The Wrap-Up: TUF 10 Episode 1; ‘The bloodiest ‘Ultimate Fighter’ [expletive] fight, ever’

TUF 10The highly anticipated tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter is finally here and so far has not dissappointed, at least not on the entertainment side of things.

In the opening scenes of the 10th season of TUF, there is definite heat building between the heavyweight coaches Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans.

“You’re too slow and your head’s too big and easy to hit,” said Evans.

“You got a big a– mouth and it’s going to cost you,” Jackson responded.

Next, 15 of the heavyweight hopefuls walk into the UFC training center as Jackson and Evans take note of the fighters size. Dana White is next to enter the room to announce that the 16th fighter is on his way in.

You can see the shock and other mixed expressions of the 15 fighters as Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson appears.

Jackson almost immediately claims Slice to his team while Evans undoubtedly has teammates James McSweeney and Brendan Schaub down for his first picks.

The heavyweights are then off to show the coaches what they’ve got before they select their teams. Evans is looking for a tough team eager to learn while Jackson puts the fighters through sparring rounds to see how they react to live situations.

Jackson looks right past a few of the potential UFC heavyweight fighters including the former IFL champ Roy Nelson.

“Roy Nelson got a big a– belly; we checked him out and he was fat,” said Jackson.

Here are the finalized teams for TUF season 10.

TEAM RASHAD

Demico Rogers
Wes Sims
Scott Junk
Wes Shivers
Marcus Jones
Zak Jensen

Back at the house there is a lot of talk about who will have their hand raised over Slice, as if you couldn’t guess. Slice is aware that he has become somewhat infamous to both fans and fighters alike and is likely a big target this season.

Since Evans had first pick for his team, Jackson controls the match-up for the first fight. Jackson selects his own Abe Wagner to take on John Madsen from Team Evans.

Jackson is aware of Madsen being a Division II National Wrestling Champion but feels that Wagner’s jiu-jitsu will get him out of any trouble he may face on the mat.

Abe Wagner vs. John Madsen

Round 1 kicks off and Madsen takes control of the fight and shoots in bringing Wagner to the mat. Madsen keeps the fight on the mat with ground and pound and opens a nasty cut on Wagner’s head. The round ends and everyone takes notice of how much blood is on both the mat and Wagner.

Wagner is cleared for the round 2 but Madsen picks up where he left off in the first round. Madsen scores another takedown and reopens the cut on Wagner’s head. Wagner is given a few chances when Mazzagatti restarts the fighters on their feet but the fight ends with Wagner on his back, bloodied with no answers to Madsen’s ground and pound.

Dana White deems this “the bloodiest ‘Ultimate Fighter’ [expletive] fight, ever.”

HEAVYWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUT

John Madsen def. Abe Wagner via unanimous decision (20-16, 20-17, 20-17)

• fanoftna33 says:

I didnt notice how big the cut acually was until the doctor got a hold of him, wow. Overall a good episode, and hopefully Kimbo gets through at least one fighter. From everything I have read so far all the guys there were really impressed with him.

• Hohlraum says:

Do they always break up the show with so many tv commercials? its even hard to watch time shifted. I hate reality tv but thought I’d finally check it out. Worse than TBS.

• metalmulisha says:

The first pick overall McSweeney has a 3 and 4 pro record. Either Evans and Greg Jackson know this guys improved a lot or it was simply a loyalty pick because they’re training partners.

Overall this season looks like it’s just going to be the Kimbo, Rampage, and Wes Sims comedy hour because their doesn’t appear to be any top prospects in this entire group.
    It’s obvious nobody was the least bit impressed by Roy Nelson. The guy was picked in the middle of the pack and in the previews for the following week and season appears to be getting on everyone’s nerves. And he was assumed to be the favorite.

I really believe Kimbo is no worse than any of the guys their to be honest. Unless he gets someone who only wants to get him down and keep him there. Like Madsen did in his fight last night. I was hoping that Kimbo and Wes Sims weren’t on the same team because that’s a fight I wanted to see, but it’s not surprising Rampage picked both of them. They’re both his kind of guys.

• Angry Mike says:

Rampage is funny as hell, but Rashad’s picks looked better over all to me. Helps to have Greg Jackson evaluating the fighters for you, but even still, some of Rampage’s choices were surprising. Kimbo as your number one pick? Not a good strategy. With this level of fighter, strong wrestlers have to be a priority.

• fanoftna33 says:

I couldnt stop laughing at the stuff coming out of Jackson’s mouth, although the comments on the fighters tits were the best. Between Rashad and Rampage I would say Rashad got the better of the verbal fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

are you crazy fan???? the line of the night was the “the snaky leg dance” or “shaky leg dance that he is going to do at the club like Rashad did win he got knocked out by Machida”
    Zing after Zing all night between the 2. I give Rampage the nod for week one on the verbal fight but Rashad does have the better team imo

• metalmulisha says:

Well since none of these guys are going to be championship material. I’ll take Kimbo and Wes Sims over the boring stiffs on Rashad’s team any day.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

It’s “stinky leg”, not shaky/snaky leg. Brush up on your hip hop!

