B.J. Penn Submits Kenny Florian At UFC 101

bj_pennUFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn once again displayed why he is considered to be one of the most talented fighters to ever step foot inside of a cage this evening as he showed the pupil exactly why he is the master at UFC 101.

It appeared as though Kenny Florian may have planned on winning a battle of conditioning against Penn as he utilized the clinch for a small chunk of the three rounds leading up to the fights eventual finish in the fourth. If the gameplan on Florian’s end was to wear Penn down and come on in the later rounds, it failed miserably.

Penn never tired in what ended up being a very closely contested battle, as he turned up the heat and finished off Ken-Flo with a trademark rear-naked choke towards the end of the fourth round.

On Florian’s end, he has nothing to be ashamed of as he absolutely displayed that he deserves to be considered among the very top of his weight class after keeping the fight extremely close before the bout’s eventual conclusion.

Meanwhile, B.J. Penn took one step closer to solidifying himself as the most dominant 155 pound champion in UFC history this evening in Philadelphia in an impressive, hard-fought championship performance.

• platypus says:

nutrition?

• EdBuzz says:

I have to say I’m really looking forward to B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez. That will be one hell of a fight. I’m hoping it’ll happen sometime around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Kenny Florian is a really good fighter but he doesn’t have the physical gifts to do to Penn what GSP did to Penn. Florian gets the most out of his body because he is a really smart fighter with great coaches, but he was clearly out of his league tonight. BJ is too small for 170lb division. I hope he stops flirting with the weight class and concentrates on dominating the 155lb division for the next couple of years. At 30 years of age he could probably last another two years as champion of that division.

• KTru says:

Extremely close?

Cory did we see the same fight?
    BJ won every exchange and was never in any trouble throughout the fight. Ken was constantly getting his head snapped back from the punches BJ was landing.
    Not a close fight at all, if a decision was coming BJ would have won easily.

Where are all the BJ haters at that said he would cry and his brother would throw in the towel?

Thats right because you have no idea on this sport and you keep your blanket statements without a clue.

• fanoftna33 says:

florian looked great he just did not have it tonight. After his last loss he came back srong I think he can do it again

• neijia says:

“Just because Florian held BJ against the fence for 3 rounds does not mean any of those rounds were his….
    Not a close fight at all, if a decision was coming BJ would have won easily.”

KTru can’t agree with you more. BJ was winning all open-range striking exchanges. Clinch strikes landed were about even. So Florian very smartly clinched as much as possible. However, hugging as a smart defense to superior striking and more shots landed does not = “close”. Still, if the fight went to decision, you know some judge would’ve scored it as such based on “Octagon control”. Dumbest criterion ever!! “Control” should be the sum total of superior control at delivering punches, kicks, takedowns, and grappling, not some weird thing that rewards hugging with no definitive superiority in the above. This should become clearer the more people see Silva or Machida fight, especially Machida (never any time wasted on losing energy hugging).

• KTru says:

neijia

you are absolutely right

BJ/GSP 1 was based off that same criteria. My fave fighter is GSP, but I felt he lost to BJ.
    That is neither here nor there, and obviously GSP is the better fighter @170

• fraz says:

I had Florian taking Round 2 mainly because he was the agressor, but BJ didn’t seem like he was ever in any trouble at all. BJ looked great tonight – He was calm, in top shape, and was simply a step above Florian in every respect.

..and thank God that during the press conference BJ remained respectful (unlike the past). I have to admit that I was a little afraid that BJ would let this win go to his head and start talking about jumping up to Welterweight again. Instead he spoke highly of Florian and said that he is looking forward to taking on Sanchez next time. Maybe BJ really has finally grown up…in his dedication to training and his attitude.

• neijia says:

BJ def learned from the GSP beatdown. He really needed the humbling loss. Looked great tonight.

KTru, I gotta go back and watch their first match. The hugging thing is my biggest pet peeve. Hugging and pushing to fence should be awarded no points in the judges’ minds unless/until it sets up definitively better strikes, throws or locks. If there is no superiority in strikes, throws, or locks from one guy, then I guess you can give it to the better hugger/pusher. But then we’re talking wrestling, not mma.

