Dana White: ‘[Rampage] giving up literally millions of dollars to play Mr. T’

danawhiteDana White has never been one to hold back his feelings on anything regarding the UFC. From other organizations to his own UFC fighters, White has been a sportswriters dream full of sound bytes.

He recently gave more to talk about when he did an interview with The DAM Morning Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday to comment on everything from B.A. Baracus to a rumored network deal.

On the rumored network deal White stated, “I guarantee you by Sept. 15 of next year, we will be on network television. I’ll put on probably one a quarter – one that should have been on pay-per-view except we’ll put it on network TV. I’m putting on like 13 pay-per-views per year. That’s more than one a month. I think you have to give back to the fans, and you have to give back free fights. So we do a ton of free fights on Spike TV between Fight Nights and some of the big, just out-of-the-blue fights we put on Spike. And now we get a network deal, and we’re doing four big fights a year that should have been on pay-per-view, but you get for free? That’s how I grew up. That’s how I became a big boxing fan. My uncles used to watch all the fights on ABC’s ‘Wide World of Sports,’ and I used to watch it with them, and I became a huge boxing fan. That’s my model. That’s what I’m going to build now here today.”

White has been hinting at a network deal for months now and would be a huge jump for the UFC and fans alike. His recent displeasure towards Showtime is an indication he wants a deal done sooner rather than later.

He also commented on the recent rescheduling of the Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. “Sugar” Rashad Evans fight, which was set to take place at UFC 107, following the finale of the highly anticipated The Ultimate Fighter 10, which debuts Wednesday. White said, “I hate it. I hate it so bad, I can’t even tell you how bad I hate it. I’m so mad at Rampage over this. Rampage is a guy that we’ve obviously taken under our wing the last few years. We really like him and have done a lot of good things for him. For him to do this to me, and pull out and do this goofy A-Team movie, I’m not happy about it at all…You’re gonna be a huge bonafide movie star with one role? They’re not paying him jack. Okay? He’s giving up literally millions of dollars to play Mr. T. If you think he’s gonna go in and say ‘I pity the fool’ and he’s gonna become a huge serious actor off that role, give me a friggin’ break…

His frustration is understandable considering the popular reality show has fans expecting a showdown between the coaches. White continued, “I’m mad at Rampage right now. Rampage is somebody that I consider a friend, and he put me in a bad position. I’m not happy about it. He hurt himself, he hurt us. Sometimes, seriously, you gotta save these guys from themselves. What he’s doing makes no sense whatsoever, so we’ll see how this whole thing plays out and what happens, but I’m mad at him, I don’t even want to talk to him right now. Lorenzo’s talking to him, not me.”

• Angry Mike says:

Any info on how much Rampage actually gets to for the movie?

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

Not millions I guess.

• edub says:

“For him to do this to me”…

Sorry Dana I dont feel pity for you.

• fanoftna33 says:

Sounds like Dana is mad, but I would bet it wont keep him from booking his next few fights with the ufc.

• Bullylover says:

Even though i’m not a fan of rampage being a movie star i’m pretty sure he is getting paid for this movie as good as he is for his fights.

• Lord Faust says:

Considering Dana and the Fertitas (i.e. the UFC) came and bailed him out of jail when he got all FUBAR on fasting and Redbull, I don’t blame Dana for being pissed. It’s starting to seem like everyone wants to be a fighter, except fighters.

• edub says:

That should be the title of an article Faust. GREAT LINE.

• edub says:

It’s starting to seem like everyone wants to be a fighter, except fighters.

That should be the title of an article Faust. GREAT LINE.

• dpk says:

Rampage isn’t a star, and i would guess that he probably is making alot less for this movie then he would for a mega PPV fighting Rashad. Dana will still use him on the first Network show, and the A Team movie will be mentioned numerous times during the promotion of the show.

• xtreme_machine says:

man lay off Quinton’s back!

how many times does some one get a chance to have a lead role in a million dollar hollywood movie

odds are that you will probably won’t

the sad thing that you guys won’t get that chance (just kidding)

the way i see it, the man only wants to be in a movie. That is It.

• Bad Monkey says:

You can understand Dana’s frustration here. They had this entire season of TUF set up to promote a very good fight between Rampage and Rashad, then Quinton up and pulls out of the fight. More importantly, remember how much Dana stuck up for Rampage when went all bat shit crazy after he lost to Forrest and ran from the cops, wrecked cars, etc.

Loyalty means a lot in life and Rampage needs to remember that. I pity the fool that fucks with Dana!

• submit662266 says:

I can understand Dana being frustrated. He did help Rampage with his legal problems. However, Dana is a control freak. If he can’t get his way than he must villain-ize the other person/people. Truly class-less.

• edbuzz says:

I’m fairly positive Quinton will make more for the movie role than he did his last fight ($125,000). And he won’t have to get punched in the face about 50 times to do it.

Can’t say I blame him.

The top fighters in the UFC make maybe $250,000 to $450,000 for a win. GSP made $250,000 vs. Thiago Alves. Brock Lesnar made $445,000 for his win over Frank Mir.

Oscar De La Hoya made $50 million vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. $30 million in their last fight against each other.

I purchase every single ppv event. The last boxing pay per view match I paid for was Tyson vs. Spinks.

The art of boxing is something to watch and enjoy. I was a huge Pernell Whitaker fan. But I can’t watch boxing with the likes of Don King leaving former champions penniless after successful careers.

UFC fights are awesome. The fighters should really be paid a lot more money than they are making right now.

So suck it up Dana or pay your fighters more money. Until then you have no right to complain.

• CMT says:

Seeing how much Rampage was all over Kimbo’s nuts last night, it makes sense that his has to do a movie. Rampage can’t be one uped by Kimbo’s blockbuster “Blood and Bones” or something like that.

• The whole premise of TUF is for the coaches to fight at the end of the show. Had Rampage told Dana that he wouldn’t be available to fight, do you really think he would have been selected as a coach? C’mon, what’s right is right! I’ll defend Dana once again. He stuck by Rampage after his arrest and this is how he gets repaid? Not to mention that the UFC put Rampage in the international spotlight in the first place. This has nothing to do with Dana being a control freak and everything to do with loyalty (or lack thereof).

The other thing that bothers me is this talk about “and i am sure that if most of us got that chance we will take it in a heart beat”. Won’t the opportunity to be a movie star be there for Rampage when he’s done fighting, winding down his fighting career, or at least not morally and ethically obligated to fight? After all, his personality isn’t going to change so the film world will be his oyster when he’s ready.

Not cool, Rampage, not cool!

• moosebaby02 says:

I understand how Dana feels but are they not pushing the fight back only for like 4-6 weeks??? Doesn’t seem that long to get free advertising from one of your meal tickets building up the fight that we all want to see. Don’t be fooled by what Mr. White is saying. He is just saying this to hear himself speak. I won’t be surprised to see the A Team movie all over the UFC’s web site when it is time to put it out there. He might say he is MAD but in his head he knows this mean more $$$$$$$$

• fanoftna33 says:

Well said Moosebaby

• Bullylover says:

we’ll i do know one thing ,with all these articles about rampage and the a-team movie on all these different sites none of us are ever going to forget about this fight.

• Bullylover says:

Now that i think about it who want’s to bet that the a-team will probably be a sponsor for one of the ufc’s cards. They’ll probably have it on the octagon floor in big letter s THE A-TEAM.hell rogan and goldberg will probably be saying “this fight-clock is brought to you by The A-TEAM,featuring the ufc’s own Rampage jackson.”Then every commercial break they’ll be playing a a-team commercial probably have a a-team exclusive sneek peak during the event. It would make sense the more exposure Jackson gets the more exposure the ufc gets.

• moosebaby02 says:

thats what im getting at. and guess what the fight is most likely to happen early 2010 and were talking about it know….dana loving to hear his own voice. That fight is going to be huge $$$$

• JMAN says:

I hope Dana is rubbing his hairy vagina while blowing off at the mouth…what a pus….so what if he is pissed…get a tampon! It’s ‘your” time of the month.

Rampage should have the opportunity to do whatever he wants. He doesn’t owe anything to the UFC. To them he is just a marketing tool for making them money, nothing more; nothing less. The only problem Dana has is that Rampage is out making money on his own so the UFC doesn’t own him. Rampage is marketing himself.

Reguardless of the outcome of the movie, I applaud him for jumping at the chance and I’m quite sure he is making alot more money from this movie than he would make in 3 fights in the Octogon. If the movie does go well…think how happy Dana will be the next time Rampage steps in the ring and will be calling him a genius for “stepping outside the octogon”.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

I think Dana really meant that he was missing out on $$$ himself.
    Boo Hoo.