Bellator Fighting Championships Postpones Second Season

BellatorBellator Fighting Championships will postpone their second season from the previously announced date of October, to January of 2010.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently been able to confirm the news of the promotion pushing back the date of their second season through sources close to the event.

The reason given for the postponement is that Bellator is currently trying to finalize negotiations with a new television partner.

Previous rumors had been circulating that the promotion would possibly be moving from ESPN Deportes to either ESPN, or ESPN2. FiveOuncesOfPain.com will continue to keep you updated on any news concerning Bellator’s new television deal as it becomes available.

The inaugural season of Bellator Fighting Championships began airing on April 4, 2009 and featured tournaments in the featherweight, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight divisions.

• ace328 says:

I hope this is to move them to a bigger platform and not them being short of funds or other support.

• TURKISH says:

I think they’re done.

Their were some great fights, but I had to see them all on Youtube because I had no interest ordering a Spanish only ESPN network and in order to get ESPN Deportes from my cable company you had to order a Spanish language package.

A shame for the fighters though because those tournament winners got a nice chuck of cash.

• dpk says:

My first thought is that this isn’t good for Bellator, they are going to lose some of the momentum that the first season built. For Bellators sake I hope it is a bigger TV deal like ESPN or ESPN 2. I wonder if Soto, Alverez, Good, and Lombard are free to fight for other organizations this fall.

• dpk says:

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully they do move to espn2 that way many more people can acually watch them.

• vonkrieger says:

I don’t think they are going anywhere just yet. They are backed by ESPN by way of ABC by way of the Disney Corp. I think Desportes was their testing ground and did very well for the limited viewership. I hope they move to ESPN or ESPN2 and keep them at a Friday night Primetime spot perfect for a night at the bar with live fights!!!

• Hohlraum says:

• vonkrieger says:

Hmm… Forgot about that UK deal. Interesting… The Monopoly strikes again!!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Hohlraum– “I’m going to say neither. I think that ESPN told them to get lost so that they can make a deal with the UFC here in the US (as well as the deal they made with ESPN UK).”

Ooooo, NOW it’s going to start getting interesting!

My only question is ESPN considered cable or a regular channel? I thought Spike had an agreement that they could be the only network on cable to work with the UFC?

Maybe I’m wrong. I’d like to know though. Personally, I’d like to see UFC go to NBC, which seems to be a lot more forgiving than Disney’s ABC

• metalmulisha says:

Well if ESPN 2 is going to be a future home for Bellator moving the second season to January 2010 from October of this year makes sense since Friday nights are college football nights on ESPN 2.

But at the same time I would be leaning to the notion that Bellator’s first season as a promotion was their last.

• I never got a chance to watch this as ESPN Deportes was on the Spanish language tier on my cable and I was already paying for HD plus the HD tier to get HDNet, two tiers just to get Versus, AND Showtime.

• dpk says:

Spike’s deal with UFC would cover ESPN, and ESPN2. The only networks are CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX. The thing is, that ESPN is the brand that does sports on ABC. All sports on ABC or labeled ESPN on ABC. The fact that ESPN is working with UFC in the UK is not a good sign for Bellator.

• edub says:

“Turkish, If they are done, then there are some good free agents up for grabs. All of their Champs could roll right into WEC/UFC.”

I think Alvarez could roll into the UFC and beat a few people, and Lombard was supposed to be with the company a while back. But… I really dont think Lyman goode would beat anyone good. ha.

Great point

• moosebaby02 says:

dpk ” If they are done, then there are some good free agents up for grabs. All of their Champs could roll right into WEC/UFC.”
    you also meant strikforce as well right? you wouldnt want to be labeled as a UFC/WEC Zuffa nutthuger would ya? lol sorry i had to throw that in there

• shotokai_ says:

Bye Bye Bellator.

• dpk says:

Moosebaby02 – good point. just when I think of those guys, and where they would fit, Zuffa comes to mind first. Of course Strikeforce would have good fights for all of those guys, but lets face it Bellator has some quality talent at the very top of their weight classes.

To break it down, and play everybody’s favorite “what if” game
    Soto – Of the champions, I think he would be the farthest from a title shot in WEC. He would probably need at least 3 wins to get a title shot. I could see him fighting Cub Swanson or Gamburyan right away
    Alverez – If he signed with UFC he would probably fight KenFlo or Sherk in his first fight, and if he won, then he would probably get a title shot in his second fight. He would also have good fights with Thompson and Melendez in SF.
    Good – An undefeated, solid prospect. I think he would be in a similar situation to Soto, probably 3 wins away from serious contention. I could see him fighting Lytle or Davis right of the bat.
    Lombard – if he was a free agent, I would some serious options for him. SF has signed some quality MWs, it would be interesting to see him against Benji or Smith. If he came over to UfC a fight with Bisping or Belcher

• […] the recent announcement of Bellator Fighting Championships pushing their second season back to January of 2010, Bellator […]

• Jak says:

That’s a shame… in it’s short time, Bellator had already made some crazy highlight reels…

Hopefully they will be back, but i’m not holding my breath…