UFC Declares War On Strikeforce

strikeforcecrestIt seems as though war has been declared towards Strikeforce by the UFC based on comments made by UFC President Dana White this afternoon at the UFC 101 press conference.

White had never shown anything but respect for Scott Coker and his brand prior to today, but the recent signing of Fedor Emelianenko with Strikeforce undoubtedly prompted the most recent remarks made about “The Last Emperor” and the promotion he is signed to.

“He’ll put them out of business,” said Dana in regards to Fedor’s potential impact on Strikeforce. “They have no money, and they have no distribution. Four f***** people watch Showtime.

The outspoken UFC figurehead went on to call the competing promotion “Strikefarce”, compared the company to a local event and discredit it’s champions.

“They’re a small town show,” stated White. “Cung Le hasn’t defended the title since like 1997. Josh Thomson hasn’t defended the belt in like two years. Who’s their other champion? Alistair Overeem? He hasn’t defended the belt in like two years. It’s “Strikefarce”. It’s a little regional show with no one in it.”

Strikeforce President Scott Coker‘s response to White’s recent comment during a Strikeforce/Fedor press conference held earlier this afternoon was expectantly respectful.

“My response to that is: Of course he’s going to say that, he’s a promoter,” said Coker. “He’s going to go out and do, and say what he’s going to say, but we’ve been in this business for a long time, and I think we know how to operate a business. With the relationship with Showtime and M-1, I feel really confident that we’re going to have some great big shows with Fedor.”

• edub says:

I wonder what Atencio is doing these days?

• neijia says:

so sick of DW’s b.s.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Well, look at it this way. Atencio has had to work with the filthy machine known as M1, so he has a bit of an inside view on how they operate, and you’d have to figure he’s sharing that with Dana.

The best line of this, that somehow got left out, was-

“We’ll see how it goes,” White said. “If they want to fight me, we’re going to fight. We know how that goes, and we know how it ends.”

I just see Fedor putting SF under as well, as much as it pains me to say it. Not Fedor himself, but M1. Personally, I’d like to see SF stick around, but I believe SF signed a deal with the devil.

Those of you that think they will do fine with the showtime, here’s another quote-

“You know how many people watch their fights? Their last fight, 245,000 people watched that fight (on Showtime). That’s nothing. … They should have stayed the way they were.”

M1 doesn’t even have a promoters license in America.

• antone3x7 says:

First it was Dana vs. Gary Shaw. Then Dana vs. Tom Attencio. Now Dana vs. Scott Coker. I’ll pick Dana over Shaw and Attencio, but I’ll pick Coker over Dana.

• KTru says:

“so sick of DW’s b.s.”

Wow, you really gave him a piece of your mind.

Dana still has sour grapes for not signing the #1 HW in the world. He tried everything to get that deal done, and felt confident that it would be done. Its understandable but childish as well. I am sure White still has respect for Coker, and is honest that Strikeforce will fail. If anything, as history has proven, Fedor destroys organizations.
    Again he speaks his mind, and people have issues with it.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Everyone hates on this guy for what?

Like he took away Affliction, PRIDE, IFL, EliteXC, Bodog, Rings on and on and on? Bad on Dana for all these moron’s making piss poor business decisions. And shame on Dana for Strikeforce making the piss poor business decision of getting into bed with M-1. The very same M-1 that signed fighters to a fictional event in a fictional arena in a fictional state that is supposed to happen in 3 weeks.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

KTru says: “If anything, as history has proven, Fedor destroys organizations”

Pride, Bodog, Rings, and Affliction

• David Andrest says:

“Everyone hates on this guy for what?” – Ozz

wow, there is a statement that could apply to almost anyone involved on either side of this story.

Dana does a great job, and people hate on him.

Coker has done a pretty darn good job, people hate on him.

Fedor, is the best HW we’ve ever seen, and people hate on him for looking out for himself.

M-1 well I’m not quite sure what they have done that has offended people with nothing on the line but the prospect of watching free Fedor fights.

We can all cry all we want about Fedor not signing with our company of choice. But to hate of business people for looking out for their business seems a bit silly.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

You know me Dave, gotta stir the pot.

But as far as “everyone hates this guy for what” — I made a pretty good point.

• David Andrest says:

indeed, it’s a GREAT point. and applicable to many articles as of late.

• edub says:

Hooray for boobs!!!

Im bored where the hell is mulisha at.

• Starforsaken says:

Not sure why White feels like trashing Strikeforce. It’s not that Strikeforce made a deal that the UFC couldn’t afford. I guess that’s just White not missing an opportunity to sound like a classless jackass.

• egad81 says:

I will have to disagree with my man Dana…. lots of people watch Showtime.
    I am one of them.
    I honestly think that all this promoter vs promoter fighting is really stupid.

