Randy Couture will finish career in the Octagon, signs six-fight deal with UFC

MISC MMA Chez CoutureThe storied career of legendary fighter Randy Couture, will end where it began, in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, just not anytime soon.

It was confirmed at the post fight press conference, that Randy Couture has signed a new six-fight, 28 month contract, which replaces his existing contract. After an eleven month absence from the cage, Couture signed a three fight deal back in September 2008. This new contract appears to serve as a deal to keep the five-time champion in the UFC until retirement.

Although details were not discussed, Matt Walker, Couture’s agent, stated the deal was “a great showing of respect to an icon of the sport.”

Couture’s loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on Saturday night, was the first confirmed fight of his new contract.

Couture said he would let the dust settle before he would make a decision on his next opponent in the heavyweight division, but also hinted he could possibly return to light-heavyweight.

Couture was quoted as saying, “I’m interested in interesting fights. There are a lot of guys in both divisions that are interesting to fight.”

Although the decision loss was not outcome Couture wanted, it proved that the 46 year old Hall of Famer still has what it takes to compete at a high level.

• xtreme_machine says:

Randy go to Light heavyweight!

1st Vs Jardine
    2nd Vs Top Contender like Thiago Silva/ Franklin / Rampage / Rashad
    3rd Vs Machida
    4rd Vs Anderson Silva
    5th Vs Lidell IV
    6th Vs Brock or Heavyweight Champion

I know it won’t happen, but a man can dream.

• hindsightufuk says:

wow 6 fights? wasnt expecting that, another three maybe.
    i’m guessing he will be a light heavyweight for a while if he is signing that long. as long as he can hold his own no reason he shouldnt. awesome fight on saturday, had a tear in my eye watching those two punch each other in the head

• fanoftna33 says:

There is no way he has 6 more fights, this just assures them that there will be no more contract disputes.

• WarCry says:

Yea the length of this deal is quite shocking. Something to keep in mind is that last night makes two losses in a row. Love Randy but he won’t get to the end of this contract.

• meatloaf says:

Let’s be honest.

A 46 year old man who is now coming off back to back losses signing a six fight 28 month contract is absurd. Granted he signed the deal before the Nogueira loss.
    It’s still crazy, but it kinda makes sense from the UFC’s perspective because it kills any chance of a Randy/Fedor fight happening. Which for reasons unknown to me people still for some reason wanted to see.
    Now the UFC will just to convince the masses that a Couture/Anderson Silva fight is something you should care about. lol

• Batman says:

I hope Randy fights Frank Mir next.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

16-16

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I mean honestly, they keep saying “one of the best ever”. He is about 11-7 at HW!.
    Crocop =25-6
    Fedor =30-1
    Barnett=24-5
    Sylvia=24-6
    Arlovski 15-7

Please tell me why he is considered one of the best ever, and don’t tell me it is because of his opponents because his significant wins at HW were over Sylvia via dec (well done), Kohsaka via dec, Smith via dec, Randleman (205 now and average), Belfort (185 now), Rizzo x2, 1 via dec, and Gonzaga via head butt. He is a multiple champ but his 3rd fight ever was a title shot so was his 2nd and 4th at LHW and his first back at HW after losing 2 from 3 of his last fights at LHW.

P.S. I like Randy and he is a good fighter but I’m sick of being told that he was better than he really was or is. I guess he gets a lot of points for upsets and being 46 and still being competitive.

• hindsightufuk says:

take into account all those people you mentioned you considered the best at the time randy beat them, and in virtually every one of those fights he was the underdog.
    Sylvia hadnt been beaten for a couple years, i dont recall the odds but Randy woulda been a massive underdog
    Kohsaka is another legend, an awesome fighter for his time
    Maurice Smith had just destroyed the seemingly unbeatable Mark Coleman
    Kevin Randleman was the Brock of his time, a one dimensional wrestler who again seemed unbeatable, no one had been able to stop his takedowns or reverse him etc. I used to hate him cos he was boring and looked like no one would beat him.
    Pedro Rizzo was a striking sensation, an almost uneek fighter for his time, one of the most feared strikers, he’d destroyed everyone he’d fought except Randleman, who layed on him for 5 rounds.
    Barnett and Rico had only been beaten once each in their careers when thy beat Randy.
    I guess no one needs to mention Chuck and Tito.
    These fighters may not seem like it now, in a time of GSP’s and the Silvas and the Brocks etc, but at the time these guys were the very best. In every single fight Randy was the old underdog. Every single fight. And he found a way to win. Thats why he’s considered one of the best.

I’m not telling you you are wrong, and that you should accept Randy as one of the best, but thats the reasons why people say he is one of the best, and why so many people love him.

• moosebaby02 says:

hindsightufuk you just stole my whole post lol.
    very well put

• shotokai_ says:

Amen Hindsight

• fanoftna33 says:

MMa logic- Much like Lessner, Randys first title shot came in his fourth fight, His first two were in one night , then his third was over Belfort.

• Couture’s “easiest” fight in the UFC was against Van Arsdale.

His relatively poor record is a testament that Couture ALWAYS fought the best. And when you fight the best, you sometimes lose.

