Dan Henderson a free agent, next move uncertain

Dan HendersonDan Henderson‘s contract obligations to the UFC have recently expired leaving many to wonder what the next move will be for the former multiple weight class PRIDE FC champion.

According to a recent post on the Twitter account of Josh Gross from Sports Illustrated, Henderson’s return to the UFC is far from a done deal, and the current negotiations aren’t exactly moving along at a break-neck pace.

Shootin down a rumor. Dan Henderson won’t fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in his next fight. In fact, his next fight might not be in the UFC

According to a source close to Hendo, Dan is a free agent. The source said Dan wants to remain in the UFC. It makes the most sense.

But as of right now he doesn’t have a contract with Zuffa. Negotiations were characterized as “slow.” Dan’s main focus is fighting A. Silva.

It seems like the logical move for Henderson would ultimately be to return to the UFC as there don’t seem to be any major challenges for him outside of the promotion. It would also seem that Henderson signing with the UFC would make more sense than signing elsewhere from a financial standpoint.

• fanoftna33 says:

He could go fight Shields for the strikeforce interim MW title, then destroy Cung Le.

• metalmulisha says:

His next move is he’ll be back fighting in the UFC.

The only fight he really wants right now is Anderson Silva, but it won’t happen because of Ed Soares.

• xtreme_machine says:

WTF!

I think he is just playing hard ball so that the UFC guarantees him the next shot at Anderson Silva and probably get more money.

And if he does not re-sing then he could fight Gegard Mousasi @ 205

• Jstew3785 says:

Does anyone really believe that Hendo will NOT be back in the UFC?

• edub says:

Anything could happen. Id definately like to see Dan go up against Mousasi. I say Dan by dec.

• Starforsaken says:

What the hell; hopefully the UFC won’t give him Anderson right away. He doesn’t deserve a title shot before Marquardt does, in my opinion. Unless he beats him.

• xtreme_machine says:

No, edub , i have to disagree.

I say Muosasi via 2nd TKO or Sub

He is so much, much more better on the ground than Hendo. And Hendo will be looking for the takedown.

• Makington says:

It wouldn’t make much sense for him to fight anywhere other than the UFC, since he will never make as much money or fame anywhere else. I’m on par with xtrememachine.

I think he’s just playing hard to get, to make sure he gets a shot at Silva.

• edub says:

Xtreme not to try to start an argument but why do u think Hendo is so much worse on the ground. He has lost by sub to the Nogueiras(SP?) and Anderson Silva. He went three full rounds and didnt get tapped by Palhares. He went three full rounds and didnt get tapped by Bustamante. Mousasi tapped Kang, Hunt and Manhoef; and Ko’d Jacare(upkick) and Sobral on the ground.

I would have to Hendo is a lot better than Mousasi on the ground.

And starforsaken and I agree in the fact that I think him and Nate should fight for a shot at Anderson. But If I had it my way I would have Anderson fight Okami before both of them. I think we all no that wont happen so…
    with the previous three opponents for Hendo and Marquardt I would have to give Hendo the nod. I gotta say I think wins over Palhares, Bisping, and Franklin go farther than wins over Kampman, Gouveia, and Maia.

• moosebaby02 says:

Beating Palhares and Bisping means nothing to me and he lost to Franklin imo. this reminds me of this little shit kid when I was 10 who always cried cause he never got to bat first or be the QB and always took his ball and went home.
    Nate the Great should get the shot at the belt. What 8-2 in the UFC and the two loses were to the champ and a so called champ contender which imo he should have won anyways

• Starforsaken says:

Amen, edub. I totally agree that Okami has done more than enough to get the title shot; more than Hendo and Marquardt have! It’s ridiculous that the UFC keeps putting him to fight on the undercard.

They could even hype the fight with all that unfinished business stuff. Perhaps a sweet KO over Sonnen, like he did with Tanner, would be one way to go!

• edub says:

Yea Star I think the KO over Tanner did the trick thats why he was slated for the titleshot before he got hurt. I just think a fighter shouldnt have to go back down the “ladder” because he recieved an injury.

• metalmulisha says:

moosebaby02 “if I were Dana I would give him a one fight deal that states “since you want to hard ball me for a title shot then you can have it but you have to win. if not you must hang your head in shame as you leave the UFC forever.””

What are you talking about?

Do you not remember Dana said himself in a live press conference that Henderson was next in line for Silva.
    Dan isn’t acting like a baby at all. There’s nothing wrong with coming out publicly and saying who you’d like to fight next.

