Spike TV will air UFC 103 prelims free of charge

297px-spike_logosvgIn addition to the PPV event, the UFC has turned it up a notch with UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort, going head to head with HBO’s PPV Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19th.

Spike TV has officially announced it will broadcast some of the undercard, commercial free, leading up to the pay-per-view telecast. The UFC 103 telecast live from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, will mark the first time Spike TV will air a fight card without commercial interruption.

The preliminary bouts scheduled to take place, live on Spike, include former “The Ultimate Fighter” cast members Efrain Escudero (11-0) vs. Cole Miller (15-3). Escudero earned his first official win in the UFC, by defeating Phillipe Nover by unanimous decision during the main event of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir Finale, while Cole Miller is coming off first round submission of TUF alumni, Junie Browning.

Also scheduled is Tomasz Drwal (16-2-1) vs. Drew McFedries (8-5). Drwal is coming off a two fight win streak, while the hard hitting McFedries is coming off an impressive TKO victory of Xavier Foupa-Pokam.

It will be interesting to see how the UFC does against the PPV giant that is Floyd Mayweather Jr. He has been quite the draw in his last two fights, earning victories over Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton.

Before his May 2007 fight with De La Hoya, Mayweather criticized the UFC, stating that any quality boxer could easily become the champion and that, while boxing is an art, UFC was a temporary fad.

I wonder what Larry Merchant will say?

• metalmulisha says:

I’m not going to be ordering this UFC PPV because of the Mayweather fight, but getting to see the Drwal/McFedries fight which should be a brawl is definitely a welcomed bonus.

• twyg says:

This is a great move my only question is can the UFC please do this from now on? I don’t expect commercial free every time but some prelims to lead into the PPV would be nice. I also think that thsi could help sell more PPVs, because the casual fan who might not know the date of every PPV will catch this and then might spring for the PPV. I know they are doing this to counter program the boxing match (which I have money on but won’t be watching), but it would be a nice treat to the fans to give us something for free every time. P.S. If they are doing this to boxing can’t wait to see what they do for Fedors first Strikeforce fight.

• twyg says:

this, soory

• egad81 says:

I plan to watch the UFC at the local bar or the internet and the mayweather fight will be on HBO a week after it airs so I am not wasting the money anymore.
    If the SPIKE portion of the UFC is really really good I may order it

• Hohlraum says:

If ufc did this everytime i would consider buying every PPV event. 55 bucks for 5 fights is not cool but i’d support them if they start air all the fights like this.

• cocoonofhorror says:

they will show 2 fights, hardly an epic giveaway. actually more of a joke.

• hindsightufuk says:

seems odd that a TUF winner would be on the undercard? sounds like this has been planned and not decided on a wim?

• nope says:

Good strategy. What else is Spike going to be airing anyway? The 8th episode of CSI for that day, Star wars, or some shitty Segal movie? This will get better ratings than any of them. Should be done for every UFC.

Side note. Does anyone that has Comcast get it Live in HD?

• fanoftna33 says:

I am looking forward to seeing Efrain fight, and Miller is a quality opponent and much taller so it should be good. Mcfederies is a beast but has never won back to back fights in the ufc so I would go with Drawl.

• CMT says:

I hope they show more than 2 fights. This would be a good way to start PPV events. Anyway free UFC is good UFC. Thanks Jewish media moguls.

• twyg says:

If it is only two fights that is kinda weak, but I for one am not have learned not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Besides hopefully they will air some of the others after main card with remaining time (I know I am dreaming).

• Angry Mike says:

UFC should have done this a long time ago.

@nope: I was a Comcast customer until mid June. I couldn’t get the High def broadcast. I switched to Direct TV, and I can get it. Satellite’s not perfect, but you can also get HDNet, which broadcasts Dream, Sengoku (sp?), K-1, M-1 and Inside MMA. Well worth the hassle of switching, imo.

• nope says:

mike, i have HDNet on Comcast channel 760ish. No HD UFC pay-per-view. it fuckin kills me.

• Angry Mike says:

Really? I couldn’t get HDNet on Comcast and bitched about it all the freakin’ time. Hell, I even got tired of listening to myself complain about it. The service reps told me they didn’t carry it and didn’t plan to add it any time soon. Did they add it recently?