Silva, Griffin and Penn earn hefty “FOTN” bonuses at UFC 101

UFC 101The UFC announced the bonuses for UFC 101 during the post-fight press conference, and the big winner of the evening was Anderson Silva.

The current UFC middleweight champion picked up $60,ooo for his knockout of Forrest Griffin in the light-heavyweight division, as well as an additional $60,ooo for fight of the night.

Griffin, who was not present at the post-fight press conference, lost in spectacular fashion to the middleweight champion but was also awarded $60,ooo for his losing effort.

B.J. Penn was awarded the very first submission of the night bonus of his career, taking $60,ooo home to Hilo for his fourth round rear-naked choke of Kenny Florian while defending his lightweight championship.

The Fight of the Night bonus being dished out in the direction of Silva and Griffin came as a surprise considering the bout was more of a one-sided beatdown than a fight.

• dpk says:

I’m usually not critical of the bonuses that UFC gives out, but Forrest v Silva was not the fight of the night. How about the Sotiropoulos v Roop fight, or it even sounds like Howard v McCroy, and Riddle v Cramer were good fights on the un-televised portion.

• metalmulisha says:

Silva / Griffin Fight of the Night? LOL!

• KTru says:

Complete joke
    worse that Shogun/Coleman FOTN

• fraz says:

I don’t remember such a one-sided fight ever winning Fight-of-the-Night before. This fight is obviously getting the most buzz afterwards because of the bobbing-and-weaving (and yeah, if you have Tivo/DVR you have probably replayed it about 50 times already like I have) but it still doesn’t seem to fit the criteria for Fight of the Night at all.

• Rich S. says:

When I think FOTN, I think 3 round wars.. Not 3 minute knockouts.. Maybe they felt sorry for Forrest?

By the way, Does anyone know who got the Sub of the Night award the night BJ submitted Stevenson? I’m kind of surprised that this is his first SOTN award, because normally when there’s a knockout or submission in the Main Event IT gets the award.. Penn/Stevenson and Penn/Pulver quickly come to mind as main event submissions BJ has pulled off..

• danw84 says:

This was probably the worst UFC in a long time. Who else would you give fight of the night to? Maybe Penn vs. Florian… but that was boring. I don’t really think it was an even good gight, but if that’s the way the FOTN is going to go, I guess it was a fight that was at least the tiniest bit exciting.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Is this “thanks for the dive Forrest” money.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think the only reason they gave them FOTN was b/c they were the only ones that got the crowd loud and on their feet. For a minute there, you gotta admit, that crowd was LOUD AS HELL. That’s the only reason I can see.

• s13 says:

OZZZ!!!!!!!!!! DOOOD YOU SAW THAT BEATING? Oh man…I feel bad for Forrest as he’s a pretty proud guy (but not arrogant) and I’m sure he hated losing like that but uh…he did his impression of rich franklin to a higher degree (maybe even leben’esque)!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Honestly, I don’t even know who could stop him. I can tell you I may have saw it ending in a KO, but not even close to THAT!! I’m actually still in shock and awe.

Lyoto? I’d LOVE to see that fight, but I just don’t see Lyoto pulling it off. In the stand-up, Silva picks him apart. I just don’t know who could give this guy trouble.

• Davey D says:

Ozz is correct. While Silva vs Griffin was relativley short, from where I was at. It certainly got the most rise out of people. When Anderson blasted him with that last shot and Forrest went down like so. I’m telling you, the bar went fackin’ nuts! It was a real HOLY SHIT moment. So with that, I can see why they gave it them. Plus, I heard Forrest got his jaw broken so he’ll need some extra grease for sure.

Penn vs. Florian…I don’t care what anyone says. That fight was badass. You just saw THE BEST 155er ON THIS PLANET dominate someone who would beat down “most” of the top 10 at 155. Kenny didn’t even get ONE takedown and he just got done training with GSP. Both these guys deserved a FOTN honor as well. That was a good fight. Honestly, I do not see BJ Penn losing at 155 for a long time.

