Ed Herman Replaces James Irvin, Will Face Wilson Gouveia at UFC 102(UPDATED)

ufc 102

Editors Note: It has recently been revealed that Gouveia has suffered a back injuury and will be unable to compete at UFC 102 as expected in a report from MMAJunkie.com. No news of a replacement opponent for Ed Herman in this musical chairs of injured fighters is available at this time.

With James Irvin sidelined due to a knee injury, Ed Herman (15-7 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has agreed to step in as a replacement and fight Wilson Gouveia (12-6 MMA, 6-3 UFC) on the preliminary card of UFC 102 on August 29 in Portland, Oregon.

The news of the expected match-up comes courtesy of a recent report by Sherdog.com.

Herman was originally supposed to face Aaron Simpson at UFC Fight Night 19 in September. While the bout is still posted on the UFC’s official website, it will now be canceled so Herman can meet Gouveia at UFC 102.

Herman last stepped into the Octagon in April, earning a unanimous-decision win over David Loiseau at UFC 97. The victory snapped a two-fight losing streak for Herman.

Gouveia is hoping to rebound from a third-round TKO loss to Nate Marquardt at UFC 95 in February. Gouveia had recorded back-to-back victories over Jason MacDonald and Ryan Jensen before his loss to Marquardt.

The expected card for UFC 102 is listed below:

vs. Tim Hague
Nick Catone
vs. Mark Munoz
Evan Dunham
vs. Matt Veach

• TURKISH says:

This fight just got a lot better.

• La_Coka_Nostra says:

I agree with Turkish i think Ed Herman is alot more well rounded than James Irvin. I.E. his wrestling ability.

• fanoftna33 says:

WOW I never would have thought James Irvin would miss a fight with a knee injury…
    Seriously Govia vs Herman is a better fight and for the winner a good quality win. I like Govia in this one by ko, although I really like Herman, he is as tough as they come. This is a all around good card I cant wait, although I do have to question why Gonzaga always gets to fight a newcomer after every loss? It seems like the ufc really wants us to think this guy is a top 10 HW by padding his record.

• metalmulisha says:

I have to say I’m looking forward to this event more than 101.
    I also think not only is this fight better with Herman replacing Irvin, but I’d rather watch this fight than a couple on the main card.

And keep an eye on Todd Duffee the guy’s only had four fights as far as I know, but I saw him fight Assuerio Silva in Jungle Fight and he beat the hell out of him. The guy looks like a legit Heavyweight prospect.

• antone3x7 says:

Justin “The American Fedor” McCully is apparently big time now that he just goes by “McCully”?

Sucks to hear about Irvin. Second straight fight he’s had to pull out due to injury, hopefully he can leave his house with tearing anything.

• KTru says:

You did not know that about McCully? Of course he is a one-name fighter.
    He is an unstoppable force that has not been tested yet in his career. Never mind that little bump in the road loss to Gabe Gonzaga. I mean, he is already a household name…….maybe within his own home.

Speaking of GG, this is no easy fight for him. He is not being hand-fed a can, Chris Tuchshererchshereresshchchrerhc is the real deal.

• cocoonofhorror says:

RIP Ed Herman.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Am I the only one excited to see Krzysztof Soszynski? This guy is like the ultimate replacement plan. 3-0 UFC and riding a 6 fight win streak. I respect this guy cause he’ll take any fight he can get. I like that.

Glad to see him on the main card again too. I’m predicting Krzysztof to be too much for “The Truth” and see this fight ending in the stand up, via strikes.

• fanoftna33 says:

That fight looks great Soszynski vs Vera. I dont know which way I am pulling for it though, stand up for Vera and ground game is a toss up. Maybe Sos with his size advantage can get a ud, I am pulling for him.

• fanoftna33 says:

Jardine vs Silve will be a great fight also, and since I acually meet Jardine(for about 1 minute) I will be pulling for him. I dont think Silve has the chin to handle Jardine. Silva just got koed and in the fight before that against Mendes, it looks like it will be another short night for him.

• Jstew3785 says:

Yeah, McCully is the reason Fedor did not come to the UFC. He’s scared to death of him……

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m definitely looking forward to this card more than 101. Although I am so curious to see what the hell is going to happen between Griffin and Silva. I kind of feel the same way about the Couture vs Noguiera fight. Marquardt vs Maia should be for the #1 contender spot. Both are more deserving than Henderson in my book.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree with jstew. I would rather see Maia or Marquadt face Silva, or Henderson for the guarenteed next title shot than Silva Henderson.

• moosebaby02 says:

ozz i love “The Polish Experiment”. not only does he always remember to give some kind of shout out to Canada he is just a great fighter. i was so sure he was going to win the ultimate fighter when he was on it. never scared to step up and has a weird sense of humor. come on moving all the furniture out of the house outside all by himself is weird but still funny to me. he is one to be looking too in the future. plus i dont like vera so thats my argument for the fight. i will have a full break down of that card when the time is ready. most likely in the morning for ozz when he wakes up lol

• moosebaby02 says:

oh and Herman is a 100% better (being on the card) then drug test failur irvin

• cocoonofhorror says:

i think Irvin is a lot better than Herman, but neither one was going to beat Gouveia. Gouveia via TKO rd. 1.

• metalmulisha says:

The only thing Irvin has over Herman is punching power.

• hindsightufuk says:

dammit that was a fight i wanted to see

• Rich S. says:

Sick card..

None of Gouveia’s opponents show his striking respect (except for Marquardt of course).. I think Herman’s going to box with him for a while, where he could easily make a mistake and get caught.. If he holds his own there, I’m not sure how long he’ll last on the ground..

Gotta love a good submissionist with heavy hands.. always a deadly combination..

• edub says:

Gotta love the attention Gouveia is gettin on here. Im a fan and I wish he could put it all together, but I think his showcase fight (which I think wouldve taken place with Irvin) just became a horrible match up for him. His T/D defense is not that good, and he usuallt wilts under pressure. Terrible match up for Gouveia IMO.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Hate to break the bad news guys, but Gouveia also has had to bow out of the contest due to a back injury.

Seems like the injury plague is getting everyone right now

• edub says:

Goddamn. They should get either Sonnen of Miller to replace him.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Here’s my thought- Denis Kang.

• edub says:

Thatd be a good one too. Or bring in Belcher for a rematch.

• moosebaby02 says:

No Kang never thought of him. He needs another win not guaranteeing it just saying he could. Would love to see the list they had for possibilities and who they called first and far down they had to go????

• Should be a good fight. I love watching Wilson fight, always puts on a good show.

• ihateurface says:

RIP Ed Herman!

• fanoftna33 says:

So no fight at all i guess. Its to bad that would have been a good fight.

• ihateurface says:

Simpson will dominate Herman…