Truthfully Dan most likely wouldn’t be a free agent and the Anderson Silva fight would be happening next if it was up to the UFC alone but Silva’s camp most notably his manager Ed Soares doesn’t want the fight for whatever reason. And it’s not because they think it unfair to Marquardt. That’s BS.

You can’t call Dan a baby for wanting a fight he was told was the next thing for him after the Franklin rematch was cancelled.

• Angry Mike says:

He’ll be back in the UFC because he’s one of the few true Pride guys who have successfully transitioned to the UFC. He’s a former TUF coach who ko’d his rival in a highlight-reel fashion. And if he beats Marquardt, he should get another shot at Silva. He might even get one without having to fight Marquardt, although I think he should have to.

• fanoftna33 says:

If Henderson wont fight the ufc could match up Nate vs Okami, while Okami has more MW wins Nate has convincing wins over better opponents. Okami has stopped three of his 8 opponents, two were tuf fighters and not very good(1 was Kalib starns- nothing more to say about that win) the third stoppage was to a not ready to fight Evan Tanner. Nate has shown the ability to finish his fights recently much more so than Okami or Henderson and I belive he should get the next shot if possiable.

• fanoftna33 says:

Okami has more MW wins assuming he gets by Sonnen.

• metalmulisha says:

I just read on mma fanhouse Henderson/Marquardt ufc 105 main event.

So much for free agency.

• edub says:

Metal are you trying to imply Ed Soares and Anderson are a little scared of Hendo?

• edub says:

Cuz I although I dont agree fully I think you would have some substance to your argument.

• metalmulisha says:

No that’s not what I’m saying at all.

What I’m saying is Soares manages two of the top 3 or 4 fighters in the UFC plus numerous other top Brazilian fighters and I think that he’s getting a big head and thinks he’s much more important than he is.

What other manager goes out publicly and says hey these two guys should fight that’s what we want. When he has nothing to do with either guy.
    I know Monte Cox comes out a lot and says this is what fight we want but at least one of the fighters involved is his guy, not two fighters he has nothing to do with.

Soares should keep his mouth shut he’s not a match maker. He just happens to go out and grab nearly ever single top Brazilian fighter there is and manages them. Except for one’s affiliated with Chute Box anyway.

• edub says:

Ah understandable.

I think I understand Soares POV though. Anderson’s drawing power is getting lower because he is percieved by the public to be unbeatable(this happend to RJJ in the late nineties and earlier this decade). Anderson needs an opponent capable of drawing enough attention just as much as himself for the biggest payday.

On a side note anyone know anything about Anderson’s payscale. I know the past couple fights hes been severly underpaid IMO and I know that a lot of people thought this was valid because he’s fought more than most the other champs in the UFC.

• xtreme_machine says:

I know i will get bashed for this but here it goes:

Okami is simply not on the same level as Nate or Hendo.

The only top guy @ MW that he has beaten is Belcher. ( Mike Swick is a welterwight period. R.I.P. Tanner was not at the top of his level anymore, but if he beats Chael Sonnen i say he should be in the discusion at least. One more thing, i know it sad but it is true, Okami is not a marketable fighter and in this day an age you need to be some what marketable. How is he going to compete with the two amazing KOs Hande and Nate had. they do not get much better than that.

Also, WTF he did not beat Anderson it was an ILLIGAL KICK, common guys. )

While, hendo and Nate have beaten tons of top level guys and you guys do not need me to list them. i am sure you know them well.

• nope says:

Moosebaby is officially dangling from Marquardt’s balls.

• edub says:

Xtreme you put up a good argument. I think the Swick and Tanner wins should be held in a higher account though. I also think wins over lIster and MacDonald are awesome too. Eventhough they were boring he dominated both fights.

I just think Okami deserves his shot because he has waited and if he beats Sonnen he would be 8-1 in the UFC. Hed also be the only contender to not already have a loss to Silva.

• Rich S. says:

Damn.. I was liking the sound of Hendo/Rogerio 2.. :(

I would hate to see Hendo stop fighting for the UFC..

I’m with some of the others, I’m sure we’ll be seeing “Hendo vs. Silva 2 set for UFC 1–” in the headlines sometime soon..

• xtreme_machine says:

yeah like i said if he beats Sonnen he deserves to be in at least consideration but IMO he still needs a BIG win over a TOP contender.

Maybe Okami vs Nate

winner gets a title shot since Dan is being a stubborn little baby.

