Vladimir Matyushenko to return to the UFC

vladimir-matyushenkoThe UFC announced today that they had re-signed former IFL Light Heavyweight Champion Vladimir Matyushenko (22-4).

Matyushenko will be taking on Igor Pokrajac on the undercard of UFC 103, live from Dallas, Texas.

Matyushenko, considered one of the top light heavyweights in the world, last appeared in the Octagon at UFC 44 in a loss against Andre Arlovski. Since leaving the UFC six years ago, Matyushenko has gone 9-1 with his only loss coming in a rematch against Antonio Rodgerio Noguiera .

His opponent, Pokrajac (21-5), known for being Cro-Cop’s main sparring partner, is currently riding a eight fight winning streak.

UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort is scheduled to air live on September 19th, 2009 from the American Airlines Center. The card, which will air head to head against boxing superfight Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, has already confirmed Cro Cop vs. Junior Dos Santos, Josh Koscheck against Frank Trigg, and Mike Swick taking on Martin Kampmann with a future title fight on the line.

• dpk says:

Will he ever fight for the UFC title? no. But this is a really good pick up for UFC. This guy is a top 15 LHW, and will be a very good gate keeper. I could see him fighting Luis Cane or Jon Jones later this year or early next year. I don’t really know anything about Pokrajac, but he seems to be on a good win streak so it could be an interesting fight.

• twyg says:

Another solid signing by Dana. Sounds like it will be an interesting fight, but I don’t really know much about the other fighter. I like the fights mentioned above, I would add winner of Tito/Coleman or loser of Rampage/Evans into the mix. Brandon Vera would be interesting as well.

• JollyDV says:

Seems like we will get a look at the good prospects in this fight.

• hindsightufuk says:

have to say he looked pretty awful in his last fight with Nog

• Batman says:

Why doesn’t the UFC sign Antonio Rodgerio Noguiera? Isn’t he worthy enough of a fighter. I never understood why he isn’t in the UFC.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That’s one I never understood either. He’s pretty much beaten a who’s who of MMA. 17-3 is a great record. Maybe cause his last fight he lost was to Sokoudjou? Even with that though, he’s on a five fight win streak, not having been defeated since 07. I think he’d make a GREAT addition to the roster.

• hindsightufuk says:

Little Nog would be awesome in the UFC.
    Personally dont care where he fights i just wanna see him fight more often.
    I’m surprised no one has picked him up

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dennis Hallman just got signed to a new 4 fight deal with the UFC. Hmmm? Hughes has 2 losses to Hallman. I see a 3rd fight in the near future, maybe Hughes final. I’m sure he would like to avenge those 2 losses. Also, I see an interesting 3 fights coming–

Dennis Hallman = Matt Hughes’ Kryptonite (lost twice) – two subs in under 37 seconds
    Matt Hughes = Frank Trigg’s Kryptonite (lost twice) – both RNCs in rd 1
    Frank Trigg = Dennis Hallman’s Kryptonite (lost twice) – both TKOs in rd 1

• fanoftna33 says:

I cant wait for the janitor to get back in the cage, although he has had a lot of down time, hopefully this isnt a case of one and done, if he doesnt look great his first fight, hopefully they still let him fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

You never know.

They just cut Thales Leites as well. He was on a 5 fight streak before dropping 2 in a row. Maybe his performance against Silva left a bad taste in their mouths? I don’t know.

He’ll be a good addition to SF’s roster though.

• fanoftna33 says:

I just read about Leitas, even though I dont really like his fights there is quite a few more deserving to be dropped than he is. Guys who really try to win fights like Jason Macdonald are gone but they just now let Thales go?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Agreed.

There are MAJOR overhauls going on on the UFC roster right now. Only thing I can think of is the addition of more fighters.

Hell, look at UFC 104. Not a SINGLE FIGHT is even official yet, not even the LHW title fight. I think there are major changes coming. It’s gonna get real interesting

• Jstew3785 says:

That surprises me that they let Thales go. Even Dana said he thought he won the fight against Sakara. I guess they are trimming the fat so to speak to make room for the new fighters they are brining in.

