Phil Baroni heading back to the UFC?

phil baroniOn the heels of highly regarded fighters such as 5-3 middleweight Thales Leites, and 3-3 welterweight crowd-pleaser Tamdan McCrory being cut from the UFC, reports are currently circulating that none other than “The New York Bad Ass” Phil Baroni may be on his way back to the promotion.

The Las Vegas based knockout artist has reportedly agreed to an offer with the UFC verbally according to a recent report on Sherdog.com. Of course in order for Baroni to have reportedly agreed to an offer, an offer had to have been made in theory.

The news comes almost immediately after a statement issued through Strikeforce that the 170 pound brawler had been released from his obligations to the promotion.

“We wish Phil the best of luck and hope he can revive his career,’’ said Strikeforce President Scott Coker in a press release on Thursday. “If he can, maybe one day, he can return and fight for us.”

After starting his UFC career with a bang, compiling three straight victories, Baroni was given the boot back in 2005 after losing his next four.

Since his release from the UFC Baroni has gone on to put together a record of 8-6; compiling wins over the likes of Ryo Chonan, Yuki Kondo and Olaf Olfanso while dropping bouts to fighters such as Kazou Misaki, Frank Shamrock, and most recently Joe Riggs in Strikeforce.

While Baroni being signed with the UFC is far from official at this point in time, if he was signed, it would be a decisive message to fighters such as the previously noted Thales Leites that the UFC means business when they say that they only want fighters that come to fight.

• egad81 says:

I would much rather see Baroni that guy they just cut… Tailess Tatas or whatever her name was

• ScrambledEggs says:

After I read the headline the first thought that popped into my head was WHY!

• Hitman Hartnell says:

I like baroni but does he really come out to fight or does he come out to gas.

• dpk says:

Yeah, why?? Talent and where his is in his career wise he doesn’t really belong in UFC, but he could have a few fights against some of the upcoming guys in UFC like John Howard, Johny Hendricks, or some of the other guys coming in recently.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Personally, all the antics aside, I like the guy. The only thing I can figure is he signed a 3 or 4 fight deal expressing his desire to retire out of the UFC. He’ll get a little more exposure and a little money.

I don’t see him gassing though being that he’s in the big show for the final time. Hopefully we’ll get some good fights out of it. My only question is will he be fighting at welterweight or middleweight this time?

• shotokai_ says:

I confess I do like Phil Baroni probably more than I should. Bit of a moron, obviously, but he’s always entertaining and I love to see him fight. I also think he’s grown up a lot since his early days. His failure to react to a full on headbutt by a (knocked out) opponents idiotic friend in Cage Rage last year is surely an indicator of this.
    Unfortunately his talent and skill level, combined with his age and recent record, definitely do not warrant a contract with the UFC – especially when you consider other WW and MW fighters out there who the UFC isn’t making efforts to sign. But I can see the logic in the signing; Baroni is an entertaining fighter who sells his own fights with his personality as well being an attraction for the fans of the sport who have been around since the UFC 30’s and 40’s. Not to mention the fact that he’s probably going to be on a comparatively cheap contract. A win for both parties.

He also didn’t win his first three fights, he lost to Lindland in his second fight and then won his next two. One of which was the knockout of Dave Menne, possibly the sickest KO from standing punches in MMA history?

• TURKISH says:

“I don’t see him gassing though being that he’s in the big show for the final time.”

LOL. Yeah he’s only had horrible cardio his entire career including gassing once again in his last fight.
    But I’m sure that’s all in the past now that he’s a UFC fighter right?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

We’ll see. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

• hindsightufuk says:

yup i like Phil more than is reasonable too. not sure why, but i always end up rooting for him. he’s an arsehole, not overly well rounded, a complete prick, trains with a team of fighters i dont like (is he still with hammer house), oh and he’s a complete arsehole.
    but i love watching him fight!

• fanoftna33 says:

At least we know that he is always out to fight, and not lay down for anybody.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

EXACTLY. You can’t knock the guy for not trying. Sure, he needs to work on his cardio. That’s a given. There’s just something about his fights that I find entertaining.

• fanoftna33 says:

Ozz A fight between Baroni and your man Creduer would be great, I think Tom has the chin to get through that first round and then take it to him but it would be pretty competitive.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, i’m kinda biased about Tim in a way, being that he lives 5 minutes away from me and he’s a family friend.

• Alright… cutting McCrory but signing Baroni, even if he is DA BEST EVA, irks me.

• Angry Mike says:

Throw him in with Tito. Hopefully they beat each other senseless. A “win-win” situation.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, it’s official. He got a multi-fight deal.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see his first fight be a rematch with Pete Sell. Fireworks…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’ll second that.

With Sell having a 3-5 UFC record, I’d think that if Sell loses he goes. It would be a great rematch though. They’re both on about the same level right now.

• jj says:

I’m looking forward to seeing him in the UFC again. Win or lose he puts on a show–usually anyways.

In a sport that is mostly mental things can change quickly when an athlete has the right mindset. Best of luck Philly.

• manny says:

He sucks, he doesn’t know how to use his strenght and gases out easily. Was horrible against Riggs. why would ufc sign this guy?

• edub says:

Id actually like to see him in with the guy that just blasted Pete Sell. Matt Brown.

• Bullylover says:

yeah a fight between baroni &brown would be awsome. other fights that would be awsome are lytle,burns,davis,hardy or even daleys first fight in the octagon.Rather see him at WW than Mw.