Anderson Silva Batters Forrest Griffin At UFC 101

anderson-silvaCurrent UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva established himself as a legitimate threat to the crown at 205 pounds, and further solidified the argument that he is the best fighter in the world this evening at UFC 101 as he made knocking out former UFC light-heavyweight champion Forest Griffin look easy.

The bout started out simple enough, with both men sizing the other up, before Silva caught a Griffin low kick and threw the larger man to the canvas. It was all downhill from there for Forrest as he was dropped with a vicious left hook upon being allowed to his feet. Once back to his feet for the third and final time in the first round it became obvious that Silva was playing with the former UFC champ, much like a spider would it’s prey. Seconds later Anderson dropped his hands, a la Roy Jones Jr., and flattened Griffin for the last time with a short, powerful right hand to the chin.

An electrifying performance from an amazing fighter that further serves to ask the question, ‘Is Anderson just on a whole other level?”.

It was a performance that would make eight-time world champion boxer Roy Jones Jr. proud. Of course Jones was in attendance at UFC 101,  and it would be no stretch of the imagination to assume that the boxer’s pesence served to motivate Silva to razzle and dazzle the crowd like he once had before.

It appears as though we may have “The Spider” that we have grown to love back in his old form once again.

• Jak says:

No offense…. but that was a pretty d*mn easy fight to call. :)

• fraz says:

Silva looked like he was in The Matrix. That was insane.
    Now rather than thinking about a Brock-Fedor matchup, I want to see a SILVA-Fedor matchup. (Forrest is not much smaller than Fedor at all.) Obviously Forrest wouldn’t be able to showboat against Fedor like he did tonight against Forrest but after seeing that fight, I’d give Silva a very decent chance of beating Fedor. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wish griffen would have tried for the take down

• El Superbeasto says:

So does Forrest now have a “suspect chin”? He has now been dropped by Evans and embarrassed by Silva, that has to put him and the bottom of the light heavyweight title picture

• fanoftna33 says:

I read roy jones jr was thier at ringside to size silva up, i guess he got a good show.

• neijia says:

‘Is Anderson just on a whole other level?”

more like, “How much of another level is he on?”. the hands down thing was great cat and mouse – kinda insulting to forrest, but amusing. the “1 inch punch” while walking backwards was almost unbelievable.

• neijia says:

no wonder he feels like the only real challenge left for him would be taking on roy.

• mac wilson says:

That knockout was unbelieveable…..surely people will think again next time they want to “feel it out on their feet” against Anderson.

I didn’t think he would be that dominant but wow.

• realized says:

Anderson silva wants to leave the UFC for more money and for real competition. The UFC does have the best of the best, and he is above all of them.

Anderson @ 205 makes the 205lb guys look weak.

Fedor on the other hand is afraid to fight in the UFC, he would rather fight nobodies and cross his fingers and continue to claim to “be the best” without actually fighting the best.

Back to Anderson Silva, His last fight in the UFC should be vs Quinton [email protected]

• mac wilson says:

There are so many good fights for him at 205 it’s mind blowing…..too bad he will likely scram after this contract is up. The fans will be the only losers there.

• realized says:

• neijia says:

“suspect chin?”

• mac wilson says:

Forrest is a sensitive guy tho….he acts like he doesn’t care but he is extremely competitive as well and I wouldn’t be suprised if he fought in his dressing room after….he’s the type to jump back in the gym the next day if he is unhappy with his fight……he’ll be back.

• mac wilson says:

• metalmulisha says:

“Oh, that “run forest run” thing that griffin did at the end where he ran out of the ring… that made me loose a lot of respect for him.”

Remember how he acted after the Jardine loss?

• Rich S. says:

I just saw a gif of the finish and I have to say, that was embarrassing.. but hey, it’s Anderson Silva.. what would expect?

It just makes you feel sorry for Forrest..
    He’s the most likable guy in the sport, but his chin will keep him from EVER truly being a top tier competitor in the LHW division.. It’s a shame, really..

• neijia says:

love Jackson but Silva is whole other level against him, too. only real test would be against his friend Machida. ain’t gonna happen.

Am getting kind of excited about Silva vs. Jones, Jr. If a 40 y.o. Jones still has some of his magic, even assuming Silva loses, should be interesting. If he managed to win, maybe he could say he proved something (albeit beating an aged star). Not that it matters. But at least Silva could get a boxing type 8 figure payday. Jones, Jr at 70% of his old handspeed is probably still faster than even Spider. Something to see anyway.