• submit662266 says:

I think there is a lot to the argument of letting Okami have a shot. He is not a huge draw though. Silva (doesn’t draw fans for some insane reason) v. Okami (does not draw fans) equals not gonna happen anytime soon. Hendo would draw more fans, I suppose, especially with the Bisping beatdown so fresh in everyone’s mind. UFC does not book fights on merit alone. Otherwise Okami would have had a title shot a long time ago.

In the end, Okami, Nate, and Hendo will all be punished by Silva: they are just racing to the front of the line to have their a$$ handed to them (Thank you sir, may I have another?!)

• Kamakosmo says:

Sign him and give him the fight he so deserves…Silva. Give him this rematch knowing he will go in stronger and more confident then ever. Knowing that Silva’s remaining contract leaves the UFC very few options for an excellent money night with him. Knowing that this fight will be a huge Main Event with all of the normal “Biggest fight in UFC history” nonsense (which we here about every other PPV, LOL) Knowing…that Hendo has earned it, he deserves this rematch. Give it to him, give it to Silva. There are many winners in this scenario. You , me, Dan, the UFC, Anderson, the Cable Companies, we all come out on top. Make it happen.

• BigDave says:

Ok, I’m really getting sick of decision dan now. Sign your contract fight who you are told to and stfu. Beating Bisping no matter how convincing does not get you a title shot automatically. Lets face facts here Dan would not beat nate or silva at this point in his career. Nate can and probably will beat Silva, and its a much better fight imo. Maybe Dan can fight okami and get the winner of nate/silva if he can beat okami which is a toss up.

• twyg says:

What should be looked at is how many fights are left on Andersons contract before he goes out to box Roy Jones jr. I think we all agree that the guys we want to see him fight are Hendo, Nate, and Okami. Now the question is in what order? Hendo first because we want the best fight out of him before he starts going down hill. Seeing as he is getting up there in age that time is coming sooner rather then later. He is also more marketable coming of the coaching gig and the KO over Bisping. Next is Nate, he has beaten better compition then Okami, and he is more marketable coming off of the KO over Maia. Give him a scrub to keep his name out there. Last is Okami because although he has a lot of wins the public does not really know him. That is his fault and the UFCs. His for not puttng on exciting fights, and the UFCs for not marketing him and giving him well known fighters (which is changing). If he beats Sonnan I say give him someone like Cote, a name/marketable fight that will give him a test.

• edub says:

Big Dave why so much hate for Dan. “Lets face facts here Dan would not beat nate or silva at this point in his career.”

Where in the world would do you come up with this stuff? Id have Dan as a good favorite in the Marquardt fight. And if you say beating Bisping doesnt get you a title shot that what would beating Maia get you. They both were around the same place in the rankings.

• BigDave says:

@edub It’s not that I hate Dan but his attitude of late is rubbing me the wrong way a bit. As for bisping my ranking I would have Maia still a bit ahead of the count but you are right they are quite close. Maia has been more convising in his fights only going to decision 1 time and finishing most of his fights in the first round. And I didnt say beating Maia meant a title shot either. but Hendo vs. Nate now there is the fight to establish the the number one contender. So Hendo saying he will not fight anyone but Silva says to me that 1.he thinks he is above nate and that he doesn’t feel that he needs to fight him,or 2.He is afraid to fight Nate because there is a strong possibility that he could lose that fight and thus move down the line and have to fight Maia or bisping or Okami to get the number one contender spot. With Hendo quickly approaching 40 I can’t see him with to many more good fights left in him. But just because he is nearing the end of his career it shouldnt mean that he gets the fight he wants without earning it by facing a guy just as deserving in my opinion.

• metalmulisha says:

Well BigDave obviously you should either follow what’s happened or you have a shitty memory.

Dana and Zuffa told Dan and everyone he was next to fight Anderson Silva. So he isn’t being a baby or bitch or being unreasonable.

If you don’t like the guy just say so, but to go on and on when you’re wrong is pretty pathetic.

• xtreme_machine says:

” they are just racing to the front of the line to have their a$$ handed to them (Thank you sir, may I have another?!) ”

Yes thank you for saying it.

(And i mean a Diego Sanchez – YES!!!)

• BigDave says:

WOW Metal you must be the only guy on the planet that would believe anything that comes out of Dana White’s mouth. Dana only cares about Dana plain and simple and if that means he goes back on what he said well then that is what he is going to do.

Oh, you must not have ever read anything I’ve typed here because when I don’t like someone I make that very clear.

