King Mo vs. Mark Kerr and exhibition match between Fedor and Mousasi set for “M-1 Breakthrough”

fedor mousasiM-1 Global: Breakthrough” has undergone some major changes recently for what appears to be the better.

Although the event was previously slated to take place in Los Angeles, California, the promotion has announced that the event will now take place at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, but is still set for the original date of August 28.

“The change in venues is unfortunate, however, the change was necessitated due to circumstances beyond our control,” recently explained M-1 Global Chief Operating Officer Joost Raimond. “We had a partner in Los Angeles that backed out of certain commitments. However, instead of letting fighters and fans down by canceling the event, we worked diligently to find a new location in Kansas City. At no point in time did we entertain the idea of canceling our first ‘Breakthrough’ event.”

With the new venue set for “M-1 Global: Breakthrough” there remained one major hurdle left to overcome, a new opponent for Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal in the card’s main event. Apparently the other half of the main event, Don Frye, pulled himself from the card due to reasons unknown.

“Don Frye had a signed contract with M-1 and part of that signed commitment allowed us to change the venue if needed,” Raimond went on to state. “From our perspective, Don should still be in this fight. However, for reasons that we aren’t exactly sure of, he has backed out. Don still has not provided us with a clear reason as to why he is refusing to fight.

“We’ve heard rumors that he wasn’t happy with the location change but our television partner, Mo Lawal, and every other fighter scheduled for the event are satisfied with Kansas City so why isn’t it good enough for Don? Don also fought just a few short months ago in Lubbock, Texas. It just doesn’t make sense because the old Don Frye was willing to fight anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. Perhaps the fire is gone and he underestimated the challenge that ‘King Mo’ presents?”

Out steps Frye and in steps another former legend of the Octagon in “The Smashing Machine” Mark Kerr, who had already been in training for a bout and jumped at the opportunity to face off with a rising star as talented and marketable as Lawal.

“Kerr at one time was one of the best fighters on the planet,” said M-1 Global Vice President of Live Events Joe Kelly. “His fall from grace was documented publicly on the popular HBO documentary The Smashing Machine. A lot of people have written Mark Kerr off but if he’s able to beat Lawal on national television, suddenly he becomes a hot commodity again. Mark was already in training for a fight when we contacted him and I’m not exactly sure how hard Don was training. This will actually be a tougher fight for Lawal.”

Also announced for the event is a sparring exhibition match between Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi, fellow Strikeforce heavyweights and sometimes training partners.

“We were blown away by just how popular Fedor’s exhibition vs. Aoki in Japan was,” revealed Raimond. “Fedor and Gegard have sparred many times together and the sessions have always been intense. Now fight fans watching on television and those attending live in Kansas City will get a rare glimpse at two of the best fighters in the world sparring each other.”

• warpig says:

Who Friggin cares about Strikefarce.

Yes I am a UFC Mark.

• fanoftna33 says:

I still cant wait for this, although I would rather see Don Frye, Kerr was one of the best, a long time ago. Fedor vs Mousasi should be fun.

• metalmulisha says:

You’re not alone fan I want to see this too, but honestly Frye vs King Mo would’ve been a lot more fun than Kerr.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m not even wasting my time with these guys. I actually can’t believe they got any coverage on this site. They need to go away, plain and simple. They are nothing but a parasite on this sport.

Partner backed out in LA? No. Bull shit. You didn’t have a promoters license in CA. Plain and simple. $500 and 30 pages to fill out was too hard, let along the cash bond of $10,000.

An exhibition? Booooooo!!! Whatever

• David Andrest says:

Yeah, they’ll never entice me with their fancy free fights, and up and coming fighters!

I don’t know who they think they are fooling, we are the internet faithful we know the inside story.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Look, I fully expected to get it from that one, but It’s my opinion, and my choice. Free fights are great, considering the promotion knows what the hell its doing and DOESNT LIE TO THEIR FIGHTERS!

BTW, Where are you getting “fancy free fights?” I was aware of free ones, but saw NOTHING fancy there.

• edub says:

hahaha to Daves comment.

War Smashing Machine … that movie was awesome.

This is gonna be tough to watch though. Mark Kerr has been a complete shell of his former self ever since Igor Vovchanchin hit him with the hardest right hand i ever seen.

• David Andrest says:

Ozz, you are of course entitled to your opinion. In regards to people not being honest with their fighters, I guess it is our choice to believe or not believe different accounts from different people ALL with their own agenda.

