Sherk vs. Tibau, Fisher vs. Stevenson, & Johnson vs. Yoshida added to UFC 104

Anthony JohnsonA trio of intriguing match-ups have recently been made official by the Ultimate Fighting Championship for UFC 104.

Today the company revealed several match-ups for the event including Sean Sherk vs. Gleison Tibau, Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson and Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida.

UFC 104 is set of October 4 and will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The show will be headlined by a light-heavyweight championship battle between fellow Brazilians Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Also expected for the card, yet not announced at this time, is a heavyweight bout between Cain Velasquez and Ben Rothwell.

A full list of the bouts expected for the card are listed below:

Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua
vs. Eric Schafer
Chase Gormley vs. Stefan Struve
Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury
Rob Kimmons
vs. Jorge Rivera

• fanoftna33 says:

This looks like a good main card ppv. I cant wait to see Rothwell debut in the ufc. Joe S vs Fischer should be pretty good also.

• Makington says:

I find that a bad move stylistically for Yoshida. Johnson is much bigger and faster, and hits harder than Koscheck, so that could spell a bad night for Yoshiyuki. The only way I can see him pulling off the upset is by a slick submission from the bottom, but I don’t think it will happen.

I also see Sherk being a little too good in every area for Gleison, except subs, but those probably won’t come into play. I think Sherk will b strong and smart enough to dictate where the fight goes, where he can grind Tibau down and get back into the W column with a decision.

Stevenson and Fisher looks FotN to me. Although wrestling was what got Stevenson where he was, he seems to have given it up in regards to the fans. Spencer has always been a slugger and always brings problems, but I don’t see him beating Joe with anything other than his accuracy.

• Jstew3785 says:

Man, this card is pretty stacked. Minus the bottom 3 fights on the list that is.

• Jstew3785 says:

Makington, did you see Stevensons last fight with Diaz? It was solely a grappling match. He didn’t really give anything up at all.

• fanoftna33 says:

I see the Stevenson fight with Fischer going much the same as Fischer vs Edgar, because honestly their is not to many guys in the LW division who will choose to stand and trade with Spencer.

• manny says:

what no comments about shogun vs the dragon? I guess we all know Machida will win then. Spencer it a tough guy to fight at stand up but it depends wich joe we see out there.Like sherk who spent too much training for a stand up battle against edgar got out wrestled. Again, which muscle shark will be in the octogon? I’ll be rooting for cain on this match.

• fanoftna33 says:

Shogun vs Machida will be entertaining but honestly Shogun doesnt seem to have a great chance here, his stand up is good and very strong but it is not very sound like Machidas. I see a late fight ko for Machida, but with Power like Shogun has thats what will keep me excited.

• BigDave says:

Four of my favorite fighters are on this card and they will all have easy nights in my opinion except for maybe one. To start:

Machida will take about 2-3 minutes at the very most to destroy Shogun

TKO rd1

Valasquez will rip rothwells arms off.

Valasquez Sub rd1

Anthony Johnson To big hits to hard.

Johnson TKO rd1

Fisher vs. Stevenson This could be fight of the night To good fighters but IMO Fisher is just a little better then Stevenson.

Fisher Tko rd3

I know I’m gonna here it from this so let it all begin.

• fanoftna33 says:

Fisher is a very good fighter but with his lack of wrestling vs Joes very good wrestling and submissions I dont see him getting a win here.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, that’s an awesome card..

• fanoftna33 says:

Speaking of Fisher I would much rather see him matched up vs Melvin Gulliard on the upcoming fight night than Diaz who is coming off of 2 losses and gets a main event, whereas Spencer is coming off of a win over a very talented Uno, and 3 wins in a row.

• edub says:

Machida tko rd4
    Velasquez UD
    Sherk tko rd3
    Stevenson UD
    Yoshida sub rd 1

Also I think the UFC should put Hardonk and Barry on the main card purely for my satisfaction.

• Jstew3785 says:

Here are my crazy predictions-
    Shogun TKO Rd 2
    Rothwell UD
    Sherk UD
    Stevenson UD
    Rumble KO rd 1
    Barry KO rd 2
    Sonnen via EXTREMELY boring UD
    Bader sub rd 2- RNC

• edub says:

‘Sonnen via EXTREMELY boring UD”

This would be very sad for Okami. I hope he gets a win and in a exciting way.

• moosebaby02 says:

that is a great point and dont understand it either fanoftna33

• edub says:

Maybe because his two losses were both very close and the Guida fight couldve gone either way imo.

• edub says:

Remember he is a TUF winner and he mean mugs everyone which gets bonus points.

• fanoftna33 says:

His two loses were close and good fights edub, and he is a very talented fighter it just gets to me that the ufc shoves some guys out in front just because they are on tuf.

• moosebaby02 says:

and thats what bugs me about the UFC. Granted some of them have proven the can hang in there but the UFC dont stick with what they preach when it comes to putting the best or most entertaining guys out there. Not saying all the time but it seems to be happing more often. I know it pulling in the new viewers who watch tuff but it sucks for the guys who have also put their time in as well. If would be cool like ozz’s theory about have weekly regional live fights on cable tv to get more view time of the real up and comers who don’t fit the “RIGHT” marketing plan.

• Makington says:

I guess I’m a little behind for this part, but yes I did see Stevenson’s fight with Diaz, and that was a little different. With Diaz’s reach and jab, not many people want to stand and trade with them, and Nate doesn’t fancy the stand up as much as he fancies the ground either. Stevenson was also in desperation mode for that fight, and knew that he had to control the fight, and the only way he could do that was with his superior wrestling.

Now he is coming off a good win, and I reckon he will be much more relaxed out there and looking to have more of a good exciting fight. He should know that he’s faster than Spencer, and doesn’t have to worry too too much about Spencers power (unless he blocks too many shots with his face) Stevenson has showed man of times that he doesn’t fight boring fights. Unless Spencer really starts to take it to him on the feet, I believe 100% hat he will rely on his speed to outbox him.

You’ll see. FotN.

• Makington says:

And to fanoftna, very true about the TUF treatment, but only us who care enough to post online about it really notice. UFC is still at the point where they need casual viewer, and let’s face it, most of those casual people would rather see Junie Browning fight rather than Tyson Griffin.

It sucks for us, but that’s just the business of television. It’s already a given right now that TUF will be the highest watched TUF in quite a while, simply because Kimbo will be on it.

• BigDave says:

I can’t wait for the next TUF season to start so I can come on here and just blast that useless waste of skin Bimbo slice. Unfortunatly I dont even see him making it out of the first fight so there may be only one episode to talk about what a piece of garbage fighter he is. Other then that Tuf will be as stupid as all the other seasons have been and i’ll just watch the finale.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think with all the quality fighters on this season of tuf i will acually watch it, as I have missed the last two seasons from lack of interest. This season is full of very experienced fighters and truly great athleates plus Kimbo so it should be great. Also Rampage always has something funny to say so I cant wait to see him get into it with Rashad.