FEDOR EMELIANENKO SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE

strikeforcecrestLadies and gentleman, it’s official: Following over  a week of intense speculation since the crumbling of Affliction as a fight promotion, Fedor Emelianenko has signed with Strikeforce.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has just obtained the confirmation of the signing of “The Last Emperor” through a press release issued through Strikeforce.

Emelianenko is admittedly eager to return to action, and excited about testing himself against the best fighters Strikeforce has to offer.

“I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level,” said Fedor in a statement released this afternoon.

“Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world. I am prepared to fight any of them.”

Strikefoce CEO Scott Coker understandably shared Fedor’s enthusiasm about the elusive Russian’s recent signing with the promotion.

“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with M-1 Global and Fedor,” said Coker. “Fedor has been the reigning king of MMA’s heavyweight division for quite some time now so being able to work with M-1 and Fedor will substantially increase the level of competition amongst the athletes in this weight class.”

It has been stated that Fedor will make his Strikeforce debut on Showtime this Fall, and will continue to compete in Strikeforce/M-1 Global co-promoted events.

Emelianenko’s debut for Strikeforce will mark this first ever appearance inside of a cage.

Stay tuned to FiveOuncesOfPain.com as we continue to keep you up to date on all developing news between Strikeforce and Fedor, including any announcement of a first opponent.

• notdanawhite says:

crazy Russians.

• Snoop Dogg says:

this is awesome. Now we can see him fight Overeem

• dpk says:

I already said I wouldn’t watch if he doesn’t sign with UFC, and I stand by that, but the results will be interesting to see. 3 fights in this order.

– Overeem
    – Rogers
    – Werdum/Bigfoot/Monson/Lashley

I really hope this deal doesn’t kill off Strikeforce, like Pride, Bodog, and Affliction previously.

• Jstew3785 says:

This is crazy. Turn down the UFC so you can fight the “greatest” fighters out there. Overeem, Werdum, Rogers…. who else is there to fight after that?

• Jstew3785 says:

I’ll watch no matter what because he is an amazing fighter. I don’t have loyalty to any one promotion, only to MMA itself.

• ericsupermann says:

you lost me at

Fedor only fights has beens and b level promotions thats now been proven once again

whos he top level there? Gina
    Carano? Thats the best fighter Stykforce has I can here it now Gina vs Fedor

• Cory Brady says:

C’mon dpk, you know you’re gonna watch

• jding3 says:

I really like Strikeforce and I think this is a good signing for them, but I don’t believe they have the type of heavyweights that can give Fedor a good fight, besides Overeem (if he ever fights), I believe Rogers is their best prospect, but i don’t think he’s ready yet. And Werdum doesn’t really impress me too much. It will be nice to see Fedor actually fight in a cage though. that should be interesting.

• shotokai_ says:

“I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level”

Well you’re not going to be Fedor buddy. You’ve backed out of fighting at the highest level because you don’t want to upset your boyfriend Vadim. Overeem and Rogers aren’t realistic challengers, and Rogers isn’t a deserving opponent. Yes they will be fun fights but Fedor’s career is on the back nine, and I want him to test himself against the very best in the world and prove he is the greatest.

The positive aspect of this is that he will get some cage time; hopefully he will like it, as well as having no excuses if he ever comes to the UFC. I remember reading his contract with M-1 is for three fights? Is that correct?

• Jstew3785 says:

Yeah Shotokai_ that’s what I remember hearing. 3 more fights

• Jstew3785 says:

I wonder if he is going to fight Werdum on the Aug 15th card

• Angry Mike says:

This is a great boost for Strikeforce, and I’m all in favor of other orgs. succeeding. However, the level of competition isn’t as high as the UFC.

If it’s true that Fedor has only three fights left on his contract with M-1, this would give him the opportunity to fulfill his contract quickly and then neogotiate with UFC without the baggage of M-1 and it’s demand to co-promote. Just thinking out loud.

• fanoftna33 says:

I really dont see why he is fighting for them. Hopefully Coker doest let it become the Fedor show from now on. Seriuosly they have some great talent and do not need him to headline every card. I would love to see him still fight 2 or 3 times a year but still have them put 10 or 12 cards on a year.

• ericsupermann says:

I dont want a contract with the Yankees or Mets I want to go to Cuba and go copromote with the minor leages and Challenge the best in the minor leages

is anyone hearing this bull sh%t Fedor and M1 are saying?

Fedor should be taken out of the ranking for only fighting one of the top 10 heavyweights in the world if you compare him to Mir Brock and Randy they have challenged themselves with competeing with the top level contendors. This a a mark of true champions

Fedor maybe could have been the best but well never no unless he beats the best.As we speak he is disapearing into the anus of time as a man who beat no names and has beens which eqates to who cares

I would never pay a scent to watch this lack of competition.

I hope he gets knocked out by a has been and we can all laugh our asses off at him as he runs back to Russia with his man boobs.

• Jstew3785 says:

I might be going out on a limb here, but I don’t think Eric likes Fedor

• nottheface says:

I think this is a great day for mma. While I love the UFC, we are in desperate need of a competing organization: to boost fighter salaries (pitifully low when you look at the UFC’s revenue), increase fighter air time, and prevent a monopoly from dictating it’s media coverage and fighter rankings.
    And as for Fedor, I believe the plan has been for quit some time for him to promote his own PPV events – a la De La Hoya. That’s why they are so adamant about co-promotion, non-exclusive agreements, and keeping the UFC to only a couple of fights (so he could get out). He’ll fight a couple times on Showtime and CBS (Probably Overeem and a Brett Rogers vs. Werdum winner), build up his profile in America and then I wouldn’t be shocked if he fights Randy Couture, if he wins the last two fights on his contract for the UFC, on PPV. As for other opponent, I’m sure he could arrange a fight with Barnet in Japan, or next years winner of the Sengoku-Dream Heavyweight tournament. That’s enough quality opponents for the next two or three years. By then we may have enough clamor to get Brock versus Fedor done.

• Gurthee says:

Let the crumbling of Strikeforce and M-1 begin now. Friggin joke.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

True, Angry Mike. I just hope this isn’t the demise of Strikeforce though.

