Anderson Silva makes great fighters look bad

anderson-silvaMonths of hard work, blood, sweat and tears left in the gym to prepare yourself for a fight and in 3 minutes and 23 seconds its over. Everything you trained for, everything you planned, everything you envisioned in your mind was over before it began. This is what happened to Forrest Griffin on Saturday night at UFC 101.

Griffin was matched up with Anderson Silva for one reason, his ability to force fights and never say die attitude.

Anderson Silva was coming off of two uneventful matchups with Patrick Cote and Theilas Lietes and the questions of his motivation began to arise. The UFC knew they had to challenge the champion with someone who would come to fight and bring continuous pressure. In steps Forrest Griffin.

Griffin was coming off a loss to Rashad Evans for the Light Heavyweight belt, but he seemed like a perfect matchup for the seemingly lackadaisical Silva. Griffin is known for his constant attack and ability to take a beating and he was the challenge Silva was looking for. Well as we all know, it wasn’t meant to be.

From the moment Silva took his walk into the octagon, you could tell the fans were in store for some action. His demeanor was reminiscent of his earlier fights in the UFC, determined and ready to punish anyone who stepped into his world. He didn’t disappoint, he handed Griffin his second defeat in a row, and he made it look easy.

However, not taking away from Silva’s impressive performance, much credit needs to be given to the former champion, Forrest Griffin.

Griffin took the fight with Silva without hesitation like he has with all his previous fights. He is a self proclaimed dog, who will fight anyone at anytime, regardless of who it is. He has become one of the most likeable fighters in the UFC and even though he was dominated on Saturday night, his star status should continue to rise. Credit should be given to Griffin for entering the octagon with someone who was clearly light years ahead of him.

Silva continued his impressive run of victories in the UFC, and has arguably defined himself as the pound for pound best fighter in the world. He dominated Griffin so easily, it still seems we haven’t seen the best of Anderson Silva. I’m curious to see who the UFC matches Silva up with next, speculation is a rematch with Dan Henderson, but I almost feel sorry for his next potential opponent.

Griffin himself said it perfectly; Anderson Silva makes great fighters look bad.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Will someone please X-ray the man’s hands?! seriously, nobody generates that kind of power with a 12 inch swing, falling backwards. the man either has a roll of quarters in his gloves, or HE HAS HAD METAL IMPLANTED IN HIS HANDS!!!!!

yes i’m probably way off base, but would it be so hard to humor me and give him an X-ray?

• dpk says:

Screw the spider, his new name is the matrix. I just re-watched the fight, and it was more impressive the second time around.

I’d like to see him fight Hendo again, but I have no problem with him going to LHW full time and giving up the MW title.

• Kuch says:

Supposedly Silva broke Griffin’s jaw early in the fight, which is partly why Griffin fled the octagon as quickly as he did. It is probably also why he quit as quickly as he did.

• danw84 says:

I read he dislocated his jaw and went straight to the hospital.

Anyway, disappointing result for me, but I guess Anderson Silva really is as good as people think he is.

• hindsightufuk says:

yup i’m glad Silva was up for this fight. thing is, if he can do that to Forrest in just over 3 minutes, why didnt he beat the shit out of Cote & Leites in those fights? he clearly could have if he chose too. so why didnt he just go out and win those fights dominantly?
    i dont really care why, just puzzling still, was just good to see a chubby Anderson in top form.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I too heard the dislocation. Still waiting on clarification on that. I heard it was dislocated and couldn’t hear out of one ear.

• egad81 says:

I want to see A.Silva vs Rampage @ 205
    We already know Lyoto & Silva are not going to fight so what else is there?

A. Silva vs Brock Lesnar? Talk about cementing a legacy there it is.

• hindsightufuk says:

on a side note, despite watching mma for almost 15 years, i am officially the worlds worst fight caller. i got fuck all right on that main card other than almeida/grove was gonna be shit!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“We already know Lyoto & Silva are not going to fight so what else is there?”

That may not be so. Here’s a little tid bit from last night.

Silva: “Lyoto is my friend, he is my brother and there is no way that fight will ever happen,” Silva said.

White, coveting a clash between two men who are both unbeaten in UFC competition, brushes that talk aside.

“I’ll make it happen,” White said winking his eye. “It’s not even about money. It’s about proving you’re the best, it’s about securing your place in history. It’s about putting on a super fight that fans want to see.

“I’m all about making big fights that fans want to see.”

