Diaz Out, Jesse Taylor in to face Hieron at “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg”(UPDATED)

jay-hieronJesse Taylor, a man unfortunately most commonly known as the outcast finalist from the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, has stepped up to the plate on just over five days notice to face off with Jay Hieron at “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg“.

The event is set for this Saturday evening from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will air live on Showtime.

Hieron’s previous opponent Nick Diaz was scratched from the bout after failing to submit to a drug test requested by the California State Athletic Commission.

Strikeforce President Scott Cokerhas since confirmed the match-up between Hieron and Taylor in a recent report to MMAJunkie.com.

Taylor has come a long way since his days boozing it up at the TUF house, racking up seven consecutive victories, with his most recent win coming in the DREAM organization.

Hieron is just happy to have an opponent after the recent collapse of his expected bout with Paul Daley at “Affliction: Trilogy” and the recent Nick Diaz drama. Hieron is also coming off of a winning streak as he has seen victory in his last five bouts fighting in the IFL, Night Of Combat and Affliction promotions.

EDITORS NOTE: FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently been able to confirm through Bill Douglas of the California State Athletic Commission that Diaz never showed up for his drug test this afternoon and is not currently licensed to fight in California.

• edub says:

I think Hieron has got this one. Seems a little better on the feet and thats where i think the fight will take place.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I’m going with Taylor. I like his wrestling better, as well as his G&P. That’s where this fight will end up anyway.

• mac wilson says:

Dana White will undoubtedly have something to say since the guy he threw off TUF is now fighting for Strikeforce’s belt.

Not to put down Jesse’s skills, he had a great showing recently at Dream and he has enough raw talent to be a real threat to Hieron.

Maybe Nick just knew he wouldn’t be able to pass the test. It’s really wierd that he didn’t show, even though whoever has been doing his scheduling has had a few no-shows by Nick recently at various events. This time there is a fight on the line…..I don’t get it…. I’m very much looking forward to a statement by Diaz….as we all are.

• edub says:

“It’s really wierd that he didn’t show, even though whoever has been doing his scheduling has had a few no-shows by Nick recently at various events.”

This statement kinda confused me man can you explain it.

I mean if Diaz knew he was gonna fail why take the test? No point in being suspended for a full year if you know your not gonna be able to fight.

• edub says:

Haha Fan thats exatly what i said with Bowles and Torres.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wiould go with Herion here, I think his experience in fights with better opponents will show through, but I also picked Torres to crush Bowles so we will see.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This fight isn’t for the belt. Its a non-title fight

• jj says:

i like nick diaz, but this is retarded. this guy has so much talent and couldnt give 2 shits about it either way. he brings to mind charles bennett.

stop sabotaging your career for your own sake nick, what the fuck else are you going to do other than fight?

• submit662266 says:

I’m a Diaz fan. I love his stand-up technique and he is one of my favorites. I know it has happened before with other athletes, but he has such talent and a gift and he is wasting it b/c of drugs. As a fan I’m sad and angry: I was excited about this fight. Nick, find an AA meeting or some rehab or some sort of help. All of us are human and we all have problems. I hope the best for you. As for Hieron/Hines, Hieron will dominate Hines.

• metalmulisha says:

JT Money Baby!

• CMT says:

I knew it metalmulisha, you have confirmed my conspiracy theory. All these comments are about fighters getting paid. JT’s nickname has money in it. Oh no, does anyone have plans on how to build a faraday cage?

• dpk says:

I wonder what Ceasar Gracie thinks about Diaz’s drug problem? I’d also like to get some comments from Scott Coker. I hope this was an isolated incident with a miscommunication or something, I’d hate to see Diaz start ruining his career by becoming not reliable.

• Bullylover says:

• Bullylover says:

I’m from stockton and have cousins that know & have trained with Nick and i’ve always been a fan and supporter of his . But even i’m kinda upset at all thats happened. I understand the whole reasone why he skipped the test but i feel that this could of been his chance to make a statment and prove that he is one of the best in the world all starting with this title fight. To bad he couldn’t of stopped smoking for at least a month. Only he knows why he makes the decisions he does.

• mac wilson says:

Oh it appears I had it wrong about the belt.

In response to edub, yea I was trying to kid around….It makes sence that he dodged the test if he knew he would fail it but that hasn’t been confirmed by him.

