Frank Mir: ‘[Joe] Rogan’s making excuses for certain fighters’

frank_mirAt a Maxim UFC 102 after-party, former heavyweight champion Frank Mir had some choice words on quite a few current event topics.

In an interview with Raw Vegas TV, he ranted on everything from Fedor Emelianenko’s decision not to accept the UFC’s contract offer, to play by play analyst, Joe Rogan.

He stated he was angered by Joe Rogans comments during and after the Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira fight, when Rogan suggested Nogueira’s loss to Mir was the result of a staph infection. Mir stated, “Rogan’s making excuses for certain fighters, for why they performed badly. … Every fighter has reasons we don’t perform at 100%. As fans, we don’t want to hear heroes and warriors complain that they almost died of staph. I think that’s pretty sad and pathetic.”

He then continued with the possibility of a rubber match between him and current champion Brock Lesnar, “We’re 1-1 against each other. He had a lack of experience his first fight in the UFC, and I was able to capitalize on that. He was smarter than me. He made up a lot of ground on technique and while he’s not more technical than I am, he was able to learn enough technique to take advantage of his athletic ability. He made much better improvements than I did. He beat me fair and square. … The next time we fight each other I can also improve upon why I lost last time.”

To top off the bold comments, the always confident Mir talked about Fedor signing with Strikeforce instead of the UFC, “His management team, I think, is the reason he can’t do what he wants to do. I think everybody, every morning should wake up with something to prove. The minute you think you don’t think you have something to prove, retire, go home and disappear.”

• Angry Mike says:

I can understand why Mir was annoyed with the repeated remarks about how ‘Nog wasn’t 100% in their fight. Intentional or not, those remarks diminish the quality of Mir’s win. It’s like saying he didn’t deserve to win, or that it was a cheap win. But as far as a rematch with Lesnar is concerned, I don’t think there would be much point. He just doesn’t have the necessary size or strength.

• fraz says:

Mir is a bit of a dick but I don’t mind the things he said too much this time. He’s keeping his name out there and this adds some good fuel to the fire for a Silva-Mir fight or for a Mir-Nog or Mir-Brock rematch at some point.

• cocoonofhorror says:

whats sad and pathetic is the fact that Murrr doesnt realize he beat a near comatose Nog. he thinks his win over Nog means something that it doesnt, that he is good. face it Murrrr, you are garbage and the only wins you have recently were a horseshoe up the ass inspired lucky sub on a n00b in his 2nd fight, and beating a half conscious fighter back to consciousness. maybe they should set up a match with Pa de Pano or Vera to shut him the fuck up.

• Rich S. says:

I like Mir.

I think he’s a great fighter and commentator, and he’s extremely intelligent..

But, he’s very opinionated, so he comes off sounding like an asshole sometimes..

• Djangoplata says:

Frank Mir says if he knew he wasn’t 100% he wouldn’t accept a fight, what about those fights he took with Vera and Cruz etc, in terrible shape, got his ass kicked and then said he came back too early, after subbing Hardonk, “now we will see the real Frank Mir” using his accident as an excuse. When in reality it was more his allergy to getting off his ass and putting in hard work in the gym and on the mats.

What’s sad and pathetic is that Frank Mir thinks he is the only one entitled to make excuses for a poor performance/s, thinks he has some say over who has the right to compete in MMA and has his head so far up his own ass he can’t see his own hypocrisy.

All credit to the guy from coming back from such a horrific injury, same as Nog deserves credit for not pulling out on short notice of a title defence on a huge card and fighting while clearly nowhere near 100%. He never whined and disputed the outcome, all he has said is that he suffered from a bad staph infection and tore his meniscus, any half intelligent mma fan could tell that wasn’t Nog at his best in the cage with Mir. Mir is just insecure because deep down he knows the only meaningful win in his career was over a sick man who had no place fighting that night. Used to be a Mir fan, last few years he’s made it impossible to like the guy, went from being glad he subbed Brock to being even gladder he got the dozen plus firm smacks in the mouth he’s ego needs. Hope Kongo scores a highlight reel head kick KO and shuts him up for good.

