Has Heath Herring Gone Hollywood?

Heath HerringWith the popularity MMA has gained in recent years, it has given the opportunity for fighters to expand their horizons. As has been the case with many fighters, it seems Heath Herring has recently thrown his cowboy hat into the mix as well.

He was recently pulled from a scheduled UFC 99 fight against Cain Velasquez, stating he was forced to withdraw due to an illness. However, with his most recent comments, it should at least raise the question of where his motivation is?

Heath Herring recently sat down with MMAFanhouse.com and discussed his future as a contender in the UFC Heavyweight division. Referring to his loss against heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, he explained how, “It doesn’t really benefit me to go backwards and fight new up-and-comer guys. It’s not really what I’m there to do, or what I’m there for.”

He continued, “It’s not that I’m not really happy with the UFC … It’s just, you know, like I said, I think that last fight just took a lot out of me. Now with acting, and things kind of taking off, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. And not necessarily with the UFC. Just with the training … you know, some of my trainers and things like that. I think I just needed a little time to step back and maybe do some other things for a little bit…”

What confuses me as a fan, is that had he fought Velasquez and won, wouldn’t that have put him right back in contention for the heavyweight title? And with the newly revamped UFC heavyweight division, there are more fights than with “new up-and-comer guys”. If my memory serves me correctly, I think Brock Lesnar was an up-and-comer in the UFC, but whatever happened with him anyways?

As has been the case with so many fighters before him, most notable Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture, MMA has given fighters the ability to branch out and earn money without getting hit in the face. But at the end of the day, they are fighters, they have all returned to what got them their acting gigs in the first place.

Currently Herring has a three fight contract remaining with the UFC, but it appears he is no hurry to return to the Octagon. He seems content with the money, B movies garnish, and will wait until the fight paydays increase.

I for one enjoy watching Heath Herring fight, and think with the restructured UFC heavyweight division, there are many intriguing fights he could take that would help his chances at a title shot. Remember, he is currently the only man to go the distance with Brock Lesnar.

Ultimately though, the decision lies with Heath Herring himself, but if he waits too long, all the acting jobs and fights, might just dry up.

• helterskelter says:

“Now with acting, and things kind of taking off….”

What? Are you fuckin kidding me? C’mon Texas Crazy Horse, you used to be a warrior man. Did you just stop being a warrior. And bro, your acting career is shit, nothing’s taking off. Never Surrender sucked balls SO BAD, you have a bit part in some freakin Anjelina Jolie movie where your probably a stuntman cuz I can’t even find your role on IMDB, and you have a couple cheezy ass looking movies starring nothing but UFC fighters in the future. Looks like for as tired as you are with fighting, you sure don’t mind cashing in on the sport. Fuckin bogus dude. You should make a movie with Cung Le called “Chickenshits”

• Batman says:

Dude you are kind of hostile, and Cung le is a bad ass, as is Heath Herring.

• Makington says:

I really have no problem with fighters wanting to earn a bit of extra money on the side, and more power to them if they’re good at it, but it’s a shame how some of them have given up on fighting. Major props to people like Rich Franklin who STARRED in a movie, and was never out of the fight game for long enough for questions to be raised.

Sports icons play cameos and roles in movies all the time, it’s just a natural thing, but it can be pretty hard to watch some of the absolute best fighters play some of the absolute worst actors.

If anyone would like a prime example of how NOT to act in a movie, youtube Ultimate Champion and cry for Stephan Bonnar.

• danw84 says:

“Chickenshits” is going pretty far. What does he, or Cung Lee, have to be afraid of? It’s not like they ducked fights in the past. Maybe they like the idea of getting a bit more famous outside of the fight fan circle. Maybe they WANT to get recognized in a mall or something. Who knows? Regardless, it’s not like they owe anyone anything. Yeah I’d much rather see nearly any MMA fighter fight rather than be in some garbage movie I wouldn’t even watch, but I’m not going to blame them for doing what they want to do. If anything, they’ve earned it.

