Gegard Mousasi calls Paulo Filho out: ‘The steroids have gone to his head’

Gegard MousasiNewly crowned Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi is normally a very calm, soft spoken type of guy, but recent comments by Brazilian submission specialist Paulo Filho have served to fire up the docile Dutch-Armenian phenom.

In a recent interview with Tatame.com, Filho was quoted as saying,”[Mousasi] doesn’t have my strength, he doesn’t have my level on the ground. He can be a better striker, but he doesn’t have my strength and he’ll go down once and be submitted.”

Now as you may have noticed, Filho mentioned his perceived strength advantage twice in comparing himself to the Strikeforce champion. Strength Mousasi feels more than likely come from “special powers” and he doesn’t mean that Filho was bit by a radioactive spider, as he would explain in an interview with Fighters.com,”What happened when he came to America? He got beat up, now he’s back in Japan and he feels like a kid in a candy story I think. He can use all kinds of steroids. I think the steroids have gone to his head.

“He didn’t perform the same as he does in Japan as in America, and now he suddenly has a big mouth again.”

Referring specifically to Filho’s recent loss to Chael Sonnen on American soil , Mousasi speculated,”I think he wasn’t feeling very good mentally because he cannot use his magic stuff.

“I would say that he’s a little donkey on steroids that thinks he’s a running horse now, but he’s more like a little pony.”

Mousasi would go on to explain that although he would love to teach Filho a lesson for his recent remarks, under no circumstances would he face the Brazilian in Japan, or anywhere drug tests aren’t conducted for that matter.

Gegard would stop just short of calling the whole Japanese fighting community out on there long-standing practice, or non-practice, of failing to drug test their fighters, explaining,”You saw what happened with other fighters that came from Japan, when they fought in the U.S., and how they performed. So…. I don’t know….. it annoyed me, what he said.”

• edub says:

Wow wow wow wow wow wow.

I just became a Gegards number one fan. This guy isnt afraid of shit, and finally a top fighter calls out Japan on there practice of not testing. Awesome just awesome.

• xtreme_machine says:

he should not say that since he has to finish the DREAM tournament in Japan against Sokoudjou

but i agree with him 100%

• metalmulisha says:

Does anyone know where I can see this interview because I can’t believe Mousasi said this it’s so out of character for him to open up and talk a bunch of shit. Whether it’s true or not he’s more low key like Fedor not out spoken like this.

• Oh shit! He is right about Paulo not performing well in America though. Paulo hasnt shown half of what he did in Pride. Hopefully he can get it together.

• Lord Faust says:

To be fair to Paulo, I think his substance issues — from what was reported, anyway — had more to do with abuse than performance enhancement. That said, Gegard makes a valid point; there is zero reason not to test fighters. These guys put their lives literally on the line; I’ve always wondered how some of the guys really feel about the lack of testing overseas. I’m somewhat shocked that so little has been said.

• Makington says:

That was a pretty perfect comeback for Gegard. I mean, what can Paulo say to that?

I haven’t been a huge fan of Mousasi but I thought that was just awesome.

• BigDave says:

Filho is a loser and I agree with Gegard the steroids have gone to his head. There is not one aspect of MMA where Filho is even on par with Gegard. As for the drug testing I think that japan needs to start regular testing or lose all north american television rights and ppv events. That would make them change in a heartbeat.

• Austin says:

He’s right. Look at teh Chute Boxe Crew. Looks at Barnett, Look at Royce Gracie. Alot of the pride guys were juicers. Even Alistair Overeem is worried about cycling off so he doesn’t get popped.

• moosebaby02 says:

not what i expected from Gegard at all, but all the power to him. metalmulisha i dont think its him really talkig shit more of him standing up for himself when some punk like Filho starts talking shit. Good for him. But i don agree this does seem way out of character for him. I would have love for him to just say nothing and let his fist do the talking but this is 100 times better. Good for him and i hope he gets the chance to shut that roid filled mouth of Filho’s.

• hindsightufuk says:

just big big props to Gegard, i been following this guy since seeing him in small shows in England, Ireland & Amsterdam, and the guy is someone i have had the pleasure of watching develop to the border line of being a huge star. Love this guy

• fanoftna33 says:

All he did was say what most U.S. fans feel goes on for a lot of fighters in Japan.

• hindsightufuk says:

actually its quite common for people outside of the US to get an idea of whats going on as well.

• Jstew3785 says:

He called him a “little donkey”? Hilarious! I am loving this guy more and more each day

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder if it is just accepted more overseas(steriods and other PED) more than it is here. Not that it is used less in the U.S. but everybody denies it (except the few who honestly admit mistakes like Leben, and Franca and Sylvia).
    I know in many other countries it is legal to purchase steriods so maybe the attitude towards them is more nonchalant.

• fanoftna33 says:

Of all the guys from Pride I have seen come to the UFC really only a few have looked very different. Wanderlei Silva, and Cro Cop are the few that come to mind.

• hindsightufuk says:

do you mean wandy and cro cop look different cos maybe they’re not juicing now? or that they are the exception? sorry wasnt sure what you meant

• fanoftna33 says:

They dont look as good as they looked back in Pride. When I watched thoes guys fight(and it wasnt that long ago) they looked like they were almost unbeatable then they come to the UFC and look completly different. Weather its because of steriods or the level of talent they are now facing is so much better now i cant say for sure and very few people can. I feel that the drug testing here in the U.S. has a lot to do with it though.

• xtreme_machine says:

“I think that japan needs to start regular testing ”

Then were are Filho, Barnnet, Sherk (yes Sherk) and GSP

GSP- (Yes i am with Penn on this. i think he juices and he is a legitimate cheater and not just the grease gate thing but also pours gallons of water on his back on most of his first fights. Look it up!)

• xtreme_machine says:

If you guys want to see the interview here is the link:

www youtube com/watch?v=fzOVrznNBWI

• fanoftna33 says:

• xtreme_machine says:

I meant to say that

Then were are Filho, Barnnet, Sherk (yes Sherk) and GSP going to fight.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah i follow, i’m not sure about wandy, its hard to tell cos he had taken so many beatings that could just finally be taking their toll. had pride continued he may have taken the same route anyway. as for cro cop i think he is just so scared of getting knocked out again as in the gonzaga fight. remember him after the kevin randleman ko, he never seemed to want to stand and engage with anyone after that. plus he took so many easy fights against smaller/lesser opponents (Kanehara, Oyama, Magomedov, Minowa, Yoshida).
    to be fair only rampage has really looked like a demon ex pride, i cant think of any one else. Hendo has been on the decline but thats most likely age not steroids, big nog isnt as trim and capable

• fanoftna33 says:

Rampage looks like the same fighter, also Herring and Nog look as good as before. Sokodju looks really bad in the U.S. but just got a ko on a giant in Japan so go figure. It will be interesting how Mousasi handles that upcoming fight now .

• fanoftna33 says:

Good point on Rampage Hindsight.

• hindsightufuk says:

mousasi vs sokodju is the last fight availble for Gegard at lhw? unless im forgetting anyone. i guess he’s got filho, manhoef, arona maybe at catch weights/lhw?
    he really needs to go to the ufc. its the only place for lhw’s now unfortunately. especially now little nog and tito are there

• fanoftna33 says:

I think he would do pretty good in the ufc but the talent level is going to be so much higher that his win streak will end. At 205 the ufc really has cornered the market pretty well. I would really like to see him face off with Franklin to see where he is at.

• RU486 says:

A tune up fight with Franklin, Jardine, or Forrest would be perfect. Someone who isn’t going to have a chance of knocking him out, but with enough ranking and draw that it would be a big fight. After that I could easily see Gegard challenging Machida, since after Shogun I don’t see anyone else with the capacity of beating him right now. Machida / Mousasi would be the technical standup war of the century. Gegard reminds me of Cro-Cop when he was taking heads off.

• edub says:

I dunno if Id have Forrest, Franklin, and Jardine in there as tune ups. They all have KO ability. Jardine would be the easiest fight for obvious reasons. Franklin could quite possibly KO him or beat him on the ground. And if Forrest gets him on the ground it would be a bad day for Mousasi.

Im not saying these fighters would definately beat Gegard and I definately wouldnt bet on it, but I dont think they can be considered tuneup fights(again except Jardine maybe).

• hindsightufuk says:

personally i’d put him straight in at the deep end. little nog, shogun, rashad. let people see how dangerous this guy really is

• Jstew3785 says:

Neither Forrest nor Franklin have KO power at 205. Jardine sorta does, but he also has a glass chin. Of the 3, I would give Forrest the best shot at beating him. I know he just got humiliated by Silva, but Forrest isn’t a tuneup for anybody. Mousasi vs Cane anyone?

• hindsightufuk says:

ooh yeah, vs cane would be nice, Thiago Silva would be sweet too

• Jstew3785 says:

Oh hell yeah. Thiago Silva would be sweet too. I think I pretty much just want to see him fight anybody though.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep same here, just want to see him fight 3 or 4 times a year. i cant see it happening outside of the ufc though. unless he wants to start fighting at heavyweight now, which i think would be a bad idea

• Angry Mike says:

Mousasi shouldn’t get bent about anything Filho says. I’ll never forget Filho’s last fight against Sonnen in the WEC. Filho didn’t make weight and spent the fight wandering around the ring and talking to himself or somebody who wasn’t there. The guy looked barking mad for whatever reason. Why worry about anything he has to say?

• Bullylover says:

a fight between thiago silva and mousasi sounds nice but i wonder if it might end up like the mousasi/sobral fight,maybe lasting a little bit longer. I don’t think filho has the striking that mousasi does by any chance. He probably just has more power.But yeah if he made i to the ufc fights with Franklin,Forrest,shogun,jardine and cane sound ammussing.

• Niv says:

fanoftna33 if you look closely you’ll see that Wanderlei Silva was definitely on a decline before he came to the UFC. He had a couple of split decision victories, a split decision loss, a unanimous decision loss and two brutal ko losses back to back before he came to the UFC. As such I think timing is everything and many of the Pride fighters coming over were on steep declines.

Big Nog I have to disagree with you, I think he’s definitely not the same guy that fought in Pride but he’s still a threat to anyone. Heath Herring was done before he left Pride and is a shell of his former self, Cro Cop was a victim of the kick that changed his career by Gonzaga, a fighter that shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath but that’s what the HW’s bring.

Now Rampage and A silva hit the UFC at just the right time in their careers as both of them were competitive fighters in Pride but just couldn’t break the through in the case of Rampage especially.

I really don’t know how many fighters were juicing there, but I think guys like Wandy don’t physically look much different to me, but who really knows.

Either way I can’t wait for Shogun to ko Machida as I think he’s the real LHW champ that has been long over due to be crowned, it should be an epic bout.

Now to Mousassi I think he’s the successor and will be the guy to beat in the very near future, he reminds me of Shogun when he broke into Pride when he was 22 years old.

• “I did see Penn’s interview on the GSP steriod stuff and I have to admit he has a valid point. Weather or not its true though is a tough question.”

What valid point is that?

Penn’s argument was basically, “He isn’t lazy like me and doesn’t balloon up in weight between fights so he MUST be on steroids!”

• moosebaby02 says:

Thank you Sergio. I was going to make that argument but what can you do when it will be against a GSP hater