A Slap In The Face

In typical Zuffa fashion, the UFC will be counter-programming “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” on Saturday night. They will re-air the historic UFC 100 on Spike TV in an effort to draw fans away from Showtime. They will also include un-aired preliminary bouts not featured on the PPV card. These bouts include the Jon Jones vs. Jake O’Brien, Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman, and Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty.

While this is clever from a business standpoint, what does this say to the fans?

I, like most people, shelled out the money to view what was supposed to be history. We were supposed to be treated to the best card ever put together by the UFC. And while the fights were very entertaining, it didn’t seem like the epic event we were hyped to buy.

I now feel cheated that the card will be aired for free, just to take attention away from what’s looking like an excellent card from Strikeforce.

We knew the gloves were coming off as soon as Coker signed Fedor, but to show an event most people haven’t even got the bill for yet is a smack in face. I keep hearing from Dana White that this is for the fans, but what Im seeing is, “pay 50 bucks today, but Im gonna air it for free in a couple of weeks”.

However, even with this “dirty” tactic, I still believe the Strikeforce card is strong enough to hold its own. There are three championship bouts, albeit one interim, (Where are you Cung Le?), and a short notice fight between two very tough competitors.

The main event is a fight that has been in the making for some time, and even though it has been hyped because of Gina Carono’s easy on the eyes appearance, it should provide more action than men’s fights. The Renato “Babalu” Sobral vs. Gegard Mousasi is a hold over from Affliction, and fans will finally see the outcome. The Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida, could easily take fight of the night, and the Jay “The Thoroughbred” Hieron vs. Jesse “JT Money” Taylor, is a good replacement for the unfortunate and always unpredictable Nick Diaz.

All in all, I am looking forward to the weekend, the more fights the better. I just have one thing left to add: Thank you DVR.

• fraz says:

I don’t really consider it a slap in the face at all. Seeing an event 6 weeks later (where you already know the results) does not compare to seeing it live.
    The fact that they are airing it now shouldn’t mean that you enjoyed the original event any less.
    It’s a business decision on the UFC’s part — and yes, a decision like this does come with some risks.
    They risk setting up a precedent where people might expect that ALL UFC events will air for free on TV soon afterwards and that could start to hurt their pay-per-view buys.
    Hopefully they will counter-program with live events in the future. I’m sure the UFC will do exactly that against Strikeforce’s Fedor debut.
    (((The $50 issue does come up a lot in the threads. For me, I really don’t consider the $50 much of an investment at all. I’m not wealthy; it’s just that there are usually at least 5 of us that get together and chip in. And if I don’t buy the pay-per-view, I will go out on the Saturday night and easily spend 3 times as much money.)))

We also get to see a couple of the unaired undercard fights from UFC 100. It’s about time that Bones got some proper exposure.

I agree with you about the DVR though. Best invention ever.

• ekc says:

yeah, i think my DVR pretty much kills any counter programing, unless each fight in on 4 separate channels at the same time.

• Austin says:

Cry more, please. You obviously have the money since you paid to watch it in HD. Most people go to sports bars and throw down 5$.

• Brandon says:

I`m guessing nobody watches fights off the net…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Uncle Fester is trying to kill Strikeforce so all we can watch is his brand. He wants more of those $ you were talking about. Everyone should try and support Strikeforce as much as they can. A UFC monopoly will be no good for fans or fighters.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Will you think about this for as minute. When “the casual” fan hears MMA who do they think of…….. UFC? Bingo. How is having one promotion bad? I guess the NFL is bad for Football players, and the NBA bad for basketball players.

How will a monopoly be no good for the fans and fighters? Maybe they would finally aquire enough of a roster to do Tuesday night Fights, LIVE. How’s that for live MMA once a week? Wow. If it wasn’t for the UFC pushing legislation and doing all they can FOR THE SPORT, there wouldn’t even be mainstream media attention to begin with.

I’m not saying let’s go out and burn all the other promotions out of town, but I’m not going to try to hug 2nd rate promotions either. Once there is one game in town, the fighters as well as the fans will get what they/we want, which will probably lead to the end of PPV, Mainstream media event cards, and weekdly bouts.