• mu_shin says:

If Mir went into a fight against Cheick Kongo with a valid strategic plan, taking advantage of his superior ground skills, Kongo wouldn’t have half a chance. If Mir goes into a fight with Kongo and tries to slug with a slugger because he thinks he’s a ballistic striker, he’ll get what he deserves…

Mir actually makes a valid point: Brock made more progress after the first first than Mir did, and used his gains in technique to best Mir in the second fight. To imagine a static state, that a fighter exists on one level of talent and experience and cannot learn, unable to augment his skills over time, is simply not how this sport works. Machida is a prime expample, as he has improved over time to earn the light heavyweight title.

Personally, I’m a lot more interested in what happens in the ring/cage than I am in who said what about who, who commented on what commentator, and what someone imagines that they have to prove. Prove it to me in the ring…

• thunder okami says:

how about just a effing rematch

• Makington says:

I understand why he feels kind of screwed over by Rogan. If I put in a crap load of work and beat a guy like Nog, I would feel like an ass for everyone to be saying how cheap my win was. Angry Mike said it as good as anyone can, it just made his win seem like a cheap win, when it was fair and square. Nogueira talks about in a more positive light. He admits that he wasn’t in anywhere near great condition for the fight, but he doesn’t blame it, and he was also very respectful towards Frank’s performance. The way Joe was talking about their fight, he made it seem like it was obvious Frank shouldn’t have won, and the only reason was because of Nog being very sick. While that may very well be true, I would still be annoyed if I were Frank because of how bluntly Joe put it that his win was basically a fluke.

I don’t really like the guy, but I can see where he is coming from. Personally I do think that Nog would have been able to take Mir’s punches had he been feeling alright, but Mir still put out a strong performance.

• submit662266 says:

Mir sees the world through Mir colored glasses. But the fact of the matter is that Nog was sick. It sounds like this infection happened during the criitical weeks of his training. This undoubtedly effected the outcome of that fight. I don’t think Mir considered all of this before speaking. Joe Rogan didn’t mean anything against Mir, but Mir took it that way.
    Most fighters don’t talk about illness/injury being a factor in a fight out of respect to an opponent, but it probably happens all the time. No one is talking about it, but i really think that happened to Forrest against Anderson Silva. He took much more punishment from Rampage, and survived. Forrest probably won’t say anything, but I think he had something wrong during the Silva fight.

• xtreme_machine says:

beat Kongo and we will see if it is true or not

because as of now i am with Joe on this one

• Angry Mike says:

No love for Mir tonight. But if he had beaten Lesnar, I’ll bet everybody would have a quivering man crush for him.

• Damn Mir is starting to get to me. I used to like him much more before he started running his mouth so much. If he had beat Brock I would give him a pass, but since he got worked he really needs to keep his mouth shut.

• Batman says:

Joe Rogan was probably high when he said that about Frank Mir. Frank won fair and square and Nogueira is making an excuse what a poor sport loser. Mir took his beating from Lesnar like a man. I want to see Mir and couture fight each other. Come on Dana or Joe, make it happen.

• BigDave says:

Frank Mir is a cock smoker plain and simple. when they said nog wasn’t 100% it wasn’t a knock on mir it was just a fact. Mir likers to write checks his butt cant cash and it is gonna lead to him getting his ass kicked by lesnar again or a in shape nog or quite frankly i could see kongo knocking his ass out. Mir just needs to be destroyed and forgotten.

• shotokai_ says:

“Rich S. says:

I like Mir.

I think he’s a great fighter and commentator, and he’s extremely intelligent..”

Extremely intelligent? Come on. He’s a reasonably intellectual guy that can articulate himself well. He’s not at any kind of “extreme” of intelligence. It does frustrate me that, in a sport stereotypically full of brain dead bar fighters, any fighter that can string a few words together, and uses this to voice his opinions, is regarded as having some sort of untouchable intelligence. Mir’s pre-fights are rehearsed to f*ck and back and so don’t be so astounded when he uses words you haven’t heard of and/or sounds like a genius orator. I don’t think he even has any academic qualifications.