As of late, Fedor has kind of had the opposite of the Midas Touch. Everything he has either been a part of or fought, has turned to shit.

• dpk says:

Cory – Yeah, I am going to stick to this and not watch… unless I read that he got TKFO’d or loses, then I’ll probably pull it up online. I know that a lot of people don’t agree with me, but I’m boycotting Fedor until he is in the UFC.

I hope Strikeforce has its top talent locked up, because I’m sure this means UFC talent raid if the are not. I’m sure Shields, Diaz, Overeem, Rogers, Lawler, Thompson, Melendez, Mousasi and even guys like “Fancy Pants,” and Daniel Puder are all on the UFC shopping list if they become available, and at the very least they can drive their prices up.

• Well, at least I won’t have to shell out $40+ to see Fedor fight.

Overeem/Fedor HAS to be first.

Let Rogers and Werdum go at it for No. 1 contendership. At least, that’s how it SHOULD be.

Considering those three are the only legit HWs Strikeforce has, they’ll likely feed Rogers and Werdum some cans and let them each get a crack at Ivan Drago.

• ericsupermann says:

I would liek to see a man who is presumed to be the best prove himself against the best

I very much dislike Fedor for what he is doing M1 global you have to check it out its insulting

• ericsupermann says:

Fedor king of the Losers and bankupt mma companies

• Hohlraum says:

I really don’t see the UFC having that great of a heavy weight division. 6 or 1/2 dozen IMO. Now if Fedor was a light heavyweight then I’d be disappointed.

Some of you guys are real UFC nut huggers. Good lord.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

All I know is Overeem hasn’t defended his title in 2 years. Thats quite embarrassing, to say the least.

• randolph687 says:

what a joke.strikeforce only has 3 or 4 heavyweights.fedor definately should no longer be considered the #1 ranked heavyweight.and why would ufc wanna co-promote with m-1.what the fuck could those guys possibly do to help the ufc promote a show.fedor needs to ditch those morons.

• EdBuzz says:

Every MMA fighter should be thanking Fedor for not falling in line with the UFC. From a fan’s perspective, sure I’d love to see Fedor fighting in the UFC amongst the best, but as a true MMA fan I think it’s criminal that Frank Mir was only paid $45,000 for his loss against Lesnar. Do you have any idea how much money the UFC made of off UFC 100 pay per view? The fighters are getting paid nothing, while the UFC is claiming it’s a Billion dollar company.

Fedor is the Curt Flood of MMA. Curt Flood is the Baseball player that got free agency allowed in baseball.

Anthony Johnson, a rising star in the UFC, got paid $7,000 for his last fight. Jon Jones, another rising star didn’t crack $20,000.

These fighters need to make more money plain and simple.

I’m glad Fedor is bucking the system. I hope the UFC gets some competition because it’ll mean the fighters make more money. The UFC only pays the top guys and they don’t even make that much money. Lesnar made $445,000 for that win against Mir. GSP only made $250,000. I think the UFC made $87 million dollars for UFC 100. It isn’t fair. The fighters need a union with healthcare coverage for after they retire, etc.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

This is sad. A big strong man fighter cant stick up for himself and is being told what to do at every turn. Like when you feel sad for the guy at the grocery store getting yelled and bitched at by his wife who wont let him get newcastle or blue moon beer and says he has to drink miller light or odouls and then tells him to push the cart and not say anything else and then she takes him home and makes him co-promote her tupperware sale to his friends.

I had to get that in.

• Bad Monkey says:

The bottome line is there are too many Russians that earn their living off of Fedor. They are so scared to lose their meal ticket that they will fight to the end to make sure they all retire fat and rich off of Fedor’s sweat.

As has been said, once he fights Overeem(if he ever gets healthy enough) and Brett Rogers, who’s left?? AND, if he gets beat by one of these guys you’ll be able to hear Dana White laughing all the way to Russia.

A good move for Strikeforce in the short term, but a terrible move for Fedor’s legacy and claims of being the best. We’ll see how it plays out boys.

• manny says:

C’mon…. [deleted – no name calling] Are ya really going to question Strikeforce’s HW fighters? Overeem,Rogers,Werdum,Lashley are all good hw fighters. Now lets look at UFC, Lesnar(the only REAL HW the UFC HAS) ,Carwin(prospect)?, Velazquez(prospect)?,Couture(OLD),Nog(already lost to Fedor TWICE)So there you go. Besides the Lesnar vs Fedor fight, UFC offers the same caliber of HW fightersthe UFC offers and you know it.

• Jstew3785 says:

Thanks Manny for calling us Jackasses. We appreciate it. Now Manny you’ll have to be quiet because us grown folks that don’t call each other names are talking

• Seriously, manny?

You’re gonna throw the “prospect” label on Carwin and NOT Lashley?

Let’s nitpick your ZOMG AWESUM Strikeforce HW list, shall we?

Overeem? His biggest wins at HW are Buentello and Hunt. WOW!
    Rogers? Why is EVERYONE riding his jock??? He beat Arlovski, that’s it! Yes, that is a pretty big deal. NO, that doesn’t mean he’s a competitor to Fedor.
    Werdum is coming off a loss.

• submit662266 says:

Fedor’s mgmt know that the only thing going for Fedor is his image. If he loses to anyone then that image is destroyed (and their ticket to $$). Fedor’s mgmt will not let him fight the best fighters b/c that is too risky to their investment. Doesn’t strikeforce see the writing on the wall? Fedor fights for Bodog: Bodog is gone. Fights for Pride: Pride is gone. Fights for Affliction: Affliction is gone. Strikeforce could be on their way out. . .

• Jstew3785 says:

And when did Lashley start fighting for StrikeForce?

• manny says:

Ok, I’ll stop the name calling Jstew my bad.
    Sergio, UFC is known for top fighters but not in the Hw divison ever since Couture was champ. Either way, there’s a shortlist of fighters in each Organization, say after the lesnar vs fedor match, who is there in the ufc for fedor to fight that may actually have a chance?

