cardio, takedown defense, and sweeps in check, he’ll have nothing to worry about.. Because that kind of punching power isn’t common in this weight class, and I don’t think a chin that can take that power is either..

Although the matchup between Daley and Johnson sounds appealing, I really don’t want to see either of them lose right now.. I don’t think the UFC does either.. Then again, if they put on a great show, the loser would probably stay in contention as if he hadn’t lost..

4. I’m not sure if there were any questions as to whether or not Kos’ standup was good.. I guess when all you do is work your standup, it has to be.. This fight just reassures us that his hands are heavy.. He was dominating Paulo in the standup, he just got caught.. That doesn’t diminish his striking at all..

5. Something was wrong with Franca. Bottom line. There’s no way a former title contender, that is coming off a dominant victory could perform like that with no injuries.. He either had a serious physical problem, or was sick.. That’s easily the most out of shape he’s ever looked.. Normally his style is sloppy, but to call what we saw last night sloppy, would be the understatement of the century..

No credit taken from Griffin though.. Man, did he need a finish, and it couldn’t have come from a better opponent..

• dpk says:

Does Vitor deserve a title shot at MW in UFC, no… but I want to see it anyway. Life isn’t always fair, and Vitor v Anderson will see more than Hendo or Marquart. Plus I want to see Dan and Nate fight as well.

I’m not sure why anyone was surprised Franklin tried to stay standing, he is a striker always has been, and always will be. If it goes to the ground, he has some BJJ and grappling to use but off the top of my head I never remember him instigating a takedown.

I agree that some guys in the UFC LW division would be fighting at 145 if the UFC picked up that weight class, I don’t think Tyson Griffin is one of them, he is pretty thick.

My first thought was that Cro Cop could still have interesting fights against Randy or Chuck if he came back, but after watching part of that fight again, I think he should just hang them up, and retire.

• Batman says:

Efrain Escudero hasn’ beat anyone yet so don’t get excited about it.

Tyson Griffin is an awesome fighter and he is a force to be reckoned with, i think he is fine at 155 pounds.

cro cop is getting old and he doesn’t look to be in the same great shape that he use to be in, he should just retire.

I think Trigg just got caught and that was that i would like to see him fight again in the UFC.

Paul Daley looked to be a lot bigger than Martin Kampmann and his takedown defense looked superb. Martin didn’t really even try again probably cause paul didn’t even budge and when martin got rocked he didn’t know where he was anymore.

I don’t like Rich Franklin so I wont comment.

Vitor Belfort looked awesome and I knew he would knock Rich out. I think Vitor should get a title shot and have Okami fight Nate then Have Henderson fight the winner of Vitor and Anderson.

This was one of the worst UFC ppv’s that I have ever seen.

• shotokai_ says:

Belforts win was impressive and by some might even be branded surprising (although wrongly so in my opinion – we all knew he has the tools to do exactly what he did, and he did it). But forget that for a minute.

Cro Cops loss, and the fashion of it, was downright shocking and, for me, by far the biggest talking point of the event. I read a breakdown of the fight on this website earlier this week rightly proclaiming that if the fight stayed on the feet then Cro Cop, by all reasonable logic, should win, as he is the better kickboxer. Right, right?

Lets get some perspective; Dos Santos has been training MMA for one year, that’s ONE year, and hasn’t been training kickboxing for that much longer. He does have a Brazilian National Title to his name, (and I have a feeling that his strength and athleticism played a huge role in obtaining that tile, whilst any technique was somewhat of a spectator), but when his record/accomplishments are compared to Mirko’s they don’t really stand up. Or do they? Cro Cop’s stand up has been made to look, well, mediocre against two fighters who definitely should have technically poorer kickboxing capabilities than him. See vs. Kongo and now vs. Dos Santos; if those fights took place in a ring with 14 oz. gloves, Cro Cop would have had it handed to him on two seperate occasions. And when you couple those with a head kick loss to BJJ fighter Gonzaga, who has since shown comparatively little in his once “promising” stand up arsenal, I am starting to think Cro Cop has either lost it fast, and I mean FAST, or that he never had it to begin with.

