Tim Kennedy vs. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos to headline Strikeforce Challengers card in September

strikeforcecrestA middleweight bout between a real life American hero in Tim Kennedy and the intimidating Brazilian knockout artist that goes by the nickname “Cyborg” has been announced to headline a Strikeforce Challengers card in September.

The event has been slated for September 25 from the SpiritBank Event Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The main card will be broadcast live on Showtime.

A six-year Army veteran that was wounded in battle during Operation Iraqi Freedom, Kennedy recently took a job with the Texas National Guard to focus more of his time towards his career as a professional fighter. Known for the dynamite in his hands and a strong wrestling game, Kennedy has put together an impressive record of 10-2 while compiling wins over the likes of Hector Urbina, Jason “Mayhem” Miller and most recently, Nick Thompson at the Strikeforce Challengers card that was held on June 19.

Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos is the husband to Strikeforce female title challenger Cris “Cyborg” Santos and will be stepping into his thirtieth professional mixed martial arts bout when he faces off with Kennedy in Tulsa. He’s known for tenacious aggresion and vicious strikes. Cyborg’s most recent performance was a hard fought battle between himself and Joey Viilasenor. The fight went back and forth, but Santos eventually wound up on the losing end of a split decision.

Although Cyborg is known for his punishing stand-up arsenal, surprisingly he expects this bout with a fellow striker may inevitably end up on the canvas.

“I believe I will be able to do the opposite this time from the Villasenor fight where we stood up and punched each other,” speculated Santos. “I think I will finally be able to show my Jiu-Jitsu game and surprise a lot of people.”

Kennedy, who surprised many by electing to take the well versed submission artist Nick Thompson to the ground in his last fight, likes to keep things unpredictable. A trend he promises to bring into his upcoming bout with Cyborg in September.

“I don’t think anybody can really plan to see what I’m coming in to do this time,” explained Kennedy. “I’m working with the best boxing coaches and training with Mark DeLaGrotte, one of the best MMA striking coaches in the world, so I think that people are going to see a new Tim that they’ve never seen before.”

• metalmulisha says:

Should be a very good fight. Hope Cyborg gets a win here.
    I would expect him to come out much more aggressive than he did in his last fight with Villasenor.

• moosebaby02 says:

i agree metal. this one i wouldnt mind watching. lets hope he does.
    can anyone guess who will be air something free or a big re-run on Spike that night????

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Hmmm.

He’s 2-5 of his last 7 and 16-13 career….. That’s Headline, let alone Main Card worthy?

The Farce is strong with this one.

• metalmulisha says:

Dude seriously, you started out here just hinting around at your UFC worship and now you’ve officially come out as a full fledged UFC Nuthugger.

• Angry Mike says:

The only advantage that Evangelista has is experience. Imo, Kennedy’s stronger, quicker, and has more power. Evangelista’s fight with Villasenor was unimpressive.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Mulisha get over it! It was a fucking joke! Jesus man, get thicker skin!

• fanoftna33 says:

I see a 2nd round ko for kennedy here, cyborg will not be able to hang in this one. Hopefully it will set up Kennedy with a fight with the winner between Shields and ??? for the interim belt, because we all know Cung Li is done fighting, especally now that strikeforce has gotten some serious MW fighters.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think before you have that fight though you have to have Scott Smith / Tim Kennedy II. One of his 2 losses are to Smith, and I would think that with them both being in the same organization now you would not only want that fight, but the fans as well. Smith lost to Lawler & Diaz, and I don’t think there is any shame in that. That’s a good fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

Smith is alway fun to watch and you are correct there is no shame in losing (and he put up a great fight to both) to thoes guys.

• edub says:

Got Kennedy by domination here. Hes training full time now and that is a very very scary thing for guys in the middle weight division. Dont feel a win here would produce

Anyone think Cyborg might do better at 170?

• danw84 says:

Go Tim!

• Bullylover says:

I was reall surprised at how easy kennedy was able to control the much larger thompson. Hope he can repeat his performanc against cyborg.

• edub says:

Thompson is usually a ww Bully. Why do you think he was much larger.

• metalmulisha says:

edub “Anyone think Cyborg might do better at 170?”

No he’d never make the weight. He fought at 205 for years before going to down to middleweight.

And I understand what Bullylover is talking about. When I watched the fight between Thompson and Kennedy I was thinking the same thing Thompson looked like the bigger guy. Had I not known anything about either fighter and you told me one guy just moved up from 170 to take the fight I’d have bet my house it was Kennedy.
    If anyone should consider making a move down in weight it’s Kennedy. He’s not a big 185lb. Fighter by any stretch. And considering Strikeforce’s Welterweight division has about 5 guys in it. It might be a good career move.

• edub says:

Gotta disagree with ya there man. Kennedy is a big man. I saw him at the armed forces championships a while back when he fought at 205 and he is a pretty big guy. I didnt think Thompson was bigger than Kennedy at all just maybe a lil taller.

I say that about Cyborg because he looks a lot smaller each fight. He was big and ripped in pride. But if you look at him throughout the years he is just slimming down. Could be that he has to fight “clean” now but who knows?

• dpk says:

I’ll take Kennedy by 2rnd sub. Good to see him active and working his way up the rankings

• aimres says:

Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos needs to be replaced.

• metalmulisha says:

Maybe you’re right it’s just Thompson is a tall welterweight.

I like Kennedy as a person I’ve got a lot of respect for him, but I just don’t think he’s going to beat Cyborg.
    I might be a little bias though over the years Cyborg’s been one of the fighters I’ve enjoyed watching the most.

• I think Kennedy takes him down and subs him in the first round. Cyborg is fun to watch but I think Kennedy has the goods in this one.

• Bullylover says:

I’ve never really seen what cyborg is like on the ground so i don’t know what his groundgame is like. I hope he has a good guard because if kennedy gets on top of him wich we all know is coming he is definately going to need it. Kennedy seems really strong for a Mw. i just see kennedy being able to bully cyborg around the cage and mauling him on the ground.I think tims strength and great takedowns are going to be his key to victory.