I also agree with “dpk” that the George vs. George fight was a good one as well. Both fighter’s put on a great performance. I’m interested to see if George Sotiropoulos (sp?) is gonna fight again this year. He looks like he could do some damage along the way.

• s13 says:

Anderson will fight fedor when his ufc contract is up…mark my words…Fedor will not outstrike silva.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

We need an official report on that.

I heard Forrest ran out of the cage not b/c he was pissed or sad or anything, but because his jaw was DISLOCATED and needed immidiate medical assistance. That would make sense….

It would just be nice to know what it was. Broken, Dislocated….?

• edub says:

Sounds like its just the UFC taking care of Griffin after a embarrasing(Sp?) night.

I would have given it to either George vs. George or Penn vs. Florian.

• s13 says:

Machida will not fight anderson and vise-versa. They are close friend and training partners. Silva admitted he’s not as good as machida as well and that machida karate is the future of mma, that is anderson’s words. I’ll take his word for it that he can’t beat machida.

• s13 says:

That fight had to be fight of the night even though it didn’t go more than a round. It was one of the most masterful dominations of a top ranked fighter in a long time. This would be equal to penn vs gsp 2 if PENN would have won pretty much…since anderson was clearly the smaller guy moving up.

• KTru says:

I disagree,
    Thats why you give Anderson the KO of the Night award.
    You do not reward Forrest with any other cash prize for the performance (or lack there of) he used last night.
    Bottom line, it should not have been the FOTN.
    Maybe the UFC should come out with a “Domination of the Night” award

• 3OAM says:

Sotiropoulos deserved Submission of the Night. That kimura was easily better than the choke-out, title defense or not.

• Rich S. says:

Ok, BJ actually DID win sub of the night when he beat Stevenson back at UFC 80.. at least, according to the Yahoo! Sports article on the event:

“New UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, who scored a second-round submission over Joe Stevenson in the main event, won a $35,000 bonus for submission of the night, White said.”

• cocoonofhorror says:

lol @ Forrest getting a bonus for that crap.

• hindsightufuk says:

personally enjoyed the Neer Pellegrino fight most on that card. I thought Josh was about to win in the last 25 seconds, i only watched it once but it looked like Kurt was almost out when Josh was using those elbows against the side of his head.

Also, what the fuck was Shane whoeverthefuckheis and Aaron Riley doing on a PPV card? was there really NO other fighters available to fight on that event? it was a piss poor fight anyway, i would have skipped through if i was watching it on dvd on an undercard. who chose to show that shit? just cos one of them was on TUF? load of bollox.

loved BJ’s schooling of Kenny, great performance

• hindsightufuk says:

you know i’d forgotten who else fought on that card.

Grove Almeida was as dull as i was expecting, Sadollah Hendricks was a soft stoppage, i dont think it would have lasted much longer but he should have had a chance to carry on.

outside of the two main fights the rest was like a fight night undercard.
    i wanted to see Tandem & Danillo fight, would be interesting for someone to post reports on these fights instead of only the fights we all watched?
    George Sotiropoulous looked good, against another whothefuckareyou fighter tho, but i look forward to his next fight. surprised Sakara beat Thales to a decison mind.
    it makes me laugh, the last person to fight for the MW belt gets the undercard while shit like Grove/Almeida & Shanewhothefuck/Riley get the main event? go figure. i know TUF is popular and all but they were both shit 3 rounders that let the whole card down in my opinion

• metalmulisha says:

I still can’t get over Silva/Griffin being FOTN.

That’s not only embarrassing, but a slap in the face to the other fighters on the card not named Amir Sadollah.

• Cory Brady says:

“a slap in the face to the other fighters on the card not named Amir Sadollah”

lol metalmulisha. Funny, but so true.

• Batman says:

The BJ Penn fight was awesome how come that didn’t get fight of the night? BJ put on a clinic he is amazing. Aside from the GSP beating but GSP is the best fighter in the world.

• shotokai_ says:

Forrest Griffin picking up an extra $60,000 for that debacle is just absurd.