Nate Marquardt Crushes Demian Maia At UFC 102

Nate Marquardt CoverWhile nothing is set in stone, it appears as though a clear cut number one contender to Anderson Silva’s middleweight throne may have been established tonight in the wake of UFC 102.

Nate Marquardt put a punctuation mark on an extremely impressive comeback since his previous loss to Silva for the UFC 185 pound crown as he blasted Demian Maia with a devastating right hand that left the previously undefeated submission specialist in an unconscious heap just seconds into their highly anticipated showdown.

The fight started out normal enough, with Maia working his kicks, but it wasn’t until after the third leg attack from the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt that Marquardt dropped the anvil, and dropped Maia in the process.

Marquardt has looked nothing short of impressive ever since his previously failed bid at championship glory during UFC 73. Now, nearly thirty events later Marquardt has notched stoppage victories over the likes of Jeremy Horn, Martin Kampmann, Wilson Gouveia, and now Maia. His sole defeat was to Thales Leites; a controversial bout that could have gone Marquardt’s way had the deduction of several points not had a major impact in the bout’s outcome.

Other contender’s for the middleweight championship that deserve mentioning include Dan Henderson, who recently embarrassed Michael Bisping via devastating knockout, and of course, Yushin Okami.

• xtreme_machine says:

one of the funniest and best KOs have seen ina while

sux so bad for Mia i was really pulling for him on this one

i still don’t think he could beat Anderson

Anderson vs Lidell BABY! b/c Dream Fight!

• fraz says:

“Anderson vs Lidell BABY! b/c Dream Fight!”

Sorry, Anderson vs. Lisdell is NOT a dream fight by any stretch of the imagination.

If that’s your idea of a Dream Fight, just re-watch the Silva vs. Forrest fight because it will look exactly like that.

• fraz says:

*LIDDELL (Sorry – I effed up his name twice)

• edub says:

I say give it to Okami and let Hendo and Marquardt fight for the next shot. However Okami still needs to fight Sonnen and I dont think the UFC would give him a shot before the latter two anyway.

• WarCry says:

Maia vs Marquardt was the fight i was looking forward to. It went like I thought it would. This fight proves once again that you have to be well rounded to compete at the highest level. Personally, I believe that Hendo and Marquardt should have a showdown to definitely decide who faces Anderson in a rematch.

Couture vs Noguiera I have to say I was surprised after seeing Noguiera’s Old Man shuffle into the Octagon I thought the eulogy on Big Nog’s career was a for gone conclusion. Boy I couldn’t be more wrong. It’s ok to say he dominated Randy in such a thorough way. He now thinks he can take Lesnar. I can tell him that he doesn’t want none of that.

Jardine vs Silva was not a surprise. However, early on it look like Keith would make a fight of it. Unfortunately nobody told Thiago that who used the blueprint of sending Keith on the path to destruction. Its been proving that closing distance and pressuring Jardine makes victory all but assured. You couldn’t meet a fighter who is more allergic to consistency. He’ll probably win his next two fights give us false hope that he is on the path toward contention than get destroyed by somebody else.

• Rich S. says:

I’ve always thought Maia’s striking was slow and a bit sloppy.. He needs to work on that alot.. But, honestly, I thought Marquardt was going to beat him on the ground..

• Davey D says:

Marquardt vs. Hendo would be awesome. I think Joe Silva should set that match up asap. October or November sounds good to me. Cheers!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see Nate vs Dan also Davey but really except Silve I think Nate rulea that division.

• fanoftna33 says:

Except Silva

• mu_shin says:

Disappointed that this one didn’t live up to the build-up, as Marquardt caught a slow starting Maia for the kill. Nate was definitely the better man on that day, but I would imagine that we have not heard the last of Demian Maia.

Marquardt/Henderson seems appropriate. Both have been beaten by Silva, so a #1 contender fight to get another run at the champion would be a fair way to determine who gets the title shot. Marquardt has said that’s he’s come a long way since his defeat by Silva, and Dan Henderson would give him an opportunity to demonstrate that.

• hindsightufuk says:

i was so unsatisfied by that fight, gutted it didnt get going.
    Nate won without really beating Damien. he won, clearly, and dominantly, but you didnt get to see who the better fighter was, just that Nates got a damn good punch. I had Nate to win one way or another, just would have liked to seen a couple rounds of grappling first, then the ko

• hindsightufuk says:

oh and didnt Wand look odd? if it werent for the jaw i almost wouldnt have recognised him in Damiens corner. not sure if there was still some swelling over the eyes, or the shape of the nose that did it, he just looked odd.
    props to him tho

• Bullylover says:

i knew the fight was going to end in a ko for Marquardt. Marquardt vs henderson would be awsome but i would have marquardt via ud. Still was shocked that it went as fast as it did.

