Jake Shields vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller For Strikeforce Middleweight Title

Jake ShieldsJason “Mayhem” Miller will face off with Jake Shields for the Strikeforce middleweight championship.

Miller recently confirmed the news on myfightteam.com, stating,”I’m set to take on Jake Shields for the middleweight championship of the world in Strikeforce.”

Of course Cung Le is the current Strikeforce 185 pound title holder, but hasn’t managed to defend the belt in a ridiculous amount of time in order to focus on his movie career. It seems as though Mayhem and Shields will be going at it for the interim title, with the winner possibly facing Le in the future.

Miller is the charismatic host of MTV‘s popular television series “Bully Beatdown“, as show where victims obtain revenge through watching their tormentor being brutalized by a professional fighter inside of a cage. Bully Beatdown is currently entering it’s second season.

Mayhem has put together an impressive record of 22-6 while fighting in dozens of organizations ranging from the WEC, DREAM and the UFC. Miller holds wins over the likes of Tim Kennedy, Robbie Lawler and Denis Kang during the course of his career.

Shields had previously been promised the opportunity to fight for the interim championship, it had just been a matter of determining his opponent until now.

Jake is a dangerous Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt under Cesar Gracie Jr. He trains among the likes of Gilbert Melendez, along with Nick and Nate Diaz. With a record of 23-4 and having spent a large chunk of his fighting career at 170 pounds, Shields recently jumped up to 185 pound seeking larger challenges. His Strikeforce debut at the weight was a successful one as he slapped Robbie Lawler in a nasty guillotine for the first round submission in June.

• moosebaby02 says:

hmmmmm im taking Shields in this one

• Miller has trouble with guys with strong top control, I see Shields grinding out the decision.

Which is great because I hate Miller.

• edub says:

SO you have Shields and Mayhem fight for the title when you have Lindland, Jacare, and Diaz.

I dont like the way Strikeforce is goin.

This is a battle of undeserving challengers.

Shit Santiago won the 4 man tourney at 185. If you wanna push Shields so bad why dont you try and make a match up with him and Jorge.

• TURKISH says:

This is a great match up.
    Why the hell would they have Lindland fight for the interim title when he was knocked stiffer than a board in his last fight.

And Jorge Santiago is the Sengoku middleweight champion. He was taking that fight against Belfort in Affliction because he got the OK from Sengoku.
    You think they’re going to give him the go ahead to fight in Strikeforce after this announced alliance of Strikeforce and Dream. And why would Strikeforce want a guy who’s a champion in Sengoku come in and fight for their interim title. That makes no sense whatsoever.

• Rich S. says:

wow… great freaking fight..

• edub says:

Why would him fighting in Sengoku deter him from fighting in Strikeforce. And also I thought he was there for the tournament I didnt know he is exclusively signed to WVR.

Also I thought Strikeforce wanted to put the best fighters in the world together for their title matches. Shields and Mayhem dont exactly fit that description. Considering Mayhem hasnt beaten a top thirty MW since defeating Lawler 3 years ago, and Shields has never fought at MW. Lawler was at a catchweight but im sure you knew that.

And on them having Lindland Fight he is their best MW now so I figd they might think about giving him a shot.

Oh and no this is not a great match up. BJ vs. GSP was a great match up. Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson was a good matchup. Randy couture vs. Chuck Liddell was a great matchup… This is a matchup between a great ww and an above average middleweight for the middleweight title. Not great.

• BigDave says:

The Mayhem Monkeys are gonna be out in full force. This fight will be great they are both good on the ground both getting most of there wins by submission or decision. Only 7 Tko/KO between the two. Miller went to a decision against GSP, while three other losses where to trigg,Sonnen, and jacare. Sheilds has lost too some lesser known fighters, but has wins over okami,condit and lawler whom Miller has also beat. It will be a close fight and I find it hard to pick a winner based on skill so I’ll just go with one of my favorite fighters to watch Mayhem miller by split decision.

• TURKISH says:

edub WTF are you talking about really.

• saerbarnet says:

• TURKISH says:

saerbarnet “yeah wow, this title means shit.. Mayhem and Shields would get killed by Anderson Silva in less than 5 minutes.”

• edub says:

“edub WTF are you talking about really.”

Um reread my post. Or post an actual valid argument.

Cmon buddy im waiting change my mind. Make a valid point. Something.

I will make this simple. Strikeforce is not going to continue their rise in mma if they make title fights with undeserving challengers.

There now do you know what im talking about Turkish?

• TURKISH says:

Well edub I don’t have to read your post again to know it’s no sense.
    I could tell that the first time I read it.

Saying Lindland is the best middleweight they have is asinine, and saying Shields/Miller isn’t a great match up is ridiculous. You obviously think it’s going to be a shitty fight I take it.
    I’d bet money that’s going to be a very good fight if not great.

And saying GSP/Penn, Anderson/Henderson, and Randy/Chuck were great match ups is honestly rather stupid after the fact because aside from the first GSP/Penn and first Randy/Chuck fights. None of those other fights were great or even very good.

