UFC 101 Preview and Predictions: The Main Card

UFC 101After more than a week of Fedor-Hysteria that has left the mixed martial arts community in a state of recovery, FiveOuncesOfPain is here to clear your head of all things Emelianenko while we dive headfirst into what promises to be an exciting night of fights in the first event of the new age of the longest running promotion in the business, UFC 101.

The event is set to take place this Saturday night, August 8 from the Wachovia Center in Philedalphia, Pennsylvania and will air live on Pay-Per-View.

Come along as I take a closer look at the main card match-ups from this highly anticipated card that features a lightweight championship bout between B.J. Penn and Kenny Florian, and a 205 pound showdown between former UFC light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin and current middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian

The only way B.J. loses this fight is if B.J. beats himself. Not taking anything away from Kenny Florian. The guy’s an absolute stud that has done nothing but impress me more and more with every passing bout. Penn is just a little better in every area.

If they had a straight up submission match, B.J. wins. Boxing? Penn has the edge there too. Florian may have the more technical kicks but the power B.J. carries in his fists at 155 pounds should be able to neutralize that. The wrestling has to go to Penn just based on the fact that he has a history of being nearly impossible to take down. In my mind, no other fighter has the sense of balance in the cage that Penn has. The man is like a cat. His dexterity makes him nearly impossible to drag to the canvas and I can’t imagine Florian will be the guy solve the physical riddle that is B.J. Penn.

Ken-Flo’s best chance in this fight would be to keep this fight on the feet and somehow try to outpoint Penn with kickboxing in the same manner that he did to Roger Huerta. I feel like B.J. is intelligent enough to take the fight to the canvas if the going gets tough, but I don’t think it’s going to get that tough on the feet to begin with.

Penn is just one of those guys. He’s part man, part alien. The only lightweight that will beat him in the next two or three years will be himself. It’s always been like that for the uber-talented pride of Hawaii.

Winner: Penn via Unanimous Decision

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin

While I don’t expect for this fight to be nearly as boring as Silva’s last two fights, I do expect for Griffin’s exciting and aggressive style to play right into the spider’s web. The UFC made this fight for a reason. They wanted to be absolutely sure they forced Silva to fight this time around, and who better way to insure the middleweight champion entertains the paying fans than matching him up against a very dangerous and much larger Forrest Griffin in a non-title affair.

Griffin has two decisive advantages in this bout: He’s a light heavyweight, and he’s a MASSIVE light-heavyweight. As big as they get for men that compete at 205 pounds. However, it’s not about size alone for Forrest, as he’s displayed in the past against similarly large men such as Quinton Jackson and Mauricio Rua. Size will only get you so far though, and one could never discredit the fact that Griffin is extremely tough, talented and well-rounded.

It’s this combination of factors that should place Silva smack dab in the middle of the toughest fight of his mixed martial arts career. Luckily for Anderson, he’s every bit as gifted as everyone says he is, and the difference in this bout will come down to technicality. I expect for Silva to utilize his clinch game as much as possible. Eventually Griffin will become aggressive and that should be his downfall.

Winner: Silva via TKO

Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks

Let’s be real folks, this card takes a tremendous drop-off in so many ways prior to the previously analyzed bouts. I’v e said it, and I’m done with it. Moving on…… So we have The Ultimate Fighter Season 7 middleweight winner Amir Sadollah with a career record of 1-0 facing off with former Division I wrestling champion Johny Hendricks, who sports a career record of 5-0.

Hendricks will be making his UFC debut at 101 with his last bout being a unanimous decision over Alex Serdyukov at WEC 39 on March 1 of this year, while Sadollah will be fighting for the first time since beating C.B. Dollaway to win the Ultimate Fighter crown back in June of 2008.

This is an incredibly tough fight to call, and a fight I feel comes down to one factor: How is Hendricks’ submission defense. It’s going to be up to him as far as where this fight ends up, and the smart thing would be to take the more experienced kickboxer to the canvas. If Hendricks can avoid an Ultimate Fighter armbar he should be able to grind out a unanimous decision.

Winner: Hendricks via Unanimous Decision

Kendall Grove vs. Ricardo Almeida

Grove is a talented guy and his reach makes him extremely dangerous when he uses it like he did in his last fight with Jason Day, but Almeida’s much improved stand-up in his previous victory over the unpredictable Matt Horwich has left me confident that the “The Big Dog” will be able to stay out of danger on the feet. At least long enough to get the fight to the ground where the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt will have a ridiculous advantage in the submission department over Grove.

Look for Almeida to take the top position early in the first after setting up the takedown with his much improved boxing. From there it shouldn’t be long before he takes one of Grove’s extremely long limbs home with him.

Winner: Almeida via Submission

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Josh Neer

This is one of those classic fights you just hate to call. I’d possibly give Pellegrino a slight edge in the wrestling department, Neer an edge in the submission category, and I’d say the striking is a wash. Two very tough lightweights that consistently bring a style in the Octagon that’s impossible not to love. If the two headlining bouts disappoint in the least, this fight is a shoe in for fight of the night.

I really don’t know what to expect in this fight outside of tons of action, and possibly a good amount of bloodshed. I know I can’t predict a draw, that would be insanely lame,but I would if I could get away with it in this instance.

Winner: Josh Neer via Split Decision

Be sure to check back in the coming days as I take a look at the undercard scheduled for UFC 101 which features the likes of Thales Leites, Tamdan McCrory, Alessio Sakara, Matt Riddle and many more.

• Jak says:

I think Neer/Pelli, Almeida/Grove and Amir/Hendricks all have so many variables that could make each fight go either way.

Amir with cage rust, well… i think he still might be at 0-0…?

i would like believe that Almeida takes this one. Grove isn’t going anywhere, but Almeida has been hit and miss with his recent fights.

Neer/Pelli.. I think Near has more mental toughness in this fight, but it’s hard to root against anybody named Batman,

Silva… i agree, ko. easy night.

Penn.. i disagree. i think he will finish Florian. but i agree with the Penn pick. :)

• danw84 says:

If there’s a guy to pull the upset on Silva, it’s gonna be Forrest. Forrest is going to hit Silva, and he’s going to hit him hard.

I’m saying it right now, Forrest by TKO.

• Jak says:

I just can’t see Forrest with the upset. At least guys like Hendo and guys like that have ko power to end a fight. Griffin doesn’t, even if he can get Silva down for a round or 2, it still just takes one punch from Silva to turn the fight around.

• danw84 says:

Just like it takes one punch from any fighter to turn around or even end a fight. That’s not a very useful argument.

• fanoftna33 says:

I agree with all of thoes picks except for one.
    I will take pelligrino over neer in a great fight. Both are tough but the wrestling goes to bat man and the win.
    By the way when are we going to see the duel again, i loved thoes articles?

• Jak says:

“that’s not a very useful argument.”

Umm… neither is yours? Griffin doesn’t knock people out, he fights like Couture does, gameplans and attempts to pick people apart. That said, you can argue with me on Saturday after Griffin is predictably tko’d. 😉

• dpk says:

I agree with these picks, there is a big drop off after the top 2 fights, but at least all of those fights are pretty evenly matched and have the potential to be some all out great fights.

• danw84 says:

“Griffin doesn’t knock people out, he fights like Couture does, gameplans and attempts to pick people apart.”

Did you not notice the T in my prediction? I never said Forrest will knock him out, although he does have the power to at least rock Silva with a good punch (assuming Silva lets one in). I pick a TKO because I think Forrest, as a guy who is such a gameplan fighter, will be able to find a way to beat Silva, and I’m hoping in doing so he manages to finish.

If you want my more general belief, I think Forrest is going to win. I’m aware of the likelihood (or more accurately the unlikelihood) of it, but I’m still going with the upset. As I said before, if there’s someone who could pull it off, it’s Forrest.

• Rich S. says:

Originally I would’ve bet my house on Penn coming in unprepared and/or underestimating Florian, and losing.. But it seems as though he’s extremely focused and may even be in the best condition we’ve ever seen him in.. Either way, this is going to be the best Florian we’ve seen yet, and it will be the hardest fight BJ has had at Lightweight since his return to the UFC back in 06.. I can’t really pick how this is going to go, though.. I don’t know if Penn is going to fly through Florian like he did Stevenson, or if he’s going to knock him out, or control him for 5 rounds, OR if Florian is going to get a TKO, or submission, or decision.. The thing is, it’s easy to pick any of those for Penn, but it’s really hard to BELIEVE that Florian is going to submit Penn, and even harder to believe that he’s going to knock him out, and EVEN HARDER to believe that he could control Penn for a 5 round UD.. The UD being the most possible out of those..

With that said, I would love to see Florian get the title.. He’s the best fighter in a division that has a champion leagues above any of the other competitors.. It’s a shame that he has to win 5-6 fights straight against very tough guys, ONLY to face BJ Penn, the scariest Lightweight the world has seen..

Like I said, I would love to see Florian win, he REALLY deserves it, but I just don’t see how he would, UNLESS BJ comes in unfit, and it doesn’t look like we’re going to see that..

I think Florian will take some hard shots, and have to fight off alot of submissions, but he’ll probably make it through the five rounds and lose a unanimous decision..

Now, Forrest vs. Anderson. This one’s tough for me too. Tougher. You see, Anderson has been a little different as of late.. He did great in the Cote fight, but he seemed to be giving him a little too much respect. Here we have the man who destroyed Rich Franklin in his own game 2 times. He destroyed Marquardt in HIS OWN GAME, on the ground. And he did the same for Henderson. Those are the 3 best fighters in his division, and they were made to look like fools. Then he beat Cote, an unworthy contender an many minds, in the 3rd round, ONLY because Cote’s knee blew out. Something was fishy there but I was willing to write it off. Then comes Silva/Leites. I’ll let that one speak for itself. I know it doesn’t help that Leites wouldn’t engage, but that was still pretty bad.

So, I’m wondering if Anderson is actually going to attack early, or let himself fall into Forrest’s gameplan.. Anderson is the easy pick here. But, Shogun and Rampage were the easy picks too.. And after those fights it’s going to be hard for me to every pick against Forrest when he’s the underdog.. He’s almost the perfect fighter.. Because, he’s not a great striker, and he’s not a great submissionist (compared to other greats), and I think that may lead to ALL OF HIS OPPONENTS taking him lightly :)

I want to pick Forrest by decision, but Anderson may be looking for a devistating win after his last two fights.. I just don’t know what to expect..

I can’t remember the last time I had this hard of a time picking winners..

I guess my final picks are:

Penn via UD
    Silva via TKO r2

Oh, and go ahead and put Neer/Pellegrino down for FOTN..

• Persian_Prince says:

actually i think u will be eating your words on every count lol

Kenny by TKO! Forrest by Decision! Amir by Submission! Kendall by TKO! Pallegrino by Decision!

• BigDave says:

ok im only gonna talk about the top 2 fights cause the rest of the card blows.

Silva vs. Griffin. Finally silva is gonna step up against a guy that isnt gonna bitch out when he gets hit. Griffin will be able to weather the storm and get silva to the ground where silva hates to go then he will armbar him.
    Griffin by sub rd2

Penn(a.k.a. whiny bastard) vs. Florian. Penn will come in his usual under prepared condition and will be out classed and pounded on from the outset. Florian will control the fight and just litarally beat him till either he taps or her bitch ass brother throws in the towel. Then penn will plug his website where he will say the reason he lost was cause the lights where to bright in the arena and he couldnt see or some other bs excuse other then admitting that he got beat by a better fighter.

Can you tell I hate Penn’s guts? 😉

• Persian_Prince says:

BigDave: i agree with you 100% regarding Penn, the chronic excuse maker!

• BigDave says:

Oh and Cory Please do us all a favor and get off BJ’s nuts. Your way to in love with this dude. He isnt as great as you seem to think and he has proven he isnt that bright. He showed us clearly in the fight with Rush that he wimps out when he is pressured and kenny will be comming nonstop.
    [Cory: For your information BigDave, I’m not even a big B.J. Penn fan. So I think that he’s talented and he’s going to beat Kenny (by decision) and I’m automatically on his nuts? Ridiculous]

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I really like Florian in theis fight too. His focus just seems second to none right now. He’s went 6 in a row, TKO’d Lauzon, 4 submissions (including Stevenson), with the one decision being Huerta.

Kenny Florian finishes fights — and I would expect nothing different here.

BigDave, I agree with your assesment of Penn, 😉

As much as I would like to see Diego vs BJ, my feeling is it’s going to happen, just not with a belt at stake.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Oh,

And what the Hell happened to The Duel?? That used to be my favorite part about this site.

• CMT says:

I don’t usually pick fights, but I have to against the top 2 picks. Florian, because I don’t like Penn and Griffin, because I think Silva has his mind on boxing and wants to get out of MMA. Those are my arguments, eerrr opinions. Hey Ozz, you offshore? I am looking for the free fights this go around!!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Yeah, I’m offshore, out in the Garden Banks block on a Chevron job. Unfortunately, Chevron decided to cheap-out and not buy the fight for us, won’t let us pay for it, and the damned ‘net is so slow it’s pointless to watch it online, ordered from UFC, of course 😉

• CMT says:

That suck! I found a few places around town to watch. Trying figure out a way to get free drinks though. May have to smuggle in a flask of Kentucky Deluxe!!

• JBAR says:

I could see Florian opening BJ up with an elbow much like GSP did and it ending in a doctors stoppage.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason I just have it in my head that Kenny is going to come out like a house on fire; Just completely overwhelm BJ. I know that might be hard to believe, but Ken’s hungry. BAD.

I really don’t think BJ is going to be there mentally either. After Greasegate and the way fans have kinda walked away from him, I just think he’ll have problems getting into a groove.

LOL @ Kentucky Deluxe!!

• KTru says:

I still cannot believe the moronic posts that spew from this site, specifically the readers.
    People get all bent out of shape for disagreeing with ones opinion. Calling out the Cory for being on “BJ’s nuts” , because he has an opinion that differs from yours. All the haters against BJ, forgetting that he is on another level than any…..ANY…opponent in the LW division. Florian is great, without a doubt, but he is no GSP and not on the same platform as BJ.
    Its funny to read the ridiculous statements and sad that MMA fan works with blinders.
    Name the last guy Forrest has knocked out “or (T)KO” from the top of your head…..go ahead, I’ll wait…..

BTW….Ozz, have you been around here long enough to know what “The Duel” was?
    I mean, you did not even know who Dave Andrest was. Also, before you look it up, do you know who used to write it?
    And you were celebrating prematurely about having that so-called “scoop” on Fedor’s signing w/UFC in that L.A. Times report. So try not to pat yourself on your back so quickly.

• David Andrest says:

I say this in all seriousness. I honestly appreciate those people who picked Ken-Flo based upon just simply not liking Penn. I appreciate the honesty rather than someone trying to pretend Kenny is better anywhere.

This is a very strange fight, the whole vibe around it has been bizzarre. Could it be that Kenny has had a camera or mic shoved in his face for the last 6 weeks, and everywhere you look we see pic’s, interviews, and news about how “Focused” Kenny is going into this fight?? Maybe.

Kenny is a great fighter, 155 is deep water and Kenny is among the best in the world there. He constantly works and improves his game.

I pick based upon ways to win most times, and Penn has more ways to win the fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

LOL, no KTru, you got me. I don’t. Seriously?

Dude, I have a lot of respect for you and your posts, as I used to read them all the time when you posted. Why throw me under the bus like that? Jesus, God forbid I read this site all the time and just chose not to post.

Also, yeah, I was trying to bring a bit of news to the community to see others opinions on the matter. Sorry for trying to contribute.

I used to look forward to reading your posts and appreciated your insight.
    Why be such an asshole? God forbid I treasure this site now and not back in its infancy.

• KTru says:

I am sorry, most of my disdain was towards Big Dick, I mean Dave, however I am old school 5 ounces poster and have not been around much lately.
    I see you over at Junkie, but you do not say much there. Your opinion is spot on

• ozz_the_powerful says:

KTRU,

I still have the UTMOST respect for you, and hopefully you stay around this time, LOL. I really enjoy your thoughts and wealth of knowledge.

Cheers!!

• gy614x says:

i agree with most of these picks, but some different outcomes….

Penn def. Kenflo by KO/TKO in round 2-3
    Silva def Griffin by tko (anything past maybe round 3)
    the rest i agree with for the most part.

i do however want Forrest to beat Anderson (though i dont think it will happen)

i do like Griffins take on the fight, and thats why i have so much respect for him, I’d like to see it go to a decision, even if griffin is getting hammered the whole time, the guys a warrior in every sense of the word, i look forward to this fight for the simple reason that its going to be a display of heart by the former light heavyweight champ.

Damn im excited

• fanoftna33 says:

I like both BJ and Kenny and though Kenny has proven time and time again how much better he has gotten I just dont think he can beat BJ. He is a great fighter, and I really belive his wrestling will surprise many but I dont see him getting a win here.
    Now Silva vs Griffen should be a very exciting fight, tense, and fast paced. I dont care who wins that one I just want to enjoy it and hope it lasts more than 1 round.

• moosebaby02 says:

As much as i hate penn in can guarantee he will not be coming in out of shape on not focused. I truly believe that because he is doing everything possible to get another crack at gsp. He stated so in an interview I watched with him. The gsp fight is all behind him now and he needs to get back in the win column for the next few fights and when he gets that together if gsp is around then he wants another shot at him. And there is the problem. He has rededicated himself only to get another shot at gsp. He is not taking ken flo serious. He might say so in front of all the cameras but his EGO wants gsp. Ken Flo is no joke. I cant see why he is such an underdog???? HE FINISHES FIGHTS and HE WANTS BJ’S BELT….sorry had to put it in there. I don’t see penn steamrolling Kenny like all the penn fans a calling. I wouldn’t be surprised buy an early stoppage by an equally determined and focused ken flo.
    Kenny by finishing the fight
    Spider vs THE MAN (only cause he bleeds). I read somewhere THE MAN walks around 235-240 lbs……..what the hell!! That’s huge for a LHW. Oh I also read the spider walks around 230-235 lbs……why is he not fighting in the LHW where he started his career??? That’s a question I would love to hear. Its like he cuts just to beat up on smaller kids. I know THE MAN will try to impose his will, get spider down, but that’s all will happen. This one comes down to who is more technical and speed. And speed kills. Here’s me raising my drink to THE MAN. Hope you get it done.
    Spider by death of speed.
    Hendricks vs Mr. No Show Sadollah. All in know of No Show is he made a very overrated (blast me for this on but I don’t care) CB quickly tap as soon as he locked on the armbar. Other than that im my view he was getting dominated. Hendricks, Hendricks, Hendricks. I guess by now everyone knows who I like in this one and I don’t expect Johny boy is going to let me down. Grab him put him down and pound his face in.
    Hendricks by referee stoppage.
    Grove vs BIG DOOOOOG
    He is bigger, stronger and well he’s the BIG DOOOOOOG
    Almeida by eating “Da Spyder” round one clipping his chin
    YEAHHHHHH FIGHT OF THE NIGHT: The Dentist vs Batman
    I hate dentists but Neer is just too much no to watch. I love his style just as much as The Dark Knight. I don’t care who wins this one because I love them both but if I had to pick I will have to go with Batman because he has a cooler suit

• Jstew3785 says:

I pick BJ over Kenny by 3rd round TKO. Silva over Forrest by UD. Almeida will sub Grove, but Almeida is not going to be the bigger or stronger guy. He’s dropping down to welterweight after this. I’m with everyone else that Neer vs Pellegrino is going to be a war and FOTN.

• metalmulisha says:

Penn 3rd round stoppage.
    Silva 2nd round KO.
    Hendricks by decision.
    Almeida 3rd round submission
    Nerr by decision.

• MMA Gospel says:

First off, BJ does not get KOed. It just doesn’t happen. Also, some of you keep talking about how bad a fighter Penn is and how he makes excuses. Penn does not lose in the LW division. His last lost at LW came against Pulver in 2002 and that was a great fight. He has walked through anyone else he has faced including Sherk, Stevenson and Pulver (who is obviously lost a lot of the “it” factor)

I can’t see BJ losing this fight. This is a fighter that has never been KTFO in his entire career. He is also a fighter that, at LW, has been very dominant. As for those that believe that Kenny will cut BJ with an elbow, when is the last time you saw BJ bleed from a massive cut?

BY will dominate this fight.

Now to move on, Forrest is a good fighter but his problem is his suspect chin. Silva takes advanatge of that and will get a much needed KO.

• CMT says:

Dang Moosebaby02, I had to print your comment for some throne room reading. As time wears on your post will become shorter. Anyhow good comment
    Ozz – did the tire tracks wash off yet.
    Ktru – did Obamacare turn you into a newt?
    I would like to see reader articles. There are a lot great commententers with different perspective that would bring more to the site.

Remember guys: Goose Fraba!!!

• CMT says:

Sorry, comnenters.
    BTW, I know BJ is probably a littler better than Florian. I still don’t like him. Go Florian!

• ozz_the_powerful says:

ZING!!!

Yeah, it’s gonna take a while for those to wear off, LOL

• neijia says:

lol CMT. sheesh at the comment arguments! that is the throne reading.

back on topic, surely after greasegate BJ is taking things seriously and has been training hard, on top of his immense talent. Penn and Florian both have the all around game but I hope it’s mainly a standup war, even if it has to go to dec.

• neijia says:

danw, I find it difficult to think a gameplan would do the trick against someone as tricky as Silva. It’s totally impossible to predict what he will do so how do you plan for that? Gameplan is better if your opponent has clear patterns. Also, if the plan is “hit him hard”, that is necessary but not really sufficient, especially against Silva.

Personally I want to see Griffin attempt the more technical and fast leg kicks he showed against Rampage, get beat by Silva’s even better speed, try for those hard hits, and see more great unpredictable moves by Silva. Given Silva’s more conservative approach lately, speed, and Griffin’s toughness, it’s probably going to decision with Silva fighting more like Machida does (before the last 2 KO’s). I don’t see either figher pulling off the TKO or sub.

• moosebaby02 says:

The funny thing CMT is that I was getting into the undercards before I realized how much I typed lol. Thanks for the props. I promise if my post are going to be long then they will have substance.
    GO KEN FLO GO

• danw84 says:

I’m well aware that my outcome I want is wishful thinking. I absolutely love Forrest which is a large part of why I’m calling his win, but there’s also the fact that he is incredibly tough and beats guys nobody expects him to beat. I think he’s got a good shot because there isn’t really anyone Silva has fought to compare this fight to. Forrest is a great gameplan fighter, and I agree Silva is way too unpredictable to be able to make a solid plan for him, but Forrest isn’t stupid and won’t just be going in there hoping to randomly pull off some sort of win.

Also I didn’t comment on it before, but I absolutely despise Penn and I hope he gets his stupid annoying face smashed so he can quit another fight.

• edub says:

My predictions:

2.Penn absolutely pwns Kenflo in a fight that puts Penn back on everyones pfp list, and has everyone saying they knew Kenny was overrated(which sux cuz I believe he is an elite top 3 lw).

3.Pellegrino edges out a dec over Neer with superior wrestling in a fight where both opponents have their moments.

4.Amir grabs another Hail mary submission adding to his mystique.

5. ANd I have no clue in the Almeida/Grove. Im gonna go with Almeida by decision just cuz I think he got screwed in the Cote fight.

• danw84 says:

“1.In a great back and forth battle Anderson Silva KOs Forrest in a fight Forrest was winning.”

I hate how I kinda feel like that’s how it could end too.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am truly looking forward to Almeidas fight to see if his loss will continue to light the fire under his ass, with a win here we get to see him in a much higher cailber fight next. Grove will be a tough test though with his reach he may be able to keep Almeida outside and win a ud.

• edub says:

I know Dan doesnt it suck. Just like the Rashad fight.

• danw84 says:

• meatloaf says:

danw84 “That was heart breaking. I jumped up and screamed “NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” when it happened…”

With tears in your eyes?

• moosebaby02 says:

i did as well. danw84 its scary cause thats how everyone i know see’s it as well.

• Jak says:

danw84… for the record, there’s no fight more that i would love to see a fighter win than i would Forrest Griffin. I gladly come here and eat my words on Saturday if he does…

But he won’t. :)

• meatloaf says:

All of you Forrest Griffin nuthuggers are going to be crying in your beer Saturday night because he’s gonna get raped.

Crying like a baby and then making a fool of himself on the mic with Rogan.