• fanoftna33 says:

Wit the ufc cutting guys with two losses like this you would think it would make some of the lower card fighters fight even harder knowing that they arnt exactly safe anymore. Mac Danzig has three loses in a row to three veery good talents but not three top guys and he is safe, Thales lost to the best fighter in the world, then a close decision to a middle of the pack guy, I dont get this.

• meatloaf says:

ozz_the_powerful says:
    “Here’s an interesting side note guys, of which most of you probably know by now.

Matt Hughes = Frank Trigg’s Kryptonite (lost twice) – both RNCs in rd 1
    Frank Trigg = Dennis Hallman’s Kryptonite (lost twice) – both TKOs in rd 1

I think these fights are not necessarily worth anything, but could be very entertaining to say the least.”

Oh my god I found a guy who’s interested in a Dennis Hallman return!

Let’s see they let go young guys with a lot of ability in McCrory and Leites one of which just fought for the 185lb. belt and then in turn they sign older guys past their prime like Hallman and Matyshenko.
    One fighter in Hallman who was never really that good and recently came back from a 1 year suspension and another in Vlady who looked just dreadful in his last fight and is pushing 40.

I can’t believe people are trying to make sense of these roster moves because they’re senseless.

• dpk says:

I heard that UFC is looking at Lil Nog, and that it could happen by the end of the year. Hopefully it happens after Nog’s September fight in Brazil.

I’m a little surprised at Leites getting cut, but they handed him a pure striker in Sakara to come back after loss to Anderson, and he couldn’t get him submitted. He is probably 1 or 2 fights from being invited back. He would be interesting in Dream, strikeforce, or Bellator.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t think it makes ANY sense. I don’t see the reason, and I’m still pretty steamed they let McCrory go.

Since it IS the case though, these are the potential matchups I see in the future.

I still don’t agree with the 2 recent cuts though.

• fanoftna33 says:

Little Nog could shake things up If he can adjust to a cage as well as his brother.

• s13 says:

I think that Thales should have been let go immediately after (maybe even during) the anderson silva fight. He clearly is a coward and yes I would tell him to his face. I wouldn’t tell him that because of his cowardess confirmation bout with anderson, i would call him a coward for his antics after the marquart fight. Its clear that Nate owned him, he said he would rematch nate, but when he was contacted to set up the fight, he declined and didn’t want to fight Nate…gee I wonder why….go watch the fight for yourself and you’ll see he didn’t deserve that title shot. Nate said it best in the pre-fight interview before he beat up on Martin Kampman. I’m glad he’s out and hope he doesn’t return. Anyone else notice how Thales took a page out of Vitor’s book when he repeatedly took the missionary position vs sakuraba?

• meatloaf says:

s13 A professional Cage fighter fighting at the highest level a coward.

OK go back to whatever it is you were ingesting to make you babble like that whiskey, tequila, crack whatever.

• fanoftna33 says:

Nate has seemed to have found a new very aggressive side since his loss to Silva, and I belive he won the Leitas fight also. If he beats Maia(not a given but very probable) I would like to see a rematch with Silva.

• moosebaby02 says:

I read Dana saying Leites needed a huge performance to keep his stature in the UFC. I guess a split decscion wasnt enough but I can see why. He should have won that fight with Sakara only cause he is on a different level as Sakara. As for the barn cat I have know idea why but it’s the UFC and they have been doing what they have been doing for a while so who’s am I to question about it. The only thing I see form them cutting McCrory is that it will give him some fights somewhere else to get his shit together for an invite not to long down the road. He is still a young stud so there is time. I agree with meatloaf. None of it makes sense to me but what do I know. Hopefully its to bring in some surprise fighters that will knock all are socks off, but who is really out there

• Seriously, everyone stop freaking crying about McCrory getting released.

The dude is 3-3 in the UFC! YES, he is young and YES, he has a ton of potential but it’s obvious that if he is not ready for the level of competition the UFC offers if he’s dropping every other fight.

The cream always rises to the top and if he lives up to all the potential he has, he WILL be back in the UFC. Why is that so hard to understand???

• moosebaby02 says:

like i stated
    “The only thing I see form them cutting McCrory is that it will give him some fights somewhere else to get his shit together for an invite not to long down the road. He is still a young stud so there is time.”
    if thats crying then sorry.
    im pretty sure the general statement that got this whole thing started was there are better candidates to get cut instead of him.

• Who is a better candidate?