• dpk says:

I had KenFlo winning the second round. I’m wondering why BJ didn’t look for the takedown earlier in the fight, his BJJ is awesome, he made Kenny look like a novice grappler once it went to the floor. I can’t wait for BJ v Diego. The latest that fight should happen is the 2 January card, and I actually hope it happens before then. I’m excited for the next couple of years of BJ at LW, and hope he stays focused. Fights with Diego, Maynard, Edgar, and then possibly a guy like Aoki and Alvarez if UFC can sign them will be awesome. LW is so stacked that he won’t run out of good fight as long as he wants to stay there.

• fraz says:

dpk,

I completely agree with you about all those LW fights (epecially Aoki). I’d like to see Hellboy Hansen in the mix as well.

• twyg says:

BJ looked great tonight but am I the only one thinking he is going to kill sanchez? The only way to beat him is to test his cardio and i’m sorry to say sanchez is not the guy to do it. In my mind clay should have won that fight (draw at the least) but that is only what i think, and clay could test BJ cardio more the sanchez. I am not saying clay could beat BJ, far from it I am just saying that BJs cardio has always been the weakest part of his game and no one has in my mind better cardio then clay at 155. To me BJ/Clay is a more interesting fight then BJ/Sanchez. Now i wait to get killed by all of you.

• twyg says:

sorry if i spelled anything wrong that goes for now and forever

• MMA-LOGIC says:

BJ won and deservingly so. But I think that Florian was not really trying to win the first rd or 2, he was trying to wear BJ down.
    Ktru I’ve kinda hated BJ on and off in the past because of his work/training ethic and cardio. You must admit it was a new and improved BJ out there.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

twyg,

I’m not going to kill you b/c I half way agree with you. However, where I agree may differ. I agree that Guida / Sanchez should have been a draw. (Just my opinion guys) but I would definately rather see Diego “YES” Sanchez vs THIS BJ Penn. The Penn we saw tonight.

MMA-LOGIC, I was exactly like you. I hated on the guy off and on too, but he looked great in there tonight. Not just performance wise, but physically a lot better than we have seen him. I’ll give credit where credit is due, and BJ earned every bit of it tonight.

• edub says:

Id like to see BJ take on someone like Edgar or Maynard. I think a guy like that who can grind on him from the top has the only chance of beating him.

… Although Id still make him a heavy favorite.

• BigDave says:

Well unfortunatly the worst has happened so it looks like im gonna have to endure more bs comming out of bj’s mouth. I’ll give him credit that he beat a very game florian but I still wish he would get hit by a bus.

• JollyDV says:

I thought the first 3 rounds were very close. In part because there is a thing called “octagon control” that is used to judge the fights. Right or wrong, it is a factor. That said, Kenflo controlled the first three rounds. He was the one who decided /pushed the fight. Granted BJ got some nice shots in, and he defended the takedown attempts. He did not have the control of the fight that kenflo did.

• JollyDV says:

But he choked the shit out of him when it counted!!!

• twyg says:

First i think BJ finishes sanchez quicker then he just did kenny. Second and this is a little off topic but does anyone see any of the ufc champs dropping the belt in the next couple of years because i really dont. brock/carwin maybe but after that name a guy that is going to beat any of the champs.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I concur. I don’t think ANYONE at 155 is in the same field as BJ, let alont the same league.

BJ, GSP, Silva, Machida, Lesnar….. I see no one that can give any of these guys problems. I know what you’re thinking…. Carwin / Lesnar. Not going to happen. Lesnars wrestling takes the fight.

• David Andrest says:

GSP , and Lesnar are the two that will drop belts first.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Boo that, sir

If ANYONE will drop the belt first, I’d say Machida. Reason? If we get a Pride era Shogun Rua at 103, we have a new lightheavyweight champion. The guy only dropped one match in that time frame. I’m aware this isn’t 2007 anymore, but he was #1 only 2 years ago. I think he has made his adjustments to the octagon, and has the tools to beat him. It’s all dependent on which Shogun shows up.

Let the hate-fest ensue-

• JollyDV says:

It is all speculation.

• gy614x says:

This fight was very fun to watch, mostly because it portrayed BJ’s dominance at 155. Diego Sanchez vs. Bj Penn is going to be interesting, even though I’m definitely favoring Penn. I noticed Penn was really controlling his explosiveness, he waited and when he hit Kenflo he hit him hard, his punches threw kenny around when ever they exchanged.

