NAAFS President Greg Kalikas responds to Sean Salmon controversy

Sean Salmon has recently fallen under a storm of controversy following a recently published article he penned for MMAJunkie.com. During the article Salmon goes on to describe how he threw a bout during a North American Allied Fight Series event held in June of this year. A portion of the transcript written by Salmon is below:

Now it’s June 3, and I am flying back to Columbus, Ohio, from Manchester, England, where I was training with Wolfslair helping some of the team’s fighters prepare for their upcoming bouts. The plan was to fly in on June 3, fight in Cleveland on the 6th and then fly back to England on the 7th.

I left England and was given a very serious warning: “If you get hurt in that fight, don’t bother coming back.” My opponent for the fight was 6-6, so obviously getting back to England to learn and train with some of the best was my priority.

Seeing how my opponent had just a 6-6 record, I figured I could easily bully him into rolling over for me, collect the easy win, and return to England. But it didn’t happen that way at all. Someone forgot to tell my opponent to roll over and quit.

I handled him very easily for the entire first round. He was able to land one very good elbow to my temple. I am embarrassed to admit that my first thought was that, “If he cut me and I can’t go back to England, this is not worth it.” How in the world could I be in a fight and think that if I got cut, it is not worth the win?

In the second round, I took him down again. He went for an armbar, I defended it (only to prove to myself that he couldn’t get it), and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England, healthy. Just so you all know, that is the most embarrassing thing that I have ever admitted out loud.

I recently had the opportunity to speak with NAAFS President/CEO Greg Kalikas regarding the controversy caused by a recent article penned by Sean Salmon. His official statement was as follows:

“Obviously, we are disturbed and offended by Sean Salmon’s comments. We’ve worked very hard over the past 5 years to establish our brand name as a premier organization and we CAN NOT condone these actions. We are exploring all of our avenues for recourse.”

For those who may not be aware the NAAFS is arguably the most prestigious amateur MMA organization in the U.S. They have diligently worked their way up the ladder to the point where they are now one of the most recognized pro MMA organizations as well.

• metalmulisha says:

I know shady business goes on all the time in MMA & Boxing, but to actually come out and admit something like this publicly is beyond stupid, and no good at all for the sport for a fighter to admit they threw a fight.

He should be suspended immediately from all MMA competition.

• fanoftna33 says:

My first thought on this(besides how stupid it is to throw a fight) is how does the cubs lair have the power to tell this guy if he gets hurt dont come back. What kind of f’n traing are they giving fighters there. At that rate Bisping should be looking for a new job because he embarresed the crap out of his gym by fighting like a girl. What kind of place tells there fighters dont come back if you get hurt in a sport where injuries happen more than any other sport around. That whole thing sounds like B.S. to me.

• submit662266 says:

What a class-less bafoon. Can we have one more round of Rashad’s foot for Mr. Salmon please?

• Makington says:

It makes you wonder how much of a meathead some people can be.

Does he honestly think anyone is going to read this and feel sorry for him or respect him or something? Like how fan said it, it just doesn’t add up. How could anyone be that horrendously stupid?

• xtreme_machine says:

what a disgrace to such a great sport

and what a stupid think to make public

what was this guy thinking man?

• edub says:

Well im at a loss for words..

All I can think of his he should be banned from professional mma in the U.S. No suspension. He should never recieve a license to fight in America again.

• metalmulisha says:

I just finished checking out his piece on MMA Junkie and to make things worse this moron has a fight scheduled at Ring of Combat who does put on a good event locally in New Jersey I’ve been to one of their events before, but after this revelation how can Nick Lembo and the athletic commission let this guy fight?

How can you be for sure the fight is legitimate knowing he’s just admitted to basically fixing a fight he let the other guy win?

I know it’s a entirely different debate, but what he did IMO is much worse than taking a performance enhancing drug.

• xtreme_machine says:

“…is much worse than taking a performance enhancing drug.”

yeah i agree at lest of you take roids it shows that you have the desire to compete and win

but this guys just cares about training and not winning fights

maybe he should quit fighting be a teacher but i dont think anyone would want to learn from a quitter

• Rich S. says:

No REAL fighter would throw a fight to keep a training spot at a popular gym. This is what separates a collegiate wrestler that dipped into MMA, from a FIGHTER. Maybe he has some desire to compete, but he doesn’t seem to care about his record, and he doesn’t seem to have a natural will to win..

There’s always another gym.. There’s always a BETTER gym.. And there’s always another place that will want you..

Don’t give some guy 6-6, inexperienced guy a win over you just so you can head back to your safe spot in the gym..

Which brings me back to fanoftna’s question – Why would they tell him he won’t have a spot there if he gets injured?

• cocoonofhorror says:

what a worthless asshole.

• mu_shin says:

Obviously a poor judgement on Salmon’s part, first to not compete up to his ability, and second to broadcast that fact.

For a guy whose most notable moment in MMA is to be the victim of a brutal knockout, and someone who was apparently fighting in a regional show in the minor leagues of MMA, this does not strike me as a shattering revelation. Really, who cares?

• xtreme_machine says:

^”Really, who cares?”

Who cares? how about the people that:

bet on this guy, the promoter, the MMA fans, and the guy that think he won the fight fair and square?

• Makington says:

Since he is such a nobody, it probably won’t be as big of a deal as it could have ended up being. But it is 100% unfair to everyone around him, and I’m sure they care. It’s also terrible coverage to put out there, especially when things like throwing fights (although for money, not a gym spot) were one of the largest problems with how boxing is heading downhill at breakneck speed.

• Man. I think Sean should have just kept his mouth shut about this one lol. Its one of those things you take to your grave. He will never hear the end of this.

• BigDave says:

Who the fuck is sean salmon anyway. Just a bum fighter with no chance of ever becomming a draw in a big organization. as for not wanting to be kicked out of the wolf lair, well I think he just did that by opening his fat mouth. Lets not dwell over this to much he obviously isn’t a real fighter because if he was he would never throw a fight ever. So see you later salmon.

Oh and when I see you in your new career, Yes, I’d like fries with that!

• Angry Mike says:

Is a 6-6 fighter representative of the Wolf’s Lair? If so, it’s not a ringing endorsement for the gym. Is the warning he got–come back healthy or not at all–unusual? If not, it’s yet another question about the Wolf’s Lair. Ahs a represesntative of the Wolf’s Lair commented, or been contacted for a comment? There are lots of interesting peripheral questions about this story.

• Frankmur says:

why are you guy’s buying this? Sean Salmon got caught,submitted and in his attempt to fabricate an excuse for his loss he has made an ass of himself!

• Bullylover says:

yeah sean salmon is a duuce for this one. To bad we can’t all take him back in time to that night that rashad went bruce lee on his ass