Nogueira defeats Couture in legendary battle at UFC 102

Antonio Rodrigo NogueiraAntonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Randy Couture showed exactly why they are revered as legends throughout the fight game as the two warriors waged war against one another in one of the more memorable headlining bouts in recent UFC history at UFC 102.

The six-time UFC champion and the dangerous Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt got after it right off the bat during the main event that took place in Portland, Oregon, exchanging powerful strikes that left both men battered and bruised when it was all said and done. A see-saw battle that saw Couture avoiding submissions and doing his best to work his trademark ground and pound while on the canvas.

In the end the judges saw the bout in Nogueira’s favor, awarding him with the unanimous decision victory, and throwing the decorated veteran right back into the mix of the UFC’s heavyweight division in the process.

While Couture ended up on the losing end of the decision, he showed that he is far from done in the fight game at forty-six years of age. Whether “The Natural” hangs them up for good, or possibly decides on a switch back down to light-heavyweight will surely be decided in the coming days. From what he showed this evening though, there appears to be no reason for Randy to call it quits just yet.

• xtreme_machine says:

one of the best matches i have seen in a while

did not expect this from Nog but when you train with Anderson i guess your stand up can only improve

• fraz says:

“Whether “The Natural” hangs them up for good, or possibly decides on a switch back down to light-heavyweight will surely be decided in the coming days…”

At the press-conference, he announced a new 6 fight contract.

• Rich S. says:

Minotauro definitely looked better, and it was just so great to see this guy we all love so much back in action and doing great.. But, as much as I want to think Nog is going to rise back to the top, he couldn’t have taken some of those flush punches Randy gave him from ANYONE else in the division.. Randy’s striking is good, no doubt, but he’s probably got the least punching power in the division.. Nog’s striking sure made for an exciting fight, but it may make for a knockout loss against some of these other heavy handed HW’s.. He needs to work on his guard a little more, that’s all..

• Rich S. says:

And fraz, I hope that’s not true..

We all love Randy, but I’m almost positive that, no matter what weight he fights at next, if it’s in the UFC, he’ll get knocked out..

I mean, getting knocked out by Chuck: understandable, getting knocked out by a shot behind the ear from Lesnar: understandable, but Nog (with improved striking, don’t get me wrong) hurt him badly a couple of times.. And frankly if Big Nog is sending you to the mat, there’s not many guys that won’t..

Who knows though, he hasn’t ceased to amaze me yet..

• Davey D says:

WAR Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira!!!! That was such a great fight. Fight of the Year so far. Wand vs. Ace was also a pretty good one too. I think these two fight’s are prime examples for why “some non-Title” bouts should be set for 5 rounds. In both these cases, each Fighter is a former Champion and their skill level is so high that 3 rounds just isn’t enough. Imagine how much more exciting it would have been had two more rounds been allowed.

Now that think I about it, Diego vs. Guida was badass as well. Again, that was a Main Event bout too. Cheers!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

It was a great fight and likr I said earlier if Nog comes in shape he would win(although I didnt think it would be like that) But both fighters looked good and it was great to see nog back to form.

• submit662266 says:

I thought the whole card was great. The Aurelio fight was awesome, Leben being sumbitted was awesome, but of course, big Nog and Capt. America! Wow!! That was way better than I thought it’d be. I thought Randy was DONE at least 3 times and he clawed his way out of trouble. His ability to get back to his feet was impressive, esp with a guy like Minotauro on top of him. I had friends over who have never watched MMA and they asked “is it always this good?” Outstanding!!

• meatloaf says:

This honestly might have been the best fight I’ve seen in the UFC so far this year. Aside from Diego/Guida.
    Nogueira obviously wasn’t himself against Mir and is still a quality fighter when healthy.
    Overall a much better event than I anticipated and way better than 101.

• mu_shin says:

Great example of MMA at it’s best. Two well matched opponents, and an excellent all around battle. Good standing striking action, and strong moves on the ground as well. While so many matches these days look like bad kickboxing fights, this was a true mixed martial arts event, and a powerful win for a rejuvinated Nogueira.