• fanoftna33 says:

When did Lashly sign on with strikeforce? As far as I know he is still a free agent. Yes Fedor does have three good fights in strikeforce right now so I am happy, but after Overeem you have Rogers(because I think Rogers will crush Werdum)That is the fight right now I think will be very tough for him. That dude has a great sprawl and hits really hard. I look forward to it, now if Fedor comes in vs Overeem( a big If because Overeem might have to still heal the owww eee on his hand) and he loses is his belt up for grabs?

• submit662266 says:

Manny, you’ve lost your sense of reality. Couture, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez, and Lesnar would beat ANY of the strikeforce guys except Fedor (I think Lesnar would clean Fedor’s clock b/c of the very large size difference). The UFC didn’t get to where they are by signing mediocre fighters. Brett Rogers looks impressive, but is still a cut below the best fighters, named above.

• manny, I won’t lie… the entire HW division is lackluster right now.

The point I was trying to make is that Lesnar isn’t the only viable competitor to Fedor.

Carwin, I think, has the tools to beat Fedor. And a fight with Randy is still something I would like to see.

I would LOVE to see a Fedor/Overeem fight, don’t get me wrong. But beyond that, you’ve got Rogers and Werdum… two fights that don’t interest me in the slightest.

• mac wilson says:

If you are calling Brett Rogers a legit heavyweight and calling Cain Velasquez a prospect…. I can’t agree with that. I think Velasquez would spank Rogers. As far as I’m concerned, Kongo would own Rogers too. And look what just happened to him…

• ozz_the_powerful says:

How in the Hell do you categorize Carwin & Cain as prospects when they 11-0 Cawin and 6-0 Cain? Overeem hasnt defended his belt since…. hell, since he won it in Nov 2007!!! Werdum got KNOCKED OUT in his last octagon appearence by none other than Dos Santos, let alone his 2-2 UFC record!!

Bobby Lashley!!?? You’re talking about the guy whose toughest fight has been Jason Guida, a guy that’s 3-7 in his last 10 bouts, and he couldn’t finish him? (He does have promise though)

Manny….really?

• 27jride says:

Yeah, I’m TOTALLY with the Fedor bashers on this one. Pure disgust is all I can think about, not because I have a hard on for UFC, because everyone knows that they house the real top fighters in the world and anyone who says differently is probably a strikeforce fighter and can’t bear to face the fact that they’re B-level at their career. Fedor is a joke and I hope he fades into obscurity soon so we don’t have to hear about him or his handlers anymore. He has PROVEN that he doesn’t want to fight at the top level for fear of being exposed as a farce!

• Jstew3785 says:

Sergio is right, the HW as a whole is lackluster, but there are still a few really good HW fighters. The only matchups for Fedor that would intrigue me would be against Mir, Lesnar, Couture, Carwin, and Overeem. I can’t think of anyone else right now.

• manny says:

Ozz man, my point is UFC HW is not the best out there.

• anferny says:

Definitely disappointing. Anyhow, I am with the guys saying he will go for the UFC as soons as the M1 contract is over with..
    Still sad that we will have to wait 3 more years..
    unless of course Strikeforce agreed to pay Affliction-like money..
    we all whitnessed where that road is leading..
    but I doubt that – it is obvious that the co-promotion was more important to them then the fights in prosprect..
    they might want to start exporting the strikeforce fighters and start going after the asian and central-eastern) european market..
    the US clearly belongs to the UFC

• JollyDV says:

Manny, “my point is UFC HW is not the best out there.” Then pray tell who has the best?

manny,

I’m not exactly SAYING that they are the best out there, but c’mon, after the point I just made, isn’t it obvious?

Agreed with Sergio and Jstew3785 though. Lackluster and missing that pizaaz. Hopefully they continue to recruit, and we’ll see what TUF 10 has in store for us. My thinking is at least 5 or 6 of those guys get at least a few fights inside the octagon.

• nottheface says:

I want to reiterate what Edbuzz said; how Fedor is the Curt Flood of mma. While I don’t really agree with that analogy, there’s really no argument that fighters are not making a fair share of the revenue.

This is easy to see when you compared the UFC to other major league organizations (the NBA, the NFL, MLB), which people always seem to want to compare them to. Well if they are going to monopolize a sport let us hope a fighters’ union springs up soon. IF you look at payroll and revenue for each of the major sports it averages about 50% (in the NBA it’s almost 60%). In other words if the NFL makes $6.5 Billion in revenue, it pays out $3.3 Bil for players salaries. Using UFC 100 as an example, and going off PPV only (we’ll pretend advertising, gate, future DVD sales, all went to administrative costs and expanding the sport into new territories, so we’re being nice by putting it off limits), the UFC sold 1.6 million PPV buys. That’s convenient because that’s 2/3 of what De La Hoya vs. Mayweather did, which also generated 80 million for the two fighters (53 mil for De La Hoya and $27 mil for Mayweather). Now it’s unrealistic to expect UFC Fighters to make that much, they would also have to be the promoters (maybe that’s why Fedor is so intent on co-promotion), but if the UFC is going to be the big leagues of MMA we could expect them to pay the fighters on the card a total of at least $25 mil. For UFC 100 payroll was about $2 mil with probably another $5 mil in ppv bonuses, or $7 mil total. A little short.

So most of us should be happy if Strikeforce is able to become a viable competitor for the UFC, at least for the fighters sake. Unfortunately I believe what Fedor is trying to do is set himself up as the De La Hoya of mixed martial arts and promote his own events. That is why he is so adamant about co-promotion and why he wanted a limited number of fights with the UFC with no clauses to keep him there, so he can build his name up then promote his own fights. Here is what I see happening:
    1) A fight against Overeem for the title on CBS or Showtime
    2) A fight against the winner of Werdum or Brett Rogers on CBS
    3) A ppv fight against some worthy foe – Josh Barnett, the winner of the Sengoku-Dream Heavyweight tourney,
    4) Fedor co-promotes his own fight with Randy Couture if Couture can win next two fights in the UFC. It’ll be huge – 2 mil buys, The two make over $20 million each
    5) Brock and the other big names see the numbers and start breaking off to promote their own fights. Brock fights Fedor, each makes $30 mil +
    6) MMA becomes boxing

I hope I’m wrong

• EdBuzz says:

Nottheface,

I read your post and I don’t want MMA to become what boxing has become either with regards to shady promoters like Don King. I just want to see the fighters make a bigger share of the pie. I would like to know what the lasting effects are for MMA fighters when they get older. If football players suffer from crippling effects from their playing days, what are the lasting injuries for fighters. I want to see MMA fighters form a union and like you said, split the money pool more in line with the other top sports. No one is paying to see Dana White or the Fertitta brothers fight in the cage, they deserve to make lots of money for successfully resurrecting this sport, but they’ve got to be fair and right now the current financial structure is a joke against the fighters. I really do hope the top stars do what they have to do in order to get paid, even if it means chaos is the end result. The UFC should take better care of their fighters from a financial standpoint.

• Jak says:

I waited for years to see Barnett vs. Fedor and it was bullsh*t what happened. I get the feeling that the same thing will happen with Overeem vs. Fedor…

It will get announced and then for some reason one of the guys will get injured and it won’t happen.

As long as neither Overeem or Fedor have a past steroid problem like Barnett had, we’ll be all good. 😕

• big_9_er says:

Fedor is just scared. He must have poo in his shorts that why he didn’t sign with the UFC.

• nottheface says:

EdBuzz,

I 100% agree with you. My fear is that because there is no viable competition to the UFC right now (baring the emergence of Strikeforce), in the vacuum Fedor will start promoting his own fights, along with the other premiere fighters, and we will descend into the boxer’s winner take all pay structure. My hope is that Strikeforce develops into a serious player, and maybe Sengoku and Dream can merge to be there third force in mma. Then fighters will have the leverage to start demanding higher pay (especially by the mid-tier fighters).

As for a union -I would love it, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. The difference between MMA and other sports is because it’s an individual sport, the second tier of players have no power. In baseball the stars can make any demand they want, but the 4-12th player on a roster also has power, because while they are not nearly the draw or skill of a star, they’re needed to make a winning team. They strike and the quality of play plummets. In MMA, if the fighters on the preliminary card go on strike no one’s going to care.

Hey guys, if you need a quick laugh, CHECK THIS OUT

F*cking HILARIOUS

• twyg says:

Well what is the over/under for how long Strikeforce sticks around, about 2 years sound right? Now talking about fighter compensation, yes I agree that it is low compared to other major sports. The one thing we have to remember is that as much as we love this sport it is not a major sport yet. I mean if Roger Godell woke up and he saw that the NFL had made the money the UFC did last year he would kill himself. The UFC reported something like 285 million made the NFL made multi-billions. MMA is less then 2 decades old and for like 25% of that time they were not on PPV. As the sport gains popularity and the everyday person starts watching on a regular basis the compansation will increase. If promoters started paying huge salaries to fighters they would not be able to keep putting on shows. This signing means only one thing; Dana White is one step closer to total mma world domination because it is only a matter of time before Fedor burns down SF and Dana can come in and scoop up more fighters

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I agree that fighters absolutely need to be compensated, but does anyone else fear NFL money is going to kill the sport?

I watch college football over NFL for a reason. A lot play for love of the game, and the CHANCE to make that money. They play hurt, sick, sore, you name it. Look at the NFL though. A small injury and the guy sits out 3 or 4 games.

My fear is that WAY MORE, not a little more, money, is going to kill the sport.

I have no idea if that made sense, but does anyone else understand what I mean?

• notdanawhite says:

yep fedor knows there’s a damn good chance he’d be creamed by Lesnar. fedor’s fought giants before but none with lesnars athleticism. and lesnars skill are growing by leaps and bounds.

once Fedor is beat once, his stock goes way down.

so he will stay undefeated in Strikeforce for awhile, while M-1 gains some traction as a promotion in the US.

but dang, I hope this doesn’t mess up Strikeforce.

• mac wilson says:

ozz… there is a bunch of .gif’s out there about fedor/dana….there is another one exactly like that where the Iraqi President has Vadim’s head superimposed…….some of them are absolutely hillarious.

• twyg says:

yeah like boxing. I used to watch boxing all the time but then it became about who got more money i mean we are talking 1-2% of gate and ppv money, why do you think the hopkins-jones jr. fight never happened? why do youy think boxers may talk sh!t about mma but never get in the cage (apart from being scared) money. Every sport pays the athletes sh!t when it first starts out but over time the athletes get there money that is the way this thing works.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Off topic, but needs to be said-

Everyone keeps talking about Carwin is going to beat Brock, bla bla….

I don’t know either way, but am I the only one that saw Carwin get completely ROCKED 30 seconds into RD 1 at UFC 96 against Gonzaga?

Again, off topic, sorry. Just wanted to get a general concensus

• twyg says:

what are chances SF switches from cage to ring for fedor? And yes he did get rocked but recovered nicely if i am not mistaken.

• danw84 says:

Yeah Carwin got rocked by Gonzaga, but did he go out? Did he not recover? Did he not recover quickly and then knock out Gonzaga?

Also, to all of you talking about the lack of UFC heavyweights, are you forgetting that we are about to get an entirely heavyweight season of The Ultimate Fighter? The UFC should be getting at least a few good, new heavyweights out of it.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

If they switched from a cage to a ring just for him….. wow. I don’t know what I would say. That would just be ridiculous.

• fanoftna33 says:

Carwin looked rocked by Gonzaga and for being a great wrestler he got taken down easily. All of this can just be a case of big fight jitters. After all it was his first true test so hopefully we will see a better version when he faces Cain.

• Batman says:

Well Fedor has some competition in Strikeforce and I am sure that there will be more once UFC drops off another big name cause they lost two in a row.

Alistair Overeem [CHAMP]
    Fabricio Werdum
    Paul Buentello
    Brett Rogers
    Roger Gracie

• Obey_Giant_Silva says:

I find it kinda funny that everyone says Carwin’s name like he’s such a proven fighter. I agree he should be a beast, but just because he’s in the UFC, Fedor fears him? Please. His sole name win was over Gonzaga, who almost ko’d him. This is the same Gonzaga that Verdum beat the hell out of. Verdum is in Sf and just because he got caught by Dos Santos doesn’t make him a legit HW.

Rogers has some of the heaviest hands in the division and I’d love to see Fedor fight the winner of those two.

This is after he takes the belt from Overeem in what has me very intrigued. If you haven’t seen Overeem at HW yet, youtube him manhandling Crocop or knocking out top K-1 striker Badr Hari.

There’s two great fights for Fedor and I’m sure a 3rd and 4th will materialize in the next 6 months. Have faith. Strikeforce may deliver some great fights, which only adds to the amount of good MMA for the fans to enjoy.

Lastly, I love the UFC and will continue to buy the ppvs, but let’s quit acting like if you fight anywhere else you are a joke. Cain is another example of what looks like a solid prospect, but his sole win of note is Kongo, who nearly ko’d him twice in their fight. To me, Kongo is merely a gatekeeper fighter and lost to Herring (definite gatekeeper these days) and has shown nearly no groundwork. Watch Kongo vs. Yvel for a real treat.

Give this a chance before automatically saying this was a bad move for Fedor or MMA.

• anferny says:

From an international point of view I may add that athletes in the US are vastly overpaid..
    sure there are other sports with high sallaries on a global scale like soccer or the F1, but they are more focused on some stars and do not have the sallary-depth of the US pro leagues..
    I often think about what might motivate eg. a pro-swimmer in eg. Hungary to keep up what he is doing.. and there are infinite examples out there..
    just as mentioned before money does not bring out the best aspects of a sport..

Sure as soon as the large market(ing) cash-machine comes into play things are differnt and pros should expect an income related to the revenues they are generating for their organisation..
    but to my mind much of MMA’s appeal that relativle unknown guys can actually come within reach of the top/title quite soon..

you have the great stories of rising stars all throughout the MMA world..
    fighters who have been attending regular jobs just a few years ago can turn into stars within eg. 3-4 years due to talent and dedicaiton..

sure – being drafted into the eg. the NBA/NFL is an incredible step too.. but that guy has done “nothing else”, was a star at eg. college and and was built up from early childhood to do just that..

imo being close to the fans in a sense of at least appearing “reachable” is a large part of mma’s charm

• edub says:

I guess Fedor is just gonna fade into Bolivia…

• Davey D says:

I gotta say I’m not surprised by this at all. I just knew that once they declined the UFC’s offer, Strikeforce was where Fedor was gonna end up. At the very least, we now know where he is going and when he could possibly fight again.

If Scott Coker & Mike Afromiwitz (sp?) were smart, they wouldn’t even let Fedor even fight for their Title. As crazy as that may sound, I honestly don’t believe Emelianenko will stick around for more than 3 bout’s. If all this talk of him having 3 fight’s left with M-1 is certain & he just signed a 3 fight deal with Strikeforce. I think we’ll see Fedor enter the UFC before the end of 2010 or whenever said 3 fight’s are completed. If he sticks with Strikeforce, fine. I’ll still watch both org’s & plenty of other’s because this sport is fucking awesome & still VERY, VERY young.

The reason way we are all hyped about this is that this thing is as real as it gets. FIGHTING…we are drawn to it. Some more passionite than other’s. We can thank Zuffa for bringing MMA this far. We should probably thank Pride FC too as well but we all know where they are now. Now you have Stikeforce landing the Big Eagle…how long will he stay is the question at hand now. Will Fedor continue in his winning ways or fall to another human who happens to catch him at the very right moment? Damn, I could go on all day if you let me but I’ll stop for now. I love this shit. Cheers!!!

• mr thickfingers says:

Awesome. Fedor stays in America. He will NEVER be in the UFC now. Thanks, Vadim. But like baseball in corn fields, people will come. Come to be broken upon the coastal rocks of Fedor, an island unto itself. LOL. Plus he is Guaranteed to get primo competetion. It isn’t UFC competetion, but 4 months ago the UFC HW division was in the toilet. Now somehow its the pinnacle? Why because of Brock Lesnar? There’s talent there, but its all the same. big wrestlers with no submission skills. Sure Mir got tossed up like a prison salad, but Mir is 2nd rate. Ask Brandon Vera. If it was so great then Kimbo wouldn’t be there. W, L, or draw Kimbo’s in. The UFC wouldn’t pursue him if they didn’t need him for validity. Way to go Fedor. I can still see you fight live or PPV. Good form Scott Coker. Poke Vadim in the eye for me.

• nope says:

ozz, I definately saw Carwin get rocked by a punch that had a bunch behind it…then I also saw Carwin knock Gonz out with nothin but the weight and strength of his arm. No hips, no legs, no twist. just arm.

• moosebaby02 says:

“My fear is that WAY MORE, not a little more, money, is going to kill the sport.” Yes ozz that makes to much sense. and for person who has all the DEAFANITE dollar amounts and pay that the fighters get in the UFC I guess your in the room when the contracts are being signed and in the dressing room after the fights in Dana’s hip knowing everything in detail for you to be so sure of the DEFANITE numbers. If thats your defense that the fighters need to get paid more for agreeing why fedor did what he did THEN you have to be right. Oh and calling out fedor for not fighting the fight that we all want to see makes me a UFC nut hugger the im a UFC NUT HUGGER. And I know he has the right to do what ever he wants to do but in the end we are the ones putting the $$$$ in his pocket. I just want some one to beat Lesnar so I wont have to see the same thing fight after fight just hoping fedor could have come in and do it but I really don’t think he can anyways. So have fun fighting in the B-leagues fedor. Just don’t get clipped or strikeforce will be done

Come on does he really believe that??? I hope he had a straight face on

• shotokai_ says:

Although Carwin did recover well I do see Ozz’s point; that Carwin beating Lesnar is far from a foregone conclusion as a surprising number of people seem to think. If that fight happened tomorrow, I’d pick Lesnar. Quicker, stronger with a (probable) bigger gas tank. Carwin would take it on the feet, just, but I think Lesnar would be able to take him down more effectively than vice versa.

“Ozz man, my point is UFC HW is not the best out there.”

And manny, what are you smoking bro? I want some. To say that Strikeforces’ HW div is stronger than the UFCs is ludicrous. The UFC does NOT have an abundance of talent in their HW div but, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s assessment must be comparative and, COMPARATIVELY speaking, it’s pretty solid.

Which org has a better one? You can’t seriously tell me that Rogers (overrated with ONE meaningful victory), Werdum (2-2 UFC; weren’t too keen on keeping him) and Overeem (relatively untested at HW) mean that Strikforce have a stronger HW div than UFC? And don’t even bring up Monson and co., don’t even get me started on the others. UFC HW div isn’t there strongest but they’ve got exciting prospects and solid proven guys.

And, anyway, since when did a division’s judgement depend on how well the fighters fare up to Fedor? Yeah he could probably beat most of them, does that mean that the division’s shit? Maybe he’s just a f*cking animal.

moosebaby02 says:

“and for person who has all the DEAFANITE dollar amounts and pay that the fighters get in the UFC I guess your in the room when the contracts are being signed and in the dressing room after the fights in Dana’s hip knowing everything in detail for you to be so sure of the DEFANITE numbers”

I hope you don’t mean me, LOL, as I never insinuated that I know ANYTHING about amounts. I’m kinda lost. I was just saying that if the type of money NFL players comes to the UFC, at what point does it end? Players unions? Forget about seeing a fight if someone isn’t happy about something, whether it be contractually or otherwise. I’m just afraid if TOO much money gets in the sport, people won’t want to fight b/c they love it and it is life for them, they’ll do it for a check.

I know that doesn’t make sense, I just don’t want to see the sport as a whole get dilluted due to dollar signs. Of course they DESERVE excellent money, just not enough to the point you get a T.O. prima donna. (spelling?)

nope,

Yeah, I agree whole-heartedly! That punch looked like it had nothing on it, but it hit SQUARE in the chin. Crazy though that Gonzaga took him down and actually did some sweet G&P

• metalmulisha says:

ericsuperman enough of your trolling.

Hopefully you’re on Zuffa’s payroll and are getting something out of them for smearing up this site with these constant ridiculous posts.

Enough already with your non sense. I can’t imagine anyone is taking anything you’ve posted thus far seriously.

• Joseph says:

Great news for Strikeforce and Fedor! Since I already get Showtime, I can watch his next fight for free and hopefully future shows on CBS! Wohooo!

Really stoked about Fedor vs Rogers/Werdum/Overeem/Monson/Gracie/Lashley/Buentello and the rest of their up and coming HW’s!

• neijia says:

damn i gotta get showtime now. shoot.

fedor will get used to his cage. he will complete his 3 fights. he will kick ass and people will whine and bitch and moan.

once that’s done, WHO KNOWS THE FUTURE? why do we assume there will be NO MORE good heavyweights coming along and joining the scene? I mean, where was Brock Lesnar 2 years ago? WWE. if we are so smart about predicting the future how about also handing out some stock trading tips here on fiveounces? and why is everyone so negative? we’re all gonna frigging watch, including dpk.

• Jak says:

I;m totally excited about Fedor vs. Monson/Buentello/Gracie and Werdum as well.

That’s some top caliber fights there… :)

• MMA_RedCoat says:

Plenty of good fights for Fedor in Strikeforce.. I guess this is my new home, I’m from MMAMadness.com.. or was from there should I say…

• Jak says:

It might be a BS rumor, but there is a rumor that due to Affliction having originally signed the Babalu/Mousasi fight and with the UFC losing out on Fedor, Affliction may be stepping in to halt any immediate fights using the fighters Affliction already had signed. If there was an agreement with Affliction, it may not get any of the fighters into the UFC, but could tie up any potential fights on US soil until it is figured out.

Don’t know how factual this is, but just letting you guys know. 😉

• JollyDV says:

The disappointment is so thick you can barely cut it with a knife. We can say all the what ifs,and back track previous opinions, and all the well maybe’s, but the bottom line it is just pure disappointment we feel that this deal wasn’t able to come to fruition. Whether it is the Mafia control that doesn’t allow M-1 to sign, or whether it is just something bought Dana that M-1 can’t take, whatever the reason, our chance to see Feodor fight in the UFC has just slipped through the cracks again. I am disappointed that I won’t get to see Feodor’s twinkly blue eyes in the octagon as he stares over to his opponent. Wishing you the best Feodor,by wishing even more you had signed.
    Melissa

• Jak says:

^^^^ Besides the “twinkly blue eyes” part, that was a real good post.

disappointment, that’s about it.

• I didn’t really see this one commin. I didn’t think Strikeforce would open up the checkbook for Fedor. Besides Overeem I am not too excited for the matchups they have to offer. It seems all of the best HWs are spread all over. Barnett is probaly gonna end up in Japan, Brock is in the UFC, and now Fedor is in Strikeforce. The 3 top HWs and it doesn’t appear they will be fighting each other anytime soon. Its a shame really.

If the UFC had Fedor, Barnett, Brock, Mir and Overeem we could see some pretty good HW matchups over the next couple of years.

• twyg says:

No I think we will see fedor in the UFC but he has to kill off strikeforce first. Then when there are no other promotions to destroy he will be forced to sign or go back to japan and kill them off too. By thst time Brock will have become one of the best HW in history and will beat fedor. I wish that what I have said is just bs but come on we all know that is how this is going to end.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“didn’t think Strikeforce would open up the checkbook for Fedor”

See, that’s what’s throwing me off as well. They didn’t. He didn’t get NEAR the money UFC was offering. But he jumped on it. He jumped on it to the point nobody even knew till it was done.

Only thing I can think of is Fedor cares more about his company than he does dollar signs right now. He cares about longevity of M-1. He knows that M-1 will die off if he goes to UFC, so he had to find a place “it” could call home.

Kinda like the whole money today vs money tomorrow arguement.

• anferny says:

..which I find irritating, since he could offer the UFC to spearhead their expansion into CEE and Russian region..
    as a fighter as well as businessman – working for the UFC
    even after retiring from fighting, that would give him a long-term function wihin the organisation
    probably making more money thanks to the UFC’s infrastructure (media, fighters etc) than trying to do the same with M1’s reach..
    what I am trying to point out that I suppose in such a case its more lucrative to be a top earner in a huge company than owning 20% of a small compay with limeted ressources..
    especially since LOADS of ressources are required for expansion on an international scale

• neijia says:

ozz, you are right, it’s about money tomorrow. If Fedor is part owner of M-1, perhaps he stands to make more money down the road by building M-1. He is also a businessman, not just some emotional guy making some emotional decisions about trying to make fans happy. He is not an emotional fighter. Why would we assume he’s motivated emotionally in an irrational way? Fedor is either a) an idiot or b) very smart. He is the greatest heavyweight mma fighter – do you really think he’s an idiot??? C’mon people, don’t be so frigging naive.

I suspect M-1 is sort of like the Chinese companies who demand joint ventures with Western companies with a long term plan to grow their domestic industry and then stop the partnership and dominate the domestic market. Fedor has a relationship with President Putin, a judo and sambo fan. M-1 is likely extremely well connected in Russia. Russia has an incredible heritage in sambo and in the Olympics despite a much smaller budget than the US. We Americans are all like “oh take the big money, take the big org” but they are surely looking out for their long term and national-pride interests. Maybe they can’t stand this Ugly American approach and mainly want to grow Russian MMA. Getting experience in markets abroad and applying the lessons at home is smart.

• neijia says:

Long term, it’s about global competition and there is absolutely no reason to think an American org or fighters would dominate. Just look at the auto industry. Even look at sports. Comparing UFC to NFL is idiotic. A handful of countries play American football. Most of the world prefers soccer. All countries have great fighters and in a generation things will look more like the Olympics. If we look at the numbers of Olympic medals, the rank in golds was China, US, Russia. Rank in total medals was US, China, Russia. Americans will do well, but it is stupid to think that UFC can just grow domestic wrestlers and have the best fighters. The best are already from all over the world and that will only continue as the Russian, Chinese, and Brazilian economies develop and grow young wrestlers, judoka, kickboxers, etc. There will be more competition and long term that is good for the fans. The winner org might not be UFC, M-1, DREAM, or Art of War. Making forecasts when an industry is in its infancy is very uncertain business.

• ericsupermann says:

Mike Tyson was he an idiot
    Evander hollyfild idiot?

We can keep going LOL but I wont the point is most champions from history has shown are great fight but typicallyare a bit of an idiot when it comes to business, Maybe if my head got knocked around alot that would happen to me too LOL

• shiko says:

well, I am disappointed of course.
    I do not think MMA fights will work like boxing matches. Sweet dreams Fedor. In this sport UFC brand is strong. It would be wise for Fedor to get more exposure via UFC before making such noices.
    I think they probably hope to increase casual North America fans awareness of Fedor using Strike Force, but anyway, there is only 3 fights there worth him fighting. so, i guess his contract is 1 year 3 fights deal.
    I am sure despite talking about top competition, he knows himself there are probably 3 guys there who would look good even in UFC. The rest is probably even C level fighters.
    I am not paying to watch him until he is in UFC. The best fighter should be with sport biggest organization.

Regarding fighters salaries, it is really a shame.Obviously people who put their lives and health on line like this must be paid decent money to be able to retire to nice life after their careers over. But it has nothing to do with Fedor. He has got a great offer from UFC.

• moosebaby02 says:

no no ozz. i agree with you about given the fithers too much money as for now as someone else stated earlier mma has only been around for two decades. too much money will give the fighters to much power in the long run not saying they shouldnt have any say since they are the ones putting their heads on the line but there will to many fighters in the future won wont or refuse to look at the big picture or whats better for mma. LOOK AT BOXING PEOPLE.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Eric, I’m not picking on you, but dude, that post is IMPOSSIBLE to read.

What?

• moosebaby02 says:

There was some one with dollar amounts and im just too lazy to go over all the post and im not into bashing buj just because”IT HAS BEEN REPORTED” dosent mean its right. I love how everyone can state that since ufc did so much ppv so they make that much so the fighters are not making enough. it cost a lot to put these shows on and there is expenses that need to be taking care of that none of us get to read in the books that are kept in the ufc safe. unless your the head of the accounting department at UFC Head Office boosting out numbers mean nothing

• ozz_the_powerful says:

If you ask the fighters, they all seem to be happy too. Hell, that was Tito’s #1 complaint, and he said himself he is MORE than happy now.

• shiko says:

It looks like Fedor outlives all UFC champs by just sitting on a fence. Once all the buss was Fedor-Couture fight, now i tis Fedor – Lesnar, in a year it might be Fedor-Carwin.
    Will it ever happen?

Personally, myself, I think we’ll see Randy vs Fedor before he comes to the UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

How many fights does Randy have left on his contract, I thought it was a three fight deal. They could possiably fight for strikeforce by the last fight of Fedors contract.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s going to happen, and it won’t be under the UFC’s Banner. I could care less, as long as it’s a cage, includes two said Heavyweights, and Big John as Referee

• ericsupermann says:

Fedor Emelianenko has signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce that’s likely to begin in the fall. The common reaction from both fans and UFC honchos has been the idea that Emelianenko simply isn’t interested in testing himself against top competition.

For the sake of argument: while the UFC holds a majority share of quality heavyweights, the idea that Emelianenko’s legacy will be tainted by never making eye contact with them is a stretch.

I think for once Dana White has said it best

“Fedor is a f-cking joke,” he told Sherdog.com, among other outlets. “He turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies for no money!”

And later: “I feel sorry for the real fight fans. I wanted to make the deal, but it takes two and it is very obvious Fedor doesn’t want to fight the best, and doesn’t give a sh-t about the fans!”

• metalmulisha says:

ericsupermann = Troll.

• metalmulisha says:

Correction ericsupermann = Uneducated Troll.

Question who turns on the computer for you so you can surf the web?