• edub says:

Damn Forrest hater arent ya. Ummm good for u.

• Jak says:

good one meatloaf, it’s awesome when people bring up fights from years and years ago as if they have relevance to the present.

I bet you also think that Gsp has a weak chin because of the Serra fights years ago, or that Anderson is easy to submit because of the Chonan fight…

Swing and a miss.

• BigDave says:

Cory I have to apoligize for the comment I posted about you earlyer today I should have not expressed my differing opinion on B.J.’s skills the way I did I just really have an utter hatred for Penn and sometimes over react when expressing that. It was not right for me to say and for that I’m sorry.

• bizzarmg says:

BJ is gonna beat kenny’s ass. I don’t think forest has what it takes to beat silva. Silva is too versatile for him. Forest is too slow. He’s good but too slow. BJ is gonna beat kenny’s ass. BJ is gonna beat Kenny’s ass. BJ is gonna beat kenny’s ass. BJ is gonna beat kenny’s ass. Sorry kenny fans.

• danw84 says:

It’s irritating when people apologize about the fact that another person’s pick is “going to lose.” Are you psychic? Have upsets never happened? Just because you pick the favorite doesn’t make you some sort of genius when what most people expect to happen happens.

“Hopefully he’ll take this loss like a professional though instead of the way he handled the Jardine beating.
    Crying like a baby and then making a fool of himself on the mic with Rogan.”

Yeah, what a wuss showing his true feelings about losing at the thing he cares about most in the world outside of maybe his wife. He didn’t make a fool out of himself in any way. He just got his ass kicked. Some guys don’t say a thing, but he returned and said “I’ll be back.” Pretty professional in my opinion, especially considering the work he does.

• Cory Brady says:

@BigDave – Water under the bridge, thanks for manning up.

• fanoftna33 says:

For all of Penns ground skill he has only beaten two very good fighters by submission, and going against Kenny who is also very adept at submissions I dont see that as a way for Penn to end this fight. His last impressive submission was in 2004( I dont count Stevenson as impressive because Kenny submitted him the same way quicker recently). I still think Penn will take this but by either tko of decision. Remember the knee bar Mishima caught Kenny with, it was brutal and Kenny was no where near tapping out. This will be a great fight and I am rooting for Florian but expecting Penn to win.

• moosebaby02 says:

fanoftna33 i forgot how fast ken flo took out stevenson and the same way he did as penn. i guess thats what kenny meant when wanted that fight to be a statement fight.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I got the same feeling as you Fan, about expecting and hoping.

All I can hope for is for Florian to catch him in the striking and daze him, and then do a rush-in a la Wanderlei and end it that way.

• fanoftna33 says:

I belive in the GSP fighit was the first time bj has bled in a fight in the ufc, but I dont think he has seen elbows like kennys yet, we may see a tko due to cuts, kenny must have put razor blades under his skin because he has the sharpest elbows out there.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I’m going for Kenny and Forrest. Kenny because he will be hungrier and Forrest because he is the better fighter.

• Angry Mike says:

Forrest is a game fighter, but he’s vulnerable to strikers with power. Which is exactly how I’d describe Silva. I like the guy, but Silva wins, and by a ko, no later than round 2.

Penn v. Florian is tougher to call. Florian is a legit striker, but that may not be enough. GSP dominated Penn because of his wrestling, and Florian doesn’t have that caliber of wrestling in his arsenal. Who does, right? Got to go with Penn when it’s all said and done.

• […] UFC 101 will feature a lightweight championship between B.J. Penn and Kenny Florian, and a 205 pound match-up pitting Forrest Griffin up against Anderson Silva as headliners, but I’m here to break down the preliminary portion of the card. If you want to read and chat about the main card, no worries, we’ve got you covered. Just click here. […]

• I think Penn takes this. Kenny is good but I Think Penns boxing and wrestling will be the difference in this fight. Got Silva via TKO. I also think Pellegrino takes Neer. Even though Batman lost vs Diaz, he was puttin a whoopin on him up until that point.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just saw the build up to the fight and it looks like Penn is actually training properly so I’ll have to change my choice for the Penn Florian fight.
    Penn Rd 2 or 3 via KO.