Paul Daley Stuns Martin Kampmann At UFC 103

Paul DaleyMartin Kampmann went from welterweight title contender to assault victim in the matter of two minutes and thirty-one seconds as lead fisted UK striker Paul Daley put a beatdown on “The Hitman” he will not soon forget during UFC  103, which was held this evening in Dallas, Texas.

Many experts rationalized that Kampmann would have a decisive edge in this match-up due to his considerably more dangerous ground attack. Surprisingly, outside of a single takedown attempt early on, Kampmann was more than willing to trade with Daley, and it was this willingness to trade that ended up costing him  the bout.

After stunning Kampmann with a big right hand, Daley swarmed the Xtreme Couture trained fighter with a vicious assault of punches that forced the referee to call a halt to the contest just midway throught the opening frame.

• Makington says:

Like I said in my previous posts about this fight, it was just a bad fight for Kampmann. He had all the tools to win but Daley could just as likely KO him, which ended up being the case. Now Kampmann just went 10 steps back down the ladder, and it will be a long time before anyone mentions his name and a title shot in the same sentence.

I was frustrated watching Martin fight since I know how good of a fighter he is, but he just wouldn’t fight smart. He was getting battered from the beginning and made minimal attempt to swing the fight his way.

On the flip side, this just launched Paul into the rankings and conceivably a top 10 UFC Welterweight now.

• fanoftna33 says:

I picked Daley as soon as I heard about this fight, and it played out just like I thought. Daleys stand up is just to crisp and Kampmanns takedowns are not good enough.

• edub says:

Yea Fan.

What swayed me was rewatching the Kampman Mcfedries fight. He just gets hit clean way too much.

• Rich S. says:

Alot of people think that because Daley’s main focus is striking, and he has been submitted in the past, that this would be a breeze for Kampmann.. And they couldn’t be more wrong, obviously.. Daley’s sub defense is ever improving and I think we saw that in the Shields bout. Unfortunately for him, he got caught after a couple escapes in that one.. Kampmann, while having a good ground game, is no Jake Shields.. I think Daley would’ve been just fine on the ground.. It didn’t have to go there, though..

You know what the best part about this fight is? The UFC-exclusive fans didn’t even get to see his beautiful knees and elbows.. Hopefully he’ll unleash those in his next fight..

Props to Kampmann for having an otherworldly chin and actually not going down..

• nope says:

Who do they give Daley next? What spot in the pecking order does this put him?

• fanoftna33 says:

I would rather see Daley vs Hughes than Swick, Realistically the ufc should match up Kos vs Swick for two very solid WW to move up into title contention.

• hindsightufuk says:

i think Daley should get Swick now, if Kampmann/Swick was supposed to happen its logic to letter the winner now fight Swick. However Logic and the UFC contenders fighting each other never comes into it.
    Just like to give huge props to Paul though, glad he is finally getting a chance to make some real money. Been watching him in UK shows for years, always an entertaining fighter to watch.
    At the same time i like Martin Kampmann, shame to see him lose, but he’ll be back.
    Again i didnt think the stoppage was unjust, he probably woulda been knocked out within seconds anyway

• Makington says:

I thought it was a fair stoppage. Martin knew it was a fair one as well. e made the typical early comments but you could tell he was beat. Just seeing how red his face was compared to his chest was obvious how much of a thrashing he was taking.

And doubts on Swick fighting Kos. Team mates have always had problems with fighting eachother. I understand why they don’t want to, but if that means them never getting a title shot, I would suck it up. Joe Lauzon has even gone on record saying that he would fight his brother if he had to. That’s a true fighter.

• hindsightufuk says:

fuck how much do i wanna see Lauzon take on Nate Diaz

• edub says:

Nope this has got to put him in the top ten for the UFC. I think fights with either AJ as I said earlier, Mike Swick, or even Carlos Condit could be great stand up battles.

If they wanna test him though maybe a fight with Trigg, Ellenberger, or koscheck to see if his td defense has really risen to a new level.

• hindsightufuk says:

Daley vs Ellenberger would be nice, Jake looked really good mid week

• Rich S. says:

We’ll probably see Daley get matched up with another striker.. After such a huge debut, they’re probably going to want to build him now..

As for Kos, I wouldn’t mind seeing him take on Fitch.. same goes for Swick..

• xtreme_machine says:

Daley vs Swick

or

Daley vs Koscheck

they all say that they wanted to fight fast and did not care who they faced

Daley vs Swick >>>> Swick vs Koscheck >>>>> Winner gets GSP
    Koscheck vs Hugges >>>>

• xtreme_machine says:

he should of had gone to TUF and destroyed all the welterweights to get well known or at lest a little bit more and get the 6 figure contract baby!