• jj says:

I hope this doesn’t start a trend of my favourite fighters hanging up the gloves for a makeup brush. I like Heath and Cung…when they’re competing.

Obviously acting is easy and well paying and any critic would drop whatever (even whoever) they’re currently doing to leap at the same opportunity.

Can’t get punched in the face for a living forever…well, you shouldn’t anyways.

• BigDave says:

The way I see it is if Heath’s heart and head aren’t in the fight game atm then maybe he should take a little time away do a movie or 2 (good or bad they pay well) and come back in a year or so when he is focused again and ready to go at it with everything he’s got.

• shotokai_ says:

“You should make a movie with Cung Le called “Chickenshits””

HAHA!

• fraz says:

Heath Herring is an A list actor. He is taking Hollywood by storm.

He is better than Dinero and Pacino combined.

The only question for 2010 is whether Herring will win BEST ACTOR,BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR…or BOTH.

• cocoonofhorror says:

take your time getting back Heath, not a lot of guys you can beat in the UFC anyways. i see Strikeforce in your future.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Herring is still a good guy to have in the heavyweight div and would really like to see him matched up with Gonzaga.

• Makington says:

Out of curiosity, I took the liberty to imdb Heath, and all of his movies are the kind of cheesy fighter movies written by Hector Echavarria. It seems like Hector just writes movies that h plays the main character in so that he can be as badass as he always wanted to be, but never ended up being. He has like 4 movies, and they’re all littered with UFC fighters in them. Heath Herring, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Rampage, Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans.

Looks like he roped everyone in to make a few extra bucks.

• manny says:

Heath will be back fighting in the ufc, he still under contract for 3 more fights. He just pulled a cung le, took time off to do movies and stuff.

• moosebaby02 says:

i think he doesnt like being a gate keeper fighter wich he is now. a win over Velasquez would have helped. if his head is not in fighting right now then its better off he didnt get in the cage for his own sake. for all we know this could be a move to get cut from the UFC to go somewhere else where can get all star treatment

• Jstew3785 says:

helterskelter- I was going to say this earlier but I forgot- that was the funniest thing I’ve heard today! “Chickenshits”….. priceless.

• mu_shin says:

The role of journeyman has a long and honorable history in boxing, and I think it’s fair to cast Herring in that role. He’s had a lot of fights, done well in some, and gotten killed in others. For me, his loss to Jake O’brien was memorable, as I know a lot of fans hate what they disparage as “lay and pray”, ignoring the fact that if a fighter is presented with a technical obstacle, like getting held down by a superior wrestler, and can’t surmount the technique, YOU LOSE…

Heath may have lasted three rounds with Lesnar, but it cost him a fractured occipital orbit to do it. He is in my opinion one of the toughest guys out there, to have survived that fight in as strong a fashion as he did, with such a potentially devastating injury. He looked like he’d been in a car accident after that fight.

When the writing on the wall becomes so clear, and it’s obvious you’re never going to ascend to the title heights, maybe it’s rational for a guy like Heath to examine his professional options, and act like a fighter in movies, instead of trying to continue to be one. Anyone who smears Cung Le as anything but a dynamite fighter feels very diffently about this sport than I do, but perhaps a guy like Herring knows when he’s had enough of being a punching bag for bigger, stronger fighters whose punches toss him around like a ragdoll…

• cocoonofhorror says:

great post, mu_shin.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No loss if he retires to Hollywood. Sorry but it is true.

• xtreme_machine says:

well i guess he knows that his mma career is not going anywhere right now

• Bullylover says:

maybe herring has realized that he is coming into the twighlight of his career. Once thought of as one of the best hw in the world he is used now to help build up&comers records. This could probably be really depressing. If the money is good i guess i could see why herring is doing this. Still though i feel the same way the helter skelter feels.

• hall says:

HEY I WACHED THE MOVIE CHICKENSHITS LAST NIGHT AND IT WAS PRETTY DAMN GOOD HA,ha,ha,ha, that was agood one helterskelter. Na but realy heath needs to keep his ass in the octagon i think he is one of the hw ufc needs right now.