Matt Hughes inks new contract with the UFC

Matt HughesFormer UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes has recently resigned a multi-fight agreement with the organization.

Hughes made the news public recently in a blog on his official website, stating:

Last week I went out to Vegas and I signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC, which is much like my last contract. I also brought up the fact that I wanted to do a hunting show and they thought that would be a good thing. They still have to find out who, where and when my next fight will be and I will try to post that info ASAP. Nothing is decided yet, so anything you might be reading on the internet right now is just rumors and speculation. However, one name the UFC did bring up is a person I’ve never fought before.

With a career record of 43-7, Hughes recently bounced back from consecutive defeats in the Octagon by defeating Matt Serra via unanimous decision in a bout that was ruled to be “Fight of the Night” during UFC 98.

• xtreme_machine says:

I think he fights

Vs Johny Hendricks

both great wrestlers with good stand-up

• submit662266 says:

Matt is a legend and he has done some incredible things. However, I think he is done. The top 4-5 welterweights have developed their talent and they are very good at ALL major parts of the game. Matt’s stand-up is atrocious. He looked WAY WAY WAY over-matched by St. Pierre in their last 2 fights.

Again, I loved watching him 3-4 years ago, but the WW division is too deep for him to be a serious contender.

• Makington says:

I don’t think Hendricks is really enough of a name to fight him. Nothing against his skill, but if I’m Dana, I’m putting Hughes against someone else I can market and make a lot of money off of. Not many people will spend their dough to see Hughes toss around someone they don’t know.

Mostly every welterweight is tied up with a fight right now, and Hughes has earned a bit of a rest, but I think a fight with Jon Fitch or Carlos Condit would be a great fight for putting whoever wins in line for a title shot.

• Rich S. says:

It’s hard to believe that just a couple of years ago, Matt Hughes was the best Welterweight in the world and thought to be unbeatable..

Now, I’m having a hard time thinking of any top WW’s that he actually COULD beat..

It’s like, when he lost to GSP, he lost that dominant demeanor or something..

I’ll root for him every time, but I don’t see him beating any of the top 5 welterweights in the UFC..

But I suppose there are still some good matchups out there for him..

*cough* Hughes/Trigg 3 *cough*

• xtreme_machine says:

*cough* Hughes/Trigg 3 *cough*

it will work once he gets beat by Koscheck

• metalmulisha says:

Hughes can still beat a lot of fighters in the UFC.

People really jump the gun saying he can’t compete and needs to retire I mean come on the guy lost 3 fights to the two top 170lb. fighters in the world.
    Does that mean he can’t compete anymore and should retire? Thats just dumb.

Hughes vs Trigg again does interest me. I am always interested in seeing two guys who genuinely have a dislike for one another fight. Plus their first two fights were great.
    I also wouldn’t mind seeing a Hughes/Serra rematch or even Hughes vs Baroni honestly.
    Hughes vs Hallman 3…not so much.

• edub says:

I gotta see Hughes vs. Hallman 3. If Hallman would go 3-0 vs. Hughes i will pee my pants.

• TerribleT says:

Bad move IMO for Matt Hughes.His best days are far behind him and he has nothing to offer the UFC but to be a gatekeeper or a stepping stone.All he’s going to do is tarnish his legacy but it’s his legacy to tarnish as I’m sure he’ll say to anybody that questions his decision.

• xtreme_machine says:

Hey it is not just about being the champion.

Some guys need the money to secure a LIFE after fighting.

One never knows if they managed their MONEY correctly.

Also, they got FAMILIES that they need to feed and support.

• Wonder if Serra and Hughes will have another go at it?

• fanoftna33 says:

I still think Hughes lost the last fight he had, but it will be nice to see him fight a few more times. While he is not as good as he used to be(or it is that everybody else just learned his one trick) he can still have some big fights with guys. He is in kind of the same position Randy is in, where he probably wont be in the title picture ever again but can still be very competitive with some of the bottom half of the top 10 WW.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to see if he can finish a figt someday since his last finish was in 2006.

• Jstew3785 says:

Matt Hughes vs Paulo Thiago

• BigDave says:

Now I’m not now or ever been a Hughes fan but i will say at one time he was the best in the division but those days are long gone. he will not ever be in a main event type fight unless its a fight night free show but he could be that peverbial gate keeper for guy who are up and comming to make that next step to top level fighters. Guys are just to well rounded these days for matt who lets face it is a great wrestler but thats it. I would put him in the same boat as Chuck liddel still viable but not top level anymore.

I’d kinda like to see GSP pound on him again just for shits and giggles though!

• xtreme_machine says:

First Hughes, then Lidell and now Couture.

who’s next Rich Franklin,Tito,Forest?

The old Gen. is out and the new one has taken over.

HW – Lesnar
    LHW – Machida
    MW – Anderson
    WW – John Fitch (I don’t like the cheater)
    LW – Penn

• Bullylover says:

One never knows if they managed their MONEY corectly. Why did think of M>C> hammer when extreme machine said that.

• Bullylover says:

seriuosly though a few interesitng matchups for hughes would be thiago,davis,burns,koscheick and finally the Karo parisyan fights. I always did wonder who would win in a bout between him and Diego.

• JBAR says:

I have wished for years that Hughes would put some time in and develop his striking game. I really think he wants a big KO to finish his career so maybe he will put some time in with a top notch striking coach but it is probably to little to late.