• neijia says:

sorry ^ meant to say was responding to realized saying silva’s last fight should be against jackson.

• metalmulisha says:

“suspect chin?”

“nah, forrest is probably tougher than anyone. it’s just that silva is like michael jordan of mma.”

“Yea his chin has served him well in some brutal fights…..Silva just has some insane pin-point accuracy.”

No guys he really doesn’t have a very good chin at all.

Yeah Anderson Silva is great, but come on that punch that finished Forrest was similar to the going backward punch that everyone ripped Kimbo for getting TKO’d by Petruzelli with.
    Not to mention he’s been finished several times by KO and TKO, and is rocked in virtually every fight.

• BigDave says:

He is still no GSP. but impressive win none the less.

• neijia says:

I don’t really understand how that punch did it. Forrest having a “weak chin” alone doesn’t seem enough of an explanation. Could it be:
    1) Forrest was more rocked than it seemed from the earlier shots(?).
    2) Silva just hit the exact right spot (hard to see a punch coming from his hand position hanging out so low, so it just landed on the button?).
    3) Ref shouldn’t have called it? Forrest seemed to get up right away.
    4) some combo of the above?

• EdBuzz says:

I feel totally ripped off. Tonight’s card was a total bust outside of Penn/Florian and that wasn’t an exciting fight. $50 for that is a rip off. The UFC has got to put together a better card than that or they will lose some fans over a watered down product. I think the UFC fight night card they have coming up with all of the 155lb fighters will be more exciting than this card tonight.

Someone said Silva/Fedor would be a closer fight than some would think. I agree with the guy. I think Silva would have an excellent chance of beating Fedor.

I hope Silva leaves the UFC for a big payday vs. Roy Jones Jr. The UFC/Dana White and Fertitta brothers are vastly under paying the MMA fighters and it’s time some of their top tier talent seek bigger pay days outside of the UFC when their contracts are up. If Randy Couture says he was lied to about money, I believe him. The fighters need to be paid more money that’s why it’s so important for other organizations to survive and thrive. This gives the fighters another venue to fight in if the UFC wants to pay them crap money.

• Rich S. says:

“He is still no GSP.”

I seriously hope that’s sarcasm or something..

There’s no way GSP could beat Anderson.. There’s one area in which he’s better than Anderson, the wrestling, of course.. But, Anderson is apparently STRONG enough to hang, scratch that, DESTROY the Lightheavyweights.. So his power would most likely help him in that area, and he would beat GSP in any other area in the fight..

Like neijia said, the only person that could beat Anderson right now is Machida, and I still think Anderson would win that fight.. They won’t fight anyway..

Sure, Hendo has a good chance, but it would be too easy for the fight to go the same way the second time around..

And Rampage/Silva sounds intriguing, but surely if Forrest’s body and leg shots can slow down Rampage, Silva’s could..

With Silva’s plans to retire, we’ll probably never see the rematch with Okami..

Honestly, I really like Marquardt’s chances in a rematch, but we may not see that fight either..

• mac wilson says:

The thing is that Anderson has proven that his power is legit too…..it’s not just that he has great accuracy…..he took out James Irvin with basically one punch in the fight…..Irvin is pretty tough too….considered a lethal striker. Silva seems to have that combination of precision and power that Liddell once was so good at……He knows when to finish his punches because he picks them so wisely……He’s just a different kind of striker in the words of good ol’ Joey Rogan.

• KTru says:

Ed does anyone make you watch these fights?
    Does someone come to you and say “you must watch every UFC card and enjoy it”?
    Have you ever heard the term “You cut your own deals in life”?

answer these and you will have a response…..otherwise you are an idiot

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I realize I will be torn to shreds but…
    1) If that punch (a jab off the back foot) knocked him out why didn’t Rampages hard hooks and upper cuts?
    2) How after being so badly hurt could he get up, walk to the exit, walk down stairs and run a zig-zag through a narrow corridor through the crowd?
    3) The way he fell and spread his arms is not the way a badly hurt fighter acts, it is the way a guy who is giving up acts.