• neijia says:

there are some match ups we’d all love to see. it’s about the fighters and the match ups. why should we give a crap about the organization? if they can make couture vs. fedor regardless of promotion, we’re gonna watch it. heck, put them in adcc or combat sambo and we’ll watch them grapple. put it on showtime. or put it in a tiny video player on youtube or rutube. screw the b.s. organizational tactics of both ufc and m-1. white just dumps his crap when things don’t work out for his organization and tries to make everyone else look bad. but m-1 should know the dominant org isn’t gonna co-promote. to me it makes the producers, not the talent, look bad.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

(is popping popcorn and anxiously refreshing screen to see what happens next)

• KUMITE KING says:

Hate to say I told you so…… but I told you so last week!!! HA!

• edub says:

TO whoever the staff is I hope they say something to Mulisha too. He didnt make any threats but he started the name calling with the troll comments.

• edub says:

Thats goin a little over board man. Dont you know you let the haters win when you give in to them.

You prolly should calm down dude or theyll ban u.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dude, I thought it was a bit comical at first, but seriously.

It’s getting a little out of hand. Why would you call out the admin that make this site? This is a GREAT site and it needs to be kept that way.

• metalmulisha says:

Wow!
    I see that since I’ve been away from this site this guy just can’t let things go.

edub nice of you to throw me under the bus hoping I get a warning also.

For What?

Did you read those posts?

Not only is that fighter bashing but it’s crazy talk. It makes no sense and the guys obviously not all there.
    Did you notice he doesn’t comment on any other topics aside from ones about Fedor.

• metalmulisha says:

edub I just noticed also you referred to me as a hater in one of your posts, but not the guy who’s out of control.

Why?

Is it because hating Fedor is ok in your book, but if you disagree or question anything about the UFC or don’t praise anything UFC related you’re a hater?

• bizzarmg says:

I don’t care what anyone says….fedor is scared bottom line. He doesn’t wanna step in the ring with Brock. Say what you want about him being the number 1 heavyweight, he’s gotta start fighting the best. Overeem? Are you kidding me? Hasn’t he been pretty much beat by every heavyweight and light heavyweight fighter in the UFC. He’s scared of brock. If he really is the best he should prove it.

• danisocean says:

I agree totally!!! But something interesting came up on youtube yesturday FEdor being interviewed by himself without manager/M1 Global . HE was asked what the deal was with this co promotion is it an excuse to avoid UFC. Also why would he pass up on 3 times the money and exposure

His reply was interesting he said 3 more fights with m1 global and then he would gladly go to ufc. Its seems like M1 global has the claws deep in FEdor and he has to fullfill this commitment–check out youtube this was a new interview in regards to the fans united feelings in regards Fedor

• danisocean says:

Fedor has alot of talent but when it comes to Brock hes an animal in his own catigory standing and watching Brock fight the other fighters are not really even any effort for him, Randy was able to hold him for a short time but every else no luck, and lets be honest Fedor is not in the shape the the UFC heavyweights are

It would be a slaugher

• danisocean says:

You’ll recall Werdum as an ousted UFC heavyweight who posted a 2-2 record, exiting on a loss to Junior dos Santos last October; you’ll also recall Kyle as the frequently-fouling antagonist who has shown a fondness for late hits.

If Werdum is being tabbed as a possible contender to Fedor Emelianenko’s invisible world championship down the line, this probably isn’t the level of opposition he needs to be facing.

• fanoftna33 says:

I really dont think fedor is at all scared of any ufc fighter, and if he does come over after his next 3 fights i still dont see it as enough time for Brock to improve enough to beat him. Lets face it Brocks stand up is terrible so all he can do is take fedor down, and on the ground Fedor is much tougher than Mir, with great submissions, I just dont see Brock at this stage developing the skill set to defeate Fedor.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Fan, I’ll just spit this out there, but exactly what skills does he need to improve upon to progress?

He has MANHANDLED everyone. I can’t say his stand up is horrible given the opening seconds of the herring fight; Faked a shoot and overhand right = backwards summersault.

I think brock could pass Fedor’s guard almost effortlessly, and would remain in control. I think an armbar against someone as big as brock would be nearly impossible. If anyone was big enough to muscle his way out, it would be him. His only vulnerability would have to be his legs, and I don’t see him making the same mistake twice.

• danisocean says:

ozz we think excactly alike you have to be dillusional to think otherwise

Fedors only chance would be a lucky punch we not talking normal talent against tallent where talking King Kong against a normal human

• TURKISH says:

You two should think about laying off the UFC Kool-Aid for awhile.

• edub says:

No Mulisha I throw you under the bus because you immediately called him a troll, along with some other choice words.

Just because he has stupid stuff to say doesnt mean you have to belittle him. Why dont you just argue with him until you prove most of his thoughts irrational.

Basically I threw you under the bus because your better than that. You didnt need to resort to name calling. Your posts are well thought out and knowledgable. Although i disagree with some of them.

Turkish,

NickHavok, is that you!! Did you come troll over here too??

• TURKISH says:

Troll?

Dude did you read your post I was referring to?

That seems to me to be the troll job.

And who the hell is Nick Havok?

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Dude, it was a joke. All fun and games, LOL.

• danisocean says:

Fan

Dude you can’t really be objective by saying Brocks stand up is terrible, hes knocked down Mir RAndy and HEath, at least be a bit balanced, there’s nothing wrong with disliking Brock but saying hes terrible and needs work, come on be a little bit more fair, would’nt you agree hes taken down some of the best in the world in a very short time. Of course he can get better but if thats true it will be scary to see him that much better

Id love to see some competition for the UFC in regards companies and it does take time getting Fedor I guess is a start but disappointing is there Heavy weights thats all. I think FEdor is better then what they have to offer, maybe Im wrong

• danisocean says:

Maybe Fedor will meet Brock in the Olympics one day

• fanoftna33 says:

Brocks stand up is bad, he has power but absoultly no technique. I dont think he is a bad fighter far from it, he is a great athleate, and if he continues this for another few years he will surely be better than Fedor. But realistically he has one punch standing, thats it.