B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez in the works for UFC 105

Diego SanchezA lightweight title bout between UFC 155 pound champion B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez is currently in the works for UFC 105.

According to a recent report on the Fighters Only Magazine official website, Sanchez has recently been offered the match-up, although nothing has been agreed to at this time.

UFC 105 will take place in Manchester, England on November 14. Also rumored for the card is a middleweight bout between Michael Bisping and Denis Kang.

Penn is coming off of a dominating fourth round submission victory over Kenny Florian at UFC 101 while Sanchez most recently edged out Clay Guida by split decision in a hard fought “FOTN” performance at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale.

• thunder okami says:

I wonder if Diego will come out starting like the Guida fight

• Jak says:

That’s awesome… i hope we get a free card with Bj Penn on it. The rest of the card has too many Ultimate Fighters on it….

I’m looking forward to the Hardy fight that should be a good one, both guys are 3-0 and have both been pretty decisive in those victories…

• Rich S. says:

I thought Florian had a good chance, but I’m going to have to say it again, Sanchez will be BJ’s toughest test at Lightweight..

With quality wins over guys like Parisyan, Riggs, Diaz, Guida, and Stevenson he stands a great chance at beating BJ..

BUT, Diego’s often too pumped up.. which makes him reckless at times.. It’s worked for him so far but it’s a wonder how..

His BJJ is TOP NOTCH but he’s on this boxing fix and I know that’s what he’ll want to do with Penn, and he’ll probably get caught for it..

Speaking of Diego’s BJJ, whatever happened to it? He used to constantly roll and take guys backs effortlessly.. But ever since he knocked out Riggs and practically became a striker, when he ends up on his back, he just kind of sits there..

• thunder okami says:

^its like the same thing that happened to Rashads wrestling

• Rich S. says:

yeah thunder, and the same thing that happened to Nick Diaz.. only, Nick and Rashad knock people out..

I hate when guys have such great ground games, but feel the need to strike.. I mean, if Diego actually WANTED to grapple in his last two fights, he probably would’ve finished them.. BUT, his urge to box won him controversial (IMO) decisions..

• nope says:

^
    ^
    ^
    Same think happened to Koschecks wrestling. Stick w/ what works.

• BigDave says:

Have I ever metioned I hate BJ Penn! Well I do and I’m hoping the nightmare chokes the life out of the piece of shit. Now normally I would try to break down the fight and see who has the advantage but in this case I’ve never wanted a to see a fighter get hurt more then I want Penn to be hurt so thats my feeling on this one.

• fanoftna33 says:

Deigo hasnt looked all that great since dropping down to LW imo. He gassed badly against Stevensen and really looked bed. Against Guida he started off greatbut really could never take advantage of it. I mean even Huerta took over his fight with Guida aftre rocking him and Diego could only squeek out a split decision. Regardless of all that I do like him and like Rich S I miss his ground game but, I dont think thoes two wins should get him a title shot.

• CMT says:

This is the fight I have been waiting for. I think this is where BJ gives up the belt. He is a whiny bitch who needs to have his mouth shut. I am with BigDave, I hope he gets the shit choked out of him.

• twyg says:

A lot of BJ hatin here, well I for one look forward to seeing “The Nightmare” getting punished to no end. Sanchez isn’t even in the same class of fighter as BJ. The only reason this fight is interesting to me is the over/under on how long before BJ finishes this thing. I say it now, Sanchez does’t make it out of the third. Bring on a real opponent, the only one is outside of UFC Aoki

• BigDave says:

Aoki would get destroyed by anyone with good takedown defence and a good standup game. he has no game on the feet and that wpuld be his downfall aginst the top LW fighters. 3 of his 4 loses have been by tko/ko, his game is just not at a level to compete with the top guys in UFC. But if he was ever to face BJ Penn I would want him to hurt him bad aswell.

• gy614x says:

For some reason i think this is gonna go the same way as the Sherk Fight.

Sanchez will not be able to take BJ down, his Bjj is not better, and hes not good enough to strike with him.

i love when BJ Haters get let down.

Bj by TKO round 2-3 imo

haha The Prodigy will strike again

• Angry Mike says:

Penn will win easily. He’s as dominant at 155 as Silva at 185. Hell, Penn would be competitive with most fighters at 170 other than GSP. Diego just isn’t on his level.

• mu_shin says:

A little surprised, but pleased to hear BJ might consider fighting again so soon after his defense against Florian. I for one would enjoy seeing the UFC division champions a little more active, and fighting more regularly if possible.

I saw a close decision going to Guida in the Sanchez fight, and have to give BJ a serious edge over Diego. I think Sanchez is a good lightweight. He has developed well rounded skills, adding a striking arsenal to his formidable wrestling prowess, but seeing the shape and conditioning BJ brought to the Florian fight, and acknowledging the dominance Penn has shown within his division, I have to give the nod to BJ. Sanchez has good jujitsu, but BJ is in a class by himself in that regard, and Penn has repeatedly shown great hands in many of his bouts. Even though he lost the decision, BJ is still one of the only fighters to land solid shots to the head of Lyoto Machida, and I think he has what it takes to knock out Diego Sanchez, or knock him down and submit The Nightmare…

• fraz says:

Is is possible for both of these whiners to lose?

Realistically, I don’t think Sanchez has what it takes to defeat BJ. I’ll look forward to the fight but I think it will be a repeat of the BJ/KenFlo performance.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sanchez by decision.
    Wins over Florian, Guida, Stevenson, Parysian and a record of about 21-2! This guy is as good as anyone gets at 155.