Lastly what don’t you get about Santiago not being even considered for this fight with Shields is beyond me. I mean it’s not that complicated at all. Strikeforce has a partnership with Dream. Dream and Sengoku are rival promotions. Do you really think Scott Coker and Mike Afromowitz are going to say the hell with are partnership because we’ve got to get Jorge Santiago to come over from Sengoku and fight for our title. WTF?

• shotokai_ says:

@ TURKISH; Do you think that Shields and Mayhem would beat Silva?

• moosebaby02 says:

i dont think he understood the post like always

• moosebaby02 says:

This is a battle of undeserving challengers. But the match up is a pretty good one

• edub says:

Oh so you in your point of view. WOOOWWWWW You can great matchups with mediocre fighters.Hooorrraaayyy! Ok I can understand that I feel that way sometimes too. But I feel obligated to call garbage when I see it. This is a garbage title fight between two undeserving fighters. You still havent said anything different.

Also who in Strikeforce is better than Lindland at MW. Lawler, nope sorry not big enough. Shields, Nope no power. Jacare, maybe when he learns how to strike. Did you not watch the Rampage fight or does Quinton being in the UFC now make you forget about(we get it you dont like the UFC and will look to stick up for any rival promotion.) The only fighters that can beat Lindland are guys that can stop him early, and he usually corrals those guys soon enough to perform a clinch and ground and pound clinic on them(think Baroni).

I call great match ups between great fighters thats why i put the afformentioned up there. At the time I wouldve put Sylvia vs Fedor on that list or Fedor vs. Arlovski not knowing that Fedor wouldve completely pwned the #4 ranked and #2 ranked HW fighters in the world.

Laaaassssstly, I understand Santiago is in Sengoku. Buttt…

1. He was the four man tournament champion at 185 lbs so you wouldve figured they would be talking to him alot sooner than they made the deal with dream.

2. I thought Strkieforce was interested in bringing in the best fighters in the world and he is(arguably of course) the best MW in the world outside of the UFC.

3. I thought Strikeforce and all those other promotions were all for cross promotion. Isnt that what you and all the other haters get so mad at Zuffa for not allowing??

Man this is so much fun right?

• impact1 says:

Does anyone know when this fight is set to take place? I didn’t notice any dates.

• edub says:

I was under the impression it was in October but I could be wrong.

• TURKISH says:

Shotokai no I don’t that’s not the point.

and moosebaby02 you of all people shouldn’t be taking cheap shots at other people for not understanding things, because just about all of your posts are either a jumbled mess or filled with spelling errors. It’s quite obvious that you’re not the sharpest knife in the drawer so if I were you I’d keep quiet.

And edub it’d be easier if you just came out and said hey I’m a UFC mark.
    Then I wouldn’t have had wasted my time posting earlier in regards to you. Why waste time with a lost cause.

• TURKISH says:

I also like how edub says that Mayhem is not worthy because his best win was three years ago, but Lindland should be fighting for the title when the last really good win he had was when exactly?

• edub says:

“Right it’s been a long time and if you think that the guy who was lit up by punches to Vitor Belfort and David Terrell would go 5 or even 3 full rounds without getting KTFO by Robbie Lawler then you’re really living in denial.”

So he can go three hard rounds with Rampage but he cant with Lawler.

I just act like a mark around you man because you are so obviously a hater it sickens me.

• TURKISH says:

Oh my god give it up dude you act like a mark because you are one. It’s no act, and I love how UFC Nuthugger’s try to spin things around and call people who are more than just UFC fans, and are critical of the promotion when it’s warranted haters.

Fine go ahead and call me one if it makes you feel better.

And no Matt Lindland wouldn’t last three rounds with Robbie Lawler unless Dan Henderson let him borrow his chin.

• nope says:

okay, it does.

Turkish = Hater

And an Asshole

hahahaha

Lame

• BigDave says:

Ok, this is gonna be fun.

@edub Matt Lindland hasn’t beat anyone of any significance Joe doerksen in 2005 or Phil baroni in 2003. LindLand is not the best they have. Lawler, Jacare, diaz, Shields, Miller would all beat him at this point in his career.

Saying this isnt going to be a great fight because these arent great fighters makes you sound like a moron. Some of the greatest fights ive ever seen werent by the top guys in the division, Griffin vs. Bonnar, Sanchez vs.Guida, just to name two.

@Turkish although I do agree with you in this arguement you are still the last person that should be telling anyone that they are stupid for saying things on here cause some of the dumber things that ive read on here where from you. I’ve definatly said some dumb stuff myself but at least for the most part alot of the stuff i say is just to get a rise out of people. Like when I said Carano should stick to modeling, or I want Penn to get hit by a bus. This is just being sarcastic.

To get back to the Match at hand yes I think its going to be a highly entertaining fight with two very skilled fighters and will be a close decision IMO.

• helterskelter says:

Man, I don’t see Mayhem getting subbed, but if anyone could do it, it would be Shields. Dude’s a stud on the ground. He’s gonna win this fight but I think it’ll be a scrappier bout than most people think just based on Mayhem’s sub defense. Shields by close decision.

