Brett Rogers: ‘I’m going to knock [Fedor] out’

Brett RogersSince the announcement of the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers fight in Strikeforce, a buzz has swept throughout the MMA community, as it seems like many believe Fedor is going to win easily. Just don’t tell Brett Rogers that.

Never short on confidence, Rogers recently spoke with MMAFanhouse.com, and has already envisioned himself as the man to beat Emelianenko. When asked how he expected the fight to go, Rogers proclaimed, “I’m going to knock him out. He’s going to give me his chin, somehow, someway. He’s going to get sloppy with that overhand right that he loves to do or he’ll try to shoot in for a takedown, and I’ll catch him with either a knee or an uppercut … something. I’m going to drop him. I want the crowd to go (gasp). I want to get that reaction out of people. So I can’t wait.”

He continued that if he beats Fedor, “I’m God then. I’m the God of MMA. I’ll become the God of MMA, right? Isn’t that how it goes? I’m the soul snatcher; I’m the grim. I’ll take all his wins and put them under my belt, and then everybody can just hush up.”

The fight between the two was announced yesterday, although no location or date has been confirmed.

Brett “The Grim” Rogers, is currently 10-0, coming of a devastating 22 second TKO victory over Andrei Arlovski, while Fedor, who many consider the best fighter on the planet, is also coming off a victory over Arlovski, with a KO in the first round.

• edub says:

Come on Balboa…Make me wait.

• Gurthee says:

I like his attitude. I used to be a Fedor fan but I’m hoping “Grim” can back his words and knock out the legend. Not sure he can do it but if he does I can’t wait to see all the Fedor nut huggers excuses.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think that is the wrong attitude to walk into a fight with Fedor with. You need to be very realistic about yous skills and completly respect his, look at the success Arlovski was having until he got sloppy and thought he could handle Fedor. I like Rogers and respect his skill and hope he is training harder than ever for this fight.

• Bad Monkey says:

That is some awesome shit!! I’m becoming a Brett Rogers fan and I hope he can give Fedor a real run for his rubles.

• G-DUB says:

Wow … even if The Dim is just looking for press, he is really feeling himself a little bit much for an untested fighter with mediocre-at-best skills. As is the usual with MMA fights, he has a puncher’s chance, but realistically Fedor has defeated badder men without breaking a sweat.
    Everything about this dude rubs me the wrong way. Not particularly a Fedor fan, but I do hope “educates” Mr. Dim about true MMA.

• notdanawhite says:

why not just put him in the cage with a hungry lion.

well i guess Fedor won’t actually kill and eat him.

joke fight.

• nope says:

G-DUB +1

Can take or leave Fedor…either way I hope he puts on a clinic.

• BigDave says:

Well know one said you had to be a mental giant to fight. Grim doesn’t need to poke the Russian bear for him to be ready, Fedor if nothing else doesn’t take anything for granted when it gets to fight time and you know he will be ready. Fedor is obviously expected to win this fight and the only real chance Grim has is to catch him because as soon as it goes to the ground it will be “goodnight Irene”.

• Texwatson says:

Well that gave me a good laugh, I hope Grim can back up his talk, I will expect nothing less but a respectful answer from Fedor. I hope Fedor beats Rogers with his mohawk

• Bullylover says:

while fedor has beaten more technically skilled fighters Grim probably has the most punching power out of any heavyweight in mma. no doubt about it fedor has the fight down skill for skill but i believe that if rogers catches fedor with a hot one on the chin it just might be lights out for the last emperor. I really wish rogers luck and pray that he shocks the mma world and sleeps “i’m ducking the ufc HW division” fedor. If this some how happens no doubt this would be the biggest upset in mma history.

• mu_shin says:

This would be ten times the upset that Serra/GSP was, if Brett Rogers were to make his prediction come true. Nothing wrong with confidence, and believing in his abilities, but for all the flack flying Fedor’s way these days from the disappointed fans who wanted to see him in the UFC, Rogers would be best served by maintaining some perspective. This is not just another fight, or just another fighter.