One last thing, How is it that I’m pathetic just because I would love to see a fight between Hendo and Nate?

I promise one last thing this time. I never once called Hend a baby or a bitch I said he needs to sign his contract, fight who he is told to fight and STFU. Don’t put words in my mouth and do me a favor if your going to disagree with me thats fine but calling me pathetic because you dont agree with my opinion just makes you look bad.

• metalmulisha says:

No you look bad this is the second time you’ve posted Dan should stfu and fight who he’s told to.
    Well first after Bisping he was told he was going to fight Franklin again then he was told he was next for Silva and now he’s got Marquardt. The guy has every right to be a little annoyed.

And I don’t want to see Henderson/Marquardt because it’s bullshit if the UFC comes out and says this is to see who’s the true number 1 contender, because since when is the UFC in the market of determining a true number 1 contender before they get a title shot.
    Were Cote, and Leites clear cut number 1 contenders? No way.
    And Lesnar? Give me a break.
    If this fight is made it has really nothing to do with getting a number 1 contender it’s because that’s what Silva and his camp want and they have a lot of pull right now.

• madheartmma says:

moosebaby02 says..??? Hendo is a LEDGEND..act like you know. NOPE SAID IT BEST: “Moosebaby is officially dangling from Marquardt’s balls.”
    moosebaby02 says..??? “this reminds me of this little shit kid when I was 10 who always cried cause he never got to bat first or be the QB and always took his ball and went home.” WTF? REALLY? THAT REMINDS YOU OF DAN HENDERSON? Marquardt IS GOOD, VERY GOOD, BUT REALLY? HOLD ON TIGHT.

• twyg says:

BigDave I was not trying to say that because he is older that he should get first crack a A.Silva. My thinking was that the UFC would want to get the most out of it and having Silva fight Hendo now before he is washed up makes more sense if you are marketing the fight. Make as much money as you can. All this talk about a contender fight is nice but it makes no sense from a marketing prespective IMO. The loser gets knocked down and probably needs 3 wins to get back. By that time Silva is boxing, and some other MW gets a shot. All three of the above mentioned guys are the only MW worthy of a shot IMO. Plus lets not kid ourselves, as has been stated earlier they are all just getting in line for an @$$ kicking anyway.

• moosebaby02 says:

so what if im hugging Nate the Greats Balls. imo he will give Silva the best fight. and i know Dana said Hendo was next in line but he say allot of shit dosnet mean he is going to stand by it. if so Okami would have his shot by now. Hendo knows how things happen and how things can get twisted around and now this im a free agent unless i get what i want shit rubbs me the the wrong way. ah what the hell do i know anyways

• moosebaby02 says:

oh i Love Nate the Great

• gatorbones12 says:

BIG DAVE> I don’t necessarily agree with what you said (although I don’t entirely disagree either), however, I commend you in the way you dealt with that “pathetic” comment. You’re a better man than I!

• Niv says:

Geez guys why do we always expect fighters to just sign and stfu? What’s going on here that we don’t understand that these guys have to look after their best interest and just signing may not fit into that.

If Hendo is looking for leverage because he knows he’s getting older and wants another crack at Silva, well power to him, anyone should be able to see the logic in that. In my opinion Hendo had the best showing against Silva in the UFC even though he only went 2 rounds. He clearly dominated Silva in the first and may actually have a blueprint on how to beat him?

I know many think he lost the Franklin fight, but I guess I’m one of the few who thought he beat Rampage in their bout.

If Hendo doesn’t sign with the UFC the potential Mousassi vs Hendo fight could be a great one, but I’m in agreement with X-treme machine Mousassi takes this one.

• “I know many think he lost the Franklin fight, but I guess I’m THE ONLY ONE who thought he beat Rampage in their bout.”

Fixed that for ya.

• fanoftna33 says:

I thought the Rampage vs Henderson fight was very close and I remember wanting Henderson to win but its been a while since I have seen it.

• It wasn’t that close at all.

Rampage clearly won the decision.

• edub says:

I thought it was close. I think Rampage won the decision, but it wasnt like it couldve been a split or the decision could have gone to Dan in hindsight.

• Niv says:

Hey Sergio it’s not like I didn’t see that coming. I should have said I know I’m the only one here who thought Hendo won that fight. I watched that fight live with a few friends and every one of us thought he won a razor thin decision. It was as close as it gets and I thought he did win the Franklin fight in another close call.

Either way I like Hendo and I would love to see him fight Marquardt, I think edub’s right I’ll take Hendo vs Marquardt in what could be a war.