Elbow surgery puts Anderson Silva on the shelf until 2010

anderson-silvaIt appears as though UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva may be forced to the sidelines until sometime in 2010 due to elbow surgery.

According to a recent report from MMA Live, the surgery will render Silva unable to compete throughout the duration of this year.

As of this time it is unknown as to when the injury occurred as there was no news of an injury following his recent first round demolition of Forrest Griffin during UFC 101 on August 8, and “The Spider” had reportedly taken some time off following the victory.

It now appears as though both Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson will have to wait it out in order to have their opportunities at championship redemption, or perhaps a bout between the two would make sense in the near future.

• sides666 says:

this is very unfortunate

• t-shreds says:

agreed… altho a hendo – nate fight would settle who is worthy

• fanoftna33 says:

This happened when Serra was forced out of his first title fight against St.Pierre and the ufc immediatly made a interim title fight between gsp and Hughes. I hope they follow suite here and make Nate vs Henderson for the interim MW belt.

• xtreme_machine says:

Nate Marquardt Vs Dan Henderson

Winner gets Intermtitle or #1 contender

Marquardt via 2nd Round TKO

• sides666 says:

hendo vs nate needs to happen tough one to predict though

• fanoftna33 says:

If it does happen it will be a war. I am interested to see how(if dan can get him down) Nate fights off his back. I know he is a black belt in bjj but I havent seen him fight off his back yet.

• edub says:

I say Dan wins via unanimous dec. Nate has never fought as good as a wrestler as Dan. Dan would take the dec if not tko him.

• Jstew3785 says:

They say 2010 like it’s a long time. It’s only 4 months away. Why create an interim belt? Belts have gone longer than that without being defended. As dominant as Silva has been there is no reason to create an interim belt.

• edub says:

Agreed with Jstew.

• BigDave says:

Ya its only 4 months but with andersons recent ducking of anything resembling a good fight it could be a year before we see him defend the title to a worthy opponent. When he comes back he will probably want to fight tito at 205 or some other fight at 205 just so he doesnt have to defend his title. I used to like Silva but I’m loseing respect for him more and more with each passing day.

• JBAR says:

I would say if he is projected to be out more than 6 months create the interim belt and when Silva is back take the top 4 guys and unify the belts similar to what happened with Brock, Randy, Nog and Mir in the HW division. Hendo and Nate can fight for the interim belt and defend it at least once in the 6 months Silva is out.

• xtreme_machine says:

he wants to retire undefeated and with the Middleweight belt

• Batman says:

Wow Hendo vs Nate that would be awesome. I think thats more entertaining then their rematches with Silva. Plus I think who ever wins the fight would come out a better fighter.

• Makington says:

True that Henderson is a better wrestler who could potentially put Nate down at will, but Dan is one of the worst fighters in MMA for neglecting his strengths and fighting a worse fight for him. I’m not hating on him, I actually like him quite a lot. He always makes an exciting fight and he’s always been a real gentleman, but he almost never resorts to his wrestling, which is more than world class. It’s the same problem with Jorge Gurgel, the BJJ black belt who hates the ground.

I think if Henderson opts to stand with Nate, he’ll get worked over all 3 rounds (potentially 5). However, if he remembers he is a great wrestler, I think he could TKO Nate on the ground and save himself a lot of bruises in the morning.

• BigDave says:

xtreme_machine says:
    September 4, 2009 at 9:38 pm

he wants to retire undefeated and with the Middleweight belt

Um last time i checked Silva had lost four fights so there goes the undefeated thing.

• Makington says:

I think he meant undefeated in the UFC, which is what most American fans will remember more. (even the bizarre flying heel hook loss to Chonan)

• The flying heel hook loss to Chonan was amazing. That forever made Chonan a badass no matter what happens to him in the future. If that had happened in the UFC it would be on highlight reels forever.

• xtreme_machine says:

That brilliant move immortalized Chonan

That was a thing of beauty that will forever be imprinted in our MMA brains.

I wonder if we will ever see that move again. Hail the flying hell hook.

and yes i meant undefeated in the UFC

• Jstew3785 says:

BigDave- I know I said something before in another forum, but I’ll say it again. Silva isn’t ducking anybody. He doesn’t get to pick his fights! How hard is that to understand? He was told to defend against Cote and Leites, it wasn’t his choice! Did GSP ask for Thiago Alves? Did Evans ask for Machida? No! The fact that he is so dominant and makes everyone look bad is a testament to him, not a knock on his opposition. Forrest Griffin is a former LHW champ, a top 10 LHW, how is that not a worthy opponent? I don’t recall anyone calling for an interim LW title considering B.J didn’t defend it for 15 months. If Silva wants to move up to 205 and make a run at that title, then yes he should decide now and not keep the title in limbo. But if he wants to stay at MW, then someone needs to take the belt from him. An elbow injury from the best P4P best fighter in the world is not reason enough to talk about this nonsense of an interim belt.
    And yes, the flying heel hook Chonan put on Silva will forever go down as one of the greatest moves in MMA history.

• Makington says:

The flying heel hook blew my mind, but the point was that since it didn’t happen in the UFC, to most fans it didn’t happen. Most people don’t know how he got just embarrassed by Tekasi (sp?) But I’m with Jstew on this one, he really has fought pure word class competition. I respect his record win streak much more than Jon Fitch’s and Royce Gracie’s, since those guys mostly fought nobodies. Silva fought every best middleweight out there, and you say he’s ducking competition? I thought Patrick Cote deserved his title shot, although I was a little confused why Thales got one. But other than those 2, he has fought the best of the best in the world. Fact is, he’s alredy beaten both Hendeson and Marquardt so I don’t see how he could be ducking them, and you can’t control injuries. waiting 6 months for him to defend his title really isn’t that out of the ordinary so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

On a less related note, Chonan’s heel hook was a thing of mastery. After I saw it I went and tried it with my brother like 87 times, and that move is harrrrrrd.

• xtreme_machine says:

“After I saw it I went and tried it with my brother like 87 times, and that move is harrrrrrd.”

Hey Makington, i did the same thing and i fell on my *ss every time.