UFC PPV has been a let down the last few events. If you have the best fighters in the world shouldn’t they finish fights?
    I find there is a lot less lay & pray in the WEC & Strikeforce compared to the UFC.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am glad coker wont get drawn into a war of words with dana, that showes how professional he is. I wish nothing but luck to him. Now people are calling Fedor a promotion destroyer but really how has he done that.
    1 Bodog had a lot of money but absoultly no brains in that orginization, just read up on paul lazenbys blog he talks all about how behiind the scenes the guys in charge ruined it, not Fedor hell he only fought once in it.
    2 Affliction was shut down due to management making bad choices we all saw that, again nothing to do with Fedor.
    3 Pride was all the Japenese mafia.
    4 I dont know crap about rings so you might be correct there.
    Dana talks like this about everyone who is competion that is how it works, we all know this. His talk will sway some fans but hopefully not enough to hurt strikeforce.But did you notice how long it took dana to go from being very indifferent to hating strikeforce, wow just about the time they got somebody he wanted, coincedent????

• TURKISH says:

ozz_the_powerful,
    KTru says: “If anything, as history has proven, Fedor destroys organizations”

“Pride, Bodog, Rings, and Affliction”

You think that Fedor is the reason that these promotions are no longer around?
    LMFAO!

Is anyone really surprised by Dana’s comments here I mean really?

I would’ve been shocked had he remained silent.

Biggest difference between Dana White & Brock Lesnar compared to Scott Coker & Fedor is that the latter two carry themselves with class and respect and the other two are a couple of insecure childish big mouths.

• edub says:

I dont think Brock should be looked at as insecure and childish for talking shit after beating up a guy who did nothing but insult him for the months going up to the fight.

Hes carried himself with nothing but respect for everyone whos actually shown respect towards him.

No Turkish,

Maybe it’s just a coincidence. Kinda weird though… I mean think about it. Not only has every promotion failed after Fedor has been in it, the last 2 fighters have BOTh suffered devestating KO losses after fighting him. You can’t tell me that’s not a little weird.

I fear SF has made a deal with the devil. I just hope they know what they are getting themselves into.

Best of luck to them, honestly. I just feel it’s the beginning of the end.

• KTru says:

Not so much the reason…..
    But the facts provide themselves.

fanoftna33
    Affliction folded due to having all their eggs in one basket. They needed Fedor to take part in every PPV for any sort of success.

Dana does what he does, talks shit and can back it up, Coker knows it, we know it. So everyone should just deal with it.

• fanoftna33 says:

they made a deal with the red devils ozz

• dpk says:

Strikeforce isn’t just paying big money to Fedor now, Shields, lawler, Diaz, Rogers, Overeem, Thompson, Melendez, Mousasi, Tim Kennedy and even their prospects like Fancy Pants and Puder are all going to cost them a lot more to maintain now, because UFC will grab those guys up in a heartbeat, or push their price up to the point where SF is overpaying them.

• TURKISH says:

I classified Brock as insecure because I really believe until his last day in MMA he’s always going to feel like people still think of him as a WWE star.

And my lack of respect comment comes from a couple different areas first from his own mouth he’s said he has no respect for any of his opponents.

Second in a sport that used to get laughed at when it came to acceptance from big time corporate sponsors he shit on the biggest main stream sponsor in the sport. For basically no reason Dana White said himself he never approached anyone from Bud Light about anything. Not only is that disrespectful that’s just dumb.

And ozz I know I’m new to this site and I don’t know you from a hole in the wall, but the posts of yours I’ve seen here so far you seem like the last thing you want Coker and Strikeforce to have is good luck.

Turkish,

I’m about to go to bed, but let me get this out real quick.

He has no respect for people that don’t respect him. Look back at the fight with Randy. Randy didn’t shit talk him, so he didn’t do it back. He does have SOME respect. I’m sorry, but Mir got everything he deserved.

As far as the sponsor bashing goes, how many new people do you think watched 100 as their first MMA show and saw Lesnar just SNAP like that and actually LIKED IT? I know, b/c I was on a rig and out tv room was FULL (55 bodies, give or take) and for many of them, it was their first experience. They absolutely ATE IT UP. They thought he was like the second coming of Christ. Not everyone thought that, and rightfully so.

How many highlight reels are we going to see him foaming from the mouth into the camera on?

As far as Strikeforce goes, I’m not pissed at THEM. I just think they had a great thing going and now they are going to blow it. They were fine where they were, but I believe they just got in over their heads with this one. Face it, they are going to seriously figure something out to stay outta the red for the next year, and I don’t think Showtime and CBS alone are enough to do it. Maybe I’m wrong though. But I do wish them success.

Doesn’t mean they are the same quality as UFC though, which was why I said I’ll choose quality over quantity. Doesn’t mean I want them to belly up though.