• twyg says:

BigDave you are probably right Aoki would lose to Penn, but still a fight I would like to see. Mu_shin, I agree with your thoughts on Sanchez/Guida I had Clay taking that one, and at the least a draw. Sanchez poses no real problem to BJ because I don’t think he will push the pace of the fight and test BJs cardio (something Clay would have done), and I am already looking towards the next guy in line. I think it should be Maynard over Edgar, because Maynard can test Bjs cardio and Edgar gets stomped on by BJ. If you are asking yourself my reason for wanting someone to push the pace and test the conditioning of BJ; it’s because I still think that is the weakest part of his game. The only way anyone 155 is going to beat BJ (if it can be done) is to gas him out. That has always been the book on him until he goes five hard rounds and proves people wrong. BJ by sub. third round.

• Bullylover says:

regardless of who you want to win and why this is probably the most talked about title fight next to the lesnar/carwin fight. Personally i’m going for diego because i really cant stand penn due to his oversized ego.either way i see fireworks happening in this fight

• Jstew3785 says:

I hope Diego goes rushing at BJ like he did Guida. If he does, he’ll eat a nice left jab for his troubles. BJ’s boxing is far superior to Diego, hell, every aspect of BJ’s game is superior to Diego. Don’t see any way Diego takes this.

• “I mean, if Diego actually WANTED to grapple in his last two fights, he probably would’ve finished them.. BUT, his urge to box won him controversial (IMO) decisions.”

Nothing controversial about it besides the fact that Sanchez should have won the unanimous decision against Guida.

• moosebaby02 says:

I hate both of these guys so I will have to go with BJ. At least he wants to take on bigger guys. Diego said himself the only reason he dropped down is because Ken Flo was tearing it up at 155 and Diego beat him already so he dropped down to be the bigger guy and bully everyone around. But he couldn’t even do it against Clay. Diego is a little bitch and does not deserve a title shot before Maynard. Sorry MMA GODS BUT GO BJ GO (that hurts the deepest part of my soul)

• Jstew3785 says:

To me there is no clear cut contender at 155 since Kenny lost. You could make a case for Diego, Maynard, Edgar, etc.

• edub says:

Nothing controversial about it besides the fact that Sanchez should have won the unanimous decision against Guida”

Completely agree.

• davebo says:

Diego REALLY doesn’t stand a chance. He isn’t better than Penn in any facet of the game with the exception of cardio. But at 155, BJs cardio is fine. I literally see no way that Diego could possibly win this fight. The only thing I’m curious to see is if he gets finished…I’m predicting RNC for BJ per usual.

• Rich S. says:

“He thoroughly dominated Stevenson AND Guida, despite what the scorecards on the latter read.”

I can understand if you felt he won those fights, but dominated? I don’t see how you could think he ‘dominated’ those fights..

He was on his back half of the 2nd and all of the 3rd against Guida WITHOUT attempting any submissions.. Sure, he came out and destroyed Guida early on, but he slowed down, and let Guida control the pace late in the fight, and I really thought Guida might win by the time the fight was over..

The Stevenson fight was a bit more clear, but again, I seriously thought Stevenson might steal it by the time the final bell rang..

Diego controlled the striking AND the ground work early on, but like the Guida fight, he started to slow down a bit late in the 2nd and throughout the 3rd.. I saw Joe start his comeback in the 2nd round, and win the 3rd round..

Maybe I need to go back and watch those again, but I thought those were very close fights..

• Guida did little to no damage while on top. Sanchez didn’t attempt any subs, no, he was too busy elbowing the shit out of Guida’s face and putting on a clinic on how to inflict damage from the bottom.

• edub says:

“Guida did little to no damage while on top. Sanchez didn’t attempt any subs, no, he was too busy elbowing the shit out of Guida’s face and putting on a clinic on how to inflict damage from the bottom.”

Again… I agree.

• Rich S. says:

• edub says:

“Yeah, Guida didn’t do that much damage while on top, that’s for sure.. But does he ever? And he still wins his fights.. So, maybe that’s what led me to believe he might win.. Because, let’s be honest, most of the time, the guy on top is the guy that’s winning in the judges’ eyes..”

I do agree here but I feel the damage factor was so wide spread in this fight that it would have in fact been a robbery for Clay to win. Clay usually does more damage than that on the top and he also looking to pass. He just pretty much laid in his guard and threw the occasional elbow and punches.

• “Because, let’s be honest, most of the time, the guy on top is the guy that’s winning in the judges’ eyes..”

And that sucks.

What made it suck even more during the Sanchez/Guida fight is that Sanchez was CLEARLY the most active of the two, despite being on the bottom.

• Rich S. says:

Yeah, it’s really a shame that, because of the way judges see the fight, a fighter has to try to get to his feet, rather than do damage from the bottom.. More and more these days we see fighters throwing strong punches and elbows from the bottom, and countless submission attempts, then losing because the guy on top had “control”..

I think Curran/Mizugaki was the most recent fight in which we saw this.. Curran was on bottom, but every time Mizugaki lifted his head he got punched.. and ANY TIME a submission or pass presented itself Curran took it.. But, since Mizugaki was on top, he won..

Eh, then again, if you can’t do what needs to be done to win, you don’t win I guess..

• edub says:

“I think Curran/Mizugaki was the most recent fight in which we saw this.. Curran was on bottom, but every time Mizugaki lifted his head he got punched.. and ANY TIME a submission or pass presented itself Curran took it.. But, since Mizugaki was on top, he won”

I really felt for Jeff after he lost that decision. Does more damage and ending a fight with your opponent trapped in a triangle should definately get you the win in my book.

• nope says:

My wife asked “who won that fight?” I said “with out a Doubt, Curran.” He got ripped off.