Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Welcomes Title Opportunity

Antonio Rodrigo NogueiraAfter coming off the most impressive victory of his UFC career to date, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has his sights set on a title shot against heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Prior to Saturday, Nogueira was coming off an embarrassing loss to Frank Mir at UFC 92, and many were considering the former UFC and Pride champion well past his prime.

It seems the 33 year old Brazilian has silenced his critics and put himself right back into title contention with an electrifying decision win over Hall of Famer, Randy Couture. In a bout that critics are already nominating as Fight of the Year, Nogueira proved he stills belongs in the top heavyweight pound-for pound rankings.

The veteran submission specialist recently spoke about which future opponents he would like to face, recently stating in a conversation with MMAWeekly.com, “I like big fights like that. I’ll be ready if they gave me a good opponent. It would be my pleasure, but if they gave me a title shot, it would be awesome.”

Asked how he would match up against current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Big Nog continued,“I have more experience than him (Lesnar). That’s a big advantage I have. A lot of jiu-jitsu and good standing up, make him tired man, move around, move around. When I get his timing, hit him with a good right hand and box him, box him and get him tired. I’ve been in there a long time. I can see what’s going on. If he goes on the top into my guard, I can play with him. Let’s see, let’s see what is going to happen.”

It remains to be seen what the UFC has planned for the newly rejuvenated Nogueira, but if Saturdays win was any indication of what’s in store for the future, it only takes one fight to wake a sleeping giant.

• BigDave says:

Nog will preobably get the next shot at lesnar after he beats carwin but I still think velasquez Is the guy who deserves the shot but thats just my opinion. Let nog fight dos antos then if he wins there he can fight cain for the #1 contender. let Brock beat carwin then give him a sacrifical lamb in the mean time,maybe crocop or mir or randy again.lesnar vs velasquez is the only title fight that would excite me at this point.

• xtreme_machine says:

Nog vs Velasquez (if he wins)

and if Velasquez looses then

Nos vs winner of (Cro Cop / Dos Santos)

• Djangoplata says:

^ I doubt very much Nog and Dos Santos will fight as they train together with Team Nogueira and Junior regards Nog as like a father figure. Well unless they both clear out the division and are champ/top contender. Even then Dana will have to swear a lot to get that fight signed.

Velasquez is scheduled to fight Rothwell at 104 and I don’t see him doing too well in that fight. Velasquez struggled with Kongo, all of his other wins have been cut from the UFC and were pretty much gimme’s, wins over Jake O’Brien, Brad Morris, Denis Stojnic and out wrestling Kongo doesn’t really warrant a title shot.

Brock at least as 3 quality wins, Carwin has one quality win + much better resume than Cain. Carwin has shown more versatility in his career and ability to brutally finish with one shot. I doubt Cain has much of a chance with Nog, Brock or Carwin. Rothwell will out experience, finish him and put him out of contention and onto the undercards for awhile. Cain needs more time to develop, anyway I highly doubt he will ever hold the title unless the UFC division goes back to Tim and Arlovski.

I thought Nog would be calling for a rematch with Frank Mir first before calling out Brock. Give Nog a rematch vs Mir to right that wrong/for the title shot @ UFC 105/106. I doubt Mir wants to fight a healthy and focused Nog though.

• moosebaby02 says:

If Cain struggled with a gate keeper like Kongo (and I love Kongo) then he doesn’t deserves a title shot just yet. Lets see if he can beat Rothwell first which I think he wont. Then you can talk getting into the title picture. The only quality win Brock ever had imo was the one with Randy. Hearring head is not into fighting right now but he did go the distance with him but all Brock did was use his size speed and strength to out wrestle a guy who he easily out weighed and held them on the ground. The same thing with Mir which is not hard to do when your Brocks size. Carwin has been in more fights and has been doing this MMA thing allot longer then Brock. Cant wait to see after Nov 21st who will have the belt then. I say Nog vs Mir 2 for the #1 contender and winner then takes on Carwin…I mean who ever wins between Brock vs Carwin for the belt

• BigDave says:

I must be living in an alternate reality. Cain most certainly deserves a title shot if Carwin does. Yes, Carwin has five more fights but he has also fought 5 guys with losing records where Cain has not fought anyone with a losing record to me knowledge. As for struggling against Kongo what fight where you watching. Ok, Kongo hit him twice with solid strikes that tested Cain’s chin but both led to a takedown where Cain absolutely dominated.

I love it on here when people try to say someone I predict to win a championship wont do it I’ve proved people wrong twice so far with my prediction of Machida and GSP. Cain is the next big thing in MMA and I can’t see anyone at HW beating him anytime soon. As for Rothwell he doesnt stand a prayer of winning this fight. Cain is pissed that he didnt stop Kongo in his last fight so he is gonna make an example of rothwell that he is the true top contender for the belt, and if he has to destroy nog or dos antos or couture or anyone else before he gets his rightful shot so be it.

Oh if you haven’t noticed I kinda back Cain just a little bit 😉

• fanoftna33 says:

I would much rather see Nog vs the winner of Lessner vs Carwin next, but I really cant complain if Cain gets that shot( if he beats Rothwell). I think Nog has a much better chance at either of thoes guys but it is really hard to complain about the ufc giving a undefeated fighter a shot.

• edub says:

Here is my opinion of worthyness for a title shot.

1. Nog if he wins his next fight.( A win over couture goes a long way in my book)
    2. Cain if he beats Rothwell.( Undefeated with a lot of potential)
    3. Dos Antos if he demolishes CroCop.( He would have 3 KOs in the UFC with wins over a legends a perennial top ten guy.)

• Jstew3785 says:

Stefan Struve has more than earned his title shot.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to see Cain face the winner of Mir vs Kongo if Gonzaga is not available. It seems like right now we are getting so many good heavyweight match ups, it is becoming like the LW division.

• JBAR says:

The problem with the HW division is that there are still not enough top quality quys to get excited about seeing fight Brock. If you start matching them up in #1 contender matchups then you start reducing the available fights that could be marketed. Everyone is excited about seeing Cain fight Brock right now but if he loses to Rothwell not so much. Same thing with Nog vs Mir if Nog loses again Nog vs Brock doesn’t look so good and Mir would still need another good win to start thinking about a rematch.

• Bullylover says:

Lets not forget that in another year-year 1/2 we may have a title contender in the form of Mike Duffe(i know we still have to see him face top competition).what is with all the hate for Cain. i’m with you big dave and i believe that cain is the next big thing in the HW division. As for everybody believing that Rothweill is going to beat up cain did you not see his fight against roy nelson. He lost that fight clearly. Plus kongo is a much better technical striker than rothweill and cain’s wrestling is much better than rothwells whole ground game.

• Jstew3785 says:

Who is Mike Duffee?

• Batman says:

Give him the winner of Lesnar/Carwin plain and simple.

• Bullylover says:

my bad i meany todd duffee the man with the fastest knockout in ufc history(7 seconds) since last weekends event.

• TerribleT says:

Why does everybody keep asking who Lesner’s defending his Heavyweight Championship against after Carwin? Let me tell you a little secret……… Lesnar won’t be defending his title after that fight because he’s not going to be the champion anymore,Carwin is!!!!!!!!