And clearly Dana forgot about the Edwin Dewees fight from TUF 4. His head was like a faucet.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dewees was bleading pretty good but the cut this week was 10x worse than his cut, edwin was on top for a lot of his fight against Gideon Ray so the blood was really flowing then.

• fanoftna33 says:

That was pretty funny Moose.

• Rich S. says:

It seemed Rashad was looking for the most talent, and Rampage was looking for the size..

Still, I don’t see HOW Rashad could go without picking Marcus Jones.. That guy would’ve been my first pic..

I’m not sure how good a fighter he is, but judging by his body, he’s a freak of nature!

Also, It’s kind of annoying how Rampage can spend the whole fight just saying “Get up, You gotta get up!” or “Submit him! Go for a submission!” or “Alright now, you gotta win! Knock him out! Knock him out!” and then actually be pissed at the end, when his fighter loses.. Man does he suck in a fighter’s corner..

• moosebaby02 says:

rampage does suck as a corner man but while the camera was focusing on him it was his coach’s that did all the talking.
    Oh Brendhan Conlan thanks for the clear up. I was to busy laughing my ass off. And yes I do have to brush up on my hip hop. Either way that was funny shit. This is going to be the best tuff ever……..jokes and zinger wise

• Makington says:

I’d be frustrated at Abe. He was one of Rampage’s top picks and he gave one of the worst fighter showings I’ve seen in a while. He somehow gassed himself completely just laying on his back the whole fight against the much smaller guy with the 72″ reach. He was pretty much this season’s Andy Wang.

Although Rampage didn’t exactly give advice to the guy, he didn’t make even the smallest attempt at improving his position. If Rampage was yelling textbook defense and control, the guy still didn’t ttempt anything and sat there literally the entire time.

• Rich S. says:

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous as well..

Every single time the ref stood them up, Madsen shot straight in..

He never caught on to that, and if I remember correctly, he didn’t even land a single punch.. That’s pretty sad..

• moosebaby02 says:

it wasnt like he didnt know what was going to happen either Rich. That was a really bad performance. maybe he will develop a some kind of screen appeal so he can get on the Fight Night Card cause if I were Dana I would sent him home as soon as the stitches were done

• xtreme_machine says:

Gabe did not come ready to fight, he just wanted to be on TV

• edub says:

Im not gonna focus on Gabe Im gonna focus on Rampage. I dont care whats happening in a fight I think it is despicable for a coach to walk out on his fighter. All he said the entire fight was “Get up” “Get up”, and “Knock him out”, and “No dont let him do dat”. Its your responsibility to know your fighters strengths and weaknesses, and to put your fighter in(who judging by his performance had absolutely no wrestling skills) in with a former D2 college level wrestler is just insane. Im officially rooting for Rashads team this season and when they fight each other.

Im also starting to believe King Mos side of the story in that Rampage is a just being a dick because he wants attention.

• Rich S. says:

Oh, my favorite part was when he said “You gotta get up, just flip him over! Just flip him over!”, rather than actually stepping him through how to sweep..

Better yet, why didn’t they practice sprawls and sweeps BEFORE the fight? Maybe they did but you could never tell by the way it went..

• twyg says:

I’m sorry Rampage was a fool to put Abe in against a good college wrestler. When they announced that fight I looked at my buddy and called my brother and we all would have taken out home equity loans to lay on the kid for Granite City. Did anyone really think Rampage was going to be a good coach? He didn’t show me anything the first time he did the show. When his guys won last time and if any of them win this time around it will be despite any “training” they recived from Rampage.

• Angry Mike says:

With regard to the quality of coaching, the question is whether Rampage is the next Ken Shamrock, but with a better sense of humor? I’m starting to think so.

• BigDave says:

The fight was garbage Madsen won easy but comeon the other dude looked like he had never been in a fight in his life. I imagine we are in for a season full of thes losers that can’t fight, there just big and thats it. there is only one semi legitamite fighter on the show and thats roy nelson. as for Runpage picking Bimbo it figures he would pick a bitch as his first pick wouldn’t expect him to actually pick a good fighter. Rashads team is gonna role over Runpages, that may be why he went to do the movie.

• edub says:

Big Dave- never a dull post.

• CMT says:

It seemed like Kimbo was very reserved. They must have had him on leash. Dude needs to shave his head, that is one nasty do. Nelson has been around a while and Rampage acted like he did not even know who he was. I think rampage lost some brain cells from being whacked out on energy drinks.

• fanoftna33 says:

Did anybody else get pissed whem Madsen went to touch gloves to start round 2 and while touching immediatly went for a takedown. That was pretty cheap espacially when it was obvious the guy he was fighting couldnt stop a takedown.

• moosebaby02 says:

yes fan that was cheap but before the fight he was asked if he wanted to touch gloves and said no……so why try and do it for the 2nd round???

• fanoftna33 says:

Good point Moose, I forgot he was asked. Still Even a guy with a known bad attitude like Nick Diaz doesnt pull crap like that, they wont even fake the glove touch. This has happened before in TUF, I belive it was Deigo vs Koscheck where there was a stand up and Kos clubbed Sanchez kind of early after both got up. I would guess it has a lot to do with all the pressure on the fighters to win.

• moosebaby02 says:

true. i guess you can see it as him being called out for the 1st fight as the weakest man so took it personally. Still a cheap move