Wanderlei Silva explains recent surgery

WanderleiThere has been much speculation on Wanderlei Silva’s recent surgeries, so “The Axe Murderer” decided to set the record straight himself.

He recently posted a blog entry on YouTube to comment on everything from his surgery, a new tattoo, what he’s doing now, to the prospect of fighting for Wand Fight Team.

From pictures floating around the internet it was apparent that his eyes had been changed. What he actually had done was have the bone scrapped around his eyes to avoid getting cut during fights. He claimed almost all of his fights required between 7-12 stitches following the bout, from what he was calling “big cuts from scratches”.

He also had his nose fixed to clear a better breathing passage. He said after a broken nose suffered during his second bout with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, his nose started to bend. His nose has been broke many times since then, during training and fights, which led to him also suffering from sleep apnea. He also commented that when the doctor opened up his nose, “she called her assistant over to show how ugly it was.”

Although the scars are still apparent around his eyes, Silva says he’s training as much as he can, even though a fight anytime soon seems very far off. He claims with the surgery he is ready to “start a new era and fresh beginning in his career”, and has been cutting weight and dieting to eventually make his debut in the UFC at 185 lbs.

Silva said this is the first time in his 13 year career he has taken a break and wants to focus his attention on his team and new gym. He will be holding open tryouts at his gym to give young fighter who may not be at the professional level, a chance to break in to the big leagues. Silva wants to build a stronger fight team to represent his gym, in addition to helping new up-and-comers.

Open tryouts will be held in October, and participants will be selected by Silva and his coaches to see who will represent the Wand Fight Team. For more information visit wandfc.com

• xtreme_machine says:

who do you guys think will be is next opponent?

i say either – Gouveia , Belcher , or Leben (Slug-fest)

• sigmund says:

I hope he comes back at 100% I love watching wand fight. win or lose he’s one of my fav’s. Depending on how long he’s out for i can see him facing the loser of belfort/franklin. both would be great rematches.

• Rich S. says:

Well, he hasn’t had an easy opponent yet..
    I would like to see them set him up with a smaller name to get him back in the mix.. and get him a W for once..

But, he’ll probably just come right back in with a main event fight..

I hope he comes back better than ever..

With the way he fights, it’s very easy to develop a strategy against it, and beat him with little to no problems..

If he can get a little more technical, start using his FREAKING KNEES AGAIN, and STAY AT FREAKING MIDDLEWEIGHT, we’ll see him fight for the title within the next two years.. If not, we’ll probably see him retire within the next few years..

• sigmund says:

well put rich…

• Makington says:

He has the same problem as Chuck Liddell. People have just figured him out by now to the point where they could fight blindfolded. At the same time he, like Chuck, refuses to adapt his style and pays because of it.

Can you guy picture a Wanderlei who kept his hands up and blocked a punch or two before sending a wild haymaker flurry at his opponent?

I like that he’s trying to help up and comers that haven’t gotten a break yet. Like his very own TUF haha.

• thunder okami says:

Wandy vs. Sexiyama!

• Rich S. says:

I just don’t understand why Wand stopped using his knees.. He even said that he wouldn’t use them before the 3rd Rampage fight..

Why would you ever commit to not using your knees? Sure, he has heavy hands, but his knees are probably the most deadly we’ve ever seen in all of MMA.. Second only to Spider Silva’s..

I know he doesn’t even really care about winning.. The ONE THING he wants from a fight is the satisfaction of his fans..

He needs to realize that WINNING would satisfy his fans.. Does he think that he needs to throw these wild (and almost ALWAYS MISSING) haymakers to please us? I would LOVE to see him unleash some knees on his opponent.. THAT’S WHAT HE’S KNOWN FOR!!!