• edub says:

Ah right over my head.

• BigDave says:

Diaz is a moron and that is that. If he cant put down the weed long enough to take a clean piss test then he doesnt deserve to fight end of story.

Either way I had heiron winning in the second against diaz now i got him winning in the third against taylor.

• mu_shin says:

dpk says:
    August 10, 2009 at 9:15 pm
    I wonder what Ceasar Gracie thinks about Diaz’s drug problems?

I found some quotes on another MMA site attributed to Cesar Gracie concerning this situation with Nick Diaz and posted them here. My comment was removed, so I can only assume Five Ounces of Pain is not interested in a free exchange of information among discerning fans, or perhaps just not interested in quotes attributed to other sources. As there is no active contact link to this site, I’m curious what the policy is regarding such posts. [email protected]

• Gurthee says:

Now that the pressure is off, Nick can go relax with a big fatty. Unbelievable. I smoke the green too but I don’t let it interfere with my commitments, obligations, work, etc.. It’s obviously a problem for Nick if he’s blowing off fighting for it. Get help Nick.

• fanoftna33 says:

Is it me or is the irony of having Jessie Taylor, the guy who got kicked out of TUF for to much booze replacing Diaz because he had to much pot, just to much for drama for any one fight.
    Seriously though it does look like Taylor is on the correct path nowdays, and a win here would help his career out tremendously.

• metalmulisha says:

What’s ironic is that Taylor was kicked off TUF for his behavior and yet guys like Junie Browning, Chris Leben and several others were allowed to stay even though they acted like complete asses on the show.

Not to mention that Spike and the UFC provide these guys with endless amounts of alcohol in the hopes of getting some outrageous behavior for ratings, but Taylor made the ultimate mistake in creating a scene at a casino.
    And with the UFC being married to certain casinos in Vegas after an embarrassing incident like that happens if the casino wants something done about it someones going to pay and it was Taylor.

• fanoftna33 says:

The thing about Browing and Leben ( and I am not defending there actions) is that they did it on the show and Taylor did it in public after the show.

• metalmulisha says:

Good point fan, but I just find it hypocritical that they can sit back and criticize the behavior and pass judgement on guys who were drunk when they were acting like maniacs.

When they themselves(I’m talking about Spike and the UFC) supply as much alcohol as these guys can drink when they’re on the show.

• fanoftna33 says:

Unfortunatly it brings in ratings. And as much as Dana White tells these guys to act like professionals, then turns around and shows all the crap they do it is all for the ratings.

• Madmax says:

This may be the last straw for Diaz, If I were a promoter, I wouldnt even try to sign the guy. How much $$$ will COKER lose over this. CSAC has been pissed at ND for awhile, it comes as no surprise to me they demanded a test for banned substances, knowing all the while DIAZ couldnt pass. If he is subsequently suspended by CSAC, it’s like being susp. in the entire US. Japan will be his only option.

Madmax

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Here’s my opinion.

If you refuse a test, it should be the same as failing one. Why are you refusing in the first place? Just like refusing to take a breathalizer for a cop. It’s an automatic admission of guilt.

I think after this fiasco, where CSAC actually went well above and beyond for accomodating Diaz, there should be new rules ratified that state a refusal should be an automatic 6 or 12 month suspension. I bet that would solve the problem.

• hindsightufuk says:

fuck this card is being destroyed, fuck i wanna watch fucking jesse taylor for?
    not exactly a decent replacement. what a shit replacement fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

Taylor is a good replacement imo, not great and not bad. Ozz you make a good point refusing should equal a suspension. But in this case remember Diaz had some sort of arraingment with Garcia as to his testing and when he took them. So if you had a arraingment with the head of the state athletic commision then a new guy came in and changed it on you how would you act? I am not for skipping a drug test but he does have a legitimate argument on his side, this time.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Kinda, Fan

But also that happened in November. You’d think he’d be keen on a “changing of the guard” and see if that rule would still apply or not. Not 9 months later.

I do see your point though.

• mac wilson says:

Jesse Taylor is one pure wrestler who still manages to be exciting and I’m happy to see him get such an opportunity.

He got thrown off TUF…..but not cause he was a bad guy. There were guys on the show that were way easier to dislike and they got away with other things. (not that he should have gotten away with what he did….I completely agree about the fact that he should have been booted since it was in the casino in public). My only point is that I’m glad things are starting to turn up for him. I always thought he was a good guy. Let’s hope all those sort of behaviours are behind him and he can enjoy a long career. I think he has plenty of potential.