• fanoftna33 says:

I was really hoping for a few exciting rounds of grappling here as Nates size and experience would have kept him pretty even but thats what happens when a good grappler like Maia trys striking with somebody that good, Nate timed his kick then unloaded, plus his sportsmanship was so great to see, I acually had my little boy come out and watch this fight and see how fighters are not always out there to hurt each other.

• Batman says:

Nate should get the next title shot then henderson will get his

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Honestly guys if Maia can’t take you down he has nothing to offer, why did you think this was going to be a great fight. Maia will never be a true contender except in BJJ, a shame but it is true.
    If you want to know who should fight Anderson next I would say someone with a good take down/wrestling and sub defense like Hendo, Okami.

• hindsightufuk says:

i honestly dont think Dan can beat silva anymore, i just dont think he has it in him. dont get me wrong i love the guy, he’s a legend, but i dont see any difference from the first fight, except maybe it wouldnt last as long.
    I really think Nate has the best chance

• fanoftna33 says:

I think if Maia stays at MW and keeps improving his striking he will be a top 3 guy or champ in a year or two.

• Hendo is still the same fighter that lost to Silva 18 months ago.

Marquardt has vastly improved in the two years since his failed title bid. I want THIS rematch.

• Jstew3785 says:

Exactly Sergio. I don’t think Marquardt will beat Silva, but he does stand the best chance. I have a hunch that Marquardt and Hendo will be fighting for the vacant MW title…..

• moosebaby02 says:

I would have loved to see this one go a little farther then it did. I had Mia only cause I thought he would some how get it to the ground. What a great punch. I see maybe Hendo getting a shot first before Nate cause of his KO over an unproven Bisbing but who am I to say anything. Nate deserves “THE” shot at the spider cause of his growth since losing the last time against Anderson. This would be a great match up. Nate is looking sick on his feet. Where Hendo just looks like the same guy with on punch. Okami I love and is no push over but he likes the judges to much and to me has no killer instinct. Before Anderson gives away his MW belt and im with you on the vacant thing Jstew3785 just not yet cause a fight with Nate would be to great to pass up. I say let them go at it and if Nate wins and that’s a BIG IF then Anderson can move up if he wants to eventually fight his best friend and if Anderson wins then he can give up his belt and move up to eventually fight his best friend.

• Angry Mike says:

Devastating ko of Maia, but that means nothing for a rematch with Silva. Everybody knew going into the Maia/Marquardt fight that Marquardt is a better striker than Maia, and everybody knows that Silva is a better striker than Marquardt. And Marquardt’s and Silva’s bjj skills cancel one another, so it’s unlikely the fight would stay on the ground for any length of time. Better to have a Marquardt v. Henderson fight before throwing either of them back in with Silva.

• BigDave says:

I can honestly say I didnt see it going the way it did but hats off to Nate he did what he had to do caught Maia getting careless wiht his hands down and lights out. Nate vs Hendo could be a great fight but I think it could be for a vacated title because it seems like Anderson “showboat” Silva wants nothing to do with top level opponents in any weightclass. I used to really like Silva but over his last 4-5 fights I’ve lost ever bit of respect for him. He is just coasting collecting paychecks for fighting guys that have no buisness being in the same ring as him. I’m hoping they feed Silva to Machida and he gets absolutely anilatied.

• Jstew3785 says:

BigDave- Is it Silva’s fault that he is just that good and makes everyone look bad? Does he get to pick his opponents? Forrest Griffin is a former LHW champ, is that not top level competition? Sorry man, but you are way off base here. I understand you don’t like Silva and I respect that, but the rest of what you said is just nonsense.

• moosebaby02 says:

who they put in front of Silva is not his fault and as for Machida vs Silva if that fight ever happens between two best friedns i see Silva destroying Machida. Silva has a better offensive attack then Machida so far as for what i have seen from both of them

• edub says:

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion but I think Silva can pretty much do whatever he wants.

“it seems like Anderson “showboat” Silva wants nothing to do with top level opponents in any weightclass.”

I know you joke around alot Dave but you cant really believe this. He just went up a weight class and took on a top three opponent. I think hed rather them fight first because it would make a clear cut number one contender. I doubt he would wanna fight another Cote or Leites so going up in weight to fight somewhat meaningful matches in the mean time makes since. There are fights for him at LHW or HW that would be great.(Ex. Anderson vs. Crocop or Anderson vs. Vera).

There are many options for fights with the greatest fighter in the world, and he has earned the right to be the one who makes the decisions.

• Rich S. says:

BigDave, You think Silva’s just coasting and taking easy fighters?