Argh, cases like this just really get my blood boiling.. I wish that I could just somehow say this to his face, and change his strategy :)

• Lord Faust says:

I really want to see a rejuvenated Wanderlei back in the mix. Maybe it’s just me, but the Cro Cop fight seemed to take a lot out of him and since then he’s had some rough losses. Also, I completely agree with Rich about Wanderlei not using his knees. WHAT. THE. HELL!?

I’ll support The Axe Murderer no matter what; he’s definitely a true warrior. But I really want to see him back on top of his game!

• neijia says:

being a “warrior” is really, really, really stupid. we praise these guys for being so tough but look how beaten down they get after a few years. then they are just no longer the same no matter how much we want them to come back. everyone else other than A Silva and Machida is going to have to change their game plan of “willing to slug it out” wildly to entertain the fans, as much as we all love watching crazy punching. some of us complain about tennis elbow or something like that messing up our weekend sports game. can’t imagine how this level of damage screws the pro fighters up. wanderlei’s toughness has always been great but he seems to have paid too high a price over time relying on it.

• neijia says:

one problem i see in wand’s old style is he kept a very closed boxing guard and attempted boxing type short hooks even from long distance, not “in the pocket”. contrast that with, say, mike tyson, who had a super aggressive style but wouldn’t unleash til he actually closed using footwork, head and torso movement. fedor has some of that. “bridging” skill, whether it’s the rickson gracie way, or the machida way, is still missing in a lot of mma fighters. wand looks like he would walk or run straight in just throwing aggressively.

come to think of it, that looks like what brett rogers does as well and that ain’t gonna work on someone like fedor with a lot of footwork that matches up to the handwork. imagine brett rogers vs. mike tyson of old in pure boxing and it’s easy to imagine that outcome. now, say fedor has 30% of tyson’s boxing skills + a thousand other tricks and it’s still easy to imagine the outcome no matter the range of the fight.

• Hope it all works out well for Wand. He recently did a seminar at the gym I train at. I wasn’t able to attend but I hear it went well. H

• cocoonofhorror says:

anyone know where Wandy’s gym is? i would like to check it out.

• Lord Faust says:

Neijia, I didn’t call him a “warrior” because he throws down, win or lose. I use the term to describe a man who has always stepped up to challenges; be it fighting guys who outweigh him like Mark Hunt, or stepping in against top strikers like Cro Cop in their own division. He’s never given me reason to think he’s ducked a fight. He steps up, throws down, and seems to genuinely love what he does. For that, if nothing else, I respect the man. So yeah, a warrior he is.

• neijia says:

True, true, totally agree. this guy seems willing to fight any time against anyone. that fight against Hunt was awesome and Hunt looked surprised he won. I do admire his grit.

my rant about warriors wasn’t supposed to be in direct response to you. just seems a little unfortunate some fighters are too tough for their own long term good. getting through a bad round or fight like Wanderlei vs Cro Cop is one thing, but other fighters seem to go back to the drawing board much faster and intently. I suspect Wanderlei can take more pain than the average tough mma fighter. Big Nog is another one of these guys. He says compared to his truck accident, everything else is nothing, but that doesn’t seem like the best thing for him.

Had Rulon Gardner continued in mma, he would probably take the cake, though. He was shot by an arrow, lost a toe, hit by a car on a motorcycle, and survived a plane crash into 44 F water, swimming for an hour and lasting the night in 28 F temp with no food, shelter or fire. Too bad we’ll never see him fight Lesnar.

• Lord Faust says:

Heh, funny enough, I agree with your sentiments with regards to guys abandoning solid gameplans in favour of eating fists to the face in hopes of winning of FOTN bonus. I hope we don’t see a bunch of 2nd tier MMA guys all suffering from pugilistica dementia in the next 10-20 years.

• neijia says:

Ah yeah I totally forgot about FOTN. I’m all for the fighters trying to also entertain (Wanderlei Silva is just great that way) but sheesh. There is some fine line there that’s tough to balance, I guess, and they have to try to make some money and increase their own brands’ “equity” in a limited time.

• MMA-LOGIC says: