Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night 19

The Natural Born KillerAfter a blown ACL forced Chris Lytle out of his anticipated bout with Carlos Condit at UFC Fight Night 19, a replacement has been recruited to face off with “The Natural Born Killer” in the form of UFC newcomer Jake Ellenberger.

UFC Fight Night 19 is slated for September 16 from the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

The news of Ellenberger being tapped as the replacement for Lytle was first reported by MMAJunkie.com and FiveOuncesOfPain has since been able to confirm the change in opponents through sources close to the fight.

Earning a reputation as a heavy handed banger while racking up 13 knockout stoppages in his 21 total victories as a professional, Ellenberger has put together an impressive record of 21-4 while competing for numerous promotions including IFL, M-1 Challenge and King of the Cage. Some of the more impressive wins on his resume include Pat Healey, Ryan Stout and a 9 second knockout over Jose “Pele” Landi-Johns.

Of course Condit was the reigning and defending WEC welterweight champion before the UFC merged the weight class into it’s own promotion. Currently training out of Arizona Combat Sports, Condit is widely regarded as one of the best in the business currently competing at 170 pounds with wins over the likes of Frank Trigg, Brock Larson and Hiromitsu Miura throughout the course of his decorated career.

• hindsightufuk says:

this is a dangerous fight for Carlos, Jake is a strong fairly unknown fighter taking a step up in competition. if Carlos doesnt win, is his UFC spot in jeopardy?

• fanoftna33 says:

It has to be in jepardy, thats two in a row and he is coming from the wec. Look at Larson he has won two in a row and he is still on the undercards. Seeing as he is the last wec WW champ if he loses here they will probably give him somebody he can beat in his next fight, but with a win I would love to see him fight Anthony Johnson, that would be a great fight.

• I don’t think so. It’s a COMPLETELY different opponent on one month’s notice and Condit is a marketable fighter and the last WEC WW champ.

I don’t think Condit loses this fight regardless but if he does, I still see him having a job considering Strikeforce would pounce on him as a free agent.

• “I would love to see him fight Anthony Johnson, that would be a great fight.”

Man, I just love to see Anthony Johnson fight. That kid is great.

• fanoftna33 says:

Johnson is definatly one of the few guys that could control that division on the next few years.

• moosebaby02 says:

Rumble Johnson is the man of the future for sure and hell ya that would be a great fight

• moosebaby02 says:

oh Condit shouldnt lose this one and i think he will be safe if he does but then again its the UFC and who knows what the hell they are thinking some times

• fanoftna33 says:

I really think it is debateable that he lost to Kampmann. Also who is giving the hit man a chance against Swick?

• edub says:

I agree Fan I actually had Condit winning the fight on my scorecards.

• moosebaby02 says:

i love Kampmann but i had it Condit winning. I truly think Kampmann will come out with a different mind set to make amends for his fight with Condit and smash Swick….. i think. Swick is no joke either

• edub says:

Haha i like you MOose but I see it completely different. Kampman is a notoriously slow starter on the feet, and that is where Swick is best at. Im a fan of the Dane but his stand up has never impressed me. I think Swick solidifies his status as number 1 contender with quick KO.

• BigDave says:

After seeing Condit vs miura fight awhile back which was easyily one of my fave fights i would love to see him any time i can. that fight made me a fan of condit for life.

• Cory Brady says:

I hung out with Condit and a bunch of the boys from Arizona Combat Sports all day yesterday for a photo shoot for Extreme Fighter Magazine. Carlos was cool and down to earth as you could imagine he would be. Really nice guy. VERY focused on this fight! Looked to be in terrific shape too.

• mu_shin says:

I’m with Big Dave on this one. The Condit/Miura fight was a classic. I was a fan before that fight, having seen Condit compete several times in the WEC, but he showed a lot of heart and all around skills in the Miura fight, and solidified his reputation as a serious threat at welterweight.

Pretty sure I saw Ellenberger fight in the IFL, which had a lot of decent matches, so this should be a quality fight and a chance for Condit to get things going in the right direction in the UFC.

• TURKISH says:

I watched the Ellenberger/Heleno fight in the IFL, and unless he’s improved quite a bit he’s not on Condit’s level.
    Should be a pretty easy win for Carlos.