• BigDave says:

I love Randy Couture but I really dont want to see him in there against Carwin or velasques or Brock again. he just isn’t big enough or athletic enough at this stage of his career to compete with these guys even though his heart will will never give up in a fight with any of them. If he is gonna stay and fight he NEEDS to go down to LHW at least there although he still won’t have the speed or athletic ability as the top guys there now he will at least be competitive. I still fell that even dropping down he may turn into a gatekeeper of sorts. But he has surprised me in the past so I will just keep on backing him and hope he does well every time he steps into that Octagon.

• edub says:

MMA HWS GOAT:

1. Fedor
    2. NOG
    3. Couture
    4. Sylvia
    5. Cro Cop
    6. Barnett(Steroids)
    7. Arlovski
    8. Coleman
    9. Brock(as of right now)
    10.Monson

Im sure list will be changing in next two years with entrants from (possibly)Cain, Carwin, Dos Antos, Herman, Duffee, etc..

• meatloaf says:

Let me get this straight maybe I’m misinterpreting this list of yours.

But are you saying that if Brock Lesnar retired right now he’d be considered in your opinion the 9th greatest HW of all time?

• edub says:

If you got some potential HWS that would leap ahead of him Im all ears.(Really not being sarcastic). The other fighters I would consider for this list have not accomplished the level of success that Brock has in the miniscule amount of time he has been fighting.

• moosebaby02 says:

i guess you can sneak Lesnar in there for how fast he got to where he is right now. I would wait until Nov 21st to see if he belongs in there IMO. othere than that nothing wrong with that list

• edub says:

Got ya Moose to each his own.

• meatloaf says:

Listen I don’t want to go off on a big back and forth argument.
    I’m headed out of town and won’t have access to a computer for the next few days, but If I were to sit down and think for awhile about a top 10 list of Greatest heavyweights ever to this point Brock Lesnar wouldn’t really enter my thoughts with 4 wins which when you think about it his Herring win is his best. Not wins over a very overrated Frank Mir or a geriatric Couture.
    Don’t get me wrong the guy’s a monster but I’d wait until he at least gets a few more wins.
    As far as who was a glaring snub on your list Igor Vovchanchyn sticks out like a sore thumb and no matter what you think of them now Ken Shamrock & Ricco Rodriguez would be on my list.
    Plus you dropped Josh Barnett to 6 because of steroids and you have Tim Sylvia 4th who’s tested positive twice himself.

• edub says:

Haha great points you have your opinions and I have mine. I dont really see Ken, Igor, or Ricco belonging on this list. And as a matter of fact I would have Randleman, Rizzo, Rutten, and Werdum ahead of them.

I didnt drop Barnett to 6th because of steroids hes just 6th on my list, and I have to point out the fact that I think he makes that spot because of a careeer long use of steroids. Sylvia is 4th because the guys was as dominant as anyone else in mma for a good little period of time. Also if you still there I know Sylvia got popped agains Gan Mcgee but I dont know when he got popped a second time. Which fight was it?

• hindsightufuk says:

personally think i’d have Dan Severn, Don Frye, & Igor Vovchanchyn in before Brock. I personally dont think you can be ‘great’ in such a short career. Its not really a time for a heavy weight to be starting out and expect to become one of the greatest. most of the greats are past their prime. its not like a few years ago when all the greats faced off against each other. Brock doesnt really have any prime greats to fight in the UFC. if he beats nog, cro cop, then maybe fedor one day, he may make that list. but beating mir, an old randy & heath herring isnt going to make him great to me

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont remember sylvia being tested positive twice either

• edub says:

Great post Hindsight and good logic, but just hold Brocks wins in a higher regard than you guys do I guess. I dont really feel a win over Cro cop now would do anything for him considering once Mirko fights another decent wrestler I think itll be curtains for him IMO.

• hindsightufuk says:

i know what you mean, cro cop and nog are the only remaining “greats” i can think of that Brock could actually face in the UFC. and yeah i dont think cro cop would stand a chance any more, nog a remote chance maybe

• meatloaf says:

Tim Sylvia was suppose to fight Andrei Arlovski at UFC 47 but was denied a license because of a positive test and then Cabbage was brought in to face Arlovski as a late replacement.
    And of course after the Gan McGee fight.

• edub says:

Meatloaf: Good work my friend.

I think most of us remember Josh’s more because both botched tests were in arguably the two most important fights of his life(In our eyes of course, Im sure not to him).

• Bullylover says:

good fights for Coutoure at LHW are jon jones,ryan bader,keith jardine,thiago silva,rashad evans,rampage, and rich franklin. he can come back to lhw and face an upancomer like jones or bader who are great wrestlers but still wet between the ears. Then he can move up and face some body like jardine or thiago before facing the top competitors like evans, rampage or franklin.those all sound good to me.

• Bullylover says:

any thoughts on these potential matchups at lhw?

• edub says:

I think a good start would be Jardine. Both are coming off losses and its a fight Randy can win. I wouldnt wanna put him in there with Jones though. That kid has the most potential for greatness Ive ever seen and now he’s training down with Greg Jackson. I think whoever they put in front of him is just gonna have a world of problems.

I gotta admit I would also like to see a super fight with him and Anderson at whatever weight they choose. I think Randy matches up very well with the Anderson and he would be the first fighter in a while that could truly dominate him physically.(I know some people said this about Forrest, but I think Randy is smart enough to find the clinch early against Anderson.)

I dont think Evans, Machida, and Rampage would be close at this stage in Randy’s career. But who knows he’s proved us wrong before.