Paul Buentello released from Strikeforce

Paul BuentelloPaul “The Head Hunter” Buentello, a twelve year veteran of Mixed Martial Arts, has been released by Strikeforce and is currently in negotiations to return to the UFC.

Strikeforce President Scott Coker confirmed the release with Sherdog.com through a company representative, explaining,”We offered Paul a six-figure contract to fight Fedor, but he turned it down. His decision is understandable considering Fedor’s level of skill but, at the same time, Paul didn’t really fit into our plans. He’s been a solid journeyman fighter and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

The American Kickboxing Academy standout was scheduled to fight against Gilbert Yvel at “Affliction: Trilogy”, but was ultimately cancelled due to Afflictions sudden demise.

Buentello informed Sherdog that the UFC would honor his previous contract with Affliction and negotiating a possible extension.

“The Head Hunter” has an overall record of 27-10, with wins in his last two bouts against Gary Goodridge and Kirill Sidelnikov. A veteran of multiple organizations, Buentello last competed in the UFC back in 2006, scoring a TKO win over the late Gilbert Aldana at UFC 57.

• xtreme_machine says:

wow all that $$$ and Fedor, Why?

I think he knows there is no way he could beat Feodor.

Hey Buentello Vs Duffy

It won’t go pass the first round.

• BigDave says:

Coker has it right he is a solid journeyman fighter. Not wanting to fight Fedor says to me that his heart really isnt in it to be the best just be there. I can’t see the UFC wanting him for anything more then as a guy to fight up and comers on undercards or fightnight events.

• metalmulisha says:

That’s not a bad match up Paul vs Duffy and turning down a six figure deal to get worked over in about two minutes by Fedor when the UFC is going to honor his Affliction deal isn’t a bad thing.
    Paul made a good chunk of change for that last fight with Baby Fedor. Plus if they give him an extension that’s even better.

• xtreme_machine says:

Baby Fedor sucks, i know i was there live. He quit, something that someone who trains with Fedor should never even dream off.

• danw84 says:

Ohh he DOES suck? Ok I was waiting for someone who was actually there to confirm it. People watching on tv wouldn’t have seen the slight differences you would have by being there.

• Niv says:

Well now we can add Buentello to the list of fighters that avoided Fedor. If he’s in negotiations with the UFC what does that tell you, is he after the competition or avoiding it?

Sorry guys the UFC HW division is all hype and no substance at this point. I concede there is good potential but I’ve been laughing my aSs off listening to the hype surrounding this Duffee guy now. One ko with a jab against someone no one has ever heard of is enough to get UFC fans jacked.

Yet there’s nothing but hate for Fedor, I hope one day this sport grows up enough that we will see the best fight the best in open tournaments involving all promotions.

• 3OAM says:

Paul Buentello vs. Kevin Ferguson after TUF.

• twyg says:

Yeah not wanting to fight the best at your division tells me his heart is not there. I will also say that there is way too much hype for the Duffee kid, I mean we only saw 7 seconds against a journeyman fighter. Calling the UFC HW division all hype though come on. As compared to SF. I will grant you HW is not the deepest division they have but that is across the board. SF has the biggest name in the division but after that they are have a lot less talent then UFC. Honestly if Paul could have fought Fedor and turned it down he should just hang up the gloves. Also please I do not want to get into a pissing contest over which promotion is better it is a waste of all of our time and no ones mind gets chaged.

• Niv says:

twyg, no pissing match here, I can’t say SF is a better promotion than the UFC, but there are a few fighters on their roster that can compete and beat anyone anywhere.

I’m just tired of how much hype can be generated if you have a decent showing in the UFC ie (Houston Alexander, Todd Duffee) while if you ko someone in another promotion the guy was a can, overrated, or on a decline.

My last point as to why I say the UFC HW division is all hype right now is due to the fact that they are being dominated by inexperienced fighters all up and comers. The true talent in the UFC’s HW division is clearly on the tail end of their career (Big Nog, Couture, Cro Cop) the rest are green right up to the champ. Mark my words Kimbo will be revered and set up for a title shot with Brock sooner than later, and overnight he will be considered legitimate by the UFC crowd, that is hype.

As for Strikeforce’s HW division, you’re right they certainly don’t have the quantity, but the few they have can be argued still have some quality to them, though it’s a toss up between them and most UFC fighters. If SF adds a few more HW’s to their roster they could easily have a very competitive division.

