Brian Bowles Destroys Miguel Torres at WEC 42

brian-bowlesSeventeen consecutive victories came crashing to an end for Miguel Torres this evening in Las Vegas at WEC 42 as Brian Bowles battered the former champ with a barrage of heavy punches to claim the WEC bantamweight crown.

The two started out exchanging on both the feet and canvas before a huge right hand from Bowles sent Torres sailing to the mat. From there Miguel was crushed with another vicious right hand as he was incoherently searching for an armbar. Perhaps referee Josh Rosenthal gave Torres a little too much time to recover as the former champion took several unnecessary punches before the bouts eventual stoppage.

Most of the card was spent hyping up Torres and potential challengers to his title in Takeya Mizugaki and Dominick Cruz, so it remains to be seen if he will be offered a direct rematch against Bowles or not. Following three consecutive title defenses in the WEC it would be hard to argue that he shouldn’t.

Dominick Cruz pulled off another mild shocker when he handed the favored Joseph Benavidez the first loss of his career in the form of a very hard fought decision. This fast paced bout between bantamweight challengers could easily make the claim for being “Fight of the Night”.

Takeya Mizugaki rebounded from his recent loss to Miguel Torres in the WEC by handing Jeff Curran his fourth consecutive loss in a bout the Japanese fighter controlled with strong takedowns and top control.

Also on the card was an exciting back and forth battle between Leonard Garcia and Jameel Massouh where both men had their opponent badly rocked before Garcia was eventually awarded the split decision victory.

A full list of the results from WEC 42 are listed below:

L.C. DAVIS VS. JAVIER VASQUEZ – Winner: L.C. Davis via split decision

DIEGO NUNES VS. RAFAEL DIAS – Winner: Diego Nunes via unanimous decision

RANI YAHYA VS. JOHN HOSMAN – Winner: Rani Yahya via submission (north-south choke) – Round 1

PHIL CARDELLA VS. ED RATCLIFF – Winner: Ed Ratcliff via unanimous decision

MARCUS HICKS VS. SHANE ROLLER – Winner: Shane Roller via unanimous decision

FREDSON PAIXAO VS COLE PROVINCE – Winner: Cole Province via unanimous decision

LEONARD GARCIA VS. JAMEEL MASSOUH – Winner: Leonard Garcia via split decision

JEFF CURRAN VS. TAKEYA MIZUGAKI – Winner: Takeya Mizugaki via split decision

RICARDO LLAMAS VS. DANNY CASTILLO – Winner: Danny Castillo via TKO – Round 2

JOSEPH BENAVIDEZ VS. DOMINICK CRUZ – Winner: Dominick Cruz via unanimous decision

MIGUEL TORRES VS. BRIAN BOWLES – Winner: Brian Bowles via knockout – Round 1

• hyperfocal says:

Brian Bowles *is* Mike Brown.

• fanoftna33 says:

This was a great night of fights for the wec, and boy was I wrong about the Torres Bowles fight! And yes the ref did let him take a few to many but man was I happy the ref let the Garcia vs massouh fight go on because that was a great fight in which I think Garcia lost. And did anybody else catch that Torres was announced from Indiana?? I thought that he was from Illinoise?

• twyg says:

First wow is all I can say and congrats Bowles. Torres is from East Chicago IN. Chicago is in IL but there is no east side to the city due to the lake. East Chicago is a diiferent city in IN close to the border with IL and Chicago.

• fanoftna33 says:

Thanks twtg, I hate when I am thinking about this type of thing during a great fight.

• mu_shin says:

Fantastic win for Brian Bowles over one of the most dominiant champions in MMA.

Having seen Bowles fight previously, he is brutally strong for 135. Thought if he could stand in against Torres, he had a good shot. Bowles weathered a brief storm and then connected with all he had to take a title few gave him a shot to win.

Miguel Torres has been a deserving champion, and an intelligent well spoken representative for the sport. He will fight another day, and when he does, whoever faces him in the cage had better be prepared to face one of the best.

• CMT says:

Bowles is a stud. He took a few good up kicks and punches before turning out the lights. It looked like a left elbow that put Torres down, but I have read a hook?? The channel was changed before I could rewind, cartoons are more important anyway. Good event.

• Rich S. says:

First off, I’d like to give huge props to Bowles.. He’s a very likable guy and I’m glad to have him as champ..

Now, I know no one will believe me, but I had a huge feeling this might happen..

