Joachim Hansen vs. Shinya Aoki III set for lightweight championship at DREAM 11

Joachim HansenDREAM has made a rubber match for the organization’s lightweight championship official as defending champion Joachim Hansen will face off with Shinya Aoki for the third time at DREAM 11.

The event is set to take place at the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan on October 6 and will air live on HDNet in the United States.

The first bout between the two saw Hansen coming up on the stinky end of an Aoki gogoplata at “PRIDE Shockwave 2006”, before Hansen evened the score by pounding Aoki senseless in their rematch that took place in the finals of the 2008 DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix.

It remains to be seen if ring rust will be a factor for the well rounded Norwegian commonly referred to as “Hellboy” by his fans, as Hansen’s last victory was the previously noted victory over Aoki in July of 2008, while the spandexed submission specialist from Japan has been as active as ever, putting together a 4-1 record in the year since the two last met.

DREAM 11 is quickly taking form as one of the most intriguing in the promotion’s history with the recent addition of the lightweight title bout between Hansen and Aoki. Also announced for the card will be the closing series of “Super Hulk” tournament bouts, and a still expected middleweight championship bout between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Jason “Mayhem” Miller.

• edub says:

I make no predictions of the outcome of the fight, but my prediction for “if the fight actually happens or not” is 40/60. 40% for its going to happen.

• meatloaf says:

The Hansen and Aoki rubber match will be great. The fight is going to happen eventually.
    I mean it hasn’t been put off as much as Amir Sadollah’s debut after TUF.

I give the 3rd Jacare/Mayhem fight a 0% chance of happening.

• edub says:

Its been pretty close man Sadollah won TUF in June? And Hansen hasnt fought since July.

• dpk says:

If it happens, the result will be Aoki by submission.

• fanoftna33 says:

This will be the first time I get to see Hansen fight, I cant wait for this. Miller vs Souza will be a tough fight to call, but I will go with miller by decision.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’ll always try and watch Joachim fight, he’s always in entertaining fights. most of his pride, shooto or dream fights are worthy of viewing

• edub says:

Very entertaining to say the least hindsight.

• antone3x7 says:

Tough fight to call, but I think it’ll go Hansen’s way via the same as their second fight. TKO.

• metalmulisha says:

I like Hansen here. I think he’ll be able to land punches on Aoki again and get a stoppage.

If this Dream/Strikeforce alliance works like I’m hoping it does albeit a little skeptical about.
    A Lawler vs Manhoef brawl would be the fight I’d want to see most of all and a match between Hansen and Thomson would be right after that.