The biggest difference between the two org’s right now is that one has Fedor and the other doesn’t.

• s13 says:

Hey TWYG, I never knew being 10-1 (before the duffy fight and now 10-2 for Tim Hague) makes you a journeyman…I guess randy couture has been a journeyman for years now…same with Liddel once he lost his first fight out of 10 tries…even wanderlei while he was pride champ…1 loss per 10 matches makes you a journeyman…wow how things change in MMA!

• Niv says:

s13, I have to think your journeyman comment was related to my comments above.

In all fairness absolutely nobody knows who Tim Hague is, and a 10-1 record is all good but where was it earned?

I find it funny how hypocritical the so called mma/ufc community can get. A 7 second win against a nobody is epic, but Fedor can do no good in the eyes of most UFC fans. Just can’t help but point the obvious out.

• Jak says:

Ha, ha, ha…

when people are bashing the UFC HW division, Buent is always a guy that gets added to the bottom of the list to show depth outside the UFC… now that he gets dropped and may end up in the UFC, he suddenly sucks…

ironically.. Buent vs. Fedor is one of the dumbest match ups i’ve heard, and that’s lame if that’s the route Fedor is going…

i love the hypocrisy of when little kids talk… :)

• moosebaby02 says:

+1 for Jak

• twyg says:

s13 do you honestly think Tim Hague is something more then a journeymen? Those other fighters you mentioned Randy, Chuck, and Wandi were all fighting in top promotions against top tier fighters. Where did Hague build up that record of his? Against who did he do it? What is his opponents combined record? I ask these questions not to be a dick but because I really don’t know and am hoping you could enlighten me. Next Jak I don’t know if your last post was at me or not but if it was allow me to retort. I was not bashing UFC HW division at all, I think it is the strongest out of any promotion, and with the new season of TUF they will only add to the depth. What I was saying is that out of all the wieght divisions in MMA HW is one of the shallowest across the board in every promotion. I have always thought of Paul as a gatekeeper nothing more no matter where he fights. The fact that he was going to get a shot at Fedor speaks to how little talent there is outside of the UFC.

• edub says:

1. Tim Hague is not a Journeyman in any since of the word… yet. Niv S13 wasn’t talkin to you he was talking to twyg the guy who called him a journeyman. He cant be a Jouneyman if hes only been fighting less than 3 years. Well IMO he cant anyways.

2. As for Buentello not wanting to fight Fedor is probably a good idea. I mean cmon is he beating Fedor …NO. Anything can happen in MMA but no he wouldve lost. Buentello heading to the UFC now is a lot better of an idea considering…1. They have a better track record. 2. More than 1 big fight opportunities. 3. Once he fights and loses to Fedor he’s got absolutely no negotiating power. It would make no since for the UFC to bring him in. Now he’s coming off two wins. 4. After he makes six figures for fighting Fedor hw much is Strikeforce going to pay him to fight? (Werdum, Kyle, Lawal, etc…) Probably no more than 15 to show 15 to win.

• edub says:

And to Niv I have all the respect for Fedor in the world. He was on top of my personal pfp list until the recent wins by GSP and Anderson a few months back. I just want to see him fight against the other best HWs in the world, and they reside in the UFC.

• Angry Mike says:

edub is right about Buentello’s negotiating strategy and why it makes sense for him to move to the UFC now rather than after he fights Fedor.

• Bullylover says:

so we’re barely finding out about this now when the fedor-rogers fight has been known about for weeks. Regardless if the headhunter turned the fight down or not I’m going to stay a loyal fan of his regardless. I’d really like to see him face Gonzaga if/when he gets back in the octagon.

• Niv says:

Jak I’m not sure who you were responding to regarding someone saying Buentello sucks. I haven’t said that I must have missed it if anyone else on this thread has said that.

I actually think Buentello would be a nice addition to the UFC’s HW division. It just looks strange to me that he’s leaving for the so called best HW division, yet had a chance to fight the best. He’s left the Grand Prize for a shot at the consolation prize, that just tells me he feels safer in the UFC.

Fighting Fedor is a win, win situation if you lose you lost to the best, and if you win well you did what nobody else could do.

Edub I understand you, I personally would prefer to see Fedor in the UFC simply because there are more intriguing choices, however at this point I don’t see any real threats for him yet. Of course as he gets older the odds of him being beaten will only increase and the inevitable will one day happen.