He was beaten by Dos Santos’ physical tools on Saturday night, don’t get me wrong, Dos Santos was bigger, faster, stronger than Mirko and this undoubtedly had a substantial effect on the outcome of the fight. But there were times when Cro Cop was technically outmaneuvered as well, by a fighter who should have no place doing so. And Cro Cop landed two or three significant blows all

• shotokai_ says:

Lets get some perspective; Dos Santos has been training MMA for one year, that’s ONE year, and hasn’t been training kickboxing for that much longer. He does have a Brazilian National Title to his name, (and I have a feeling that his strength and athleticism played a huge role in obtaining that tile, whilst any technique was somewhat of a spectator), but when his record/accomplishments are compared to Mirko’s they don’t really stand up. Or do they? Cro Cop’s stand up has been made to look, well, mediocre against two fighters who definitely should have technically poorer kickboxing capabilities than him. See vs. Kongo and now vs. Dos Santos; if those fights took place in a ring with 14 oz. gloves, Cro Cop would have had it handed to him on two separate occasions, by poorer stand up fighters (supposedly) than him. And when you couple those with a head kick loss to BJJ fighter Gonzaga, who has since shown comparatively little in his once “promising” stand up arsenal, I am starting to think Cro Cop has either lost it fast, and I mean FAST, or that he never had it to begin with.

He was beaten by Dos Santos’ physical tools on Saturday night, don’t get me wrong, Dos Santos was bigger, faster, stronger than Mirko and this undoubtedly had a substantial effect on the outcome of the fight. But there were times when Cro Cop was technically outmaneuvered as well, by a fighter who should have no place in doing so. And Cro Cop landed two or three significant blows all bout; straight lefts to the face. Where were the leg kicks? Body kicks? I understand throwing a head kick is a big commitment in an MMA fight against a dangerous, fast and heavy opponent, but no leg kicks? I was shocked by his performance, so much so in fact that I have been scrutinizing his record since. But, whichever way you look at it (and believe me, there have been several), said record screams of kickboxing prowess; just what has happened to this prowess? Has he gotten too old and lost a ridiculous amount of confidence, strength, speed and technical (?!) ability? Performance enhancers in Pride? Never having faced strong, pressuring strikers in MMA? Worried about his testicles?

He was previously heralded as one of the most dangerous kick boxers in the world by Pride fantasists and now he’s getting out struck by Kongo, Overeem (before his gonad went walkabouts) and Dos Santos?! Someone needs to explain this sh*t, because I’m struggling.

• shotokai_ says:

Apologies for the double post, clicked the first one accidentally and prematurely.

• jmack91 says:

Vitor looked good buts lets not just start throwing title shots at him.He beat a guy,who of late has become kind of the UFC gatekeeper.Making him stay between weight classes so that he be used as a stepping stone for either MW or LHW.Give us Belfort vs. marquart in december,Hendo vs silva,and let the winner of the belfort fight get the next shot.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think belfort has a much better chance against Silva than he does against Marquadt. With Silva we know the fight will be standing, and against Nate I would think Nates takedowns will come in to play a lot. Ot would probably end up like Belfort vs Ortiz wit Nate winning a decision. At least vs Silva he has a good chance on the feet.

• moosebaby02 says:

Franklin last 3 fights have been aginst former title holders and imo and by alot of others as well that Franklin is 2-1 since he beat Hendo (UFC pulling strings to get Hendo’s name to the US public). He only has been taking on big name fights…..thats not gatekeeping. Jardine, Bonnar, Colman they are gatekeepers jmack.
    fan i have to agree with spider being a better match up for Vitor. Nates takedowns are to great when and if he wanted to

• Angry Mike says:

Belfort’s win over Franklin doesn’t translate into a title shot, imo. Franklin went down on what appeared like glancing blows, and at least one of the early shots he took on the ground looked like it was to the back of the head. I’m not suggesting that Belfort didn’t earn the W, but I am wondering about Franklin’s chin. And as far as taking Belfort down, Franklin got caught while he was still trying to get a feel for Belfort. Put Belfort in with a healthy Cote first. Now that would be a fight worth watching and a benchmark for Belfort.

Cro Cop’s first tour of duty through UFC convinced me that he’s done at least for that org. Maybe he’s still a threat for K-1 or Dream or Strikeforce, but he wants no part of the new generation of bigger, harder hitting heavy weights in UFC. I cannot imagine him in the Octagon with Carwin or Lesnar at this point in his career. Maybe he’s unwilling to engage anymore or maybe everybody has just figured out that he’s less of a threat when he’s backing up.

I don’t think Kampmann was thinking about much of anything after the first solid punches from Daley. He was out on his feet and operating on autopilot.