• shotokai_ says:

“My point is if two guys aren’t good enough to beat probably the 2nd best fighter in the world does that mean they shouldn’t fight elsewhere for a title.
    If that’s the case then why have any title fights in the middleweight division that Anderson Silva isn’t in even if it’s not his promotion. If you agree with that then the UFC should cancel the Lesnar/Carwin fight because neither of those two could beat Fedor. That’s why that guy’s post was stupid it’s meaningless.”

@ TURKISH:
    At no point did I say or imply that this match should not take place – I merely asked you if you thought Mayhem or Shields could beat Silva. I asked this because your personal attack on the original comment was severe and unprovoked to the extent that it persuaded me to believe you must think Mayhem and Shields are the better fighters. Anyone else on this site commenting in such a way probably would mean that. But with you it means nothing, really, just another opportunity to shoot down someone viciously because you don’t quite agree with a harmless statement that wasn’t even directed towards you or did not challenge your views in previous posts.

5oz has always been my preferred MMA website not for the breaking stories, which can often be found elsewhere, but because I enjoy browsing the comments made by readers as many of them display an intellectual grasp of the sport, are well articulated and, more often than not, show respect to other readers; something which cannot be said of most of the other MMA websites/forums. However I have to say, bro, that since you started commenting (about 2 weeks ago?) there are significantly more pointless “arguments” (I use that term loosely), needless personal attacks and most annoyingly I have to read you use the word “asinine” about 9 times a day, probably because you think it makes you some kind of literary genius. My point being; calm down bro. I accept differences of opinion are inevitable, and I’m all for a good debate with thought out arguments, but if someone puts an innocent comment proclaiming Anderson Silva would beat Shields and Mayhem inside one round (whcih, as it happens, I think I probably agree, if not then inside two) there is no need to immediately retort with: “If I ever posted anything this fucking stupid not only would I never post again I’d never leave my house so other people couldn’t find out just how stupid I really was”. You get my point? Just because someone doesn’t agree with your point of view don’t assume so quickly that this makes them “fucking stupid”, a “UFC nut-hugger” or their comments “asinine” – because it’s a sickeningly arrogant existence. Right I’ve said my bit, I’m not arguing, I’m not calling you a moron, I’m not looking for a response, I’m done. Peace out.

• saerbarnet says:

TURKISH: “If I ever posted anything this fucking stupid not only would I never post again I’d never leave my house so other people couldn’t find out just how stupid I really was.”

Except everything I said was true… idiot

• Wow, this comment section got hectic.

Shields/Miller IS a good match-up.

Shields/Miller DOES NOT have Top 10 MW ranking implications.

Shields/Miller is probably the SMARTEST fight Strikeforce can throw together for their MW title.

• edub says:

@Big Dave

1. I think Lawler would be the only one with a chance against Lindland considering his power. Lindland is of course not in his prime. But I still feel at this stage he cant be beat by any one dimensional grapplers. Maybe diaz too if he could keep the fight from getting clinch centric.

2. I was trying to show my disgust for the match up having title implications. I was roped into a damn argument with the hater so I ended up saying it wouldnt be a great fight. It is not however a great match up. It has the potential to be exciting and it also may turn into a 5 round snoozfest. Consider both these guys are stellar grapplers with little to no stand up. It has the potential to be high paced and it has the potential to suck.

[email protected] Oh and you two year old. Im not a UFC mark. i just dont like u.

• nope says:

+1 on Sergio

• moosebaby02 says:

why do you guys let the ass clown get to you so much
    shotokai_ couldnt have said it better my self. very well put and i would of checked the grammer but i dont care about such pointless stuff like that as the ass clown.
    oh ass clown
    OR WHAT ASS CLOWN??? It is plain to see that everyone here thins you an ass. keep calling people names with nothing to prove

• moosebaby02 says:

thikns oh shit there goes mey grammmera againg

• TURKISH says:

Who the hell is nope?

and edub “I just don’t like u”. Why because when you post bullshit that has no point and someone points it out and calls you on it that’s pisses you off?

and moosebaby02 I really hope that’s an old baby picture of you because I’d hate to think that you’re raising a kid.

People like you guys have completely ruined the comments section here on this site, and nearly every single MMA blog I’ve seen.
    Have a nice life gentlemen.

• edub says:

No I dont like you because your an ass. People post their thoughts on certain subjects and you attack them personally with no provocation.

Why do you say have a nice life? Are you really not gonna come back to the site because people call you out on acting like a teenager? Are you a teenager? Because that would make a lot of since.

• edub says:

After all this I still hadnt put down my pick for the fight.

The betting favorite should be Shields considering he has the better wrestling and a little bit better of a record. However I feel the size difference will be the story of the fight. Shields will have trouble putting Mayhem away although he will have him in a couple of dicey situations. I think Jakes cardio will be his downfall late in the fight and will allow Mayhem to capitalize with either a late sub or get the dec.

• nope says:

At least dude’s gone. Sheilds, easy sub by any of his choice im thinkin. Not gonna be a cake walk, but i don’t see Sheilds havin much trouble.

• Batman says:

Awesome fight I can’t wait. On a side note I just saw them both on Bully Beatdown together.