• moosebaby02 says:

hmmm how bout a 2-2 in the UFC (and i will get blasted but) overrated CB Dalloway. They seemed to hype him up to the next big thing but to me and IN MY OPION a disappointment. There is more but that all that is coming up in my head right now.

• moosebaby02 says:

Junie Browning is a waste of time. he dosent have it to be in the UFC right now

• moosebaby02 says:

has Mac Danzig been cut yet????? i beleive he has lost 3 in a row

• Dollaway and Junie each only have one loss in the UFC. Two if you count Dollaway’s TUF Finale loss but really in my mind, that’s still a part of the in-house competition.

Danzig should either get cut or cut to 145 but he’s got TUF rub all over him so he likely won’t get the axe.

Of these three, Danzig most closely qualifies as a better candidate to get cut over McCrory but the same argument that most are using FOR McCrory… the “he’s got so much potential, he’s a stud” can be used for Danzig.

McCrory – Young, not that great of a UFC record, fighting outside his ideal weight class
    Danzig – Experience, not that great of a UFC record, fighting outside his ideal weight class, TUF winner

• s13 says:

Ok meatloaf, i was trying to avoid a flame war but attacking me is just stupid. the man is a coward. just because you turn ‘pro’ in a sport doesn’t make you exempt to FEAR. If you can’t see that by looking at his fight with anderson, then the comment wasn’t geared toward you, it was geared toward those with common sense…and no i just don’t ‘talk’. I’m currently healing from an injury and I’ll be making my cage debut in another year (it was going to be in february of 2010 but I shattered my tibia this past april 23rd). I’m 6’6 1/2 and walk around at 200 so I’ll be starting out in middle weight. My background is boxing (since i was 15), muay thai and bjj. Doesn’t matter what level you fight at, to say that no one has any fear of someone else at the ‘highlest’ level is stupid, the fight speaks for itself.

• moosebaby02 says:

my point with Junie i guess is i believe he is only there for everyone well most people who i know wants to see him get KTFO.
    Dollaway has two cause the final was 3 rounds and 3 if you count the semi to get to the final where i will agree with that it being a in-house competition.
    Danzig’s winning tuff is a little over rated since he was clearly the best one in the house with the most experiance. him moving down to 145lbs would be better for him. why he hasnt done it is baffeling to me.
    McCroy is fighting out of his weight class. its like he has something to prove to himself or something.
    we can go through the UFC roster all night and never get to really prove our point. I guess i have a love for the barn cat. I love the UFC but there a things that i will never get with them.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

*Ouch* @ shattered tibia

• moosebaby02 says:

god i should prove read my shit

• s13 says:

Another thing…if you are an MMA purist you can vouch for this statement. I’m not even going to give specific examples but has anyone else noticed the following:

When a fighter gets a shot at another highly touted fighter and they use the mantra “everyone is human, im not scared of him, he’s a man like me, i know i can beat him” that the person making that statement usually gets wrecked. Its because its an old psychological ‘self motivation’ tactic used for hundreds of years throughout the history of fighting to psych yourself into believing just that. If you do it too much, you actually set yourself up for a huge embarrasment or a crappy performance (cough thales / anderson – and possibly silvia vs fedor). The man was scared, you could tell in all his interviews and how TIMID he was in the fight (note: timid does not equal CAUTION). I figured I’d add that definition just in case to break it down for our readers who aren’t that bright…I won’t say any names though.

• s13 says:

…and now that the morons have been properly addressed, lets move on shall we? Now about the losses and being cut from the ufc. I could see why the UFC cut tamden but I could also see why they would keep him if they didn’t let him go. He IS young and that fight wasn’t that exciting with howard. He also has a 3-3 record in the ufc. Makes you wonder why wandy is still around right? I’ll tell you why. He’s EXCITING IN WINS AND LOSSES. Every one of his fights in the UFC have either been fight of the night, or knock out of the night (going both ways unfortunately since im a HUGE silva fan). I don’t care how many he loses in a row, EVERYONE wants to see him fight because they know exactly what they’re going to get…a guy that will always fight to win and not survive out of FEAR because he’s SCARED (Gee I wonder what UFC bjj specialist that was recently let go after losing to Alessio Sakara at UFC 101 that could be…HMMM).