I like to watch fights. Weather it’s John Jones fighting for 10K in the UFC or it’s Mahaffey Jones fighting for 800 bucks in the GDFC . Doesn’t matter to me.

Nice thing is , you control your own remote.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“I for one am not affected by the venue change as my Television is still in my living room. And the price remains the same.”

Touche. Well played, sir

• fanoftna33 says:

I am looking forward to seeing King Mo for the first time, and if this event is even half as good as the wec was last night then they succeded. As for Frye not fighting I would think it must be something big to make him not fight.

• slammy862 says:

What a big bunch of wasted pig crap this is.

Free!

They should be paying us to watch this garbage.

Mark Kerr is a joke and I hope this isn’t an excuse for Fedor to go another 6 months without a decent fight after ruining this clown.

I’d rather watch frye and kerr fight for the last bottle of vicodin.

• metalmulisha says:

slammy862 do a couple a shots of tequila and calm down you will not be forced at gun point to watch.

• slammy862 says:

You’re right, that did help, met. Thanks.

I just want to see an epic fight with fedor in it.

Like fedor v silva or fedor v lesnar. I just feel like the clock is ticking

and I want him to fight before he gets past his prime.

• CMT says:

Dave – are you in on the conspiracy too?? Quit talking about f**king fighter salaries. You have left me no choice! Dammit Nick quit hogging the bowl!

• edub says:

As do I.

• Batman says:

Sam Caplan’s wife is fighting on this card, Andria Caplan. So of course this site will promote it.

• dpk says:

I’m agreeing with ozz on this one, If I want to watch sparring sessions I’ll pull up youtube and have a field day, don’t try telling me one is a main event. My boycott of anything involving Fedor outside of UFC will continue.

• edub says:

Yeaaaaa go Andriaaa!

• metalmulisha says:

dpk “My boycott of anything involving Fedor outside of UFC will continue”

You sound like you’re a big fan of the sport.

• BigDave says:

King Mo who? vs. WAy WAy WAy past his prime mark kerr. This is even less exciting then don Frye who is also way past his prime. Although it would be nice to see someone take king mo’s crown and stick it straight up his candy ass.(sorry couldnt help myself)

As far as Fedor goes well if Torres can be beat for the first time in 5 years why not fedor. Mousasi is the best test Fedor will have faced in his career and I’m gonna call it right here and now.

Mousasi by Triangle Choke rd1

• baldspot23 says:

m1 really pisses me off…you know u have fedor and what do u do with him?
    put him in a dam exhibition match with a guy…yea thatll be awesome to watch(hahahahahah)…..they couldve just threw him in the ring with some random guy wich is what they will do anyways once he gets in strikeforce..
    i was excited to see lawal vs frye but i could give a fuck about mark kerr….
    sorry this is that im only 4 hrs from kansas city and i wouldnt drive or pay money to see this crap

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is what I’m talking about. Mark Kerr? Don Frye?

What the hell are they doing with Mo? If I met him on the street I’d be more afraid of him pulling a gun on me than anything.

ZING!!!!

They need to get this guy good, AGE GROUP CONSIDERED competition. If you want to package him as the next big thing, then give him quality opponents that we MMA Purists will respect. Otherwise, from what I’ve seen so far, it’s nothing more than a circus.

• warpig says:

I live in Phoneix AZ,
    I know Mark personally and he is a nice guy but he should quit doing this.
    He is out of shape and has lost his last 5 or 6 fights.

I am with Rampage on this one ” King Who” king of what?

I think Fedor as has been stated beofre is scared of UFC because he will loose and his mystique will be lost. If I where Dana I’d never show intrest in him again unless it is to let the HW divison make him look like the tool he is and drop his fat flabby vodka drinking rudolph the red nose raindeer looking ass.

Let him go back to Sambo and Russia.

clocking is ticking on Strikefarce I say less than a year they will be done.

They’ll come begging Dana, he will get a crappy deal, Brock will be 18 months to 2 years better and kill this clown.

• metalmulisha says:

warpig if you hadn’t earlier admitted to being a UFC mark I would’ve never known by reading this last post of yours.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Oh SNAP!!

• warpig says:

Bah!
    As the great slipknot say “one more time and I am gonna f’n snap”
    however the truth be the truth.

I hate that damn russian he fights newbies , little Asians , and over the hill ufc’ers who wants him.
    Hell maybe I’ll come out of retirement and get a piece…