Tim Sylvia and Houston Alexander win by TKO at Adrenaline MMA IV

Tim SylviaUFC veterans Tim Sylvia and Houston Alexander have placed themselves back in the winners circle by each notching first round TKO victories over their respected opponents at Adrenaline MMA IV.

Former UFC heavyweight champion bounced back from three consecutive losses as he battered Jason Riley early in the first round for the convincing stoppage victory.

It became obvious that Sylvia was getting the better of the exchanges early on before dropping Riley with a big right hand and following him to the floor with punches, prompting the referee to wave the bout off at the 2:32 mark.

Alexander, who was on loan from his current contract with the UFC, also put himself back on track following three straight losses, battering Sherman Pendergast early for the much needed win.

A series of punishing leg kicks had Pendergarst in serious trouble just over a minute into the bout before Houston got absolutely midevil on the MMA veteran, swarming him with a brutal volley of strikes and forcing the stoppage just shy of the two minute mark.

• twyg says:

Did I read that right Houston throwing leg kicks? Christ next thing you know he will develope a ground game. Seriously good for them and I am willing to bet Jason Riley feels like a douche right now after talkin all that shit.

• fanoftna33 says:

Houston rocked Pendergast bad with three leg kicks and followed up with some nice knees. He looked good but he wasnt fighting a guy that could even make it to the ufc imo. Same with Sylvia he got caught a few times by Riley and didnt flinch, but again Riley is pretty green so we will see where Tim goes from here.

• CMT says:

Cory – Seriously “midevil”. LOL!!

• adamj says:

Theis “respected” opponents, or their “respective” opponents? :)

• Lord Faust says:

If anything, those two fights showed that the bottom tier of UFC talent is still very difficult to overcome. I was happy to see Houston throwing leg kicks; dude has some solid striking power, good to see him develop it in other areas besides his hands. With luck, his takedown defence will be much improved as well. While I have no delusion of grandeur regarding Houston, he’s always entertaining and I do enjoy watching him fight.

Tim did what I expected him to do against a relative newcomer. People can make fun of Tim all they want, but the fact is that he’s been KO’ed by guys with devastating hands. Mercer may be a total newbie when it comes to MMA, but he’s spent the majority of his athletic career training to crumple men with just his hands; if a pro-boxer hits you in the face, you will fall down no matter who you are.

• submit662266 says:

Faust, good point. I also liked the Houston Alexander comment. I’ve said negative things about him before (awful ground game), but I love watching him and I want him to win. I’d like to see the UFC match him up with guys who stand, like McFedries or Chuck (oops, I forgot, Dana railroaded Chuck into retirement).

• BigDave says:

Well there wasn’t really much showcased here, Houston fought a guy that I could have smashed and i’m in a wheelchair. As for Tim he looked better then he has but still has a long way to go before he is truely back in contention. He needs to get his wheight in check.

• Rich S. says:

That’s the most active I’ve seen Sylvia since… wow, since the Gan McGee fight.. That was in ’03 good lord..

Is there some sort of possibility that Sylvia’s fights could be the slightest bit enjoyable, now?

• twyg says:

Rich S. to anwser your question no this does not mean that Tims fights might become half way enjoyable to watch. The only time a Tim Sylvia fight is enjoyable is when he is getting beaten. Sorry to any Sylvia fans out there but seriously what the fuck.

• KTru says:

“Houston fought a guy that I could have smashed and i’m in a wheelchair.”

That explains a lot….

Houston wins: Maybe he should get a few more wins before a return to the Octagon
    Sylvia wins: Still does anyone care?

• KTru says:

submit662266……

Exactly how did Dana “railroad” Chuck into retirement?

You mean caring for a friend, and not having him get in serious injury by fighting against guys who are clearly better?
    McFedries is a MW

• Rich S. says:

I feel ya, twyg… It’s so weird seeing the words “Sylvia” and “fans” right next to each other..

I can understand being a fan back when he was destroying guys like Cabbage and Ricco, but he really fell off, and picked up this “Just try not to lose” mentality.. Extremely annoying..

