The crazy weekend that was UFC 101 and WEC 42

What a weekend. It is so rare that Zuffa grants us a great weekend of not only UFC fights, but then follows it up with a night of WEC bouts to cap it off.

When we sit down to either a UFC Pay-Per-View or a WEC showing on Versus, we are normally spectators of a fair combination of knockouts, surprise victories, and a little controversy mixed in. This weekend we had the polar opposites between what we are used to seeing and what we saw. UFC 101 turned out to be a night of odds on winners with no real upset coming through while WEC 42 gave us two very controversial decisions (at least in my opinion) and one amazing beatdown.

Let’s take a look at the main fighters from this past weekend.

Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks

Amir did not do well at all but I don’t know how many people really expected him to. He is returning from two injuries and a drop in weight (of which he still weighed in almost 4 pounds lighter than his opponent). The combination of this and the pairing with the always volatile Johny Hendricks spelled disaster from the get go.

Amir will rebound from this and shake what could possibly be the nerves that go with fighting on PPV for the first time. The 170 pound division is stacked with potential fights for Amir such as Dustin Hazelett, Marcus Davis, Dan Hardy, Josh Koscheck and others that would make for a great fight to a ready Amir. Most likely I look for Amir to fall to the prelims with this fight as say a swing fight with recent TUF fighter and fellow Suckerpunch Entertainment member DeMarques Johnson, or perhaps Ben Saunders.

Johny Hendricks on the other hand has proven that he has the type of explosive power that puts and end to fights, and butts in seats. While he is still a ways away from fighting GSP, Hendricks seems to be making the right steps to eventually getting there. The problem is that he still needs to prove himself capable of handling top level guys such as Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, Dan Hardy, Brock Larson, Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves. If he can beat two or three of these guys we may be looking at a fight against GSP.

However, the most likely scenario for Hendricks would be another main card battle against another striker in someone such as Marcus Davis before Dana and Joe Silva would consider matching him against any of the top level 170 pounders. This is not an insult to Hendricks just the fact that he still needs to prove himself worthy of that type of investment by Zuffa.

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin

Okay, before all the excuse makers come rolling out of the woodworks for Forrest, let me say this, he was utterly destroyed and humiliated like no other fighter of his caliber has been. While many of us thought that Griffin’s tenacity would make for great fight against Silva, possibly bringing out the old Anderson that has gone into hibernation over the boredom he has in the cage, none of us could have expected the outcome of this fight. Not only did he lose, he was made to look like he was out of his league in the UFC.

Griffin will always have a fight in the UFC and a large group of fans that will defend his every move. The question is: What’s next for the former light heavyweight champion of the world? The devastation he has to feel following the loss is sure to put him out of action for a while. Once he returns, there is no doubt that he will still help sell Pay-Per-Views regardless of who he fights. My biggest concern for him is how he rebounds from being humiliated by “”. This is one of those losses that can destroy a guy’s career if he doesn’t mentally handle it correctly.

Now for Silva, this was his chance to show the world and more importantly Roy Jones, Jr. that he is a perfectly capable boxer who will most like show up to face Jones in a ring. The entire bout reeked of a Jones fight and further proved that there is only one true fight left for Silva before he grows entirely bored of his competition, and that fight is GSP. While I would put Silva as the odds on favorite to win against GSP, particularly because of GSP’s UFC 100 post fight conference in which he sounded hesitant about fighting Silva at any weight, it would make a great battle and great PPV. Then again, I said the same thing about the Forrest fight and I haven’t seen anything close to that kind of beating being handed out.

3. BJ Penn vs. Kenny Florian

What we have here is the Master showing why he is the master. Florian must have thought he was going to just dismantle Penn and finish him with no problems. In the end, albeit a good showing from Florian, it just wasn’t enough to put Penn away.

I have to say the first thing I noticed from the get go with this fight was how in shape and ready Penn was. The biggest drawback I have had about B.J. is the fact that his cardio always seems to let him down in the championship rounds of a fight. Not this time though. In the fourth round Penn looked just as good as he did in the first round.

Florian seemed to be a little frustrated that this fight was not going the way he wanted it to. For Florian the next thing to do for him is go back to the drawing board and work his way back into a fight with Penn. There are a couple fights for Florian that I could see happening soon; either Diego Sanchez or Sean Sherk.

Now Penn is in a totally different situation. If I was a betting man I would say that Penn delays defending his title as long as possible until he gets his rematch with GSP. The last fight, and the antics that occurred with the so called “Grease-Gate” have left many fans wondering. The change in rules that followed the fight lead some fans to believe that there was something that occurred that wasn’t supposed to. The only way to fix the issue for both men is to grant a rematch that will be highly scrutinized and watched like an illegal street fight.

Now on to WEC 42. What an event. One pathetic judging decision and one amazing knockout highlighted what was one of the better events the WEC put on this year.

