Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni set for UFC 106

amirsadollahUFC 106 just keeps getting better and better with the recent addition of a welterweight bout between Amir Sadollah and Phil Baroni.

The news of the bout was recently verified by Inside Fights through sources close to both camps.

UFC 106 is scheduled for November 21 from Las Vegas.

Sadollah, the 170 pound winner of the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, had been force to withdraw from couple of previous match-ups in the UFC due to injuries, before most recently being TKO’d in the first round by Johny Hendricks during UFC 101.

Baroni sports a career record of 13-11, with a UFC record of 3-5. He recently put together three consecutive wins in smaller promotions before being defeated via decision by Joe Riggs in his last trip to the cage at Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields in June.

While nothing has been announced by the UFC at this time, below is a full list of the bouts expected to take place at the event:

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin

Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida

Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch

Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan

Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni

• hindsightufuk says:

brilliant! love it

• fanoftna33 says:

Sadollah won the 185lb tuf didnt he? Anyway it should be a good fight, Amir needs to get through round 1, which isnt easy with Baroni, but if you get through rd 1 then he usually gasses out.

• thunder okami says:

sadollah by armbar in round 2 or 3

• Batman says:

I love baroni’s fights and now he is in a lighter weight class he looks good at that weight. i actually wanted Baroni to beat Riggs. I like Riggs and I wasn’t happy when he lost to misaki.

• shotokai_ says:

Aw man I want Baroni to pummel his head, bounce it off that cage. A la versus Dave Menne circa 2002.
    Unfortunately that won’t happen because he’ll gas in the second. Sadollah by TKO/Sub Rd 3.

• Rich S. says:

Well, I didn’t see this coming..

This goes two ways, and two ways only..

Baroni via Knockout r1

or

Sadollah via Submission r2 or 3.. maybe even r1..

After seeing Sadollah get destroyed in 20 seconds, I’m not sure why they would put him in with a notorious knockout artist, but, maybe it’s because he’s also notorious for not having the best ground game..

• moosebaby02 says:

what happens to sadollah if he gets beat???

• edub says:

Rich would you really call it destroyed?? It just looked like he got caught and was dazed for a few seconds. I try not to discount the victory for Hendrix but I just feel it was stopped way too soon.

• Angry Mike says:

Sadollah by tko (Baroni heart attack) late in the third round.

• Rich S. says:

Actually, edub, I DON’T feel he was destroyed.. In fact I think it may have been stopped just a bit too early, although he did look hurt..

I don’t really know why I wrote “destroyed”.. Maybe to put emphasis on the fact that he lost in 30 seconds..

• edub says:

Ah got ya. Good point.

Oh yea. Sadollah TKO rd 2

• edub says:

Anyone have any idea when Matt Brown is fighting again.

• Rich S. says:

Last I heard, a fight between Brown and James Wilks was in the works for UFC 105..

• edub says:

Ah got ya dont really understand it coming off the destruction of Pete Sell.(I think he should get a higher profile opponent, maybe someone like Paolo Thiago)

• edub says:

But Thiago is fighting Alves so thats not a possiblity. Im ranting here.

• Bullylover says:

they should of given Matt brown /Baroni and sadollah to wilks. Those matchups make more sense to me and are stylistically better. Well to me it sounds better.But seriously i see amir getting hurt in this one. He is definately going to have to wether baronis storm.

• submit662266 says:

Baroni rd 1 knockout. Amir and Mac Danzig are similar. They have technical skills, but totally lack that certain something that lets a man want inflict bodily harm upon his fellows. The top fighters have this. Amir is nice guy with talent, but Baroni is going to try pound his skull with ferocity.

• Gotta go with Amir in this one. Baroni has been losing left and right. I could see Amir pulling off the upset here.

• Makington says:

Sadollah vs. Wilks would have been a bad idea. The UFC spends so much time marketing their TUF winners that it would be silly to put themselves in a situation where one of them MUST lose. I think Amir’s biggest problem right now is his experience moreso than his skill levels. He is a very talented fighter with great heart, but he lacks the experience hanging with tough competition, and I think it’s really affecting his confidence.

Once he gets the right mind set down and can handle all the pressures I think he will really start coming together as a fighter.

• BigDave says:

Baroni is a Gabroni. He is 13-11 career a journeymen with a big mouth and sodallah is unproven I’m skipping this fight and hope the ufc can set up another fight so that this is on the undercard where it belongs.

• metalmulisha says:

Looking at the line up I’d be willing to bet that this fight will be on the undercard, and hopefully buried on the undercard.

• If this fight ends up on the PPV card and I miss Hazelett/Karo or Almeida/Fitch, I will lose my mind.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i got Sadollah rd. 1 sub.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Thiago is fighting Alves? HTF is that gonna work? LOL.

• Makington says:

Lol, Paulo Thiago is fighting Thiago Alves cocoon.

• xtreme_machine says:

good fight Joe.

keep them coming

• TerribleT says:

What the hell did Baroni do to be offered a fight in the UFC anyway? Everybody knows they’re just bringing him in to get his ass beat by their TUF winner so Amir can get a win.I hope Baroni throws them a curve and knocks Amir out for the UFC disrespecting him !

• edub says:

“If this fight ends up on the PPV card and I miss Hazelett/Karo or Almeida/Fitch, I will lose my mind.”

You gotta admit Sergio that eventhough the Almeida/Fitch is a matchup between two best of the best mmartists, it has the potential to be one of the most boring fights ever in the UFC. They both are very very conservative fighters. I hope its fast paced but I really dont see it being a barnburner.

• Bullylover says:

yeah almeida vs fitch sounds like it might get the “boring fight of the night” award to me.

• cocoonofhorror says:

LOL, OK… so many Thiago’s these days i cant keep em all straight…

• JBAR says:

I like Amir but I am just not sold on him yet. He also seems to have trouble getting through a training camp without being injured so I am not going to hold my breath that he will even make the fight with Baroni.