“Every fighter has reasons we don’t perform at 100%. As fans, we don’t want to hear heroes and warriors complain that they almost died of staph. I think that’s pretty sad and pathetic.”

And, in fairness to Mir, his motorcycle accident and his subsequent laziness/awful defeats have never, ever been brought up in the same sentence together. Oh, wait…

• theinfamousjmo says:

The record’s going to show forever that Mir has a win over Nogueira. There’s no asterisk anywhere saying “Nogueira was hurt, he shouldn’t have taken that fight, blah blah blah”

Maybe Mir beating Nog was a fluke, but at the end of the day, Mir beat Nog. Plain and simple. Does that mean Mir’s had a better career than Nog? Not necessarily. But he got the W when he needed it.

And I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with his final paragraph. That’s the crucial thing Finkelstein seemed to overlook—the fact that if he really wanted to prove Fedor was the best (and being a good manager includes thinking your client is the best), the place to do it is the UFC.

• danisocean says:

Im with Joe on this one- Mir is right about Fedor- and if I where Mir Id stop asking for fight against Brock- its embarrassing

• hindsightufuk says:

Frank should remember that commentators often do/say things that can be deemed offensive and make them look like cunts. Like constantly saying someone got their bjj black belt from Saulo Ribeiro, or completely refusing to acknowledge another fighter is in the cage (Benavidez, Mizugaki) because they are too busy singing the praises of the other fighter, or trying to sponge bath one of the fighters.
    I’m sure Pedro Sauer, Joseph Benavidez and Takeya Mizugaki, were pretty angered by Frank Mirs comments, and most likely think he is a sad, pathetic cunt

• jj says:

I used to really like Frank Mir. I was cheering for him every time I saw him come out after his accident.

Then I saw some of last seasons Ultimate Fighter. I can’t STAND the guy now, the guy doesn’t know the meaning of humble.

Anyone who saw Mir vs. Nogueira KNOWS that something was wrong with Nog and that he had never looked worse. Even Mir admitted after the fight he thought he had no chance of winning. You know Mir, Rogan has made just as many excuses for your suckage until you actually won a fight after your accident. I hope there is a Brock vs Mir III, because I’d love to see Mir get his face smashed in–again, or even a Mir vs. Nog again. Mir is someone who I only want to see lose for the rest of his career, because of his arrogant attitude. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Didn’t Mir make excuses about his first few performances after recovering from that motorcycle accident he was in? You know, the ones where Brandon Vera and Marcio Cruz beat the shit out of him?

• shotokai_ says:

Amen Brendhan

• slayer6 says:

has anyone ever heard Mir commentate a Torres fight in the WEC? Mir sucks his nuts the whole damn fight. the worst case i listened to was when Torres fought that Jap that took him 5 rounds. that Jap had just cut Torres, and looked to be doing some real damage. but all Mir could talk about was how well Torres was doing this or that. maybe that pissed that Jap off? hes a hypocrite, and everybody knows that a 100% Nog would NOT have went down like that. period. Dana..set up the rematch.

• edub says:

Funny thing is I agree with Mir. Joe Rogan obviously does it for certain fighters that he likes. However, Frank does the exact same thing to almost a higher extent. As was pointed too by a few other posters Rogan did it for him when he was fat and outta shape. He even did it for himself(“Now I can train correctly, now you’ll see the real Fran Mir”.)

Frank is a great mmartist, but he is a hypocrite. He shows little to no humility and he thinks he is a lot smarter than he really is.

• moosebaby02 says:

there is only one way to settle this……put Nog vs Mir 2 together and lets us all watch Mir get his ass kick then. Thats if he can get pass Kongo.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Mir vs Nog 2 is way more interesting with a healthy Nog, and a fairly even fight. I picked Nog for the first one, but if they fight again I might go with Mir.