• edub says:

They didnt go above an beyond accomodating(and how would you know were you there). They pretty much tried to screw him over knowing he was going by an old agreement with Armando Garcia.

• edub says:

And why didnt he let Diaz know his old agreement with Garcia was going to be completely thrown out back in November.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

They didn’t go above and beyond? Did you even read the story? They gave him multiple chances to come in and get his test done.

• edub says:

They gave him multiple chances to take a test they knew he was going to fail. How bout they just go back to the agreement Garcia and Diaz made before he left instead of “Going above and beyond”.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Blame his coach. He’s the one that wanted the legal opinion.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

And by the way, was that really necessary- “and how would you know were you there”

Really?

• edub says:

What u mean?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is what I mean

“Cesar asked for a legal opinion and at that point I’m obligated to give it to him. I went back to the department’s legal team, and what they clarified was that the passionate use act in California will protect people from criminal prosecution for the use of medicinal marijuana, but it does not protect them from administrative action against a license. So there is no criminal actions here against Mr. Diaz, it’s a licensing action that still falls in line with our rule 303 prohibiting use of a banned substance, and at this time in regards to athletic competition marijuana is still considered banned. So that’s what we came back to Cesar with.”

• fanoftna33 says:

The article explained it all, it seems to me that the csac did go out of thier way to get Diaz the liscense, but you would also think that if the new commisioner knew about the agreement between Diaz ans Garcia he could have notified Diaz he wished to change it.

• danw84 says:

As has been said, if you want to compete in a sport where you know something you enjoy is banned, you have to make a decision. Which is more important, continuing your promising career, or getting high?

Another point people seem to be missing is that regardless of your personal feelings, marijuana IS still illegal. By Strikeforce allowing one of their fighters to compete outside the established rules, it could be seen as them supporting marijuana use, which is probably something they want to avoid.

It’s not like Diaz didn’t know when his fight was going to be. If he wants to smoke, I have zero problem with that, but it isn’t like he didn’t have time to let it get out of his system. It’s just unprofessional in my opinion.

• danw84 says:

As for Jesse fighting, I’m excited. I agree entirely with mac wilson about him seeming like a good guy. He just had a drinking problem that it looks like he’s dealt with. He looked great last month in Dream, and I’m pumped to see him again.

• fanoftna33 says:

I watched his dream fight but honestly how can you take anything from it, he was out there for about 8 seconds, I do think he will be a great match up for Heiron though,with a great wrestling base it should come down to who is the better striker.

• edub says:

Dan,
    Its not illegal in the state of California(for prescription carriers) where StrikeForce is based out of and where the fights are going to take place. And he didnt give it time to get out of his system because he did know he was going to be tested this early. He obviously was going to leave enough time for the drug to get out of his system if the test was going to take place after the fight(which I think is the usual procedure).

Your correct Ozz.

Caesar should have never asked for CSAC’s legal department description. He should have just said Diaz will not be able to fight if the Commission is not going to honor prior arrangements that have been made. Thanx for posting that excerpt.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Good debate, brother!

This is why I come here!!

• danw84 says:

Very true, prescription marijuana is legal in California. But it is still illegal federally, and if Strikeforce ever wants to hold shows outside of California as it has a few times in the past, it needs to follow those rules. Also, if the sport itself says that it doesn’t want its athletes on a specific drug, then Diaz should respect that. Otherwise he should find a sport that is willing to accept him and his “medical needs.” In the end it’s just unprofessional on his part to use it at all, but I do understand the other side breaking a previous agreement that probably shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

• danw84 says:

Sorry let me clarify, I understand the anger AGAINST the CSAC for breaking what they had previously agreed to.

• edub says:

Rock on.

Good to know Dan Im ready to see a preview and predictions on the whole card.

• danw84 says:

Totally. I’d have liked to see Diaz fight. I despise both Diaz brothers (I hate their attitude problems), but I’m not about to use that towards an argument that they aren’t great fighters.

But I also really like Jesse a lot, so I am ok with the change.

• Angry Mike says:

Taylor will be an interesting replacement. I’ve always thought he had lots of raw talent and want to see the guy face some tough opponents. I put Hieron in that category.