Spike TV touts UFC 100 Ratings Success (UPDATED)

spike_tvIt should come as no surprise that the replay of UFC 100 on Spike TV drew a considerable larger amount of viewers than “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” this past Saturday evening.

Of course, the premium cable network Showtime has just under a sixth of the viewers that the basic cable network Spike TV currently has, with Showtime bringing in 15 million viewers while Spike tips off right around the 98 million mark.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was able to confirm through Spike TV that “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” averaged right around 575,000 viewers while the UFC 100 replay on Spike teetered right around 2 million total in-home spectators.

However, sources within the cable television industry have also commented to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that it is believed that Showtime’s telecast of “Carano vs. Cyborg” peaked at 2.9% of its available viewing audience compared to 1.5% of Spike TV’s available audience. The 575,000 total viewers on Showtime also represents the largest amount of viewers to ever watch a mixed martial arts telecast in the network’s history.

A victory in total numbers for the UFC, but also a victory to some degree for Strikeforce being that the UFC 100 replay drew four times the viewership that the Strikeforce event did, but it was also available in six times the total homes.

UFC 100 featured a main event between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir while the Strikeforce card took a chance featuring two females in the main event of a major broadcast for the first time, pitting Gina Carano up against Cris “Cyborg” Santos.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated at 5:26 p.m. ET to reflect new information concerning percentage of homes each telecast was viewed in as well as “Carano vs. Cyborg” establishing a viewership record for MMA on Showtime.

• roshambo says:

For a specialty channel like Showtime that not a lot of people have I would say that is a pretty decent viewership. That is about twice the number of people Affliction had watching it’s PPV’s isn’t it? I will be curious to see where their numbers will go from here. I watched UFC100 when it aired so I didn’t have much interest in seeing it again although I did DVR it to watch the Jon Jones fight as I had not seen that one.

The other thing I wonder is that with all the counter programing the UFC has done in the last year or two to counter Affliction events etc, you have to wonder how much worth while programing the UFC will have to continue counter programing these events. They already showed 100 and that was only a month ago. If they continue that trend, In these tight times I would almost contemplate not buying the UFC PPV’s if I know they are going to be shown for free only a month later. Everyone is looking for ways to save money these days. While the UFC is trying to hurt Strikeforces bottom line, if they continue to broadcast their blockbuster PPV’s a month after the original air date I wonder what effect it will have on the UFC’s bottom line.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Honestly I have Showtime and I watched Strikeforce and flipped back to UFC 100 between matches because a few of my buddies didnt get to see UFC 100 the first time around.

I agree with you that UFC rebroadcasting is going to make me stop buying the live PPV.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think from now on I will only buy the better ufc ppv events. Why buy them all when you never know which ones they will decide to give all of us for free after we paid for it.

• sigmund says:

DVR is gonna kill this tactic. I know i recorded ufc while watching strikeforce and while reading this article and a couple of others I’ve noticed a few more people who’ve done this. also with the possible PPV decline zuffa better pick their moves carefully, but I’m sure they have lots of high paid suits that know a lot more then i do about this type of shit then i do to figure this out. seems like a reasonable theory to me though.

• Really, the PPV would have to replay for free the next day for me to consider not ordering it.

Watching live MMA two to three times a month has become such a staple in my life, it’d be weird to be without it.

• Scott H. says:

I’m not sure what the end result is, but I’m pretty sure if the UFC is doing it, they think it’s working. Could they lose some pay per view buy’s? Maybe. For all we know though, they might be gaining 10x as many casual fans who saw it on free TV, and thought… wow, this is great, I’m going to buy UFC 102 on PPV. “We” are not typically fans and viewers, I don’t know if alot can be judged based on us. Net/net, I think if PPV buy’s continue to be strong, we’ll continue to see more of this.

I’m personally hoping for a live free event on Spike to counter program Fedor… the more free MMA, the better.

I’m still doing okay money wise, and will continue to order the PPV’s… but if money was a little tighter, I’d be thinking about only watching the free TV.

• moosebaby02 says:

I didnt get to see the strikeforce on Saturday cause I don’t get Showtime in Canada so i flipped between UFC 100 and pre season football. the thing is this yes they replayed SOME of UFC 100 not all of it. no GSP vs Alves or the Fitch fight as well unless I missed it while flipping but I doubt it. So people not ordering it Live PPV’s still wont get to see everything that happened already. And who really wants to watch something that they already know the results off. I still be watching Live UFC’s PPV’s without a worry that it might be aired a few months on live tv. Hell I watched all the strikeforce on youtube anyways so I didn’t miss anything and I knew the results as well.
    there is no better way to watch MMA then live. Im with you Sergio

• edub says:

Agreed fully Sergio.

• hindsightufuk says:

personally i download as much mma as i can, new or old i dont care. i watch it any chance i get. Anything and everything. being from the UK i get no live mma at all apart from a few local shows i go to, so i scour the internet and watch the lot. I aint gonna miss out on anything