• moosebaby02 says:

no way fan i have Nog kicking the shit out of him this time

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Nog much more than Mir but this fight to me is a toss up, since Mir already won I think he would have the advantage coming in to it. I understand that didnt work out so well vs Lessner, but Brock is getting better by the day, Nog will probably fight like he usually does and that will make for a much better fight for Mir.

• Persian_Prince says:

Hey Mir, its not really 1-1, maybe on paper. The fact is Brock was destroying you badly the very first time, but you got an early christmas present from referee and the rest is history. The second time you got whooped even more badly, looking like the marshmallow man from excessive beating after only a few minutes. Nobody wants to see you get beaten up by Brock anymore, its just not interesting, you are no match for him, he is way bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than you are. Nothing worse than a guy who runs his mouth but can’t back it up!

• Angry Mike says:

Mir’s hands looked great in the fight with ‘Nog. I don’t care how ‘Nog was feeling, he wasn’t expecting Mir to be that sharp, and nobody else did, either. Mir landed the lead uppercut at will. In contrast, Couture’s striking wasn’t as sharp as Mir’s, and Couture’s clinch with ‘Nog was pretty ineffective. Maybe ‘Nog was feeling better when he fought Couture, but Couture was a better match up for him, too.

• edub says:

I think I would still on Nog in a rematch(If I still gambled).

Funny thing is I would pick Urijah in the third match with Mike Brown also. (I picked Brown to win the first two fights.)

• neijia says:

I am a huge fan of Mir because he shows he can come back and keep improving and he is absolutely one of the most articulate and smart commentators anywhere – fighters, journalists, bloggers, blog commenters, etc. His analysis of fights and fighters is almost always 100% spot on. Can’t say the same for Rogan. I know Rogan was trying to play up to Nog but give me a break. Mir would certainly beat Nog again. He would lose again to Lesnar but what the heck. Probably a fight worth watching.

• BigDave says:

A healthy nog destroys frank in the first round and thats a fact but we won’t have to worry about that because Mir is about to get knocked out by Kongo and he will be religated to undercards from them on. Disapeer Mir!

• hindsightufuk says:

neijia says: His analysis of fights and fighters is almost always 100% spot on.

i just find his constant favoritism towards certain fighters pretty disgusting. That Torres Mizugaki fight is the worst, 25 minutes and not once did he have anything good to say about Mizugakis skills. and then running into the cage to bed bath Torres is just crazy. The Curran Benevidez fight was the same, refused to acknowledge Joseph at all, and then constantly calling Pedro Sauer Saulo Ribeiro shows a complete lack of respect or knowledge, one or the other. Especially as he apologized to Pedro at the begining of one event then later the same event called him Saulo Ribeiro again. To me thats as disrespectful as you can get

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“I think everybody, every morning should wake up with something to prove. The minute you think you don’t think you have something to prove, retire, go home and disappear.”
    You idiot Mir. He has been proving it against Sylvia (top 10 2x UFC champion)and Arlovski (top 10 UFC champion), was going to prove it against Barnett(top 10 UFC champion), is now going to prove it against Rogers, Werdum(top 10) and Overeem(top 10) etc. What a dumb thing to say. Why don’t you fight Barnett, Monson, Werdum, Overeem, Kharitonov, Rogers, Aleks, Arlovski and Fedor Mir? Maybe you should just stay in the UFC, where according to you no one has anything to prove even though at least half of the true top 10 is (Couture 5-6 at HW over the last 10 years, Valasquez 1 win over a top 20 fighter and Carwin 1 win over a top 20 fighter, should not be considered top 10 yet), or just retire…your idiotic opinions.

• Overeem is not top 10. Werdum is borderline top 10.

And how is Rogers that much different than Carwin or Velasquez according to your logic? Rogers win over Arlovski is more impressive than beating Gonzaga or Kongo but those are the only legit fighters each fighter has beaten.

• metalmulisha says:

Overeem has been in the top 10 for awhile, but sherdog just dropped him from their top 10 rankings because of inactivity.