• ozz_the_powerful says:

All I know is there is a massive construction effort going on from within and I’d like to know what they have planned in the not so distant future.

• fanoftna33 says:

They have been trimming the roster for quite a while, just slowly. Remember they let Marcus Arillio go a while ago he left and got a win or two so now he is back. Thats what they do with young fighters with lots of potentian(they did it with Cote also) Get them some more experience with fighters of thier own level.

• s13 says:

The UFC can eliminate strikeforce if they want to….they only have to take the ‘niche’ market from them. Elite XC had the ‘niche’ market and now SF has it…know what it is??? FEMALE MMA. If the UFC opened the doors on FMMA, Carano and everyone else would jump ship. How fitting would it be to lay the blueprint for the division now only to announce it right before the last fight on her contract with SF is up? Dana isn’t stupid. He’s going to wait and see how Carano / Cyborg plays out, then decide after that. If they do it, the women will flock in droves to the UFC and the rejected ones will still have a home in SF…Mark my words, the UFC embracing FMMA will be the nail in the coffin for SF….but don’t get me wrong, I love both promotions.

• I got nothing but love for The Barn Cat too but I completely understand him getting cut.

He’ll be back, rest assured.

• metalmulisha says:

s13 you seriously need to calm down.

Maybe you’d feel better if you forgot about UFC 97.

And calling someone else stupid when you put something as stupid as yes I’d call him a coward to his face is completely asinine.

Grow up and trust me nobody gives s shit how big you are.

• moosebaby02 says:

oh i have no doubt he will be back as well Sergio. Like i stated “it’s the UFC and they have been doing what they have been doing for a while so who’s am I to question about it.”
    wow we didnt have to call each other names

• “wow we didnt have to call each other names”

We actually didn’t.

The harshest it got was me saying that everyone needs to stop crying.

It stays pretty civil ’round dees parts.

• Jstew3785 says:

I think moose was talking about the other 2 who were calling each other names, not you Sergio

• Jstew, you’re a jerk!

Dammit, I was doing so well… =)

• nope says:

Thanx for the resume s13. I’ll keep that in mind when I start my new promotion in two years. lol

• moosebaby02 says:

haha lol

• fanoftna33 says:

tahts funny NOPE

• edub says:

Damn theres a lot of hate goin on here right now.

• Jstew3785 says:

It’s the annual player haters ball.

• moosebaby02 says:

ha ha another funny

• Jstew3785 says:

I hate you, I hate you… I don’t even know you, and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only you.

• edub says:

“Well I gotta get goin I gotta go put water in Bucknasty’s mothers dish.”

• Jstew3785 says:

hahahahaha. I was hoping someone would follow me. You’re suit looks like Afghanistan, it’s bombed out and depleted

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m very upset about what you said about my coat. I made it outta your mother’s pubic hair

• Jstew3785 says:

Kelly Ozbourne I heard your song “Papa don’t Preach”. Well I got a song for you bitch, it’s called “Daughter don’t sing”

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“Hate hate hate hate”

• s13 says:

Funny how when you lash back after being lashed on for no reason (maybe i upset meatloaf since thales might be his favorite fighter / relative). Also, explain how its ‘stupid’ to say i’d call someone a coward to their face? I’ve done it before (what happened after was pretty cool) and I’d do it again without hesitation…if I think you’re a coward. What you have to realise is its not a matter of opinion or someone trying to bully or look ‘cool’. Its based on HOW PEOPLE PERFORM AND ACT WHEN FIGHTING. Why can’t anyone see that? I’m curious.

• s13 says:

Metalmulisha, this is to you. I simply stated what i do etc because I could hear the typical idiots saying the same thing “You don’t fight so who are you to critisize”. So I had to throw that out there to show I’m not like 90% of the keyboard warriors out there who spew opinions without any merit. So your statement of ‘nobody gives a shit how big you are’ was really out of place, i guess you saw it as ‘bragging’ but again, I was simply showing that I don’t just talk the talk like most people…and someone obviously does care. How can you tell? Because YOU touched on that when it wasn’t a direct statement to anyone. If you don’t care about something you ignore it, not address it…thats just a known fact. And yeah ‘NOPE’ give up some details on your promotion and I’ll be sure to look into it. You won’t have to worry about me falling to my back to avoid striking with anyone. :)