Sherk out, Josh Neer in to face Gleison Tibau at UFC 104

Josh NeerIt’s been reported that Josh Neer will be replacing Sean Sherk in a lightweight bout against Gleison Tibau at UFC 104 on October 24 from Los Angeles.

Sherk suffered a shoulder injury while training that will keep him out of action for a few weeks according to a recent report by Sherdog.com. Sherk was looking to get back into the win column after a unanimous decision loss to Frankie Edgar, back at UFC 98.

In “The Muscle Shark’s” place steps Josh Neer, who is coming off a unanimous decision loss himself at the hands of Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 101. The tough decision loss to Pellegrino brought Neer back to 2-2 in the Octagon in his third go-around with the organization.

Gleison Tibau is also coming off a loss, when he dropped a split decision to Melvin Guillard at the Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, back in June.

UFC 104 is set to air live on pay-per-view from the Staples Center and will be headlined by a title bout between Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship.

• submit662266 says:

War Neer pulling out the W and Machida establishing his dominance!!!

• Neer always puts on a shot. Honestly, id rather see him fight than Sherk.

• fraz says:

I’m sure Sherk will find the right “medicine” to help him quickly recover from his injury.

• Makington says:

Neer always brings a great fight to his opponents, and they’re both in a must win situation IMO, but I believe Gleison will pull and upset and muscle Neer around for 3 rounds and win with a somewhat boring decision.

• Batman says:

I have to give some negativity here I don’t like Neer. Sean Sherk was a better fight. Easy win for Tibau in my opinion.

• adamsfamily says:

Didnt sherk say he would never fight in California again? Is he unsure of the CSAC?

• fanoftna33 says:

This fight would have been three rounds for sure with Sherk, and now with Neer, who I really like to watch it will still be UD. Neer is a very tough well rounded fighter so I will go with him here.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am kind of glad to see somebody besides Sherk, who has only had 2 winning fights in the ufc not by decision, 1 was against Tiki who dislocated his shoulder and 1 against Benji Radich was stopped on a cut. You would think a elite fighter would finish somebody.

• Makington says:

That’s the same problem with 80% of the lightweights. A lot of them just don’t have that one shot power in their hands, but Sherk always has an exciting fight. Same thing with Tyson Griffin and Jim Miller. Both usually always go to decision, but never have a boring fight, like Josh Neer most of the time. Some fighters like Jeremy Stephens, BJ Penn, or Diego Sanchez have a bit of pep to their punch and have had highlight KO’s, but lightweights usually just go to decision.

Atleast they don’t give boring decision after boring decision like Jon Fitch or Yushin Okami.

• xtreme_machine says:

man was looking forward for the other fight

those two guys are huge for 155

i miss that Muscle Shark (Man that is a bad*ss nickname)

• edub says:

These are the two biggest guys in the lw division IMO.(Tibau everyone knows is huge and if you ever been face to face with Neer you know hes a huge 55er too).
    I think Neer is a little bit worse in the jiujitsu aspect but I think his advantage in wrestling will nullify that. I see this fight going down hill in the end of the first round for Tibau. Neer by tko in round 2.

• metalmulisha says:

This card is shaping up to be the worst UFC card since 89. Aside from the main event there isn’t really a fight that I am looking forward to see.

Ben Rothwell went from being buried on the undercard to being in the co main event.

• GetItOn says:

I see this going the same way as the Batman fight. Neer will be taken down at will and even if he is able to get top position and pass guard, he won’t be strong enough to do anything to Tibau.

• Bullylover says:

Wasn’t tibau a wrestler before he started BJJ. I give the wrestling and Jits advantage to Tibau along with the strength advantage. I give the standup advantage to Neer. I see this fight being very boring if Tibau takes neer down at will. 3 rounds of lay and pray. Hopefully neer can stop the takedowns and keep this fight exciting.