I don’t know that Kos has any questions to answer, and if he does, his fight with Trigg was never going to answer them. There was no doubt in my mind that Kos would run through Trigg. Trigg’s a journeyman at best in UFC.

• moosebaby02 says:

agree on all points Mike except for Cote vs Belfort. Almeida, Oakmi would be better fits if he has to wait for Marquardt and Anderson to finish off things first.

• Rich S. says:

Why is everyone saying this was a horrible PPV? First, you’re pissed because all fights go to decision. Then, you get a PPV where all fights on the main card were finished, even ones that were expected not to, and you still complain? I have a piece of advice for you.. NEVER BUY ANOTHER MMA PPV AGAIN!!!

Also, to anyone that has called Rich a gatekeeper, please stop.. I guess alot of fans don’t really have a grasp on what a gatekeeper is.. Here are some examples from each weight class. Mac Danzig is a gatekeeper. Chris Lytle is a gatekeeper. Chris Leben (as of late) is a gatekeeper. Stephan Bonnar is a gatekeeper. Antoni Hardonk is a gatekeeper. These are guys that are good enough to beat anyone that can’t quite hang in the UFC, but fail every time they step up in competition.

Rich Franklin is a former UFC champion, and is still fighting and beating top competition.

• Josh_Kahn says:

Hermes Franca doesn’t look intimidating. But I enjoy his fights. He’s always seems to provide an unorthodox, if not difficult match-up.

• edub says:

Rich I havent used gatekeeper before but I think he is the perfect gatekeeper. I think your confusing gatekeeper with journeyman. Gatekeepers are fighters that are good enough to beat most competition but not good enough to challenge in title contention. Gatekeepers can be young also so they can maybe down the line move out of that role and challenge for a title.

EX: You call Mac Danzig and Antoni Hardonk gatekeepers. They are simply not on the level of a gatekeeper. THe gatekeepers for each division right now IMO ooke something like…
    155- Clay Guida
    170- Chris Lytle or Marcus Davis
    185- Alan Belcher or Ed Herman
    205-Rich would be perfect…Right now its probably Soszyinski
    HWT- Cheick Kongo, or Gonzaga come to mind.

• Rich S. says:

I suppose my standards for a gatekeeper WERE a bit low on some of those guys I used..

But I still wouldn’t classify Rich as a gatekeeper..

• Angry Mike says:

Moose

I picked Cote because he’s a hard-hitting son of a gun, and it could make for an exciting fight. Cote should be in the line for a title shot because he didn’t really lose against Silva; he was injured. A fight with Belfort, who’s on the ups, feels about right.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cote is a solid MW fighter with above average power and a great chin. Anybody he fights is in for a tough night. I belive I have seen all of his fights in the UFC and I cannot remember a time when he was rocked, maybe vs Mcfederies but I cant recall. Belfort would be in for a good fight.

• Brandon says:

How is CroCop over rated yet no mention of Rich Franklin being over rated?

• edub says:

Neither of them are overrated.

• xtreme_machine says:

a lot of people were critical of this card

i guess they learn to not to judge a card by its fighter’s name recognition

• I think the reason the UFC is giving Vitor the title shot is because Vitor could very well lose his next fight and then they get stuck with only Nate or Hendo to challenge Silva and he has beat them both already. Vitor KTFO of Franklin but up until that KO he looked timid and neither of them engaged. Had that fight went longer who knows the outcome. There is a very good chance if they gave Vitor another fight he would lose and then the UFC would lose out on a big fight between the two.

• edub says:

Interesting analogy trends. Youd have to think theyd in no way wanna jeopardize that so no tune up either. Although I think it would be a good idea to give him someone like Nate Quarry or Kendall Grove in the meantime in something like a fightnight main event. Just make it someone who would stand with Vitor.

• moosebaby02 says:

Angry Mike again i agree on all points with Cote but i just have a feeling that Vitor would just walk right through him. How bout this for a headliner “Vitor Belfort vs the only Man in the UFC to beat Anderson Silva” PPV numbers will go up and you help Oakmi’s name getting out there since he is so hard to market with his not so classy fights. Yes Vitor will walk right threw him as well but at least it will set up a great match with the spider

• edub says:

DIdnt even think about it Moosebaby that one sounds great to me. Only thing that stops it is its a fight Vitor can lose. Also if Okami were to win it would most likely be by plodding decision.

