From Outlawed To Mainstream: Is MMA following in Nascar’s footsteps?

NascarU.S. President Barack Obama held an interview about Nascar on Wednesday afternoon, and it made me think, could one day MMA find its way into the White House? Could one day, a future President of the United States endorse and embrace this sport of ours?

Presidents from the beginning have been involved in sports, in one way or another. From Abraham Lincoln, who if you’ve ever seen the goofy candy commercials, was an avid wrestling fan (oh it’s true, it’s true, look it up), to numerous Presidents throwing out the first pitch in baseball games. America has even had one former president who owned a baseball team, prior to his election.

So again, is it possible that one day MMA will be accepted and acknowledged by the most powerful man in America?

Wednesday, President Obama called Nascar a “uniquely American sport”. I personally am taking this as a step in the right direction for MMA.

Hear me out.

Nascar started through bootleggers during prohibition, increasing their automobiles power, in an effort to outrun the cops. Then one day, they thought it would be fun to race each others cars, and the rest is history.

The parallels between MMA and Nascar may seem far-fetched at first, but if you look at both sports beginnings, they are somewhat similar. Both outlawed by police, both deemed only for a “certain demographic”, and both took years to break into the mainstream.

Today MMA is at its highest peak ever and it continues to grow in popularity. No longer is MMA strictly for beer chugging “Just Bleed” idiots it used to attract. Although these guys may still be there (we’ve all been to an event and seen them), its also for people who have come to appreciate it for the competitive sport that it is. This is largely in part of the marketing done to break the stereotypes given from its infancy, but also from promoters like Dana White and Scott Coker who continue to bring this sport into the mainstream.

If Nascar, which has been around way longer than MMA as we know it today, can be at the doorsteps of the White House, is it not at least a valid question to ask that MMA could be too? Couldn’t MMA also be considered a “uniquely American sport”?

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part……….

• metalmulisha says:

Those beer guzzling idiots are in high numbers still at MMA events, and at every single other sporting event I’ve ever been to.

That’s not going to stop until the day they stop serving alcohol at sporting events. Which is never going to happen because there is to much money at stake.

I myself can’t imagine going to a sporting event and getting drunk and considering that a good time. Yeah I’ve had a beer or two at MMA events, and football games I’ve been to but I don’t get the people who show up and their point of being there isn’t for the event it’s to get out and drink.

That’s a whole other discussion though. Not on MMA’s fanbase but society in general. But these people make sporting events and even going to the movies now a hassle sometimes instead of being a great experience.

• edub says:

^ You Wuss. hahahah!

• Jstew3785 says:

I don’t get the appeal of nascar at all. What is so exciting about 4 left turns. Mix in a right every now and then. And I am from Texas, where Nascar is supposedly popular. NASCAR- Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

• metalmulisha says:

I didn’t expect a lot of people to agree with my post honestly because there are so many of these annoying drunks around that some of the posters here have to be in that group, but I really didn’t think someone would waste time with a dumb joke in reply.

Seriously get out and deal with these people that make you reach your breaking point and tell me that it’s a big fucking joke. It’s not.

There’s a time when you can be funny but you have to know when to pick your spots. This isn’t an issue to bring levity to.

• edub says:

Yes it is man. You gotta learn let things go bro. Alcohol is everywhere and alcoholics(whether casual, functioning or not) are always going to be around.

Ive been jumped 4 times in my life all having to do with alcohol related situations.(2 were at football games). All you can do is let it roll off your back because NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.

I picked my spot wisely man trust me. Hopefully youll heed these words.. If you dont give a shit than its not annoying. Your wound up to tight man.

And I thought it was a hilarious joke myself.

• xtreme_machine says:

good article dude

• BigDave says:

Good article but comparing MMA to Nascar is putting mma a step backwards if you ask me. MMA is the fastest rising sport on the planet where as almost anyone living outside of north america couldn’t even name a nascar driver. As for the president thing who cares what a polatician has to say Obamas a crook just like every other politician on this planet. But I digress MMA in my opinion has already far surpassed anything that Nascar could ever or will ever acheive.

• JollyDV says:

• GassedOut says:

Actually, I thought your thinking was A-1. I did have one minore objection to your wishing for MMA to be called a “uniquely American sport.” Two words: Vale Tudo. Or three words: Georges St. Pierre. (I work with his cousin.) Other than that, I think you’re right on.

• “There is nothing worse than a sloppy drunk (who just happens to sit near me) yelling all thru the fights, the wrong thing, ex. the guy has a kimora locked in and the guys yelling RNC,RNC, you just want to say sit down, but not worth the risk of their wrath.”

You better hope we’re not sitting close to each other at FN19. That’s me to a tee.

• Jstew3785 says:

Do I detect a little sarcasm Sergio?

• None. At all.

Okay, some a little.

Or a lot.

I hate those drunk guys. I usually ignore them until their A) hands or B) beer get on me. Then it’s on like Donkey Kong.

• Jstew3785 says:

My thoughts exactly. I usually go to Buffalo Wild Wings if I don’t order them and it is full of drunk idiots that blow smoke in your face all night. Unless I drive to Addison and go to a sports bar with my bro, I have to deal with that shit. It really sucked when he was in Iraq.

• moosebaby02 says:

im so lucky i have a wife who loves mma and lets me get it at home with a few and i mean a few choosen friends.
    as for the article im with GassedOut. Being from O’Canada myself and a GSP fan as well MMA seems like a a whole world thing to me

• twyg says:

I hate NASCAR and all of its redneck fans, though they are probably MMA fans as well and it would be intesting to hear which they would give up first. MMA has come a lot farther in a shorter period of time IMO. NASCAR will be nothing more at then at best a US sport and at worst (or best for me and NASCAR haters) a regional (southern) sport. Despite what haters like Michael Wilbon and other old men who still adore the old, corrupt, scandel plagued, athlete killing sport of boxing think, MMA is exciting, clean, more technical then the “sweet science”, safe, and taking over the world. Compared to MMA, NASCAR is a minor sport that has already reached its apex.

• nope says:

Gassed out works w/ GSP’s cousin. LOL

• mu_shin says:

Read that NASCAR had revenues over $3 billion in 2008, and that was down from their peak in 2005. If MMA can follow NASCAR into that financial stratosphere, it could be great for us as fans, and would hopefully benefit the athletes that make the sport we enjoy possible.

President Obama defiitely seems like a sports guy, and I’d bet if you could seperate him from his politically correct persona and have a couple Bud Lights with him, he’d sit down and appreciate a good MMA bout.

• Josh_Kahn says:

I think that MMA is going to be niche for a long time, nothing bigger than boxing. Appreciation for it is either too nuanced, or a spill-over from pro wrestling.

I don’t think Obama is a sports guy. He was clueless at the All-Star game. He probably would like to ration their care, though.

• s00nertp says:

I dunno, how followed is NASCAR internationally? In America, sure I want MMA to follow the same path.

But to be honest, I want it to be the most global sport (though I doubt it would surpass soccer or tennis (which I think most closely resembles MMA).