• danisocean says:

SF signing with Fedor to co produce was a mistake they do need money – making a deal with m1 global is just plain bad business- as there trying to get off the ground (time will tell) I believe they will be history Dana has a good point they should’nt have gone up against the big boys (ufc) quite yet it may be there undoing.

Its like a lite weight from tuff enough challenging the heavy weight champion it will be a slaughter fest dana will run payperviews the same night SF runs there shows while M1global drains SF of there proceeds that should have brought the to the next level .

• cocoonofhorror says:

lol @ D’anus being D’anus and throwing a tantrum.

• Matthew says:

Can anyone say “counter-programming” and “lock your fighters into long term contracts”. Dana’s coming.

I disagree with the approach but it’s clear that Dana is sitting in the high-back chair, stroking his hairless cat, wondering ways to assist in the downfall of M1 and Strikeforce (Muahaha), as he has done to others previously. Such a shame. The MMA community suffers.

As i am unaware of how the TV deal side of this works for Strikeforce and M1 can someone fill me in on how easy it might be for Strikeforce to avoid being counter-programmed if it was to occur? Or even if it is likely to occur?

• BigDave says:

Is Dana White a Dick? Damn Right.

Is Dana White a good business man. You Bet Your Ass He Is.

I hope Strikeforce does well they have some good young talent and If they can find the right balance with Fedor and M-1 then the could potentialy make this whole thing work. But they will need to be smart and NOT let M-1 call the shots. Rather tell them this is what is going to happen and if you dont like it leave.

• La_Coka_Nostra says:

edub says:
    August 6, 2009 at 7:03 pm
    Hooray for boobs!!!

I second that opinion…..

• BillyWarhol says:

StrikeForce has Gina Caranza + yes Hooray for her lovely bOObies!! ;PPP

• neijia says:

>>“so sick of DW’s b.s.”
    >Wow, you really gave him a piece of your mind.
    lol, KTru, yeah … I got nothin. Really just sick of this character. Nothin else to say about it.

“Fedor destroys organizations”
    loss of a tv deal, yakuza controversy, + Zuffa killed PRIDE. Mgmt does have to make smart biz decisions. “Talent” doesn’t kill the business. We don’t have the numbers of the deals with fighters or networks so it’s difficult to make financial projections.

• metalmulisha says:

Not really much to say here.
    A blind man could see this coming.

• moosebaby02 says:

dana being dana.
    good luck to Strikeforce. and man balls for Coker taking the high road. best part for him if this is going to work is if they call the shots, and it slaps dana in the face. Sorry m-1 track records speak for its self.
    and if i was dana and Strikeforce did crumble and he never said a bad word about them until it happened and they asked him what he thought and he said well what did you think was going to happen? That would be the best slap in the face to m-1. and that includes fedor since his last press conference.
    turkish ozz…i dont know i agree with you both to late for me to go over it but lesnar is an ass and he will bring in a huge draw if he keeps it up with for no reasons slip of the tongue. thats all he knows
    know one was there to know what was going on and what was said and what was offered and now im rambling so their all lying…..but i might believe dana on this one sorry and hate me but if it was so bad you do have nothing to lose so what was offered?? good luck Strikeforce.
    oh one point..if boxing and HBO cant promote a european champion with the US viewers….what makes anyone think that Strikeforce and excuse me sorry m-1 steal what ever small % of new viewers that UFC haven’t stolen with 100???? i know there are new people getting into mma but ozz is right with what he said cause i had the fight at my place like i always do but at 100 i had 15 NEWBIES who had always been invited but always had something to do just show up to see lesnar fight. my regular 5 friends where there with me really for the gsp fight cause we knew what was going to happen on the main card and were mad cause we thought we missed the fitch fight. and all 15 of them were loving every moment of lesnar mouth after and asking to come to my place this saturday so im getting it for free. but not one of them watched the interview on line after though. and really i agree who didnt see this coming…sorry still rambling

• moosebaby02 says:

sorry i meant what was offered fedor if it was so miserable????

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Awwww poor Dana, would it make you happier if mommy kissed the boo boo better?.

Moose,

I enjoy waking up in the morning and reading your pre bedtime rambles! LOL!!

Great story though. Glad I’m not the only one that had people watching MMA for the first time with Lesnar’s antics.

Fun facts for you– I found out that they weren’t really being so nice at that Fedor’s press conference.

Another guy at another place that speaks fluent Russian said the translator was constantly doctoring-up statements to be more politically correct. He said Vadim literally spoke like he had about a 5th grade education. He said it was really weird, as the female translator was screwing up left and right.

She translated Fedor as “fans must respect me and understand my interests” while he really said something incoherent (he is a fighter not a speaker and clearly not a businessman) that can be loosely translated as: fans should not just care about their own interests but also understand that I have my own interests that they should respect.

