Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett Set For UFC 106

Dustin HazelettA welterweight showdown between fellow submission wizards Karo Parisyan and Dustin Hazelett has been agreed to for UFC 106.

Sources close to the bout have recently confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that both fighters have agreed to the match-up.

UFC 106 is set for November 21 in Las Vegas, Nevada, and will air live on pay-per-view. The card is expected to feature a heavyweight championship bout between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin as the headliner, with a light-heavyweight contest between Tito Ortiz and Mark Coleman as the co-headliner.

A Judo master crafted under the guidance of grappling legends Gokor Chivichyan and Gene Lebell, Parisyan has established himself as a constant force in the UFC’s welterweight division since his arrival in 2003, putting up an impressive record of 8-3-1 during his time spent in the Octagon. Parisyan’s most recent decision victory over Dong Hyun-Kim was overturned after it was revealed that Karo had tested positive for banned pain-killers following the bout.

Hazelett, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, has picked up the coveted “Submission of the Night” in both of his prior appearances in the Octagon. With a UFC record of 5-2, Hazelett has bested highly regarded fighters such as Josh Burkman and Tamdan McCrory in recent outings.

• helterskelter says:

NICE! 2 of my favorite ground fighters. A nice contrast of styles too. The heat’s judo and hazelett’s jits are always fun too watch. If anyone gets subbed, it may be Karo. I don’t really see either guy getting subbed so I’m thinking it will be a crazy ass ground war with a bunch of transitions. Good stuff! Joe Silva’s been stepping his game up lately.

• xtreme_machine says:

Karo wins via decision

i dont see Hazelett submitting him

IMO

• thunder okami says:

haze by sub

• Rich S. says:

• BigDave says:

I can’t see this fight being all that exciting but it will be a good fight to start the live show with. Karo looked bad in his last fight IMO and I had him losing the fight, but thats water under the bridge. I think hazelett wins this fight by submission rd 2.

• edub says:

“This will be AWESOME for Hazelett’s career if he can get a submission.. or win of any kind I suppose.. I think Hazelett’s size will probably cause problems for Karo.. should be a great fight..”

Completely agree with the first statement. Pariysian has been in with some world class competition and never been subbed.

I dunno about this one being a great fight tho. I hate to say it but depending on which Karo shows up I see it being a td clinic put on Hazelett with Karo coming away with another lackluster decision.

• fanoftna33 says:

If Karo shows up and is ready to fight he is a tough fight for anybody, personally I would still like to see him get a chance against Hughes, but this will be a exciting fight.

• Rich S. says:

• manny says:

This will be a interesting fight, BJJ vs sick judo throws. This will def end in a submission.

• edub says:

“Sure, we get different Karo’s from time to time, but I haven’t seen Hazelett in a boring fight yet..

And Karo has one of the sickest ground games out there, but Hazelett’s long limbs allow him to pull off submissions that not many other Welterweights can, so, we’ll see I guess..”

The problem I see Rich is Hazelett has had a very long layoff. I dont think he will be as sharp as he usually is and that is not exactly the best situation agains Karo who has WORLD CLASS submission defense and offense. Karo can still be effective fighting with all the demons in is head even though he doesnt push the pace nearly as much, and as a side effect is not as exciting.

I see Hazeletts best chance in this fight being the knockout. Maybe by headkick ala Koscheck.

• Rich S. says:

WHOA!

I didn’t realize he’s been on such a long layoff.. He hasn’t fought in almost a year now! I thought that McCrory fight was earlier this year.. sheesh..

Well, hopefully it won’t make too much of an impact on his performance..

• Angry Mike says:

Karo will be hard to take down, and his striking is better than Hazelett’s. If Karo is healthy and his panic attacks are under control, he wins by ko or tko, imo.

• Makington says:

While everyone is toting Jon Jones as the hottest prospect (rightly so) I have been keeping my eye on Dustin Hazelett. I would say he has the hands down best jiu jitsu in the UFC, except for maybe Damien Maia. I don’t mean jiu jitsu in general, I mean jiu jitsu as it applies to the UFC. He can pull subs out of literally nothing and is getting better at strikes with each fight. He uses his range extremely well, and has accurate kicks to boot.

All that said though, I think Karo will have the experience edge and will give Dustin a tough, tough fight.

Hazelett by decision.

• Batman says:

In my book Karo is on his way out he is the old school of fighting. He needs to adapt in order to survive in the new mma of today. He is to one dimensional the Judo will only get him so far. Although I love his Judo throws.