• EdBuzz says:

GSP is too small to have success against Anderson Silva. Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva have both stated that they are friends and would never fight each other. If Damian Maia can get past Nate Marquart’s punching power, he’d be the fighter I would like to see fight Anderson Silva next. As for Dan Henderson, I like him a lot, but a rematch with Anderson Silva is going to be worse than the results of the first fight. Henderson barely eeked out a win vs. Franklin and beat up a chump in Bitchping. I think Anderson Silva destroys Dan Henderson in the first round of their upcoming rematch. The only person who I think could kick the shit out of Anderson Silva without a doubt is Brock Lesnar simply because of his size and athletism for a big man. Once he got his hands on Silva it would be all over. Silva couldn’t get Lesnar off of him and Lesnar would ground and pound the shit out of Anderson. I think Silva could beat Fedor. He might have difficulty with Machida if they were willing to fight each other. I don’t think Rampage has a chance either.

• mac wilson says:

I think St.Pierre has a better chance against Silva than Henderson simply because he isn’t very reliant on his striking…..he knows when to just play the right game….Henderson probly thinks he can knock Silva out…..not so likely…..St.Pierres striking isnt enough for Silva…there can be no debating that now….but I still think he is smart enough and good enough all around, and especially on the ground, to get the win…..but who really knows after a performance like that.

Another thing that worries me is his size….St. Pierre would need to put on a lot of meat for that fight…..Silva looked HUGE at 205……but we’ll see what happens….Silva says he’s beatable…..I dunno if he’s being honest or not but we will find out in time.

• dpk says:

I thought it was a good card, the pacing was amazing, they got 6 fights in, and then when the main event ended early they got a 7th in after the main event.

I don’t believe Anderson is going to leave UFC, fighting Roy Jones won’t get him a bigger payday than continuing in UFC. Roy Jones isn’t relevant for the general population anymore. I hope they can make Machida v Silva (I know that they are friends, but they haven’t ruled it out for the right amount of money). I would imagine that the rematch with Hendo is next up, sometime in November, and I’m looking forward to seeing that, I don’t think Hendo will have a tough time realizing that he needs get Silva off his feet.

I see Forrest dropping down a bit in the rankings, where was the takedown? Especially after he got dropped the first time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fight Rich Franklin next.

• mac wilson says:

Silva has stated that he wants to persue other avenues and retire from MMA though. He still has some time but it may be more limited than we all think. Silva continually hints at his departure from the UFC.

He says he will continue to fight, just not MMA. He said he wants to do the boxing match with Jones after this UFC contract expires and apparently the contract is already signed…rumour has it.

• EdBuzz says:

KTru,

Do you work for the UFC?

What’s your problem?

If you have nothing better to do than come on this forum to slam people with an opinion you’re the one who is the idiot.

KTru says:
    August 9, 2009 at 1:16 am
    Ed does anyone make you watch these fights?
    Does someone come to you and say “you must watch every UFC card and enjoy it”?
    Have you ever heard the term “You cut your own deals in life”?

answer these and you will have a response…..otherwise you are an idiot

• KTru says:

My problem is reading the constant bitching from MMA fan. YOu have a problem with fighters for being underpaid….guess what they sign their own contract

You bitch about paying $50 for the PPV, guess what, DONT BUY THEM

your opinion sucks, keep it to yourself

• EdBuzz says:

KTru,

BANNED. Threats will not be tolerated – STAFF

• neijia says:

“I smell something fishy, I can never prove anything and will be ripped apart for this but I give Forrest a 7.5 for the dive.”

I’m not ripping you. If Forrest gave up, I agree he sold it well. We need to see some slow-mo replays. Gif links anyone?

I hope Silva goes into boxing. After seeing Pacman dominate Hatton, and seeing too many mma hugfests, Silva moving over to boxing would make me a big pure boxing fan. There is still huge crossover potential. My non-mma watching friends would watch boxing but dislike hugging and brutal looking gnp.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ed don’t hold back tell him how you really feel.

• KTru says:

wow
    cannot keep up on the war of words?
    so you act like internet tough guy and say “what you would do to me if you saw me”
    Original

you are as intelligent as Peter Griffin

BTW, …. chill out, Problem has been taken care ofSTAFF

• danw84 says:

“BTW, I would kick your ass”

way to get on his level.

Anyway, looks like I was wrong in all my predictions about Forrest. I’m not disappointed in him losing to Silva, there’s no embarrassment in losing to the best, but I am disappointing in Forrest’s after fight run. This isn’t amateur, this isn’t lower leagues, people have some good money on you. People want to hear you personally say why you lost and what happened. Yes we all understand Forrest is a VERY emotional fighter, but to run away like that was as disrespectful as Anderson dropping his hands as if Forrest wasn’t even a challenge.

Both men have lost my respect tonight.

• Rich S. says:

And something was definitely fishy about that fall.. This is the guy that will never quit, no matter how outmatched he is.. and here, after a jab (which, probably WAS powerful, but still), he dramatically falls to the ground, and waves the ref off.. Then he just gets up, and runs out? How does that work? Not wobbly or anything?

And most people feel that he tapped at the end of the Rashad fight.. What happened to the guy that will never quit? What happened to the guy that will give it his all and will only be beaten if he is knocked cold?

• fraz says:

Neijia,

Regarding your theories about the knock-out punch…

“1) Forrest was more rocked than it seemed from the earlier shots(?)”

Absolutely. It wasn’t really the final shot. It was the 10 shots beforehand. Forrest ate some direct hits, including a couple of good ones when he was down.

“2) Silva just hit the exact right spot (hard to see a punch coming from his hand position hanging out so low, so it just landed on the button?)”

That is possible. And if you are already seeing cobwebs, it sometimes only takes one more straw to break the camel’s back. Happens in pro-boxing all the time.

“3) Ref shouldn’t have called it? Forrest seemed to get up right away.”

NO. Forrest was down and his arms were at his side. There was no way he was going to defend himself. The ref did exactly the right thing. That fight was over. (Remember, Forrest’s quick recovery and then his running away is similar to what happened after his Jardine fight. Forrest is an emotional guy and I think he was just very disappointed and embarrassed. He is generally a class act so I have to cut him some slack)

• KTru says:

you are right dan
    and 5 ounces Staff

I was getting out of hand, and for that I am sorry

• neijia says:

fraz, thanks for your answers. just rewatched the whole match. Anderson was not only walking backwards, he was leaning back. must’ve been the earlier knockdown and those gnp shots. would love to read forrest’s recap.

• dpk says:

Yeah, Forrest was definitely still groggy from the earlier Knockdowns. He was also off balance, and his head snapped pretty good from that shot, which says something about how accuracy can outweigh power when it comes to punching. Rumor is that he has a dislocated jaw, and that he ran to the back because they realized he needed some serious medical attention. I still can’t believe that he didn’t even try a take down.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Forrest was definitely still groggy from the earlier Knockdowns”
    Did you talk to him after the fight or something? If he was he wasn’t showing it. The shots beforehand rocked him but he was stable and his legs were not wobbly. Yes he gets rocked but recovers well, as he did against Tito and Rampage, who both seemed to hit him harder than Silva. He also fell like somebody who was fully aware of what was happening and the action of his arms and legs after hitting the ground were voluntary and deliberate, He then did not turtle or cover up like an MMA fighter does without even thinking, he lay flat and waved his arms as if to say I have had enough. Why? Even if you are injured you turtle up and protect yourself.
    He either did not want to fight anymore or perhaps was injured, because he was not stunned enough to just lie flat on the ground with no defense at all, no MMA fighter of his class does that. It was if he just threw in the towel. Maybe he did have a dislocated jaw and that is why he basically said “no more please”.
    I’m not convinced.

• GetItOn says:

Update on Forrest Griffin (who was absent from the post-fight press conference) from the UG:

“I heard his jaw was dislocated very early in the fight…then he took several more punches to the jaw. Apparently he can’t hear out of the ear on that side either. He left the octagon because he needed medical attention asap. At first they thought his jaw was broken, then said it was dislocated.”

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I want to see the medical bill.

• dpk says:

They have an article on yahoo, that says Ed Soras, and Anderson approached Dana and Joe Silva about giving up the MW belt, and moving to LHW full time. I say go for it. Anderson v Rampage/Evans/Thiago/Cane/Shogun/Tito and the one everyone really wants to see … Mark Coleman, just kidding.

It would also create an interesting scenario at 185. I could see Hendo v Nate/Maia winner or Okami if he beat Sonnen for the belt. UFC would still have the top MW in the world, that division is deeper than most people give it credit for because Anderson has been so good. I also wonder if Rich Franklin would consider moving back down? A potentially interesting scenario, I can wait to see how it plays out.

• dpk says:

Something else just came to my head, they would give up the MW belt, so that the Champion clause in his contract doesn’t go into effect, and he could actually get out of his contract after 3 fights. I still don’t see him leaving UFC despite what he says, but we’ll see.

• CMT says:

It seems Ktru and danw84 had a little disagreement that was edited by the staff. I know I am a little late on this but, after seeing some of the comments, I have to agree with Ktru on the fact about MMA fan bitching about everything. These guys are not underpaid. You think you are underpaid, that is why you keep bitching. Are you going to really live your life concerened about what these fighters make. Who gives a shit, oh yeah you do. Why talk shit about fighters. Weak chins, he gave up. You dont know WTF happened. You watch PPV and instantly you are an expert. Arm chair fighters!! Most of you would shit your pants just touching gloves with these guys. Most of you would not say any of this crap in front of these guys, except the being underpaid thing so you could be all up the nuts! Quit making stupid comments just to see your words in print. If you want to leave stupid bullshit comments go to “Junkie”. This site has been diluted with guys who dont know shit about MMA. You watch a season or 2 of TUF, a few Fight Nights, and boom, you are an expert. You probably think us Americans invented the sport. Get a clue.

That was a waiting for the coffee to brew rant. Now that I am not so angry, I apologize if I offended any of you. Now pull your panties out of your ass. This site has some of the best people commenting than any other site, but lately the comments have been elementary. Please get back to better form. That is why I come to this site. Now let the hate against me begin!!

• CMT says:

Sorry Ktru and EdBuzz. danw84, did not mean to bring you into my rant.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Gentlemen, Ladies

I come before you this morning a new man. Changed, if you will. Let me explain,

I used to not be able to stand Anderson. There was just something about him that didn’t allow me to get on board with him. Still, I don’t know what that something was.

I am now completely humbled. I have NEVER seen anyone get picked apart like that. The head movement avoiding punches was amazing. The man was like a surgeon in there; Methodical, picking his every shot, making it count. It was just…… Incredible. Beautiful, really.

Again, sitting out here on the rig, I was trying to explain the background behind the fight to about 30 MMA new guys, 1/4 of which were first-timers. 2 Had DECENT knowledge, at best. Long story short, ALL of us didn’t even know what to say.

I heard “like the Matrix” about 15 times. Nobody had ever seen fluid movement like that, myself included.

I am now a fan, as late as I may be. Pride will not get in my way in admitting I was wrong and have been shown the light, LOL. To sum up that fight last night…… Wow. Just frickin…..Wow.

• dpk says:

CMT – it needed to be said, thanks

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I wonder how much truth there is to Anderson giving up his belt. That opens HUGE fight potential. Hederson, W Silva, Belfort, Maia, Marquardt…. This would really give us some great fights.

Look at it this way: We couldn’t get Brock vs Fedor, but we COULD get A Silva vs Machida. I don’t give a shit what they say about not wanting to fight. If Joe Silva says it’s a go, it’s a go. There’s your 2009 Superfight.

• m-wolf says:

That was a completely legit KO, one of the best i’ve ever seen. Forrest Griffin is a spectacular fighter. He would have to be to have gotten his championship belt in the first place. This fight said less about how bad Forrest is and more about how spectacular Anderson is. People gave Anderson a lot of crap about a couple of lackluster fights that were not his fault. This fight erases all of that.

As for Silva moving up to LHW full time, I would love to see it.

• edub says:

My points taken away from last night.(besides the virtuoso performance)

1. Anderson is a horrible matchup for Forrest Griffin.
    2. Forrests Chin is getting softer and more frail with each fight it seems.
    3. Anderson would be the favorite in every fight at 205 except for Machida IMO.

• mac wilson says:

I would make Silva the favourite over Machida….however both seem to favour the counter style of striking….might not be as exciting as we all think.

• bedian652 says:

yea i dont really know why griffin was like that, he ushually is intense, and when i was his first kick, im like ohh god.seriously he just flopped in the air, his heart and mind werer definately not in the game.I would get very emotional aswell, because obviously something happened with him before the match.

• KTru says:

In a recent interview with Dana White on Sirius Fight Club,
    Dana said that “if the fans want this fight (Silva v Machida), it WILL happen”.
    This was right after the same interviewer asked Anderson if he would ever fight Lyoto. His response was “never, we are friends”.

hmmmmm, only the future will tell

• JollyDV says:

I understand how some can feel they wasted their money last night on the PPV. I also felt that way….but! My glass is half full.