However, in her defense, Vadim at the end said “M-1 would have made UFC famous” which is extremely stupid thing to say unless he simply misspoke, so she translated it “M-1 would have made UFC well known outside of the US”.

He also said it was the first time he heard Vadim speak in Russian, and let me tell you, he possesses like 5% of public speech abilities of Dana. His speech is more like what you hear in Chris Leben interviews. Well, less “streety” but definitely sounding like he dropped out of school after 5th grade

• gy614x says:

Someone above mentioned that the UFC has been a let down because people havent been finishing fights? and that theres less lay and pray in WEC and Strikeforce?

first of all, we have judges for a reason, i kind of see what you mean by some non spectacular performances but that happens in every sport, second of all WEC and UFC are both run by Zuffa if im not mistaken, its actually the little sister company

• moosebaby02 says:

i do what i can ozz.
    I just feel like when the dust all settles Coker is the one who will be bent over taking it with out any lube for the poor guy. Im really hoping your wrong with the whole singing with the devil thing cause he seemed to have a good thing going

• moosebaby02 says:

no gy614x you right WEC is runned by Zuffa

• moosebaby02 says:

and really where there anything false about this statement???

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Coker has been in the business way to long to let Fedor destroy what he has built up, he is the one with all the momentum behind him not Dana and it is pissing Dana off.

• jding3 says:

As much as I respect Dana for getting the UFC to where it is today I am so sick of his little temper tantrum’s when he doesn’t get his way. It’s extremely annoying and unprofessional. You’d expect the president of a big organization would act a little better than this, but no, Dana has to act like a spoiled brat everytime something doesn’t go his way, what a sore loser, one day his behaviors like this will hurt the UFC, he needs to watch his tongue.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Fedor himself may not destroy it, but M1 surely CAN.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hear m-1 wont be able to hold the next event in L A like they were supposed to

• Angry Mike says:

I read the title–UFC declares war on Strikeforce–and expected to read some rants from Dana about how UFC would destroy Strikeforce. Instead, he criticized the org. and its decision to sign Fedor. Just another day in the life of Dana White, if you ask me. Where’s the delcaration of corporate warfare?

• hindsightufuk says:

personally i hope Scott Coker doesnt get involved in a war of words, just goes about his business putting on mostly smaller events with the odd big fight. i been watching strikeforce since it began, they’ve had some damn fine shows and some great fights. i hope he keeps his mouth shut and does his thing.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Fan, you are correct. M1 doesn’t hold a promotor’s license in the US, period.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Here’s a link if you want to read (laugh) about it

deleted – no links to other sites please

• metalmulisha says:

You mean California not the U.S.

A promoters license is given out by State Athletic Commissions.

M1 had a event in Kansas City a couple months ago.

• I think it’s great. It means more live specials and competitive programming from UFC.

The call was a joke. Strikeforce should get out of bed ASAP with this company.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Correct you are!! Good looking out!

I was under the impression they didn’t have one in Nevada either

• moosebaby02 says:

i had to read that over a couple of times. the event has been changed to Aug 28 and its now the 7th…….but they havent found a palce to hold it yet….and no one has a license???? Seems a little mickey mouse to me considering that M-1 is such a power house that they would have made the UFC famous outside of the U.S. with the signing of fedor, they cant dot all their i’s or cross their t’s. hold on let me read that article again. thanks alot ozz cause no i feel so stupid i HAD TO HAVE missed something in that link

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope they get a deal done because I was looking forward to seeing Don Frye vs King Mo.

• metalmulisha says:

ozz_the_powerful “I was under the impression they didn’t have one in Nevada either”

They probably don’t. I was simply pointing out they promoted events in the U.S. before.

• moosebaby02 says:

after reading it over and over still mickey mouse to me

• ozz_the_powerful says:

SNAP!! Shut down on the link!

I’ll remember that in the future, sorry!

• Funny. Didn’t White say a while back Strikeforce is one of the only promotions doing it right? He could be right though, depending on how much tehy are paying Fedor he could put a hurting on their financial situation. It has yet to be seen how much money Fedor can bring in in the US.

• Cory Brady says:

No apologies necessary ozz. It’s just that if I let a few slip by, it could get really out of control. Thanks for understanding.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ozz yes Fedor destroyed Affliction, Rings, Bodog etc and I’m pretty sure he was responsible for the killing of JFK, 9/11 and lighting the Chicago fires. You are right he and M1 are the devil.

P.S. Just quietly…I think he helped fake the moon landings.

Are you SERIOUS!!!!

That ASSHOLE!!!

(*hey….you don’t think he’s listening right now….do you*)

• moosebaby02 says:

hehehehehe

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yes. Thats why I’m whispering.