For all the juvenile associations I read on these blogs, it seems many fans believe to support a fighter and have confidence in a fighter’s abilities as demonstrated by his past achievements is somehow unmanly, undignified, and weak. If you want to label MMA fans who believe Emelianenko to be the best heavyweight currently active a “nuthugger”, so be it. When Rogers is staring up into the lights of whatever venue Strikeforce decides to host this event in, and trying to remember what state he’s in and what day it is as he’s regaining consciousness, then we can have a mature informed debate on who is hugging what body part of which athlete…

No fighter is unbeatable, and no one can face an athlete who is 6’5″ and 265 lbs with impunity. Rogers has my respect for getting into the ring with Fedor. If he knocks him out I’ll be ther first to congratulate him, and crown a new king of Strikeforce, even though Overeem is technically their HW champion. I’ve watched Fedor for years, and having done so, I think he more than has the tools to eviscerate Brett Rogers, and will demonstrate such at the time and place to be determined for this event.

• Makington says:

Can’t say I like his attitude all that much. He is nowhere near the best fighter Fedor has fought, and he looks like he’s underestimating him if anything.

Maybe he’ll be more focused the closer the fight gets, but it doesn’t look like he’s taking it seriously t this point.

• Angry Mike says:

This type of rhetoric makes me think that Rogers will charge out of his corner throwing with wild abandon. That’s a really bad game plan for Fedor, who is patient and exploits overly agressive fighters. Maybe Rogers has the punching power to ko Fedor, but having the power and having the ability are not the same. If he stays in the game long enough, somebody will beat Fedor, but I don’t think it’s going to be Rogers.

• Persian_Prince says:

He just might! Fedor was crap against Arlovsky, he won only by instinct. Fedor better take him down and submit him, fast!

• KTru says:

I would have preferred Fedor getting Werdum first. And let this fight gain more momentum in Fedor’s 2nd fight. Then of course, (injury healing) Overeem for the 3rd.

• moosebaby02 says:

You cant hate a man for being confident but really????

Thats priceless.
    For everyone who thinks he is taking Fedor lightly by making these statements dont worry he is not. This is selling tickets and i want to see this fight more than ever cause this will be a bad night for him no matter what he does to get prepared

• neijia says:

> Fedor was crap against Arlovski

no, Arlovski was doing outstanding against Fedor. Fedor was behind but adjusted brilliantly. You aren’t born with “instincts” like that. One thing that makes Fedor such a great champion to watch is his ability to come back during the slightest, unexpected opportunity.

Then, Arlovski did crappy against Brett Rogers. Arlovski is not at the very top because he is inconsistent. In contrast, Fedor is always great, and he seems to take every fighter seriously, even ones that are later dissed as “cans”, so no doubt he will be ready for Rogers’ power and whatever else Rogers can deliver.

• neijia says:

oh, yeah, Fedor by sub.

• xtreme_machine says:

this could be the biggest upset in the history of MMA.

i still think Fedor takes this one via KO @ 1st round

• CMT says:

F**k it, I’ll take Rogers. Fedor, don’t break out the vodka yet comrade.

• shotokai_ says:

“I’m God then. I’m the God of MMA. I’ll become the God of MMA, right? Isn’t that how it goes?”

I really do dislike Rogers but that is genius, period. For the (in)sanity of the sport I hope he knocks Fedor out, as much as I like Fedor. Imagine the uproar. Dana White would ejaculate.

• egad81 says:

Okay…. he wants to make people gasp…. I think Fedor is going to make him gasp for air just be for he TAPS OUT!

Think Tim Sylvia and I see the same fight for Grim.

If Grim does BEAT Fedor and I am not talk wack ass 3 round decision… I will say grim is the UNDISPUTED WAMMA CHAMPION and thats it

• s00nertp says:

Brett took a page out of Rampage’s book & is doing it up with STYLE! I love this stuff.