• metalmulisha says:

This piece give wayyyyyy to much credit to Forrest Griffin.
    Not only is he an overrated fighter with a suspect chin to say the least, but this is at least the second time I can remember him acting like a punk after a loss.

Anderson Silva’s destructions of Rich Franklin and Nate Marquardt are more impressive than his win last night, and I really don’t have an interest in him rematching Dan Henderson to be honest. I don’t see the outcome changing at all.
    If Maia beats Marquardt that’s the fight I’d like to see or a rematch with Okami to avenge that “loss”.

People who think a fight with Machida might happen are just wishful thinking that fight has about as much a chance of happening as Silva boxing Roy Jones while he’s still in the UFC.

• danw84 says:

Now I read in another place that Forrest’s jaw is fine. I guess we have to wait for the medical suspensions to see.

Forrest running out like that was lame, but you also have to keep in mind that he just got his head knocked around pretty bad, add to that how much of an emotional guy he is about his fights, and it is a bit understandable that he wasn’t exactly thinking clearly. I would have liked him to say something about the fight, but then there wasn’t much for him to say. Anderson beat the crap out of him.

• Rich S. says:

Silva’s gotten to the point where he knows he’s not going to get knocked out, and probably won’t be submitted, so he’s able to just play around and try things out..

I’m getting tired of this boxing fix he’s on though.. obviously, it works for him, but it’s really a shame to see a guy with such devastating kicks and knees just play around with his hands.. kind of like what happened to Wanderlei, only the spider is still winning..

• “but this is at least the second time I can remember him acting like a punk after a loss.”

Acting like a punk.

Wow, okay.

• edub says:

Mulisha I dont do it much and a couple things you said I disagree with, but I agree with your main point. Dislocated Jaw or not keep your ass in the ring and give the guy who just beat ur ass respect. I dont care if he took the fight and hell fight anybody at anytime. He is/was one of my favorite fighters but he came in there with a shit gameplan, got his ass handed to him, and looked scared throughout the fight. I expected a lot more.

And yes Sergio IMO he not only acted like a punk in the loss, but also showed very little class in defeat.

• I dunno, if my jaw is dislocated and I can’t hear out of one ear, I’m gonna make sure I get some medical attention before I worry about if I’m disrespecting my opponent or not.

• fraz says:

I’m not going to label Griffin a punk at this point. He is an emotional guy and I think he genuinely felt bad about letting his fans down in that fight. He didn’t necesarily expect to win but he sure didn’t expect to get dominated like that.
    People get caught up in the heat of the moment. I expect Griffin to publicly apologize in the next couple of days. If he does, I’ll accept it.

It’s like when Lebron wouldn’t shake hands with the Magic at the end of the Eastern Conference Finals this past season. It was a punk move but I can also understand how emotional and disappointed Lebron was. HOWEVER, because Lebron refused to apologize like a man after the fact (and still hasn’t), that is what makes Lebron a punk.
    Hopefully within the next couple of days, Forrest will come forward and show the class he is known for.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He took a dive and he felt he didn’t quite sell it so he ran. If anyone runs strait ahead punching like that with their chin in the air even I could counter it. fishy, fishy, FISHY!
    Or maybe not…or maybe, who’s to say?…a little fishy though eh?.

• danw84 says:

“I dunno, if my jaw is dislocated and I can’t hear out of one ear, I’m gonna make sure I get some medical attention before I worry about if I’m disrespecting my opponent or not.”

Not many people know the true pain of a proper beat down and what it does to your head, injury or not.

• metalmulisha says:

Yeah he looked like he was on Death’s Door as he was running full speed back to the locker room.
    That’s about the most pathetic excuse I’ve seen a Forrest fan come up with for his complete lack of class.

I guess from now on all fighters that take a beating are excused from acting like a professional and giving their opponent respect.

Frank Mir took a complete beating and had Lesnar get in his face afterward rubbing salt in the wound and he acted like a pro afterward gave Rogan an interview with his face completely smashed and even gave Lesnar credit for doing a good job.

Miguel Torres just had his head pounded into the canvas in one of the biggest upsets of the year and had the courtesy to shake his opponents hand and congratulate him afterwards.

Bottom line Forrest acted like a punk and this isn’t the first time.
    At least now he’s got an extra 60 grand to go seek medical attention after that embarrassing beating.

• danw84 says:

How much did Bisping have to say after his recent fight?

• twyg says:

Yeah ran out of there pretty quickly, kind of classless and we have seen it before from him. Not as bad as Lebron the bitch but pretty classless.