Over the years I can’t remember how many cards I paid for that I thought would not be “so good” but the fights turned out to be exciting.

The fights are not scripted. (thank goodness) So it is a chance you take on every PPV you purchase. This one just had a lot of ground game and not much standing and trading. I am glad I purchased the PPV. I always make good decisions when I spend my money on entertainment.

• neijia says:

ozz, welcome to your new self, lol.

GetItOn, thanks for the update. The end makes sense now.

• neijia says:

shows how we shouldn’t misinterpret too early

• BigDave says:

Wow I never expected the fight to be over that easy. its almost as if there was a payoff or something. just kidding! ok anderson is really that good. but he is still no gsp.

• JollyDV says:

Hey big Dave!!! Miss you!

• sensiman says:

I am embarassed for forrest. Silva made that look like NFL vs PeeWee football. Damn that was Awesome!

• JollyDV says:

I think Forrest ran out the octagon and areana AGAIN, because he was ashamed. If he jaw was hurt, he would have had the Dr. look at him while waiting on the referee to raise Silva’s hand.

• notdanawhite says:

wow. what a virtuoso.

ya Silva is the Micheal Jordan of MMA.

and I would love to see him fight Fedor. and it could be done now too, with Silva’s contract expiring. they could do it at a catch-wieght in Strikeforce/M1.

• twyg says:

Let me just get this out of the way I am a huge machida fan, and I make him the fav over anderson. I don’t think it would be an exciting fight they know each other too well. The only guy I know for a fact that could beat anderson is Brock, and along with fedor who would be fav those are the only ones that can beat anderson right now in all of mma

• cocoonofhorror says:

Will someone please X-ray the man’s hands?! seriously, nobody generates that kind of power with a 12 inch swing, falling backwards. the man either has a roll of quarters in his gloves, or HE HAS HAD METAL IMPLANTED IN HIS HANDS!!!!!

yes i’m probably way off base, but would it be so hard to humor me and give him an X-ray?

• bigpictureguy says:

Everyone is questioning “how does Silva peddling backwards knock down Forrest with a short punch?” If you watch the footage and replays of the knock down is very clear.

1. Forrest was already hurt and groggy from the prior knock down
    2. Forrest was wildly and uncontrollably punching and lunging forward stepping directly into a perfectly timed, solid short compact right hard punch on the chin by Silva.

• s13 says:

After the bs that rampage talked about forrest losing to anderson, i say feed rampage to anderson next, i don’t care if rashad is next for him, let rampage fight anderson so he can show forrest ‘how its done’. I’m starting to not like rampage more and more. He wants to talk about fighters being scared of other fighters, but oh how he forgets how he was trembling in his shorts when shogun challenged him in pride after he beat ninja.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

First CMT I think YOUR panties may be riding a little high (how was the coffee? I think you need to switch to decaf). I do agree that none of us are experts but I have seen a lot of KOs in my time of watching MMA(1-101 in the UFC all of Pride and a lot of smaller shows etc as well as boxing and kickboxing of all descriptions) and if you are KOed you go limp if you are stunned you cover up and protect yourself, nearly always, unless you have had enough! Forrest did neither! Then got up ran out of the ring?…if you are KOed or groggy to the point of giving up or being unable to even protect yourself you (usually) can’t do that. I mean I’ve been KOed and very groggy and to negotiate stairs and run through a narrow corridor that zig-zagged was not possible for me to do after the fact. People are saying he was injured which makes a little more sense (but why did he not clutch at his jaw?), because it wasn’t quite right for them either…something was a little off. As I said watch what he does when he hits the ground, he PLACES his arms and legs to either side like somebody who has collapsed after running a marathon, then doesn’t turtle or protect himself, the ref just looks at him because like me he thought Forrest was still aware, Anderson doesn’t follow up so then Forrest reaches up as if he has never participated in martial arts before. It is instinct to protect yourself! It’s as if he was deliberately stopping himself from doing what comes naturally (in my opinion). This was no KO and was not quite right.

P.S. I don’t even watch TUF (or American Idol).