1. Jeff Curran vs. Takeya Mizugaki

I may be in the minority here but I don’t see how Curran lost rounds two and three. He had Mizugaki rolling and reeling in round two and nearly choked him out in the third. The fact is that no matter what is said about the questionable split decision, the fact remains that this is Curran’s fourth straight loss and third in a row by decision. I am not in the boat that Jeff’s better days are behind him, but unless he starts racking up the wins, it is entirely possible that we may see Jeff out of the WEC.

At this stage, people are beginning to call him a gate keeper. If you can beat Jeff, then you have what it takes. It’s sad and part of me doesn’t want to believe it as a giant fan of his, however, I don’t think I am in the minority feeling that Jeff lost a fight he should have won.

Mizugaki very well could be the next fighter to face the newly crowned bantamweight champion Brian Bowles. Coming off his loss against Torres and his win against Curran could be enough to put him in the main event against Bowles once his hand heals. I personally don’t see him as earning that shot yet, but I can see how the guys over at the WEC booking office could set that one up.

2. Brian Bowles vs. Miguel Torres

While many people felt Bowles would be the man to beat Torres, no one could have possibly predicted the beat down Bowles unleashed on the former WEC champion. A massive right hook put Torres on his back which was immediately followed up with one too damn many punches on the ground. The question for both of these guys is: What’s next?

Bowles is out for a while with a broken hand, so I expect to see a Torres rematch with Mizugaki with the winner getting Bowles when he gets back.

• antone3x7 says:

Awesome recap. Before the KenFlo fight, BJ said he wants to fight again as soon as possible. I’m not sure what his stance was after beating Kenny, but you can tell in this fight that he was anxious to get in there and has the hunger and determination to win. I don’t think I’ve seen that since the Jens fight. So let’s get the BJ-Diego fight signed ASAP!

• edub says:

I thought the Garcia decision was pretty god aweful too. I know he didnt push the fight as much as Leonard did in the last round, but I still feel he won the third round by a wide margin.

• fraz says:

I understand your point, but I really don’t think GSP is the only “one true fight” for Silva.

Rampage stands just as much chance against Silva as GSP does (which still isn’t much of a chance). GSP is more skilled than Rampage obviously, but Rampage has size and power.

If Moussasi keeps improving at the rate he’s going, he could also be a future threat for Silva (or Machida) down the road if they can bring him to the UFC. Just like Silva and Machida, Moussasi stays so calm in the ring, fights defensively, and doesn’t look like he breaks a sweat.

Silva vs. Fedor would also be ideal down the road. (Fedor is only a couple of pounds heavier than Forrest)

• fraz says:

Let’s hope BJ is content to stay at lightweight and cement his legacy. GSP didn’t just beat BJ, he completely dominated him. I am not interested in seeing that again.
    Sanchez-Penn can be a good fight. Hopefully the UFC will also go out and try to bring in a couple of the world’s best lightweights like Hellboy Hansen, Aoki, or Alvarez for BJ to match up with.

• s13 says:

Why does everyone keep saying “AHA” (aoki, hansen, alvarez) should fight bj? Do you guys realise they have the proverbial “MMA Circle Jerk” going on with those 3 in dream? All they do over there is match aoki vs hansen, winner gets alvarez, then the loser of that gets the loser of aoki vs hansen, then repeat over and over. I’m tired of hearing that. Its my opinion that Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin, and Frankie Edgar would beat any of those guys (even sean sherk if he wrestles instead of try to box people all the time). There is plenty of talent in the UFC and I don’t see any of those guys beating BJ Penn. Maynard will be the next big threat, no disrespect to diego, but I rather see him fight Florian since he ran his mouth about him so much. Hopefully when BJ schools Diego, we can see Diego vs Kenflo.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Absolute insanity. It would NOT make a great battle. Not at all. GSP is excellent, no doubt, and one of my favorite fighters. But GSP gets handled quicker that Griffin in that fight. Anderson is too fast and too strong. GSP vs Silva is a fight I would pay for, but not one I want to see.

I WOULD pay for Rampage vs Silva, pull a cooler up next to my recliner, and watch Pride Final Conflict 2003 and Pride 28 before the fight, just so I can judge who gave Rampage more of a beatdown. Then again, that’s just me throwing my biased opinion out there b/c I can’t stand Jackson.

Silva says he doesnt do good with bigger guys, but c’mon. You just WRECKED SHOP against one of the biggest in the Light Heavyweight Division.

• s13 says:

He just wouldn’t do good vs machida. :)

• Bad Monkey says:

There is absolutely no sense in Penn fighting GSP again. He would get owned even worse than he did the first time. He looked very good against Florian, but Kenny is not in GSP’s universe.

I would love to see Silva vs. Rampage. Silva probably takes the win, but Rampage’s wrestling along with his chin give him a much better chance than Forrest just coming at Anderson face first. Hopefully they’ll put Silva into a fight for the New Year’s Eve card.