• perfecto says:

Randy still has it he did great against a bigger man with great ground skills
    and Nogueira looked strong. Brock and Nogueira will be a good one.

Hell yeah. Reorganizing the round times and quantities is a good idea. I didnt like pride too much but that Ten minute first round was good. Separates the men from the boys.

• hindsightufuk says:

agree with davey, the 5 rounders will make non title main events something special, nog vs randy shoulda been 5 rounds. would have been interesting to see who came out on top

• Batman says:

They need to have a rematch

• A rematch is really unnecessary.

While Big Nog didn’t dominate per se, he left little doubt as to who won that fought.

Couture fought a good fight but Nog took it to him.

• Jstew3785 says:

Nog should fight the winner of Cro Cop/ Dos Santos and the winner facing the champ (Carwin or Lesnar).

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think he would fight Dos Santos(if he wins) They train together I belive.

• Jstew3785 says:

I know, but it’s what SHOULD happen if he does win. Who else is left? Rothwell, Velasquez…?

• fanoftna33 says:

I would think of thoes three fights (cro cop vs dos santos and rothwell vs velasquez) the winners of the last two should fight, big nog should be giving the next title shot imo. He was very unhealthy when he lost the belt, and proved that when healthy he is still a force, that guy does not need to have any more fights to prove his place. The others still have something to prove in the HW division in the ufc and should getr a few more high quality wins before a championship bout.

• mu_shin says:

Nogueira looked great. Perhaps a title shot is warranted, but even having shown so well against Randy, all that would be proved in a fight against Brock is Big Nog’s considerable capacity to absorb punishment. Nogueira is a master of the game, and he proved it the other night. Lesnar is just too strong, hits too hard, and has the skills to move Nogueira on the ground into a vulnerable position.

Rodrigo proved he still has the heart of a lion, and as a champion, he will want to continue his quest for bigger and better fights. He earned it, and the UFC should reward him, but I see more pain in his future…

• moosebaby02 says:

i think big nog should get a title shot for this win. he wasnt right for his fight with Mair but went on with it anyways. I see him fighting after the Nov 21st HW title fight. I think he can he can choke out Carwin for the title. ya i said it Carwin will have the title after Nov 21st…..i hope

• Jstew3785 says:

You’re right moose, Carwin will have the title. I don’t think Nog could get Carwin down to submit him though. Couture landed several flush shots on Nogueira. If Carwin hits anyone flush like that, it’s lights out. Carwin IMO is really the only one with a shot of beating Lesnar.

• edub says:

Big Nog looked great and IMO he should fight Mir if he gets through Kongo. I would also be excited for a rematch if Randy came into the next fight with a smarter game plan. He shouldve been in the clinch from ten seconds into the fight. IF he fought it how he did against Gabe than I think the fight wouldve been a lot closer.

IMO his trainers dropped the ball.

• moosebaby02 says:

edub did you say Mir vs Kongo?? was that announced and for when? I would like to see that one

• Angry Mike says:

In the Couture/Gonzaga fight, Couture caught Gonzaga with a big punch early in the first round and Gonzaga never recovered. That’s what happened in the Couture/Nog fight, but this time Couture was on the receiving end. Because of Nog’s ground game, clinching was risky, and his near submissions of Couture showed why. Couture’s plan to stand with Nog was a reasonable one, especially after Nog’s lackluster performance agains Mir. I can’t fault Couture; it just wasn’t his night.

• edub says:

I guess im jumping to conclusions. But I did think it was already announced. My bad.

Angry Mike: You make some great points. I just feel if he wouldve pushed the his type of fight a little bit harder it mightve been a little closer. After viewing the Brock and Nog fights I just have this feeling that he thinks standup is a lot better than it really is.

• hindsightufuk says:

I think Randy’s stand up comes as a suprise to some opponents cos they werent expecting him to stand and trade with them. Chuck and Tim for example, Randy was expected to take them down immediately but decided to box instead. caught them both off guard and it worked.

• moosebaby02 says: