Report: Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera could headline UFC 105

MISC MMA Chez CoutureThe last few weeks have been difficult for the Ultimate Fighting Championship as far as trying to find a good main event for the upcoming UFC 105 show in Manchester, England on November 14, but it looks like the UFC may have possibly found their headline fight.

According to the British tabloid, The Sun, it looks like the main event of UFC 105 could now feature a light heavyweight battle between “The Natural” Randy Couture (16-10) and Brandon Vera (11-3).

In the past few weeks, the UFC has been struggling to find a decent main event fight for UFC 105 ever since they decided to move the upcoming UFC lightweight title fight between BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez to UFC 107 in December. The company decided to move the lightweight title fight after Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was forced to delay his much-anticipated bout with Rashad Evans so he could take time off in order to film his role as “B.A. Baracus” in the forthcoming “A-Team” movie.

The UFC was also reportedly considering a Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Henderson main event for the show, however a contract dispute between the UFC and Henderson has forced the company to look elsewhere for a main event. The company then asked Rashad Evans if he would interested in facing Couture on the show, but he declined the fight in order to focus on an upcoming battle with “Rampage” in the near future.

A Couture/Vera fight would mark the second time each man has fought in the past four months. They both recently fought at UFC 102 in Portland, Oregon on August 29. On that card, Vera managed to pick up a unanimous-decision victory over Krzysztof Soszynski, while Couture dropped a hard fought decision to former UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

At the post-UFC 102 press conference, the UFC had announced that they had signed the 46-year old Couture to a six-fight extension. Couture then mentioned that he would be interested in fighting in both the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions. If this match-up does indeed go down, it will mark the first time Couture has appeared in the UFC’s light heavyweight division since losing to Chuck Liddell at UFC 57 back in February of 2006.

• egad81 says:

I dont know if I would say this is MAIN EVENT type fight. I would much rather see Randy fight someone exciting.

• hindsightufuk says:

to be fair being able to see Randy Couture fight in person would be a great main event in the UK, just a shame it could be against one of my least favorite fighters, i just really dont give a fuck about Vera.

But this comes from the Sun, so lets just ignore this post!

• edbuzz says:

I think this would be an interesting fight. I believe Vera would pose some problems for Couture with leg kicks. I believe Couture would pressure Vera into a real knock down, drag em out fight. I like Couture in this fight because of his aggressive style. Vera wouldn’t have the luxury of sitting back and kicking Couture to victory. He’d have to go “into his toolbox” and show us his other skills besides his striking. It’s a close fight but I like Couture.

• Bullylover says:

this fight doesn’t sound very appealing, but Randy always comes to fight so maybe he’ll force the old Vera to show up. I just pray that randy comes out with the W and doesn’t get KO.

• Makington says:

Brandon Vera was one of the most overhyped fighters a while back, but after his consecutive losses, and unimpressive debut at LHW, people have caught on. That being said, I still believe he has IMO the most technically sound Muay Thai in the UFC. His problem was he started to get into his own hype, and lacked the motivation to train properly. Judging by his last couple fights, he has taken care of his body and looked spectacular in both fights. Although the fighters weren’t nearly Couture level, I think Vera has the tools necessary to keep the fight standing and KO Randy.

If this fight happens…

• gy614x says:

In Randys last fight he showed more heart then ive seen possibly out of any fighter. Vera, not so much, i definitely think hes going to push this guy (vera) like hes never been before…Randy by decision

• xtreme_machine says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don’t want Vera to loose.

but if he could KO Randy then he becomes a top contender.

• fanoftna33 says:

Vera will not be able to keep up with Randys wrestling, but he does have some good submissions to keep Randy on his toes. I see a tko with gnp for Couture.

• xtreme_machine says:

hey i see that a lot of people are dogging Vera but i chance my opinion i think that he might pull up the upset because long reach and much faster.

but then again if Nog could not KO him i don’t think Vera can

Damn i just don’t know on this one

maybe Vera KO with Knee while Randy has him against the cage in the clinch

• BigDave says:

Right off the bat Vera will NOT ko Randy.

Vera doesn’t have the heart or determination that Randy has(not many do).
    Vera doesn’t hit hard enough to keep Randy off of him and as soon as Randy puts him down its all over.

The Natural by TKO Strikes RD 1

• aimres says:

I like this match up and I believe this fight will be very entertaining.