• Lord Faust says:

I am not a Sylvia fan by any stretch, but I think he’s the bearer of unwarranted hate. He had some borings fights and has an odd demeanor; that’s hardly justification for half the stuff that gets said about him. Tim’s never really talked a lot of trash and other than boring fights against Monson and Arlovski, I am not sure what he’s actually done to offend people.

I’m not asking anyone to cheer for him, but hating on him for no stated reason isn’t cool.

• baldspot23 says:

i was at the show last nite…had awesome tickets for real cheap…and the best part was i stayed at the same hotel that almost all the fighters stayed at…tim was real cool, let me take a pic with him at the hotel even tho his hand was on ice(i think i stepped on his foot too, oops)…im gonna do a fanpost at watchkalibrun.com tommarrow and put pics up,,,awesome event, oh and pendergarst’s knee was jacked cuz he was limping at the hotel

• submit662266 says:

Ktru, I see your point and it is valid. Dana says he is Chuck’s friend though: Dana should give him the dignity of making his own decision. Chuck obviously hasn’t decided yet. I thought it was humiliating the way Dana talked about him after his last loss. Chuck took the UFC up several levels during his career, he made them a gazillion dollars, and deserves more respect than that. Only proves my previous opinions that Dana has no class.

Personally, i think Chuck should retire. He has nothing left to prove and will always be remembered as a legend.

• metalmulisha says:

Tim Sylvia is like a pathetic guy who’s been dumped by his ex girlfriend and embarrassed and he still just wants her back, because as much shit as Dana White has talked about him since he left the UFC, plus saying he has no interest in Sylvia and after embarrassing himself against Ray Mercer the guy comes out on Inside MMA and says I want to be back in the UFC.
    Dana’s said a lot of bad stuff about me but I’ve never said anything bad about him.

Dude the guy has tried to publicly humiliate you with his comments and you embarrassed yourself against a 48 year old man after getting annihilated by the Heavyweight that is the UFC’s biggest enemy right now and you think and want to be back in the UFC? Absolutely pathetic.

• Niv says:

metalmulisha, with all due respect I’m with Faust on this one, Sylvia has done nothing to deserve the disproportionate hate he receives on these sites.

So what if he was annihilated by Fedor (the best there is) or by Ray Mercer? That could happen to anyone, Mercer is a freaking ex world HW boxing champ. Reality here is any ex HW boxing champ can potentially ko any guy around especially if they walk straight at them. Sylvia’s problem was that he didn’t respect that fact and he got caught.

Now I have one question for you. Does Dana White talking trash about you automatically mean that you’re pathetic to want to fight in the UFC? The reason I ask that is that I would think that you must agree that there’s no way Fedor should ever sign for Dana with the amount of garbage he’s stated over the past few years about him.

• metalmulisha says:

Well with all do respect NIV you tell me if Sylvia wanting to work for White again is pathetic?

Direct quote from Dana about Fedor & Tim:

“He’s not the best pound-for-pound fighter, not even close, but he’s one of the four or five best heavyweights. But we all have to thank him for getting rid of Tim Sylvia. He’d been stinking out the joint the last couple of years and Fedor did everyone a favor by beating him so easily and getting rid of him.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder how Adrenalin MMA figures the weight classes, because there were only 2 fights not at a catch weight, of thoes Sylvia came in at 287, well above the heavyweight limit.

• Niv says:

metalmulisha, my opinion on this is that the only pathetic guy here is Dana White as slandering fighters is his standard MO. I know Dana White has helped the UFC grow, but I think he’s outlived his usefullness as a CEO. The guy talks like a punk and actually works against his own interests acting the way he does. Many people don’t get it, they say things like he’s the President of a fight organization people don’t want a wimp representing them, and so on. Well last time I checked the Joint Chief of Staff speaks eloquently, and he represents people who kill for a living, so what’s the point?

Sorry I digress, if I were Tim Sylvia I wouldn’t want to fight for the guy unless I can get a ridiculous deal out of him. As for Fedor I also think he did the right thing as Dana has crapped over this guy time and time again.

I think in spite of all of this Fedor will fight in the UFC one day, but it will be on his terms, and I have nothing but respect for that.

I was hoping someone could respond to my initial question though because I’d like to think we have consistency in our opinions when it comes to not signing when you’re being or have been disrespected.