• fanoftna33 says:

This was a great weekend of fights, even though I was wrong on 4 of 5. I agree with most of you with the GSP vs Silva not being as desirable anymore. And can anybody blame Silva for getting bored with the caliber of fighters he has been fighting lately, I mean take Leitas who just lost to Sakara,then Cote who is a good mid card fighter but not even close to Silva. I really think he will be bored at MW again no matter who he fights, and the only reason he did so well this time was because Roy Jones JR was there in person. BJ vs Kenny was great but went down like I expected, In his last three LW fights BJ has been in great shape , so from now on his opponents if they want any chance at all had better figure out a new game plan.

• nope says:

+1 on s13

Good article. I think Hendricks is waaaaay off even being close to fight the top tier at 170.

Also I think Torres might’ve been caught up in his own hype before this fight. A la GSP before Serra and Rampage before Forrest. He was doin press all over the place, talkin bout movin up in weight, referring to himself in the third person. I think he only mentioned Bowles in one of the interviews i saw. I think who ever he fights next is fucked tho.

• s13 says:

Everyone knows BJ isn’t losing anytime soon in the LW division (until he fights Gray Maynard…someone who can overpower like GSP..but even then BJ’s bjj is out of this world so who knows!).

On another note let me speak on rampage and why I’m continously liking him less and less. After the forrest fight he had no right to talk bad about forrest and how he performed. People need to grasp the reason why it ended in such fasion is because forrest does not run away and flop to the mat like thales or vitor when he fought sakuraba. Forrest came to fight and unfortunately he was trounced. I say let rampage show forrest ‘how its done’ and feed him to anderson next. There may be rampage lovers out there but let me remind you all of how much of a coward he really is. Go to mma-core.com and look up rampage vs ninja and watch the end of the fight after rampage wins (most thought he lost that fight anyway). After he beat ninja, shogun climbs in the ring and challenges rampage. Rampage has a deer-in-the-headlights look and is like ‘i dont want to fight you shogun’. what a punk! Also I have to point out in his little beef with rashad in the ring after the jardine fight, he seemed scared then sayin ‘give me the right training” or ‘let me train a little longer and i’ll beat you!’. I’ll never say that to anyone. I would be like ‘you will get smashed little boy, go drink some milk’ or something along those lines. Lastly, is it just me or does rampage appear scared of machida? He can ride that wagon about ‘i want to make money and i can make more on the ultimate fighter show’ all he wants, but the fact is if you’re in the fight game the ultimate goal is to be champ and that never changes in order to establish your legacy unless you’re at the end of your career. He rather not face machida because he knows he will get ko’d. he will get ko’d by anderson so i don’t know if his buddy dana will make that fight for us to salivate over…and yes, i would pick machida over silva any day of the week (and i dont mean wanderlei!). :)

• ozz_the_powerful says:

BAM, POW S13

Great comment. I have been seeing the same trend from him for a while as well. I think it’s no secret to everyone I don’t care for him, but this isn’t necessarily biased opinion. The proof is there. How are you going to talk shit about someone that beat you. Like he could do better?

• danw84 says:

The thing that annoys me the most is that he’s STILL talking shit about Forrest losing. I’d love to see Silva take him apart too.

Makes no sense to talk about a guy who beat you in a unanimous decision. He said he doesn’t even want a rematch any more. Uhh… Anderson Silva beating someone does not = Rampage Jackson beating them.

• edub says:

Damn good points on all posts S13.

• madheartmma says:

GSP(170: walks around at 190) vs. Silva(185-205:walks at 225-230) ???, I mean THEY’RE GREAT FIGHTERS, BUT THERE ARE WEIGHT CLASSES FOR A REASON, BUT, FOR DEBATES SAKE, WHY NOT BROCK LESNAR VS. A.SILVA?? HELL, THAT’ SKIPPING 2 CLASSES..HA HA HA

• mu_shin says:

Just watched the Curran/Mizugaki fight, and I’m in total agreement with Mr. Curry. Curran was much more active, tried multiple submissions, and came within seconds of finishing the triangle choke in the third round. Mizugaki did score the inital takedown in rounds two and three, but did very little to follow up the takedown, after a very strong round one. 29-28 Curran, and a great example of why five rounds for most fights would be appropriate, or even a sudden death extra round for any fight that does not come to a clear decision after three.

• meatloaf says:

Mizugaki won the Curran fight I don’t know why people are carrying on thinking Curran was screwed just because he had a tight triangle in round three doesn’t mean you give him a decision.
    Mizugaki landed the better strikes in the first two rounds and a fight with Bowles would be fireworks.

The biggest thing to come out of last weekend IMO is that I don’t think Forrest Griffin will ever be the same.
    I think this loss and the criticism of his actions afterwards with running full speed back to the dressing room and disappearing and these false rumors surfacing about serious injuries being the reason is going to have a lasting effect on him mentally and I don’t think he’ll be back in the cage for a long while and won’t be near the same guy when he does return.

• meatloaf, the only way I can see Griffin’s rep surviving this is if Silva completely decimates every opponent he faces and ends up being GOAT.

At that point, it’ll be, “Yeah, Griffin got clowned by Silva but it’s SILVA so no biggie.”