• bizzarmg says:

After watching that fight its clear that Anderson is probably the best. Rampage couldn’t do that to forest, Rashad had trouble with him, and Shogun was submitted. There are only two people that stand any kind of chance against Anderson. Obviously everyone wants to see GSP fight him but it would be more exciting to see how he matches up with Lyoto Machida. GSP has good ground and pound and excellent wrestling, it would be cool to see how Silva would defend against that but GSP is alot smaller than him and Anderson would probably do the same thing to GSP that he did to Dan Henderson. Silva needs to fight Machida and then you would see quite the fight. They’re both extremely elusive, fast, and have KO power. Machida has proven that he can beat any kind of fighter and will probably go untouched in the LW division for a while. Anderson is already untouchable in his division and should just try and go for the LW title. It would probably be the biggest fight in UFC history. Forest was beaten convincingly, maybe not knocked out but when he put his hands up at the end there, he wasn’t doing that out of instinct….he was scared, extremely scared. He might’ve actually been able to get up from that hit but he absolutely did not want to, he knew that Silva was just plain better than he was and he might’ve gotten seriously injured…more than a dislocated jaw…maybe dead…kidding but serious brain damage or something.

• ufc_0967 says:

there was no doubt in my mind that anderson was going to win this bout at the same time i expected a lot more from forrest i see we have some GSP fans in here that want to see silva fight him just for the record GSP does not have the stand up game to compete for this match not even the stand up with thiago alves thats why it stayed on the ground i do believe before GSP should fight anderson he should fight dan henderson and see if he wants to take it to the ground or keep it standing because we all know GSP would get killed either way i dont know if you guys feel the same way i do but i think it time for GSP to get a real fighter kind of like faber in the wec it was about time

• ozz_the_powerful says:

You know what’s kinda comical about the whole thing, is it seems to have silenced the guys that want a GSP/Silva match. After seeing the destruction of Griffin, I don’t care to. Ever.

I would like to see him vacate the MW Belt. Give it up. Nothing else to prove. Stay at 205, DESTROY Rampage like Wanderlei did in Pride, and fight Machida. It matters not what they say; It’s up to Dana & Joe Silva.

With a vacant MW belt, set up a fight between Henderson & Belfort to crown a new champ.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would still like to see a mw tournament with Henderson, the winner of Marquadt vs Maia, Belfort, and Okami. Match them up any way you like. If Maia loses to Marquadt Hopefully a match with Almeida is in his future.

• moosebaby02 says:

“Also if Anderson does give up the belt, Rich Franklin will announce that hes going back to the MW division the next day.”
    Yes edub LMAO

• moosebaby02 says:

Im also with dpk on CMT it need to be said.

• moosebaby02 says:

oh and i like the old ozz damnit

• ozz_the_powerful says:

What do you mean? Where have I faltered, LOL??

• aces2jokers says:

I just have to say….. I’m with you guys I don’t get it either. Forrest ate wut looked like a almost a grazing short punch and Anderson Silva and called it a night. Granted Anderson Silva is a beast the man hits you like anvil and is fast as lightning; however Forrest was not knocked out. It’s clear that he was in the right frame of mind when that match ended and that’s probably why he threw in the towel. That fight looked every bit as embarrassing from home as it had to be for Forrest. I want to know why he really ran off at the end. Was it emotions or did he have a deadline to make to pay his light bill? I’m not sure but he high-tailed it out of there.

• CMT says:

MMA-LOGIC – that was decaf. I know you know your MMA, let’s leave it that.

• shotokai_ says:

I’ve been traveling the last few weeks and only just returned to reality, and the world of MMA, late last night. And after downloading UFC 101 (sorry, Dana) and watching the best bits several times over I can only say that Anderson Silva’s performance was absolutely majestic.

I can’t think of another example since the sports evolution where one top-of-the-heap fighter has disposed of another top-of-the-heap fighter (in a weight class 20 pounds heavier, no less) in such devastating and seemingly effortless fashion.

As a fanatical MMA fan it was a beautiful and powerful episode to witness. I almost couldn’t believe what my eyes were watching, and that’s honestly not an exaggeration.

Two elite competitors squaring off and the the elite of one is so advanced that he could literally play around with the other; in front of thousands of fans, millions of viewers with significant money, reputation and legacy on the line. Majestic.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I know exactly what you mean. Read my post up there from that next morning after the fight. I felt like a completely different, humbled soul just being able to watch that performance. I’ve NEVER seen anything like it in my life. It makes you wonder if Machida loses the belt (far fetched) would Anderson make a run at it?