I don’t think ANYBODY wanted to see him fight Cote, or Leites, but at the time, they were the only contenders available for the shot.. So, he took the fights..

And I would like to think it’s safe to say that those were the only fights that would warrant the belief that he’s coasting..

After all, before that he had 5 straight fights over guys like Lutter (who, although undeserving in some eyes, posed some problems), Franklin, Marquardt, and Henderson..

And before you mention James Irvin, he IS quite the solid fighter, and it was Spider’s first fight at 205 in the UFC.. As for Forrest, he was a former champ and Anderson’s second fight in that division..

Now, back on topic,
    I like Nate and Hendo, and I want both of them to get title shots..
    Hendo beat the bigger names in Franklin and Bisping, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him get the shot..

But honestly, I believe that THREE STRAIGHT DOMINATING KNOCKOUTS over guys like Kampmann, Gouveia, and Maia make Nate TRULY DESERVING of a title shot.. I mean, he knocked out Kampmann and Maia (neither of which had ever been knocked out previously) in a combined time of LESS THAN TWO MINUTES, and striking isn’t even his strong suit!
    That’s scary..

• hindsightufuk says:

gotta agree with Rich, i think Nates recent performances have been awesome, his striking has become top notch and its a pleasure to watch a fight evolve. people will soon forget he is a scary submission grappler. as long as he doesnt forget he’ll go far

• hindsightufuk says:

watch a fighter evolve

• edub says:

Now you guys are gonna hate on me for this, but if one or the other had to fight Anderson I think it should be Hendo. Hear me out.

“I believe that THREE STRAIGHT DOMINATING KNOCKOUTS over guys like Kampmann, Gouveia, and Maia make Nate TRULY DESERVING of a title shot.. I mean, he knocked out Kampmann and Maia (neither of which had ever been knocked out previously) in a combined time of LESS THAN TWO MINUTES, and striking isn’t even his strong suit!
    That’s scary..”

This is a great post by Rich S. so I just figured rather than listing Nates attributes Id just latch on to urs.

Now for Hendo.

After the Anderson fight he fought Rousimar Palhares. He did what he was supposed to do and beat him in a decision. Rousimar is a great fighter and hasnt really had the ability to showcase his skills agains top tier opponents yet(Although the armbar on Salaverry was sweet.)

In his last fight against Bisping he knocked a guy out who had never been knocked out before, and has shown heart to claw his way back into fights he was losing.(Hamil, Rashad). No one had dominated Bisping like that and Hendo made it look easy.

The Franklin fight is the one that puts dan over the top for me. Rich is a guy who IMO is the second best MW in the world and I think he proved it with solid wins over Lutter, Okami, and Macdonald. I know for a fact that Id still bet on Rich in a rematch with Hendo or a match up with Marquardt for that matter. But Hendo beat him. He didnt look dominating when he did it(and the eye poke in the third round might have saved the fight for him) but he still got the W.

Hopefully we wont have to see either get shafted and let em fight for the spot.

• hindsightufuk says:

its either or really isnt it. i would begrudge either of them a shot at Anderson. i think Nate stands a better chance, but Dan is Dan, he’s like Randy, never count him out

• Bullylover says:

i say just throw Nate and Dan in the octagon and let the chips fall were they fall. No doubt they both deserve title shots but not everyone gets what they deserve. To be honest Henderson doesn’t seem like the great fighter that he was in pride. Henderson is without a doubt a legend and has fought only the best in the world but he seems to be close to the twighlight of his career soon. Remember this guy has been fighting the same time as randy coutoure and maqny fighters from that time peroid are now the “then” generation of fighters. Henderson has fought solid competition since in the ufc and still has what it takes to be a great fighter. But do you really see him being MW champion and ruling for a long time. His striking looks poor compared to fighters such as marquardt,rampage, others.this being said i wish henderson all the luck in the world.He will always be an icon in mma.

• Rich S. says:

I don’t understand why everyone’s opinions on Hendo have changed..

He seems like same old Hendo to me.. He came in and lost to Rampage.. OK, that’s reasonable.. Rampage was the best fighter in the division when that happened, and he still is (right behind Machida, of course).. besides, he looked great in that fight IMO.. Then he goes on to face Anderson.. I won’t touch on that because it’s ANDERSON FREAKING SILVA.. Since then, he’s looked great.. He beat Rousimar, who, I think will be fighting for the title within the next 2 years.. Then, he beat Franklin.. Maybe I need to rewatch that but I still don’t think it was THAT close.. and finally, he destroyed Bisping..

He doesn’t seem that much different to me.. He still throws bombs, he still uses that mean, brute force to get guys to the ground, and he still dominates his fights..

• edub says:

I agree with everything Rich said except I think the Rich fight was extremely close.