Cung Le calls it quits, Shields vs. Mayhem set for vacant Strikeforce MW title on CBS

Jake ShieldsWith the opening of Pandorum set to open in theatres next week, Cung Le has decided to move to acting full time, at least temporarily.

The Strikeforce middleweight champion has officially stepped down from his position according to CEO Scott Coker in a report from MMAWeekly.com.

Cung Le, who has been busy making movies the past year or so, hasn’t defended the title since winning it against Frank Shamrock back in March 2008.

With the decision of Le stepping down, Jake Shields vs. Jason Miller will now decide the vacant middleweight title. The title bout is now set for the newly announced November 7th card on CBS. The event will be headlined by the heavyweight bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers

Speaking on Cung Le’s decision, Coker said “I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request. By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

• Angry Mike says:

So he’s admitted what we’ve all known for quite a while. Personally, I’m sorry he’s not fighting. I don’t think he’d reached his full potential.

• edub says:

Wow a little over due.

Im gonna start a poll here:

Will Cung Le ever fight in mma again? yes or no? discuss.

• David Andrest says:

Yes. It will be in a “special attraction” format for Strikeforce.

My Guess is with CBS pending, Strikeforce is going to try and get their title situations straight.

• jj says:

about time. fighters shouldn’t be called champions unless they have intentions of defending their belt.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is good news for strikeforce fans, as most people feel this should have happened already. I think he is a good fighter and I would like to see him fight again, but really he has nothing to prove, and if he enjoys making movies great.

• Frankmur says:

I agree JJ, when a fighter wins a title they have to honor a commitment to the organization,the fans and their peers. They represent the honor,hard work, and dedication that the title entails. If a fighter can not defend the title in a timely fashion they should with honor resign the title or be stripped of it. no more interim title BS!

• Frankmur says:

WAR MAYHEM!!!

• moosebaby02 says:

what gets me is that Lee had to decide to step down……….its been over two years why didnt Coker leave it up to him for so long?? Good for the fans and strikeforce but way over due from a finical point of view

• edub says:

Good thought Moose but its only been a year and a half. March 2008.

• moosebaby02 says:

sorry “over two years” sounded better to me lol. in all seriousness though this is great news for Strikeforce. CBS, Fedor vs Rogers, and Jake Shields vs. Jason Miller for the title. I say load up the card as big as possiable. $$$$$ is all good. I cant help but think what “Im mad at Rampage” Dana has to think about this??? This has to sour him alot.

• edub says:

Exactly. Dana has gotta be butthurt to a new level from the CBS news. Its gonna be interesting to see if Strikeforce makes Shields vs Miller the main event over Fedor vs Rogers because it has title implications.

Its also gonna be interesting to see how the general public views a title fight in the same division Anderson Silva is in when he is not participating.

• edub says:

*weight division that is.

• G-DUB says:

edub …. there is not a chance in hell that Shields vs. Miller will be the main event and/or the night’s final fight of that card. Fedor is Strikeforce’s meal ticket and the only reason this card is showing on network tv. It’s a lock.
    BTW ….. does anyone know what happens to Fedor’s WAMMA belt? Will Strikeforce recognize this belt in as much as introducing Fedor as the WAMMA title holder? Don’t know if I’ve heard anything about that at all.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am looking forward to see how well Fedor handles the cage.
    Miller will take this fight pretty easily if he is not to banged up from his Dream fight in Oct.

• Hitman Hartnell says:

Even though Cung Le has held up the title for so long, Coker still talks about him with professionalism and class. I cant imagine the shit Dana would have to say if Cung Le did this to him.

• xtreme_machine says:

look what he is saying about Rampage, who is just simply posponing the match up

he would probably strip him of the title and fire him

• David Andrest says:

Strikeforce is in a great spot here. I still don’t know if the avg person understands all the implications of this card being on CBS. This is the absolute quickest way to build superstars. While you and I can bang the drum all day long about the greatness of Anderson Silva and GSP. There will be millions of people who have not or will not spend 55 bucks to watch MMA every month or ANY month at this point. People who were on the fence about MMA will again have a chance for FREE to watch a full upper level card.

Spike is reaping the benefits of Kimbo on CBS right now. CBS translates into Household names, from Big names within the sport.

And as dumb as this may sound at first, Everyone knows where CBS is on their television provider.

• twyg says:

Great news and it is long overdue, now all that has to be done is strip Overeem and make Fedor/Rogers fight for the title. Just read on ESPN that Strikeforce is talking to ISAC to saction this thing so they can hold it in Chicago (which means I am going). More specificlly they are talking about holding it at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates. A decision could come down by the end of today at the earliest.

• moosebaby02 says:

yah twyg they should strip Overeem and make it a title fight. two title fights on one card plus on CBS can only mean $$$$$$. Come on Coker make it happen.

• Frankmur says:

yeah, Overeem should be stripped and Fedor vs. Rogers would be a great title fight.At least Fedor and Rogers can fight more than once a year!

• moosebaby02 says:

at least??? how bout fight in the US more than once a year without being worried getting caught cheating

• moosebaby02 says:

oh man cant wait to watch this one

• twyg says:

I don’t think they will announce Fedor as WAMMA champ because honestly it is a paper title and means nothing. Plus first time viewers will be wondering what the hell is WAMMA. Strip Overeem, and crown 2 champs on free live tv.

• Bullylover says:

this news has just made my day. I believe that le will eventually return to fighting but by then it might be to late.I wonder how long it’s going to take coker to come to his senses and strip overeem of his title?hopefully sooner than later. Really looking forward to this card on the 7th.

• neijia says:

really wanted to see Le fight again but this does seem good for allcan’t wait

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Such a shame.

• Makington says:

The shame was that he would do that to his division for so long and leave it in limbo.

Unless that’s what you meant, ha.