• shotokai_ says:

“Uncle Fester is trying to kill Strikeforce so all we can watch is his brand. He wants more of those $ you were talking about.”

Of course Dana White is trying to succeed against Strikeforce, if you were the president of the UFC what would you do MMA-“LOGIC”? Hand them over some free cash so they could put on a better show?
    Of course he wants dollars. Show me one promoter, business owner, chief exec. etc that doesn’t want to make money from their business/product and I will show you a liar or a moron.

“Everyone should try and support Strikeforce as much as they can”

Most fans, myself included, watch different shows based on merit, not on how much they like or dislike other shows or promoters; you should try this. If Strikeforce put on a good card, people will watch it – and same goes for every promotion. If you dislike Dana White so much and want to support Strikeforce ‘as much as you can’ why don’t you stop watching the UFC?

“A UFC monopoly will be no good for fans or fighters.”

Finally, a complete UFC monopoly over MMA is virtually impossible; so don’t worry about it. An effective monopoly, which I presume is what you really mean, is somewhat possible but unlikely. There will always, always be small local shows. And there will always, always be rich fat cats ready to come into a growing sport they know nothing about and chuck a few millions around thinking their promotion will explode into something similar to the UFC, I promise you.
    And for what its worth, if the UFC did hypothetically become the only large promotion in MMA (an effective monopoly), it wouldn’t be ideal, but I also fail to see how it would be as devastating as you purport for the fighters and fans. It’s likely that they would expand overseas, particularly into Japan, have a much, much larger roster and put on almost weekly shows (including free shows and PPV’s). Obviously this is hypothetical speculation but I’m merely trying to illustrate the rough point that if any sort of “monopoly” you are scared of came to fruition (which it won’t) – I don’t think it would be the end of MMA as we know it. The disclaimer is that I am obviously not saying I want this to happen, by any stretch of the imagination, but just something to think about.

• shotokai_ says:

Well said Ozz, you posted yours before I wrote mine, Beat me to it.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Your post went into much better detail than mine, shotokai_!!

Still trying to take your advice about Quality over Quantity, LOL!!!

Great post

• shotokai_ says:

Yeah think I was having a bad day when I wrote that – first day back from a holiday of incessant alcohol consumption, don’t take it personally. As it happens I agree with most of your posts, there’s just a lot of them! I’d still rather read those than posts by some of the idiots on other forums, though. Keep it up.

• jpolley8714 says:

Ozz and Shotokai, great posts. I actually agree with both of you. I feel there should be one just like other professional sports, however, unlikely due to the need of smaller shows. These are the minor leagues if you will.

And to Austin, I am by no means wealthy, I was just staing my opinion of how I felt, not sure if my eyes started watering or not……

• ozz_the_powerful says:

No, I agree with there needing to be smaller shows as a minor league. Completely. I just worry about shows like SF and them possibly being on CBS.

How embarrassed were you when you would watch EliteXC on CBS, honestly? I mean seriously? Is that the way you wanted the sport represented to the casual fan and the first timers? I for one, was probably as red as a fire extinguisher, given the pyro-technics, skanky cheerleaders, and the COMMENTARY. “History in the making?” LMFAO

If that would have been someone like the UFC, who knows, it would probably still be on TV, as well as getting spectacular ratings, possibly moving the sport ahead 5 years.

• moosebaby02 says:

“However, even with this “dirty” tactic,”
    ha i think someone is getting a great business move confused with their hate towards the UFC. I see nothing dirty about it
    fraz, ozz, shotokai right on the button (damn I think I owe Joe Rogan $$$ again)
    I rather pay $50 bucks and watch a live event then watch a re-run and with knowing all the results. If all you people who takes this move as an insult by the UFC then tell who ever it is that has the gun to your head to F-OFF and don’t order the next UFC PPV but there in no guarantees that they will be airing in free when they do a counter promotion. It could very well be a live promotion next time.
    Ozz love the weekly MMA live shows idea you threw out there. That would be cool

• fanoftna33 says:

Somebody pointed it out to me yesterday but yes the ufc is giving us this event some of us paid $55 for, but they are also going to have commercial breaks and with thoes I belive they will make even more money. This makes good business sense as it also detracts a little from strikeforce, but really how many mma fans with showtime are going to watch a replay of ufc 100 and not the live fights, my guess is not many. I feel this is the ufc trying to feel good about themselfs and how they are hurting other promotions.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Yeah, but how many casual fans that don’t have Showtime are going to watch Spike?

