Mauricio “Shogun” Rua: ‘I would fight at the heavyweight division’

Mauricio-Shogun-RuaJust two months shy of the biggest fight in his established fighting career, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua admits that if the right offer came up he would move up to heavyweight and possibly face off with men such as Shane Carwin, Brock Lesnar or even Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

In a recent conversation with the Brazilian website Terra.com.br, Shogun admitted,”Depending on the money I would fight at heavyweight division. If I receive a good proposal and my moment is good and it is great for my personal marketing, I would have to give it consideration.”

First things first for the 27 year old knockout specialist from Curitiba, Brazil; on October 24 Rua will face be in the fight of his life as he meets up with Lyoto Machida for the UFC light-heavyweight championship at UFC 104.

Shogun will be coming back from consecutive TKO stoppages over Mark Coleman and Chuck Liddell after being derailed at the hands of Forrest Griffin in his UFC debut, while Machida has gone undefeated in his professional career, knocking out Rashad Evans at UFC 98 to obtain the title.

*props to Fighters Only Magazine for the find

• edub says:

I really dont think that would be a good idea. Does anyone else feel that with the right mindset he could be make 185 and be a force? Cuz I really do. Him and Rashad both.

• s00nertp says:

Well…. I’d like to see what happens with Machida before bringing this up.

Maybe he already thinks he will lose? In the HW division, he would be ok I think though…. since there is no clear dominant force in the UFC until Brock shows he can defend a few times.

• Rich S. says:

Heavyweight? Please, no.

He’s nice at 205..

I figured if he made a move of any kind it would be to 185..

• shotokai_ says:

He would get mauled by Lesnar, Carwin, Cain and beaten soundly by Mir, Kongo, Couture. Don’t bother bro.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’ve always thought that Shogun was a smaller LHW, but I’m not sure what weight he walks around at. I think I’ve heard 225-230, but I am not for sure. A move to MW, possible, but I doubt it. Seems the growing trend is to move up, not down.

• Bad Monkey says:

Shogun should focus on surviving the karate ass whipping he’s going to take from Machida first. Does he really think he’s going to compete with gigantic wrestler/strikers like Lesnar, Carwin, or Velasquez?

This fight with Machida will show for good how overrated Rua is since coming over from Japan.

• fanoftna33 says:

The first thing I took from this article is the difference in philosphy is very evident between Rua and Silva. Rua wants to go up for maney and marketing, Silva just wants to face better fighters and get challenged.

• Jstew3785 says:

Completely, totally off the subject….. Has anyone received their Affliction shirt yet?

• Cory Brady says:

Shirts are on their way. Be patient. It was more of a task than I anticipated but they’re coming. Thanks guys

• Jstew3785 says:

I wasn’t trying to be an ass. Sorry if I came across that way. I was just curious.

• manny says:

I like shogun but by making comments like that one is just not theright mind set to have to fight the dragon. After Lyoto ko’s him, he’ll be staying put at 205.

• Rich S. says:

Yeah, I really think EVERY HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHTER would give Shogun problems..

He would be like Bisping if he moved down..

You know, he’s good at Lightheavyweight, but he would be much more cut, and faster at 185..

• Cory Brady says:

@Jstew – You didn’t come off as an ass at all man. Just a guy that’s checking in on his Affliction shirt, lol. It’ll be there soon.

• Jstew3785 says:

Cool. Thanks man.

• moosebaby02 says:

manny is right this is not the time to be making comments on the future when you have the biggest fight of your life coming up and with a man who is as deadly as the Dragon.
    Moving up would be a huge mistake for him

• neijia says:

If Rua loses to Machida, I don’t think he or anyone should draw quick conclusions. Machida is just too good. If he somehow pulls off the win, on the other hand …

• Man, what I wouldn’t given to have ’05 Shogun taking on ’09 Machida.

Maybe ’05 Shogun will come back, who knows? If he does, there’s nothing that says he can’t beat Machida.

On a side note… Cory, do you paste @replies from the Twitter account in the comments section on the website?

• edub says:

“Man, what I wouldn’t given to have ‘05 Shogun taking on ‘09 Machida.

Maybe ‘05 Shogun will come back, who knows? If he does, there’s nothing that says he can’t beat Machida.”

I think the only way he goes back to that Shogun is if he fights in a promotion with stomps and knees on the ground. I think that part of his game was the best in the world and it really hurts him in the UFC now that he cant use those tools.

• He used them, yeah, but look at his second win over Overeem.

Brutal ground and pound, no soccer kicks or stomps needed.

• edub says:

True very true.

That right hand he put him to sleep with was murderous.

But the threat of him using also helped out a lot. Remember the Arona pounding.

God Pride was awesome wasnt it.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think a properly motivated Shogun can give anybody a lot of trouble, and on a side note does anybody else want to see Ninja Rua in the ufc as well? That guy remindes me a lot of another ufc returnee in Baroni as thoes two guys always come to fight and they wont quit.

• Batman says:

I think Shogun can take down Machida. Although I also think Randy Couture can beat Anderson Silva.