The whole rankings system is a joke anyway. There’s no way in hell Randy Couture is still a top 10 heavyweight, but yet he’s in every major websites top 10.

And the rankings that have Frank Mir at 3 or 4 is an absolute crime. That guy isn’t even a top 10 heavyweight regardless of what he or Joe Silva wants you to believe.

• Randy beat Sylvia and Gonzaga during a time when they both ranked Top 10. Since then he’s only lost to Lesnar and Nog. His loss to Lesnar should have definitely dropped him into the bottom half to the Top 10 but his loss to Nog affects Randy’s ranking very little.

Mir TKOed the #2-3 HW. He deserves to be in the Top 10.

Overeem, like Lawler, have done next to nothing short of winning three or four fights in a row to get their Top 10 ranking. Hunt? Goodridge? Buentello? Not exactly a murderer’s row there.

• cocoonofhorror says:

no chance Murr is top 10.

• metalmulisha says:

I go by what I see now from Couture not what he did to Gonzaga in 2007. Which at his age is like a lifetime ago he is a totally different fighter. He looks very different physically from when he came back and beat Sylvia and Gonzaga he’s lost a lot of muscle and looks old honestly.

I mean the guy was floored twice by Nogueira (who’s not exactly in his prime either) and Nogueira has never been known as a guy with one punch power. Plus he lost every round to Nogueira, and was really never in that fight. Even at the end of round three when he had dominant position Nogueira reversed him and was about to beat on him some more until the bell sounded.

If Randy can’t take punches from Nogueira he would get blown away by Overeem.

• Then Overeem shouldn’t. Rogers shouldn’t.

Barnett shouldn’t.

• “As far as Overeem goes. If you don’t think he’s top 10 material, but Couture is what do you think would happen if they fought now both at 100% healthy?”

I rank fighters by their accomplishments, not What If? scenerios.

• metalmulisha says:

Accomplishments are impressive when evaluating someones career but rankings IMO should be based on how good fighters are now in the present and where they stand.

And right now Randy is not top 10 material.

• How do you determine how good a fighter is without looking at what they’ve done?

We don’t really know how “good” Overeem is because he’s done jackshit at HW. While Randy easily lost all 3 rounds, he did go 15 minutes with a perennial Top 5 HW in Big Nog.

• edub says:

U guys got a good discussion going on. I always thought the key to ranking should be based on your list of accomplishments and your talent level. Like Overeem holds one win over a top ten Kharitonov in 2006(I believe) and three straight wins over journey men, but I had him in my top ten until his recent shunning of Strikeforce for K1. Also his Physique and the lack of testing in Japan leaves a very big question mark on his head.(Like Mulisha made a decent point in who would be the favorite in a fight with him and Couture, but the fact is would Overeem even be able to pass the prefight drug screen to get his license.)

As for Nog, Mir, and Couture I think they are all still in the top ten. I got Mir#3, Nog#4, and Randy#8.

• xtreme_machine says:

the only true guys he has beaten are:

Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (Nog has hurt and should not have taken this fight)
    Tim Silvia (it’s Tim do i need to say more)
    Brock Lesnar (He was to green and made a simple mistake)

he can talk but he is a product of the UFC hype machine.

• TerribleT says:

Beating Nogueira was the biggest win of his career and it was also a stand up highlight reel and Mir’s known as a submission fighter. So he must have been elated to have put Nogueira away with his fists and to have Rogan shit on his finest accomplishment by making excuses for Nogueira is bullshit and Mir has every right to be upset and fire back.

• edub says:

“Tim Silvia (it’s Tim do i need to say more)”

When he defeated Sylvia in that fight Tim was probably the #3 ranked HW in the world. He had just come back from the steroid suspension and was a hell of a world beater. I give Frank all the respect in the world for pulling off that sub because it proved he has probably the most powerful submissions in the world. Tim was almost out and frank just kept it on even though his hips were past the elbow and snapped his freakin forearm. That was pretty damn impressive.