• edub says:

I say new MW tourney to fight Anderson.
    First round:
    1. Hendo vs. 8. Akiyama
    4. Belfort vs. 5. Wanderlei
    2. Marquardt vs. 7. Bisping
    3. Okami vs. 6. Maia
    Reserve match: Aaron simpson vs Chael Sonnen

Man o man a guy can dream cant he!

• fanoftna33 says:

That would be a hell of a tournament edud.

• edub says:

Ok now im in full dream mode hows everyone see this tourney goin.
    1. Hendo vs. 8. Akiyama
    4. Belfort vs. 5. Wanderlei
    2. Marquardt vs. 7. Bisping
    3. Okami vs. 6. Maia
    Reserve match: Aaron simpson vs Chael Sonnen
    2nd round:
    1. Hendo vs. Simson(because Wand KO’d belfort but neither can continue after an epic battle)
    2. Marquardt vs. 6. Maia
    Finals:
    Simpson(Yea im calling upset) vs Maia- Simson by TKO
    Cory Ive boarded the hype train and Im operating on way too much caffeine today.

• fanoftna33 says:

1 Hendo
    2 Belfort
    3 Marquadt
    4 Maia
    Hendo beats Belfort- Maia beats Marquadt- Maia wins tournament.

• moosebaby02 says:

thats crazy talk fan……..Maia??? Like someone called me before im a “NATE THE GREAT NUTHUGGER” and imo he will destroy all of them. ok well maybe not all of them. the only one who can give him a go is Vitor and Anderson. the rest are just steping stones for him.
    Hey dub how come Nate the Great is fighting Bisping in your tourney?? by the way would be a great one. i would match up Bisping in the 8th seed since he is the worst of all of them

• edub says:

HAhaha Moose your still all over Nate arent ya. I got Nate fighting Bisping just cuz of my own personal rankings in the UFC MW division. I just think Bisping gets slotted ahead of fighters like sexyama and Sonnen because of resume. Also if I put him at 8th hes gotta take on Hendo in the first round and that just happened soooooo I got him at 7th and Nate is my #2 behind Hendo so thats where the cards fell.

I cant hate on Fans pick either. I think Maia will only continue to improve and will be aforce in the MW division for a long time unless he plans to drop to 170.

• moosebaby02 says:

good point dub. but lets not forget the only way Hendo fights for in MW is for the belt so he shouldnt be in the dream tourney. Leaving the #1 spot for NATE THE GREAT (yes im still on his nutts. did you not see his last cover shoot lol).
    as for Maia that one still bothers me. to me all he is that guy who was losing to Kos then got a lucky punch and I know but imo it was a lucky punch. also the same guy who got flat lined in his last fight by well you know who ” NATE THE GREAAAAAT” Maia stand up looks to suspect for me to think he can win the dream tourney

• fanoftna33 says:

Moose, Maia was losing to Kos? You are thinking of a different fighter.

• edub says:

Umm Moose Im not sure, but I think you maybe confusing Maia with Paulo Thiago.

• edub says:

Fan you think Maia would be better suited at 170 down the line? I wouldnt make the decision til he fought there but I do know he cuts next to no weight to make 185.

• moosebaby02 says:

yes i am sorry. shit now i have to go over the whole tourney brackett again

• moosebaby02 says:

fuck thats not even the same weight class.
    hold on I have to go pull a Diaz and get my shit together

• fanoftna33 says:

I think he would do well at 170, but I would still like to see him fight at MW. His striking is improving and it gets silly to see guys dropping weight the second they lose to try another division. If Maia comes out and goes 1-2 for his next three fights then yes itr would be a good idea to cut. But yes I think you are right about his body being better suited for 170 Edub.

• fanoftna33 says:

The reason I picked Maia to win is because he is the only fighter (in the main brackets not counting your reserve picks edub) that I see acually improving right now. All thoes guys are great but really Maia is still getting better.

• edub says:

Agreed Fan especially to the part about fighters moving weightclasses the minute they lose.

• moosebaby02 says:

Maia still wont win. No standup. Nate is to good on the ground to fall for that. He is not strong enough to get Hendo on Vitor to the ground, where his game is top notch. I still have Nate winning.

• moosebaby02 says:

Hey Maia sounds good at 170lb. but i agree on waiting to see if he can prove me wrong

• fanoftna33 says:

Sonnen is a great wrestler and Maia got him down and submitted very easily. I know Sonnen is no Vitor or Henderson but he is a very high caliber wrestler.

• edub says:

Good point Fan. Nate Quarry is also no slouch in the wrestling department, and Maia got him down in less than a minute.