You see, over Miguel’s last few fights, I’ve picked up on a nasty habit of his.. He takes far more shots than he has to in a fight.. When he has the opportunity to block, he doesn’t, he fires back.. And when he’s striking, he’s so aggressive that he practically forgets to block and focuses on inflicting damage on his opponent, rather than finding some balance between attacking and protecting himself..

Obviously, until now, no one has been able to take advantage of this.. And I’ll admit, he does have a damn good chin, but still, that’s a dangerous way to fight..

Honestly, during the Mizugaki fight, I kept thinking the next punch Mizugaki threw was going to end it, because Miguel just kept taking them..

Aside from the fact that I noticed that little chink in the armor, I also have this theory that the guy who has absolutely no chance of winning, is often the one that does.. Tapia? Legitimate threat. Loses. Mizugaki? Legitimate threat. Loses. Bowles? Too inexperienced and is inferior in every aspect of the fight. 1st round Knockout.

Miguel’s ground game is second to none.. And his striking game is still amazing, but that’s the department he needs just a tad bit more work in.. I’m willing to guarantee that Miguel with make a GSP-esque comeback and be better than ever..

I also want to comment on how Bowles handled himself.. That’s EXACTLY the way a challenger to the title should handle a fight.. He kept his cool.. pushed all the hype and title jazz to the back of his mind.. and just focused on fighting, like he had in all his previous fights.. I commend him for that because not many people can do that.. especially guys that are that inexperienced.. That attitude, and his skills and great camp, are what keep me from believing this is a fluke..

Oh, CMT, it was a very short right hook to the temple (i believe), so I could imagine why you would think it was an elbow..

• Rich S. says:

Good lord I make such long write ups after these fights :)

• hindsightufuk says:

fuckin hell!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL @ hindsightufuk

Anyways,

If anyone was disappointed by 101, I think WEC just made up for it.

Benavidez vs Cruz was an F#kcing WAR! Benavidez was like a little Ninja out there in the 2nd round! I don’t care that the main went only 1 rd. The co-main was spectacular. Great night of fights. Period.

Rich S.- Great Novel, LOL

• Batman says:

So much for ranking MIGUEL TORRES # 6 in the Pound for pound list on this site. He should be underrated after all.

• Jstew3785 says:

I had him ranked #1…. guess I have to lower him a little bit. I had a bad feeling that Bowles and his 6 year old haircut would pull it off. I still am in shock. UFC 101 was disappointing in some ways, but this definitely made up for it. WEC is the most entertaining promotion out there.

• fanoftna33 says:

I still dont think Garcia won his fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

He still hs more wins than Fedor……

Not trying to start a riot. I’m just saying.

• fanoftna33 says:

Torres is still top 10 p4p, If he loses his next fight then maybe off the list but losing 2 of 38 fights is nothing to be upset about, how many punches Bowles got in after the ko I might be a little upset with though.

• BigDave says:

Bowles had the right gameplan to defeat torres although i’m still surprised that it happend. Give all the credit to him he was able to block many of torres barage then pick his spot and boom the right hook was the begining of the end. Torres was actually caught by a right hand even earlyer in the fight that seemed to hurt him which if im not mistaken was also a counter punch when torres wasnt guarding his head. One thing I need to say is the ref needs to NEVER be in there again, he aloud Torres to take at least 4 heavy shots after he was clearly out. That is the kind of thing that is going to lead to some guy dieing in the ring, and any ref that is that slow to react doesnt need to be in this sport.

• fanoftna33 says:

The one spot that I liked was when Garcia knocked down Massouh in the first it looked like the ref was going to stop it but let it go and it was a good decision and we got a great fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

I agree with you 100% about the ref Big Dave. That was ridiculous. Torres was out before Bowles even hit him with the first left hand.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

It was definately the first left hand that Bowles threw that put him out and limp. He didn’t need it as he was already incapacitated at that point. That ref should have been a hell of alot faster on his feet.

*Off topic* Can someone please tell me what the real truth is behind Big John and the UFC?

• Angry Mike says:

Torres fights with angry abandon, and it finally caught up with him. It almost did in the fight with Maeda. Bowles won, and hat’s off to him, but the win wasn’t because of a brilliant game plan. He kept his wits about him and countered perfectly during Torres’ attempt to overwhelm him.

I like a good, old fashioned brawl as much as the next guy, but fights like this make me think that Lyoto Machida is a genius.