Knowing Sanchez, if he comes out like a bat out of hell like he did in the Guida fight, he will fail, and fail miserably, Penn will take that fight no doubt like he did against Sherk, and play it smart and counter punch.

haha im already saying it

Penn def. Sanchez TKO rd. 2 or 3

• twyg says:

NO not a hate fest ozz, but i don’t think edgeing out a gassed coleman and beating a glass chinned chuck make for a guy ready to beat machida (i already have money on machida). If this were 3 years ago shogun wins but it’s not and he doesn’t. I do think you are right about lesnar beating carwin but if there is one close title fight in the near future that is the only one I see. David Andrest, GSP? To whom does he lose the belt to? I really do not see any of these guys losing, which means undercards should be better (as far as excitment goes) then last nights if champs going to steamroll through everyone.

• twyg says:

Would like to see Kenny drop to 145 and fight brown, faber , ect. Kenny could be a beast at 145

• JollyDV says:

Twyg, I am with you on that one!

• cocoonofhorror says:

it was harder than i thought it would be.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Kenny drop to 145? what is he gonna do, remove some bones?! LMAO!

• twyg says:

It’s just that he can not beat penn and what is he going to do move up? Same thing happened to franklin and he can’t beat machida and can’t move down kinda sucks for rich. What is kenny going to do beat everyone else at 155 be a gatekeeper to the title, and wait for penn to retire? It would be tough for him to make the move no doubt but what else can he do?

• twyg says:

Just to be funny, you only need one kidney to live. What about wisdom teeth and tonsals? Is the splean a needed? He could always shave his body. What about a few liphnods?

• Penn easily took the first and third rounds. An argument could be made that Florian stole the second.

But the fact is, Florian was seemingly using GSP’s gameplan to try to wear Penn down. I wonder if anyone in Florian’s camp ever mentioned that GSP had 20 pounds on Penn and is exponentially stronger so dry humping Penn against the cage isn’t really gonna do anything.

Florian had a piss poor gameplan and basically lost the fight before it even started.

• edub says:

Yea Sergio I remember hearing them in the corner getting excited earlier in the fight when he was ust pushing him against the cage. Definately shouldve taken a different route when he couldnt get him on the ground once by the seond round.

• neijia says:

“his punches threw kenny around when ever they exchanged.”

BJ did knock Florian around but one thing I noticed is he was trying to pull on Florian’s neck, at times bordering on hitting the back of the head / neck, which would be illegal. Hard to tell, though. I think it looked that way because Florian would try to pull away. I thought at that point, BJ was missing some opportunities to connect with something else. Throw a kick maybe.

• MMAfan1107 says:

Would someone tell KenFlo he needs to get in the weight room! After seeing the weigh-ins and Florian with his shirt off, he looked like he was impersonating Don Knotts! WTF? He’s got all the tools to be champion, just not the strength!! Sanchez and Sherk (again) will destroy him if he doesn’t get stronger!

• twyg says:

All joking aside BJ looked great, and if he can do that to probably the second best 155 fighter in the ufc I just don’t see anyone beating him anytime soon. I still think that in order to beat him you have to really push the pace of the fight to test his cardio and hope that you don’t make a mistake that he will kill you with.

• Batman says:

That was a nice rear naked choke he softened him up then out of nowhere he put a vice grip on him so tight. I thought it was funny how Florian tried to take BJ down the whole night and BJ tried once and slammed him on his head it was great.

• ufc_0967 says:

BJ is the best at 155 i know he could do great up at 170 kenny just opened his mouth a bit too much and BJ brought the rain kenny said he would not be broken and i do recall the look on his face when leaving the octogon no one i know proir to the fight believed in penn but me everyone over at my house wanted penn but one but no one bellieved in him but me because ive seen the best of penn GSP even did in their first fight and first round thats when he knew his stand up is not so great and fights on the ground the last fighter we saw him stand and fight was matt serra and what happened GSP got tko never seen him stand and fight ever since so GSP if your reading this where is this canadian olympic boxing that everyone talks about granted he’s good fighter and he is doing his job but its getting boring watching 5 rounds 25 min of laying on someone anyone else agree