• moosebaby02 says:

Great point fan.
    Im still trying to find a way to get this card here in Canada but it seems harder than I thought. If I do get it I will still be flipping back and forth just to watch JJ’s and the Bonner vs Colman and Hendo knocking Bisbing mouth shut. It is a great business move by the UFC but how many people will be watching something they know already happened unless they never saw it in the first place. Even if I cant get the strikeforce card I wont be watching the whole UFC 100 anyways there is pre-season football on

• fanoftna33 says:

That ko by henderson was great but the thing that got me with the ufc 100 was that on my dvr I could not save it as it was set to expire in just 48 hours. I dont know how that happened , if the ufc sets that up or direct tv but it happened with 100 but not ufc 98.

• mmac says:

Ozz how do you figure a UFC monopoly would eventually lead to the end of PPV?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Because. Just like all other major sports. Blue Chip Sponsors. Look how much a commercial costs for a football game, let alone the Super Bowl. If the UFC, or ANYONE, could get THAT mainstream, we’d be done paying for PPV. You never saw an NFL or NBA PPV did you?

It’s just a thought. A far distant one, but a good one none the less.

• moosebaby02 says:

yes a far distant one but makes sense and would be great

• edub says:

Funny thing is most casual fans will now be watching this instead of the SF card.

• metalmulisha says:

Most fans who only watch the UFC weren’t going to watch the Strikeforce card to begin with. Regardless of the Spike counter programming with UFC 100 or not.

You might get a few casual fans who remember Gina on CBS or from American Gladiators to tune in, but not many. And no casual fan who didn’t have Showtime to begin with is all of a sudden going to order it for this event.

And if ozz believes that if the UFC ends of in control of all MMA that there won’t be any more PPV’s he’s really gone mad.
    Not only will big UFC events always be on PPV, but every few years they’re going to go up in price.

• edub says:

No alot of fans that watch the fight at bars would have watched because thats where the fights would have been. The fights will probably not be there anymore because the UFC is on. Most bars will immediately gravitate towards the UFC for MMA over anything else even if the UFC isnt Live and the other promotion is.

• I dunno, edub. I went to Fox and Hound for 101 and they had Strikeforce posters up next to the UFC ones.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Fox and Hound you’re talking about wouldn’t happen to be in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, would it?

Anyways, Mulisha, LOL, I haven’t gone mad. Although I do look forward to my nightly debate with you.

Not any time soon, but maybe in the next 5 years it may get to that point. I’m definately not the first person to bring it up. If they secure a network deal, that eliminates the need for them to stop trimming their rosters and thus, more frequent fight nights. If they secure a primetime network deal, in rolls MORE blue chip sponsors. It very well may lead to no more PPV. Maybe. It could happen.

• Nah, ozz, I rep the DFW. I was at the Fox and Hound in downtown Fort Worth.

I’ll be going to FN in OKC and 103 in Dallas too.

• edub says:

LUCCCKKKYY!

Good shit Sergio there should be a bunch of Ft. Sill heads at the OKC show.

Boooom AAARRRRtilleryyyy!!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dallas is a 6 hour drive from Lafayette, LA, and I was going to go, but the wife doesnt want to be in the nose bleed section, and she wont let me spend the money for floor seats, 4th row!!

Damn you, vile woman!!!

• So she refuses to sit in the cheap seats but she won’t let you buy the expensive ones?

That’s some ol’ buuuuuuuullshit…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

All I can hope for is for them to come back to New Orleans…….

• Jak says:

“it didn’t seem like the epic event we were hyped to buy.”

I’m not sure what to think of this from the article… seriously, do you watch the UFC? really what was to be expected?

I get really confused at what people were expecting from 100… it was a good card in the middle of the summer.

It’s not even a ten year anniversary and people expected some crazy show…

• 3OAM says:

Ahhh, the beauty of DVR.

• GetItOn says:

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this already or not but there was a boxing event in which Roy Jones Jr fought that night as well.