• metalmulisha says:

danw84 “metalmulisha have you ever been hurt badly? Do you understand that a bloody face in no way translates to what’s going on in your brain? A guy can look fine and be incredibly hurt, and a guy can be a cut up bloody mess and be fine.

How much did Bisping have to say after his recent fight?

Forrest didn’t act like a punk. Acting like a punk is jumping into your opponent’s face after you beat him to insult him. Acting like a punk is telling people you are literally going to try to murder your opponent, then quitting in between rounds. Just because he didn’t stick around to cry on camera and give an explanation along the lines of his Jardine explanation to satisfy you seeing a broken man comment on his beat down does not mean he acted like a punk.”

Are you serious? This is your argument? Really?

• danw84 says:

Yes. Is that yours?

• mu_shin says:

Wondering what it is some of you think you saw…

I saw a guy get clipped right on the button, a full on neurological knockout whose body went stiff and glassy eyed, however briefly. Having visited that place a handful of times in my years of TKD training, I can tell those of you who haven’t woken up looking up into the lights that it sucks, it’s scary, and it takes a while before the electrons get reorganized and full consciousness returns. Forrest walked out of the ring, but I’d wait to hear what he has to say about what happened before labeling one of the toughest fighters in MMA a punk.

While I know posting on Five Ounces is not about character assassination and personal attacks, I have to say that someone out there should perhaps examine more closely the concepts of logic and consensus reality…

• Batman says:

I think GSP is the best fighter in the world and he would make Anderson Silva look bad. I am dissapointed in Forrest he needs to come down off your pound for pound list. Put me on it if you keep him lol.

• If you think Griffin is a punk, it’s whatever.

But don’t bring bullshit conspiracy theories about a thrown fight into the conversation.

• fanoftna33 says:

I really cannot see Forrest throwing a fight, first tell me what he has to gain from it?
    Nothing, he already is making a six figure salary, the ex champion, and has had the best fight in ufc history. That guy is not throwing a fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

I have to agree with danw84 and mu_shin on this one. There are a lot worse things you can label a guy being a punk for but what happened to Forrest in the ring and after is not one of them, and yes I AM A FORREST FAN but a Silva fan as well. That was complete dismantling and embarrassing 3 min and 23 seconds for one of toughest guys in the UFC done to him by right now and blast me all you want but BEST fighter in 185lbs and closely the best in 205lbs. Would love to see The Spider vs The Dragon before I can completely give him the 205lbs crown.
    And Forrest will never throw a fight.

• metalmulisha says:

Looks like Forrest was in need of some serious medical attention.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

They’re gonna get you…….

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t get it. Who do we believe? Was he injured or not?

Good find, by the way, Mulisha.

Can we get a “once and for all” on this?

• metalmulisha says:

Thanks, ozz.

I mean come on really we all have a fighter or two were big fans of and like to watch, but to just excuse immature and unprofessional actions and downright get defensive about the criticism just cause you’re a fan is really weak.

• edub says:

Yea Forrest is definately near the top on my favorite fighter list, but what he did saturday is inexcusable to me.

I would almost agree with him being fined for something like that.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t really get it. Where is the shame in losing a fight to a superior fighter? The lack of class from Forrest was stifling, to say the least. One of those scratch your head and say “really?” moments.

I guess it can be attributed to emotion for the most part. It’s just weird coming from him.

• s00nertp says:

I dont get why edub and other guys are saying Forrest was disrespectful. What the heck is wrong with you.

Why dont you try & do this:
    2) Come back to this website and get the same friend to understand what the hell you are talking about and have THEM type it in a post.
    3) If it looks like “mmyy fusoding jjjawweber hhhurrrrttt” then that means you are an idiot.

Seriously, I can not believe how insensitive you are. Why not wait to see why Forrest left before throwing judgement out there.

If Forrest has a good excuse, you going to do us a favor & come back on & tell us you were insensitive and regret your posts? And how does leaving the ring really mean he was being disrespectful? Was it worse than what Lesnar did? Why not pick the battles that mean something. Forrest is a fan favorite & does his best for them 99% of the time.
    Thanks.

• metalmulisha says:

s00nertp “Why dont you try & do this 1)Get a friend of yours to beat you until they break your jaw and you lose your hearing.”

Why don’t you try this. Find someone who had a broken jaw and hearing loss and ask them what they’d do because Forrest didn’t.

The only part of Forrest that was seriously hurt was his ego.