That is the kind of smack talk that is hilarious to me.

Brett has talent, and can make it happen. I’d still put my money on Fedor, but this makes me look forward to the fight more!

• gy614x says:

I do like his attitude, walking into the fight he has to be real with himself that he could end it, and not just be saying that to impress people.

i am going for Rodgers, I’m a Fedor fan (kinda) but i love upsets, love em

Rodgers KO rd 2

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fedor should win but it doesn’t always work out that way as Arlovski found out. Fedor is the better fighter and he is superior in nearly every way but Rogers has a punchers chance. Fedor TKO 1 min and 35 secs rd 1.

• Austin says:

no dude i’m god

• sensiman says:

I predict Fedor will win in 2nd with a rear naked choke. Rogers has the power but fedor has been slamed on his own head by Kevin Randleman and that didnt knock him out. You can never tell though. Im hoping Fedor wins and gives rogers a reality check. I was watching some of rogers “Highlights” and other than Arvloski who has he fought. Most of his highlights were against overweight, out of shape, street fighter type guys. I dont think he has ever fought against someone with as much Knowledge, Technique and Skill as Fedor. I will be glued to the TV for this one.

• xtreme_machine says:

Fedor wins via 1st KO @ 47 sec mark

• xtreme_machine says:

i Pray Rogers KO’s Fedor out of the world or MMA

but i don’t think it will happen

• Bullylover says:

you don’t have to be born with instincts to have instincts. for instance none of us are born with the instinct to hop fences and run when the cops come but yet some of us do it like we could be in the olympics.But yeah fedor did look like crap against aarlovski.I wonder what dana will be saying if Rogers some how some way beats fedor. There will definately be a lot of bashing going on for sure.

• neijia says:

>I dont think he has ever fought against someone with as much Knowledge, Technique and Skill as Fedor.

Yeah, there isn’t anyone fighting at Fedor’s weight with as much k, t, or s. Arguably Anderson Silva and Machida have more, but at mw and lhw.

@Bullylover, lol, yes, but your instincts and my instincts are not the same instincts as Fedor’s. Mine would probably have been “oh shit, I am eating flying knee now… huh? i don’t remember anything.”. lol. I’m not sure who else on the planet would react with perfect composure and throw the perfect shot like that after getting pushed around the ring up til that moment. It’s hard to assess the mental aspect and easier to dissect the physical moves later, but it’s easy to see the composed mental game Fedor has going above most. There is some saying about this mental game in MA — “like the moon reflected in the stream” – the stream is swirling all around, but the moon remains still. That’s another reason some of us are such huge fans of his. Same reasoning with Tiger Woods.

• hall says:

fedor has got this for shore! as for his fight wid arloski . fedor was never in no real trouble. i have wached all his fights, he is a very smart fighter, he waits for the right timeing. pluss he is a very humble person he never talks bad about no body. thats wat makes him a brilliant fighter. but any body can loose and eventualy he will, but never the less he is and will always be the best of all time just like some of the other great mma fighters. good luck rogers you”ll need it maybe you”ll get a lucky shot

• Bullylover says:

Neijia you make good points. Fedor is one wierd human being for sure. Not very many people would be composed when getting smashe on but yet he did and landed the perfect punch at the perfect time. His composure is one of a kind for sure.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fedor looked crap against Arlovski!?
    The fight went for less than 2 mins and Fedor KOed him! Sure Arlovski had the better of the early exchanges but f#ck.Read into it what you must but who is winning the first 1 or 2 mins usually means very little in a fight, especially when you get then get KOed cold.
    I like Fedor because he does it all gnp, boxing, throws, subs, wrestling and the odd well timed kick, his fights are never boring, he has dominated some of the best fighters in the world, has never lost (really), he stays completely calm and does his own thing despite what people say. This will be another domination I would think.I would love to see him tested against Lesnar just to see how he would cope against a guy with that kind of skill who out weighs him by 60+ pds. If only Lesnar was allowed to fight who he wanted.